2010-11-13 20:26:15

hi, today, the documentary "bat school for the blind" was aired on bbc2.
It's a doc about me going to los angeles and learning  echo location, if anyone wants a listen,  you can hear the audio here. unfortuantely its not audio described, wich is a shame, feedback is very very welcome.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5497004/Teensvi … _Blind.ogg

2010-11-14 17:08:00

that documentery's cool. i whish i could do all that stuff.

2010-11-14 20:25:07

It was very interesting to listen to slightly different experiences and approaches from the UK and US. It also had to be interesting how the programme was being prepared and created on the run, while you were going through it all yourself, there were no in advance preparations except that you were contacted and it was arranged for the documentary to be filmed while you were on the trip. Or at least this is how it appears to me. Did I perhaps get a wrong impression?
Echolocation is probably a lot more natural among the younger blind people here in the Czech Republic, and among those who want to be as independent as reasonably possible. That is, we don't seem to make such a big thing out of it by talking about it or having dedicated courses and classes just for it, but we do use it actively in our every day life as it just rocks and is really incredibly helpful, and using it becomes second nature after some practice. Maybe you can do more using just echolocation and all your senses than I can, I would have to have the visual part of the documentary described to me to be able to judge that. But I am also pretty confident and satisfied about my mobility skills. I always carry and use my cane with me, that's right, but I don('t go like tap and hit and crash into every single object on the way. I rather carry it diagonally in front of me in case my hearing fails to pick up a lamp post or whatever similar kind of obstacle, and am able to travel pretty surely and quickly most of the time. The only times I do use it actively are when I have to walk around someone or something, or when searching for a crossing or stairwell. I don't even have to use it to find an open doorway in the tube or subway or metro (or whatever you call it) vagon all the time. I don't have to click my tongue or fingers all that often to be able to hear the sound waves bouncing from objects all around me. Most of the time, just the sound of my steps and perhaps cane is enough, along with all the other sounds around me, to provide enough information. I always try to make as little noise as possible when using the cane, but nevertheless I am able to hear far more, and sometimes from quite a distance away, than I could ever feel with the cane. But some things just cannot be heard unless you want to drop to an almost complete halt and start moving your feet by inches and leaning your head in the general direction of the expected distturbance and clicking your tongue or whatever. LOL
I enjoy exploration, or having to get to an unfamiliar place, quite a lot whenever I have to do it, but I don't go out wandering without having absolutely no idea where I might be just for the heck of it. LOL
It would be really enjoyable and worthy to meet a blind guy from the UK or the US, or just any part of the world as a matter of fact, and just have some nice time together and compare our mobility and independence skills and tricks. That documentary brought a lot of such questions and thoughts into my mind. Congratulations on your huge progress, and hope your mom is at least a little less anxious about your safety by now. Smiles
Crossing my fingers for you.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-11-15 18:01:13

My dad saw this, apparently, as he mentioned it to me...

I do pretty much the same as Lukas. I try to avoid doing a lot of cane-tapping, but if I'm trying to travel rather quickly and know that where I'm walking (... running?) has a lot of hard-to-sense obstacles, I might do some two-point.
(I'm on a campus littered with knee-high brick walls. There are some areas where finding those things is difficult.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2010-11-15 21:41:59

Wow, I think I can imagine that. That must be pretty annoying. What annoys me the most about my independent moving around is that I am often offered help by people who are even less mentally skilled than myself. LOL I guess you all can tell what I mean. It can be told from their very manner of talking alone that they feel compassion for you just because of their false assumption of superiority, that they are better in most regards than you, that you are absolutely and utterly helpless and powerless and that you just couldn't be able to perceive the depths of life without sight. But what gives those people the right to treat us like two-year-old mentally disabled children, perhaps just because they are unable to imagine living if they were to appear in our shoes suddenly, is beyond me. So keep it up, everyone, despite the potential frustration! yikes)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-11-18 14:56:49

Heh, that's very true. It's worse when people will randomly grab my arm to help guide me... in the direction I was already going.
Once several years ago, I decided to just grab the hand of a person doing this and glare at him. He proceeded to apologize profusely for a whole minute. I felt bad enough that I mostly ignore such people anymore.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.