2019-02-24 00:37:28

Hello,
Does talkback have direct typing support like in voiceover on iOs? If it doesn't have this mode, then how can I write to google about this so they can add this feature? and btw, off topic but, is the native google mail ap for andorid accessible for talkback?
Thank you

2019-02-24 00:51:04

Isn't direct touch typing the mode allowing you to touch each letter and it is entered? If I am right, then by default you can just touch on the screen where the letter is and it will be entered, no need to go into a special mode. As for mail, most stock devices come with the gmail app which is accessible for sure, however some like Samsung phones come with their own apps which may  or may not be accessible (in the case of Samsung it definitely is), but even if not you can just install gmail from the play store. For providing accessibility feedback about anything to Google, it's enough to go to https://g.co/disabilitysupport

2019-02-24 00:56:18

Direct touch typing is kind of the concept deployed and taken to the next level by fleksy (now flicktype) but dumbed down a bit lacking predictive input. I would much rather recommend getting a tap wearable keyboard, or the remote that GRad was talking about. Or, if you want a no-cost solution, telnet into your phone through your computer and type to your phone through the computer keyboard.

2019-02-24 11:41:44

Hello,
Thank you for your kind replies

2019-02-24 11:53:29

There's a difference between touch typing and direct touch typing.
Touch typing allows you to enter letters with a single tap after you lift the finger from the screen. Direct touch typing doesn't give this possibility, meaning that if you tap on a letter, it will be entered, no matter whether you lift or do not lift the finger.
Android devices, except Samsung devices, by default use touch typing. Samsung also supports this method of typing unless you enable rapid key input.
Hope this helps.

2019-02-24 14:07:54

but how would you tap a letter without lifting the finger? I don't quite understand that explanation. Unless you mean something like a split tap?

2019-02-24 15:55:42

When yu use touch typing, you first touch the screen with your finger, find the position of the letter, lift the finger, and the letter is typed. When, for instance, you want to type another letter instead of the one under your finger, you don't lift the finger, but keep moving it until you have found the right letter. It is then that you lift your finger to have the letter entered.
In direct touch typing, no matter whether you lift the finger or not; if you touch on the keyboard, the letters will be typed. If you move your finger intending to find another letter, all the letters you run into will be typed because it is direct touch. Direct touch is much like having no talkback or Voiceover turned on.

2019-02-24 16:16:01

When I used to use Android I would use the Fleksy keyboard and disable Talkback while typing just because it was much faster. Keyboard input on Android using Talkback is sadly very slow. To answer the question precisely, no, Talkback has no form of direct touch input, neither for keyboard nor for developers to use.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2019-02-25 04:54:18 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2019-02-25 05:08:12)

jack wrote:

I would much rather recommend getting a tap wearable keyboard, or the remote that GRad was talking about.

elaborations, or further explanations on this are highly appreciated.
ah, right, tap? I am really not sure now and I had proposed another alternative which was probably better, faster and a bit more physical (definitely cheaper)

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-02-25 07:30:43

If you want a more up to date review on the Tap, go here
It is admittedly pricey, but you are getting what you pay for. Is it a one-size fits all? By no means. But most premium android phones even don't cost nearly as much as an iPhone and thus could leave a bit more room for extras.

2019-02-25 09:25:49

Touch Typing (not "direct" touch typing,) is available on both "Samsung" and "LG" devices, though LG has touch type turnned off by default.
That can be changed under "Accessibility."

The only keyboard that technically lets you use it with Talkback on and is not a normal keyboard, is 

Swift Braille
, where you "connect the dots" in order to make words.

NB. I was a beta testor for the keyboard, which is now Open Source , and was last updated on the play store in October 2018.

2019-02-25 10:37:21

a bit OT but I never could understand how people can do that on iOS. Like, I literally tried and couldn't type anything, just jibberish. If there was an overlay that sort of had tactile squares that matched the position of the keys, I could see me getting used to that type of thing, but without that... I just don't see how people do that. Though, if you can master it, you'll be typing at full speed like sighted people, probably even faster since you wouldn't have to look.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-25 17:55:12

again, tap is an interesting idea, but it would not be that reliable if I have not hard surface for it. The review is interesting, however its just all around mac based (understandably the site is too) but I am not really sure if it supports international characters for example. I know for a fact the other one I suggested does. Even if it is cumbersome, the possibility is there. How do you space or delete using tap?  or hit send, or move the cursor? you certainly can do this with the other one. Plus having actually physical tactile buttons helps much more I would think.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-02-25 19:27:52

Firstly, Tap is not mac-based. Applevis obviously is but Tap can work on mac, ios, windows, and android.
Also, there are about 15 international keyboard maps last I checked.
space=tap all 5 fingers at once
delete=2, 3 and 4
To move the cursors, do one of two things:
voiceover mode: when using tap with an iPhone, you have actual combinations that mimic ctrl+option+whatever the gesture is. For example:
3-4: scroll right
1-2: scroll left
finger 2 double tap: conveniently, double tap
And the list goes on.
2: use the actual arrow key gestures: in number mode, you have gestures to control arrow key movements.
On iPhone, you have an interactive accessible tutorial for the tap alphabet and related gestures. I have asked about Android and they are actively working on making the Android version of the tutorial app accessible.
Trust me, the learning curve is not as steep as it seems.