2019-01-13 04:29:59

I'm planning out a new pc build, and thought I'd ask this question to see what you folks thought. The motherboard I'm looking at has to m.2 slots that operate in PCIE Gen 3 x4 mode using SATA III  or NVME. I'm wondering if it would be best to invest in two separate 500gb NVME ssd drives, one for the os and one to install games and other apps on, or if I should get just one 500gb ssd and install everything on just the one drive? Does installing apps onto separate drives from the os drive improve throughput and reduce bottlenecking, especially with m.2 NVME drives, or would this be a waste of 170 bucks? I've tried Googling and haven't found anything about this being done with M.2 NVME drives, only with a mix of drives as an upgrade on older computers. O.O Glad to post motherboard and drive specs, if anybody thinks that would be useful.

AKA president731

2019-01-13 11:48:54

here are 2 questions to think about.
1) how much storage do you need for games and programs? is 500 GB enough, or do you need the 2 drives to make it a total of 1 TB?
2) if the 500 GB is not enough, then you obviously need either multiple drives, and or a bigger drive. if that is the case, thought of just getting 1 1 TB instead of 2 500 GB SSD's?