2006-01-27 00:47:16

Hi, Well, just as the topic says. Right when enter the forum, my toshiba satelite a45 (celeron 2.80 ghz) processor goes wierd, it slows down...
I noticed this for 3 months now, I reinstalled my computer like 10 times since them (get viruses from downloading cracks)... Anyways, when I log in the forum, and right after I reinstalled my computer, My computer starts making this stedy beeping noise, not loud, but soft. pss, pss, pss, pss... every second. In fact, its going right now. Jaws slows down, its a pain to read the forum.. Some computer info:
ram: 752 mb
Cpu: 2.80 ghz celeron
Windows version: Xp_sp2_gdr.050301
jaws: 7.0 full
Internet: A slow, 14.4 kbps (sometimes 24.0, but it did go down to 9.6) connection
soundcard: Sound Max digital audio wdm driver
L2cache: 128 kb (not the best)
l3chace: none
Battery: Lithium Ion 12 cell battery
hard disk: 37.26 (devided into 3 partitions)
Well that's it. I don't know if any other UFO's... I mean people are experiencing this problem.

Tomi, the big fat UFO

Regards:

tomi

2006-01-27 07:47:48

your computer is perfect, in my oponion. but i think it's because of your connection that you get such results, not sure though. i don't know about your CPU, but jfw must be because of that, i guess.

2006-01-27 10:11:35

Hi...not nice to hear you are experiencing problems. However, I cannot think of anything else than your internet connection or some kind of worm or virus. The forum is nothing else than a bit of text, everything happens at the audiogames server. There is no strange technique or anything and just clean validated code. Your computer just recieves the text information and that's all! So I think the connection would not be the problem either.

Beeping noises from your computer...that's never good. Perhaps you should try a memory test of check of you have a boot sector virus.

2006-01-27 19:14:09

Some pages slows down my computer, like divx-digest.com, but that is a jaws problem.
My cooler begin to cool the cpu (it is dinamic), and the comp slows down.
However, if you go to your desktop, then everything is okay, until you go back to that homepage, which caused the problem with jfw.
I uses several computers, several os, and the problem happens.
If you have this kind of prob, then you should download webformator (it is a program which gathers the text from web-pages, and you can read the webpage with internet explorer, just it will open a webformator window, where the text will be) from:
http://www.webformator.com
I dont think so that the forum generates your problem, because it is only php code, and maybe a database file, or more.
(Dont think Richard that i hacked it though, i am just know it from the url smile) Just kidding.

Best regards
RJ

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-01-28 23:20:40

I'm having exactly the same problem on a win2k machine that I sometimes use to read the forum. The machine goes sluggish upon starting to read a topic. The speech synthesizer actually pauses in mid-sentence for several seconds.

Task Manager tells me this is in fact a JAWS problem (jfw.exe uses up to 99 % of CPU resources). However, it is not the HTML code in itself which causes it. I downloaded a forum topic and opened the HTML file locally, and the machine remained as responsive as ever. I strongly believe it's the stylesheet because this was not downloaded along with the page. That's not to say I think the stylesheet is invalid, just that JAWS may have problems handling it.

Greetings,
EternalGamer

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2006-01-28 23:35:28

well if i wrote an example with divx-digest, then i should say this is possible, because divx-digest contains style sheets as well.

HTH,
Robjoy (the StyleSheet-master) tongue

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-01-29 13:33:16

We could try to track down the bastard by asking: Is it possible to instruct Internet Explorer not to pay attention to stylesheets? I know there is a way to define a local stylesheet that will be applied to every site visited. However, I don't know if this would just take precedence over the non-local stylesheet, or really replace it.

Geeks, I need your help! ;-)

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2006-01-29 14:52:43

Mmm, interesting. We'll forward this question to one of the programmers/accessibility advisers over at the Accessibility foundation where we work. He knows an awful lot about stylesheets AND accessibility. Maybe he knows about issues concerning styesheets and screenreaders. One thing though: we use the same stylsheet throughout all sections of the AudioGames.net website: the homepage, the forum, the database entries, etc. We even use the same stylesheet for the PlayCenter, although we only changed a few graphics. If it's *only* on the Forum-pages, than I think it is the stylesheet of the forum itsself that gives the problem, not the AudioGames.net stylesheet.

Greets,

Richard

2006-01-29 16:12:40

I can say that I'm using Jaws 4.51 and have no issues with this forum. Not trying to contradict anyone, just that I don't personally have an issue.

I have occasionally had issues with web pages causing slow response from my system, but I haven't generally associated it with style sheets.

Again I'm not trying to contradict anyone, just trying to help narrow it down. I'm only using an Athlon XP 1500+, which is about 1.2 or 1.3 ghz with 256mb ram. I've used the same system with both Windows ME and XP having had no issues. Just adding this for comparison.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-01-29 16:31:39

To narrow it down, I've had the issue only with win2k and JAWS 5.10, no other combination. Win XP and JAWS 6.10 works fine ... in fact, I've never had slowdowns on any web pages using this combination.

But we all know how it is with computers ... if we find it in the end it'll be something obscure that noone suspected.

Greetings,
EternalGamer

2006-01-29 19:10:28

Murphy's law. I swear Murphy was a programmer.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-01-30 00:10:42

hmm... I've installed windows server 2003 sp1, and its not doing it...

Regards:

tomi

2006-01-30 10:54:59

It is possible to disable style sheets. However, some pages may not load properly.

2006-01-30 11:18:34

So I found out. You would do it like this:

Internet Explorer on Windows = The only way to disable stylesheets is to edit the windows registry (Start - Run - 'regedit') and changing the value of 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\Use StyleSheets' to 'no'