2018-01-24 13:38:03

Playing A Hero's Call over the past month and having so much fun with it--thanks a lot Out of Sight Games, you are officially the bomb in my book, has put me in a fantasy sort of mood. Therefore, when I temporarily needed a break from AHC I attempted to find another fantasy type game similar to AHC but with less complexity so I could just have a little fun and not have to actually concentrate a whole lot on what I was doing. I came across an old audiogame treasure, Entombed. I've played this game a bit, and I have to say the mechanics are interesting, but why did the developer of that game release it and not update it? The bugs in that game are particularly annoying and if you just want to have a fun time wandering a dungeon and relax for a couple of hours, forget it. The game crashes for no apparent reason and it just gets very annoying after a little while to beat into submission. I'd love to see a game similar to that be made, but with less bugs and possibly some other tweeks. I've toyed with doing something like this myself--I have a very steep learning curve and there's no better time then now to figure out how to write code--after all the BGT engine is very easy to get and there is extensive documentation. I guess I'm just writing this as a rant/discussion starter, do you all think another dungeon crawler would be a great idea or do you think we need more games with an actual storyline etc?

2018-01-24 13:49:54

hmm, dungeon crawller will be fun indeed...

2018-01-24 14:34:47

A dungeon crawl isn't bad, but if you're going to do it, please, please consider doing some variation in classes/skills/spells, maybe even races. Entombed did this fairly well, though it's unbalanced as hell.

If it's just "random adventurer with random skills, random spells, random stats and random gear goes into a random procedurally-generated dungeon of randomness, fighting random monsters for random gear until they die randomly", I will personally give it a pass. I don't need a novel's worth of back story, I don't mind exploring, and some randomness is okay...but if the whole thing is just to see how deep you can get, and most of it's full of wild cards, it's not my thing, and I'd personally rather see you do something with a little more...substance, I guess.

But this is just my own two cents' worth. Others may feel differently.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-01-24 15:41:58

Hi Holden,

consider this:
A game is roughly as good as the sum of its key components. There are great story driven games with average game play, extremely fun games with no story at all but interessting or challenging game mechanics or not to deep games with great art design (grafics/sound).
So if you manage to make a game with that kind of greatness in one of its components it will be worth to play. But you probably won't unless you are a kind of genious.

So this is what I would do:
I would concentrate on one distinct feature and try to make it as good as possible. If it is the genre of dungeon crawlers I'd research all the characteristics of them carefully and really put some weeks into just inventing the core mechanics before actually writing code.
Dungeon crawlers are really easy to write but awfully hard to make them fun to play. Thats because their game play needs to be really well developed. Entombed is quite nice but a bad example for game play nevertheless. It is unbalanced as already said, it is repetetive and it is to random in most cases.
But if you want to be sure that your game won't be a waste of time you should also consider to make it unique in some way. Write a good story for it, try an interessting twist in your art design or come with an idea I don't have big_smile That won't just make it a better game in general but also might broaden the niche of possible players.

Don't feel discouraged by this though. I'd love to play another dungeon crawler like entombed. And I think I am not alone.

2018-01-24 16:17:33

I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm carefully watching this topic to see what comes of it. I am very aware of at least some of Entombed's flaws. It's extremely random with no real back story, and I'd like to see what kind of back story I could come up with for a game of my own.

2018-01-24 21:02:45

There's Kirkirkruip, a text-based dungeon crawl with tons of unlockable enemies, weapons, items, etc.  You can download here.
I do agree we need more dungeon crawl games, and RPG games in general. I still have not got a copy of AHC, so I don't know how good it is (or isn't.)

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2018-01-25 17:55:01

First of all, to me at any rate, AHC is the greatest game for the blind at the moment. I don't think there's a game that even comes close to challenging it. There are some that are almost as fun and interesting, but to me, AHC is truly where it's at as far as audiogaming goes. We were bouncing this idea around and let me ask what you think of two potential premises  I've come up with. One is that you're traveling through a forest. A nature witch is not happy that you're disturbing her domain, and she decides to do something about it. She uses her magic to make you stronger, but only so she can watch you languish in her pit of death. Unfortunately her magical prison is so sprawling that forces within it have formed alliances and factions and are actually at war with one another. There is some randomness to the encounters, there are shops you can find along the way, you can make friends or rescue beings who may decide to join you etc. The other is that you've died and gone to Hell, but it's a shambles. There are demons wandering around, but then you notice trolls, elves, goblins etc that are there, as well as cyborgs and other sci-fi related creatures. You have to figure out why the place is in such a state and, if you can, escape. Do either of these sound good or get anyone here excited about a potential project?

2018-01-25 22:40:07

I personally disagree that entombed is so unplayable, bugs only really occur with transformations, though I agree the game has balancing and pacing issues.
That being said I always found it fun to play anyway.

For me a random dungeon crawl is actually a good thing provided you have some control over the randomness. Look at roguelikes like Antband and see how they combined randomness with tactical gameplay. Kerkerkruip did a good job of this too, though that is far less random.

For me the real killer with a dungeon crawl is lack of description.
You can have the worlds most interesting and complex battle system, but if all you get for atmosphere is "you walk into a room, it has a goblin, the goblin has 30 hitpoints you fight, you attack the goblin using yoru sword and do 2 damage, the goblin blocks" etc, then I don't really see much point in continuing, since what exactly is the appeal in encoutering a beholder or a black dragon or a fire imp or any interesting monster if it's presented like a mathematics exercise.

Please! give us something for atmosphere here.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-26 03:26:55

Hi.
@Holden, I like the sound of the second premise because it provides sci-fi and fantasy elements. Entombed soured me on dungeon crawls, Mostly because you go on a long journey and don't really get much satisfaction once it's completed. Dark is right on, audiogames, especially rpgs need more atmosphere. Usually what you get is a most basic description of something, but it doesn't really paint a picture for you.

@Jayde, I was wondering, did you get your own rpg off the ground? I hope so, last time we talked it sounded like you had some intresting ideas.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-01-26 10:49:53 (edited by Honk 2018-01-26 10:55:29)

Dark wrote:

For me the real killer with a dungeon crawl is lack of description.
You can have the worlds most interesting and complex battle system, but if all you get for atmosphere is "you walk into a room, it has a goblin, the goblin has 30 hitpoints you fight, you attack the goblin using yoru sword and do 2 damage, the goblin blocks" etc, then I don't really see much point in continuing

I totally understand your point here. I just want to state that in my opinion the "worlds most interessting and complex battle system" would totally qualify for a really great game. I don't think you really need much more, provided the mechanics are really as great as that.
Think about this: Does your favourite board game has delicately carved figures, a complex background story and a cool sound track? Probably not. The fun part of it are the game mechanics. That can be quite the same with video games.

But I also think every little bit of atmosphere improves a game a lot, don't get me wrong with that. And I also love games with a compelling narrative structure. But I think especially the genre of dungeon crawlers mostly lives from its game play, not its dense atmosphere.

Edit:
Maybe you need to clarify your thoughts about this: Do you want to build an rpg or a dungeon crawler? There are huge differences between those genres, even if they look quite the same.

2018-01-26 13:23:21

For myself, I definitely prefer the forest over hell. I don't really love mishmashing genres too much in cases like this. I mean, I'll deal, but personal preference-wise, I'd like fantasy, the forest and such.

Also, I actually got a bit of a rush when I finished Entombed. I got out, after all, and that last boss fight was a dilly. And no, it's not unplayable, not at all, but some classes just...aren't that good (thief isn't great, adventurer is meh, paladin is awful). Then of course you have the few bugs, such as transformations and the like, which can totally screw you over, and make druid in particular a one-trick pony with its lightning skill.

2018-01-26 19:16:10

Someone please create that hell game. Would be really insanely awesome. I do agree we need more diablo style crawlers. Entoomed is, well yeah, unbalanced, and also gets repetitive after like 3 hours of playing. I like that idea of hell though, someone should create that. Also i'd like to point out that I personally prefer audio over text for some reason, so something like kurkurcrub with its text-based world isn't really my think, I prefer games like this with audio driven worlds.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2018-01-26 19:29:13

Oh, right, almost forgot.
Yes, my RPG is off the ground. Not too far off the ground, but it's been started, anyway. My coder and I are working on it as time and circumstances permit.

2018-01-26 23:48:47

Hi Jayde.
That's wonderful! I'm very happy for you, hopefully we will see another awesome rpg soon!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-01-27 01:38:17

@Honk I think this is a matter where you and I just have different priorities.

I have often played games where the atmosphere far out stripped the mechanics,  instance Eamon deluxe and similar, but I can't think of too many occasions where I've found the converse true.

of course I'm not talking about a novel here atmosphere wise, just some idea of what a goblin looks like, or what exactly that "large demonic broad sword" you took off the black minotaur actually is so that it's more than a collection of stats.

Still I'm sure it'd be possible to find a happy medium, indeed if you look at some of the most noteable dungeon crawl games such as Angband or Nethack they definitely had this level of description to go with the ascii graphics.

As for games in development, the more the merrier I say and I'll be glad to play any rpg that comes along.

Oh Btw, anyone with an Alexa should definitely check out the game actually called! dungeon adventure since it rocks, has both description, randomness and tactics, the only downer is that the commands aren't always clear without looking over the games' facebook page, still the more I've played that one the more I've enjoyed it, albeit the difficulty can be somewhat steep.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)