2018-01-22 04:04:50

done

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-22 14:02:36

@Dark

To the stories here, I add my own bad experiences with immature players and admins, and I simply decided that if that was the way people were going to act in multiplayer games, then I'd just not play them and avoid all the drama.

Now if you take a bunch of friends with their laptops, then hook them all together through an Ethernet hub, all to play multiplayer games through the network, those I enjoy. Because these are all friends instead of strangers, you don't have to worry about or deal with somebody acting like a jerk or a baby.

2018-01-22 14:14:10

Alter Aeon is a multi-player MUD where you never actually have to deal with other people if you don't want to. You can take as little or as much person-to-person interaction as you wish. Players can't screw with you unless you let them, pretty much. And in the few cases where they can, there's protection against it in the rules so that if it does happen, you have a valid way to fight back.

I'm not a huge fan of one of the game's admins, but he's not terrible either. He and I just strike sparks a bit sometimes. Generally, though, it's probably my favourite MUD overall.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-01-22 14:33:15

I've been advocating for AA less and less as time has gone by, but overall, I'd still have to agree with Jade that it's the best of the lot.  time to try aardwolf.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-22 16:34:44

I'm not  a huge fan of altar, bores the crap out of me.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-22 17:25:31

@orko, in 13 years of playing multiplayer games I've rarely encountered the sort of arsehollary described here, most admins of games  have been at the least competent at running things and I've rarely  ever had problems, indeed the vast majority of admins for indi games tend to be nice people who have a vested interest in making a nice experience for all players.

the most major issues i've had are with games that have an unrestricted pvp policy where the pvp can actively hurt your progress and experience,  In the vast majority of  cases, this is more due to how the games are setup themselves, ie, no in game regulation of pvp and the fact that I personally tend to dislike pvp and resent when it is forced upon me in a game where I want to do something else, rather than  bad game design or favouritism on the part of the admins.

Alteraeon, Erion, Frandom, flexible survival, core exiles and puppet nightmares are all examples of games I've played with exceptionally good admins and playing experiences which can be customised to a player's likes and dislikes, all are also games I've put time and/or money into which should tell you something.

Really the well run games outrank the badly run ones, which is why cases like Empire mud are both so sad, and also so coment worthy.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-22 18:28:19

Alter is really not a good idea of being able to play solo as you want. You pretty much are forced to group at higher levels or you're useless and/or just won't progress at a decent speed.

2018-01-22 18:45:26

Yeah, things are certainly heading the way sorressean is hinting where AA is concerned.  Newbie stuff is being dented, changes are being made which benefit mostly the higher level players, most of which are long time standing members, obviously, and the level of interaction that was once only something of a choice is starting to be a forced get going or get lost concept.  with  the changes to scrol scribing that happened a couple of months ago the administration team made their mesage clear; we don't want you to find ways to make it easy/convenient for yourself; your benefits are going to come at the hand of someone else, if that someone else decides you're worth their time.  clans are kind of a must thing now, and only the big clans are really making it anywhere, which means you either join Dominion, chaos or some other such clan with a high standing, many of which are full of people who's ethics and overall character I find rather distasteful.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-22 19:03:31

There's a reason for the newbie denting stuff though, and having run many, many characters through the islands, I can explain this. I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, Nocturnis, but I do want to provide a bit of background.
Most of the content on the first two islands is extremely easy, and can be blown through very fast. The same is true for the first third or so of Archais, the third island, but the upper portion (level 25-26 and up) gets a little harder. They have made mob damage a little less at very low levels to encourage people to stick around, and they've also lowered exp and stuff so that you don't blow through the game quite as fast. What's been happening is that players finish Archais's entire quest line at level 27 or so, then hit the mainland and get kicked around pretty hard. Or, they don't get kicked around, but they have no idea what to do, no direction (I've been in this boat, I know how it feels). So they're trying to encourage grinding and re-running areas earlier on, because you really didn't have to do this before.
That being said, there is a lot of higher-level content and stuff being released, and the game's max level was just raised from 37 to 38, which is probably a good thing in the long run. They're going to be adding/shuffling skills a bit after they collect data on what the raised level cap does to the player base.
So for me, personally, this is a wait-and-see thing. Depending on your class and build, you absolutely can fight solo at higher levels, if you know where to go. Necros and druids seem to do this best, while clerics and mages seem to have the worst time of it on their own.
Enlightened is a clan which, at last check, is pretty safe and still fairly active, and I personally don't find their members distasteful, aggressive or problematic. They're actually pretty helpful. Being in a clan is not, in fact, an absolute requirement, not even close, but even if it were more insisted upon than it actually is, it's not as if you, say, get extra exp for being in a clan or whatnot. It's not game-defining. It just means you have access to people who probably know the game better than you. And hey, if thre are such resources available, I say take advantage of them if you want. No PVP is forced on you, and in most cases no other disadvantages (like clan dues) either.

2018-01-22 21:13:21

Enlightened is the clan I'm a part of, actually.  I do find them a rather helpful bunch and about the only clan I'd honestly recommend joining if you want or even begin to advocate for, though I've seen even people like Mertag becoming disenchanted with the overall way things are going on Alter.  He may not say much, but I can just, tell.  :d

2018-01-23 03:43:43

Draak here. Just to give you guys a heads up:

We are aware of the problems with areas and quest progression on Archais and the transition to the mainland. Morpheus and Dentin are both working on smoothing out the level progression on Archais, and Morpheus is currently working on direct quest linkage between Dragon Tooth and Ralnoth. From there, Ralnoth is a hub that can take you into Wallachia, Khal-Uktar, Nueva Grenada and beyond. We'll gradually shore up the story lines, but Ralnoth can be overwhelming, as it is nearly three time the size of the largest city on the Westering Isles. With year-end events over, we'll be able to devote more attention to these details.

Regarding high level groups being a required, I personally have been converting outlying group exp zones into autoleveling base solo zones (that is to say, the base strength of the zone is calibrated for a solo character, but it will adjust the level and power of the mobs to match the size and levels of any player or group that enters it). There will always be areas in intended for groups, but there are plenty of solo zones and base solo zones on the high end, too, and more in production.

A.K.A. Draak - talk to me about any Alter Aeon questions or concerns!

2018-01-24 08:02:56

I'm in the low 20s but archais is definitely harder than I'm used to, although the last bits of kordan did also start to get challenging (I was very surprised when a parrot killed me with one hit!) The game is still fun though, and I like the area descriptions; that zombie island was pretty funny.
About the empire mud, it actually sounds like something I would like to try. I really enjoy strategy games, so might be my thing. Does anyone know if keyisfull's server is still running?

2018-01-24 13:50:27

You can reat your own server if you so desire. But the original places have lots of land still remaining. There just are a lot of ruins everywhere, since a lot of players come in and quit after some time. I've been there from the start. Khufu possibly doesn't like nagging, but that's a thing. I've started my empire countless of times over and over again, because I end up quitting for months and everything just falls into abandonment, but never have I had any problems with finding that piece of land to build and found cities. Can't we all just get along?

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2018-01-24 13:52:01

I should get an answer from khufu to this, because he was willing to comment on this acually. I'll post it here.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2018-01-24 14:27:07

Ultimate proof of YMMV:
The zombie island is perhaps my least favourite area on all the islands. It feels too jokey and weird, considering it's, y'know, infested with zombies.
But on the other side, there's a new area that just got released on Archais, and I quite like that place. Very grim, fairly difficult. Not a whole lot of gear and rewards, but plenty of killing and decent exp.