2017-12-31 16:20:29 (edited by Dakonna 2017-12-31 16:24:18)

sorry for being a bit late on this one, I try to usually create this a few days after christmas, but there's one game I simply had to wait for release so I could put it on the list. Vote for your best game of 2017 here, and share any thoughts you have, or any games that aren't on the list. There probably will be such games, because this poll system only supports 7 entries so there were some casualties. But for completeness sakeI'll get some honorary mentions out there. Please note that these games were not left out of the voting process because they were sub-par, I had to do it because of the entry limit on polls.
a heros call, released... just two days ago: This one's kind of a no brainer for probably everyone involved. I've spent hours with it already, and I probably will spend more of my time with it in 2018.
Cyclepath, released end july: if you heard a description from someone else, it'd probably sound quite dull. Drive a bike, pick up coins and jump over shit. When you actually play it however, you probably won't stop for a good while. Probably mostly because of that stupidly expensive bike that costs 15000 coins and the amazing sound design that was put into this game.
Audio strike, released in october: What morakuma did was basically take the good old genre of space invaders games, and make it about 42 times better with multiple difficulty levels to unlock, different ships and other unlockable craft to take into combat, upgradable weapons and the strategic use of temporary buffs, I think they did a great job.
The road of life, released mid december: If you've ever wanted to put a more lethal spin on a truck simulator well this game does it. From the description it looks a lot simpler than it actually is. You'll believe me once you're trying to hold out till the next antiaircraft gun, swerving madly around the place trying to dodge fire from nazi airplains while at the same time looking out for ice holes.
Scroling battles your world, released end march: I guess what makes this game last as long as its lasting is the sheer potencial for expantion it has, with everyone being able to easily create content without any knowledge of coding. That, and the fact that for some reason people find it extremely funny to put you in infinit door loops you can't get out of unless you suicide.
Echo quadrant, released mid march: When you first start the game the idea looks quite simple and repetative. Buy a bunch of cargo ships and complete contracts, while trying not to get your ass kicked by pirates. Most people thus stop playing before they get to the interesting stages, with mining, colonies, etc all being a possibility.
Dark defender, released mid june: One of the first things I thought when first playing this was "People need to make more early video game accessible ports." Its quite astonishing how much time you can spend flying about planets blowing up aliens, rescuing a bunch of people then getting blown up yourself.
Unfortunately not votable, but still more or less great games of 2017 were:
The table flipper, released at the end of october: Many people who I talk to say the game is stupid, and they refuse to play it because of that. Personally, I think its a great little time waster, but to each their own opinions.
Humans vs. robots, released mid march: While this game's download links, website and server seam to go all over the place all the time, if you can access it its actually quite fun. That is, if you can deal with the inevitable brain overload from a wall of sounds.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-12-31 20:01:28

You know its got to be #AHC lol

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-31 20:34:40

Hi.
AHC bro, hands down.
When it comes to casual games you can waste your time with a bit, cyclepath is definatelly my go to game here. The road of life also isn't bad and puts a historical spin on a trucking game.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-12-31 21:20:43

ok, so Scrolling battles your world is deffenetly my favorite. Not just because from interesting maps to who can complete x map in y minutes and z seconds, but simply the people who play that game are cool. Sure there are some party brakers from time to time, but they get banned pretty quickly, and over all that's one of my favorite online games.
I cant say anything about AHC, though from what I have heard it sounds pretty awesome.
Cyclopath is one of those games whitch I had problems starting, then when I managed to run it, found out to my shock that I just sucked at it. I did manage to get to some level, but after some time I have decided that I wasn't clearly a type of a guy for that game, though maybe I could try it some other time and who knows, maybe I would really manage to get somewhere big_smile.
Audiostrike is a game whitch I quite like, though I didn't play it much so I cant give a ferr review about it.
I didn't play dark defender and Echo quadrant so I cant say anything about them.
and as regards games not listed on that list.
one of the games whitch I really enjoyed was scrolling battles rewrite. when I first downloaded, that day and the day after I have almost spent 100% free time on it. I think I reached the level 50 by then. sure after about level 140 it was really boring, taking that almost all weapons would kill an average enemy in one hit, but because you can expand it with everything from enemies and weapons to pits and characters, it's always fun to play.
Humans vs robots was one of the games that I really liked, though when I have reached level 130 od it got boring.
all in all, I think that my end vote on this is going to be SBYW.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-12-31 21:29:01

A Hero's Call, all the way, no other choice really.

I tried Audio Strike but when the installer came up in a language I didn't understand, I aborted it, then deleted it. Doesn't really matter though, for a space invaders like game I have Judgement Day and Space Encounter, so I don't really need another one.

2017-12-31 22:02:49

ok, put AHC in the list is really a rough play, but well.
Personally i don't concider AHC as a 2017 release, so, my bote is for audiostrike. amazin rail shooter game.

2017-12-31 22:16:27

hi, anything that either was released in 2017 or had a release date set for the boundries of 2017 was quallified. Its the reason the list was put up late.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-01-01 13:14:58

A hero's call for sure.
It was SBYW but now it changed.
And with this post, I became a tank compadre!
smile

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-01-01 18:36:47

Hi,
A Hero's Call should probably be done as best celebrated game for 2017, definitely most anticipated game and the sheer time it's taken for this team to put this thing together, five years, and it's now out, and worth it, and they're still going.
Best arcade game is really hard for me. Audio Strike is the japanese devs, and once again, they do what they do in an awesome way, I sunk a lot of time into that and still haven't beaten it on easy.
Dark Defender and Cyclepath are cool, no other word for it, there's this thing about not having music that makes them immersive and they are fun casual/arcade style games that I go back to, and am impressed with the way they bring their concepts to life. The same can be said for Road of Life, I mean all you've got is that wind, and when I heard that and no music, I was like, oh my word, I am alone out here in a truck, and considering it's historical impact as well, it's actually very haunting/scary when you think about it like that, and I really love it because of this.
Overall, 2017 has been a fantastic year for audiogames, capped off with the release of A Hero's Call to bring us into 2018, and in 2018, we have:
Echos of Levier
Brain Station
And some sort of other adventure game that I forgot the name of. Oh, and also that new prince thing coming to mobile in January, from the maker of Nanoempire.

2018-01-01 21:39:06

No Blinded Guide? I mean. A Hero's Call wins hands down. It's not contest, but still...

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2018-01-01 23:19:29

OMG how could we forget blinded guide! Well @Liam I like the fact that you used the 8-bit style for some of the presentation of this game, mixing and matching it with some modern sounds for the gameplay. Speaking of which, said gameplay added a nice little twist on what would normally be an arcade-style formula, bringing some thinking into the mix based on how you turn. Does anyone even know if this sort of style ever happened in mainstream games at all?

2018-01-02 10:53:11

A Heros Call, for sure.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen