2017-07-07 01:30:17

Hi.

A comment on the blind gamers list (audeasy as was), made me consider installing these, and I was encouraged when hunter installed, registered and played absolutely fine
However both troopanum 2 and blast chamber, though they installed and registered fine without an issue give me a similar error:

Both are installed in an audiogames folder I created on the C drive (not in program files), and both are run as admin. I even tried the "compatibllity mode" thing but that did no good at all.

The error is:
---------------------------
Troopanum 2.0
Error 432: File name or class name not found during Automation operation while loading file game intro.
OK   
and
Pipe 2.0
Error 432: File name or class name not found during Automation operation while loading file gameIntro.
OK   

I know classic pipe and troop 1 don't run well on windows 10 but I am less interested in those (I never bought them back in the day), however it would be very nice to be able to play troopanum 2 and pipe 2 again on my new machine, so if there is a setting i'm missing here or something I need to install for compatibilitysomewhere I'd be interested to know about it.

It's odd, other than dos programs I think these are the first programs I've had issues with on windows 10 (even superliam installed without a hitch).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-07 11:42:23

Hello Dark. I don't know if this will help but I found that running the check up file in the swamp audio game folder fixed a lot of those types of issues for some reason.  It fixed a lot of older games and having them running under windows 10.

2017-07-07 12:48:08

Right, it registers the necessary DLL files to get those VB6 runtimes installed. Definitely worth a try, and when I know I'm installing older games, I'll get an Aprone game just for that file, lol.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-07-07 13:44:27

One of the very first things I  when I got this machine and started installing games was install both Jim kitchin's bundle (complete with the winkit), and a couple of Aprone's games.
I also  ran Aprone's checkup again last night just in case but no go, troopanum 2 and Pipe 2 still give the errors I mentioned.

It's actually rather odd, everything else I've tried has been fine accept for actual dos titles, I wonder why these two specifically have the issue?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-07 21:53:38

I heard it had something to do with the encryption scheme Justin used. This is why I was a little upset when he decided to sell his unupdated games for $75. I know the issues started with Windows 8. I've been able to make them run by running the .exe file through the administrator command prompt. Just navigate to the game directory by typing something like cd c:\program files\pipe\pipe.exe or what ever your file path is. You may be better off running these games on Windows XP. Justin should have updated his software.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-07-08 16:40:45

I don't have a convenient xp machine anymore to use, it really rather surprises me given that most everything else I've tried has worked okay.

I've already tried the "run  administrator" thing it didn't work. This is rather weird indeed since these are literally the only windows games I've had trouble running at all.

2017-07-08 22:01:15

@6
If you read the post carefully you'll see it makes reference to the admin command prompt rather than running the program as admin, two different things as far as Windows sees it as far as I know.  I look forward to hearing your results if you give this a go.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-07-09 01:07:39

Sadly, this workaround no longer seems to be valid in the Creator's update of Windows 10. I used to use that myself, but after I bought my new computer, I realized that I could no longer get either of those games to work, nor the original Pipe and Troopanum games. Hunter works fine, and I haven't tested either of the two Word Strain titles. Since I installed all the Visual Basic libraries, ran Aprone's checkup, and made sure I had several versions of DirectX and .net Framework installed, this really shouldn't be an issue, seeing as how that was what it took to get things working smoothly on my old computer. The only difference is that this machine is running the Creator's update. Actually, the old one is, too, but considering that I upgraded that machine rather than doing a clean install as I did with this one, it's the only inconsistency I can find.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-12-29 01:22:55

sorry to revive this post from so long ago but.. I am able to run those games just fine if I press windows plus x and run the admin command prompt and then locate the game executables installed on my windows 10 64 bit machine.. and I think I do have the fall creators update. I am  not sure is how to create a shortcut to automate or make the process easier but I am sure that can be done somehow. The game appears to consume much of your CPU but it works just fine, no lags here.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2017-12-29 10:34:42

I was able to run BSC Games on Windows 10 from elevated command prompt as well, but they were a bit buggy, so I've simply created an XP virtual machine with free VMWare Player where I'm now running older games.

2017-12-29 20:35:42

it seems like running a virtual machine is probably the best way to go about it. I still haven't found a solution to get these games to run for me with the Fall Creator's update, so I suppose I'll have to stop being lazy at some point and create a virtual machine so I can enjoy them again.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-12-30 15:51:51

ugh. well after some testing I just cannot run any of the classic versions, no matter which way I do it. I get this weird error, "error 1570 user attempting to break protection" . not sure if that really has to do with the antivirus, I just have windows defender at the moment but it hasn't jumped at me with any kind of false positives or anything like that so now I am stuck on those. But troop just runs fine. I guess the slight CPU overhead is to be expected.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…