2017-08-02 01:21:13 (edited by cw 2017-08-02 01:21:57)

I figure that someone has to bring this topic up. Here is the page where the audio can be found. Notice that I did not give a direct link to the audio. the description given is just classic. Anyway, what is the real player basic like? Is it worth my time when it comes to trying? I know it would be know Alter Aeon, but how does the two compare? Alter Aeon is more well known to me see that I have an account over there. I also know about clok and have played clok. I also know about discworld and know that that is a total different area when it comes to muds and or moos. So, let the talk begin.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-08-02 04:20:04

I found MM to be fun for the first 20 levels or so. after that I found it boring. A lot of rooms have same descriptions, having to grind again and again... Nope. Sorry. Too Grindy. AA has different descs for each room, more areas to grind in and more quests. I remember MM needing you to type something weird to open doors, so when I started I was like the fuck do I type?

2017-08-02 14:20:22

Mmm has changed a lot from when I played I think and many of the issues I had with the game such as levelling yourself out of quests are  fixed. Though bare in mind you will still need to do lots of  since locations in mm are pretty huge.

I'd recommend giving it a try and seeing how it goes.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-02 15:30:30

I think my main problem with the game were the lack of sounds, and even the sounds that did exist weren't the best.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2017-08-02 17:16:50

Seriously, what is it with blind people thinking they need a soundpack to even get any level of enjoyment out of a mud? I don't understand this.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2017-08-02 17:23:31

Usually I agree with you, but at the same time I like soundpacks for my more involved worlds.

2017-08-02 17:24:32

While the Alteraeon soundpack is a labour of love and absolutely a good thing, in a way it is a shame that that is so many people's first experience with a mud since that creates waaaaay unrealistic expectations of what other muds should be like.

This is another reason I want to write a newbie's guide to muds and note that these days alteraeon pretty much plays more like  audiogame than a mud and if your forever looking for a similar experience you'll be eternally disappointed.
With Materiamagica, it is true the in game sounds aren't exactly stellar even as compared to a game with similar levels of sound like classic six dragons, but then again the fact that there are sounds at  is a bonus.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-02 20:34:39

Ok now that I'm not half asleep I can actually go more into detail. When I say soundpack, I honestly don't expect alteraeon level detail and sound structure. All I'd really like is a soundpack that can give me important cues such as channel history so I accidentally don't ignore a person. The soundpack available does do that, but it causes everything to be read in sapi and opens like different windows with their own history buffers which can get kind of annoying when you're just looking for output or a quick history kind of thing.

2017-08-02 21:17:34

hmmm, it must be a different soundpack to the one I know, since last I recall the game just had some downloadable sound files that played via msp, (one of the few games I know that use it), and the only way to get channel history was with the standard history command just like  most standard text muds.

Again, while I appreciate the convenience factor, having just sat for the last while playing aardwolf and making frequent use of the history command with just the games' text when I was in a position to  read safely out of combat, I personally would just recommend just getting used to playing a text game as! a text game.

2017-08-03 16:22:59

I hate multiclassing. it's hard for me. I dunno why. I play alter because it's there not through any real love of the game. MM was okay for awhile but as someone else said got boring.