2017-07-30 17:26:39

I started playing this on Friday and it seems like a lot of fun, but I have a few questions regarding this game for those that still actively play it.

Firstly, is this game always this baron? I played for quite a few hours this weekend and I saw one other person the entire time.  Even when I check who is online with the who command it is always just two or three hero level guys and an idle immortal or two. 

I am playing as a thief, and I keep dying when I have to fight quest monsters that are hard difficulty.  It is not hat I fight poorly though, it is just that my skills sometimes just miss several times in a row because I have not practiced it enough.  It would be so much easier if there was a tank around to take some of the hits.

This is restricted to missions though.  When I just do random quests they are super easy.  Because there is no one around I have already managed to win 2 global quests simply because there is no one to challenge me.  I managed to become the third best house point earner for this month on my second day playing the game.  I just leveled to level 3 and I already have about 50k gold which seems like a lot to me.  I don't actually know, because I am too low leveled to actually buy anything decent.  I can't even buy armors from some of the newbie shops yet.

If there really never is anyone around it would ruin this game a bit.  A lot of this game is meant to be players challenging each other.  Is it even worth it to still play this? Mindless hack and slash is no fun if you have infinite access to resources, but you have to grind off of bunnies to get to actually use it.

Am I also right in assuming that the NPC interaction is kept to a minimal? There does not seem to be much point to exploring unless you have to find something for a quest.  I mean, you will never find some weird NPC at the bottom of a hole that wants you to get food for his cat or something.  It seems like all quests are provided by quest masters.

I guess I am a bit too used to playing alter aeon, but for the amount of effort the devs put into creating secret little nooks, it just seems like there should be more.  Can someone tell me if this gets better? If there is at least a bit of motivation to go on?  I have read this game has a slow start, but this a bit too slow, especially since I have to recall and heal fifty times during a mission since I am too weak to be an effective one man army and you need a ton of experience to level up and get better skills.

This game seems like it has a lot of potential.  I just want to make sure that it is actually worth the grind.  If the biggest thrill I am going to get is to see if I can beat my own best scores or do my best to defeat the most agile flock of geese to collect some feather for for a reward that is a tiny fraction of what I can earn by just winning a global quest unchallenged I guess I would rather seek greener pastures.

2017-07-30 19:56:34

Erion is a fun game with a lot to explore, but it does have its issues, two in particular, slow progress and lack of missions.

Pvp and challenge isn't something I care for too much, so it never bothered me that I was able to win the house contest in my first month, likewise I actually like the fact that in Erion its possible to win global quests when the game generates them, in aardwolf for example you don't have a cats chance in hell at global quests since there are always so many other people doing them, many of whom are seasoned players who know the game inside out. Likewise I like the fact that  Erion it is actually possible to buy quest eq and for it to be useful, in Aardwolf you need literally thousands of quest points all the time.

I also enjoy the random systems in erion  such as chocolate bunnies, sigil drops, crystal shards, the collossium etc, other players (especially the devs and immortals), in Erion are also nice people (very different from Aardwolf), Erion also has rather more fun abilities to use, you don't just type "kill" and wait, but get interesting techniques to play with (I love being an archer and shooting at a distance).

The really problem with Erion really  that levelling in the game is very slow, and since many of the npc missions are intended to go with faster levelling, this means your rather stuck at lower levels exploring the same areas. This is why I don't play Erion as much as I used to, which is a shame.

I did hear  originally had more xp from monsters and so faster levelling and that that got dropped a few years ago, its a shame that either the devs can't add more missions or drop the xp rate so that you can explore more of the game.

Generally speaking, if you want quests and story Erion and Aardwolf aren't the games to play, they are hack n slashers.

Aardwolf progress is faster, but combat is less interesting being mostly a case of typing "spellup" and then fire and forget, also while you progress faster and see more zones  in aardwolf many are random and don't feel like they fit with the game wor.d
Another huuuuuuge! problem with Aardwolf is that  npc goals in the game (like missions or quests in other games), are close to impossible due to guess the verb and random clues, and other players are generally not too helpful with them.

Erion is the smaller game, has more random stuff to keep you going and possible progress with the autoquests as well as far nicer devs, but levelling for xp is much harder and while the npc missions are far more possible and other players are far nicer about helping you with them there aren't as many, ---- though being as the aardwolf missions  so impossible it's barely even worth your time attempting them both games are probably much of a muchness for npc quests, its just a question of whether you prefer a game with lots of quests that are close to impossible due to obscurity and players who don't help, or a game with fewer quests which are! actually possible and fewer players, but ones who do big_smile.

Now as to your immediate questions.

Erion has a really useful eq search command. You can use this to find npc equipment which is close to your level and gives bonuses.
Try help eq search. As a thief you probably want similar equipment to what I use as an archer, namely equipment with agility bonuses and armor class.

Also remember quest equipment helps, and check the university since there is some useful gear there, including gear for pin slots which you won't find elsewhere.

As to skills.

Remember that in Erion abilities make a difference. As a thief try using throw kick and backstab, also remember to check the theive's guild for some of the thief specific  that you can buy with those quest points.

If your not sure what to do with gold, you can convert into mudpies, or buy collossium tickets, since again the collossium has some good gear.

Hth.

I might get back on Erion myself. My char is called tanquest.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-30 20:58:40

Since creating this topic I managed to go up by two levels due to a double experience period.  I just ran and killed things the whole time and almost gained three levels.  I am aware of the eq search command.  I was under the impression that it only works for mob drops, and thus far those are usually like level 10 equipment that have weaker stats than my level 1 stuff.  I will explore a bit more though, I also like the random events that constantly happen in the background like the chocolate bunnies and all the scrabble games.

I doubt that this will keep me here for long though.  I really would like a more quest driven game with decent combat, but all the other games that seem interesting have serious role playing which I am not too fond of.  I like playing games with other people, I just don't like being forced to play the game with them.  Especially when it is an RPG.  In Erion I would have like a rival or two, but I agree that Aardwolf is too crowded.  It sucks when you know exactly what you want but can't  seem to find it.

2017-07-31 13:35:10

Actually the eq search command might help you, since often you can find good stuff kicking around on mobs, so I'd advise checking it every few levels or so, it's also notable that Erion's eq search is in the game itself, where as Aardwolf you need to use an off mud site database to find equipment.

Erion and Aardwolf are both combat pounders and pretty much are what you get, though imho Erion has better combat and zones and the random events and such which keep things unique, though I do wish advancement was a wee bit quicker.

If your looking for a game with lots of quests similar to alter erion probably isn't going  exactly fit the bill, though I still find it fun on occasion.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)