2017-03-29 14:34:50

Hi all,
I'm on a windows 7 64 bit machine, so I can't currently play eamon deluxe natively. So can someone please suggest the best way forward to start doing this, as I'd like to try it one day?

2017-03-29 14:51:05

I'd be interested to know this myself since Eamon deluxe is awesome.
I don't know if there is a way to do it with talking dosbox or similar, indeed I do wish the developer would get back to me since with the technology available now it might be possible to create a stand alone, multiplatform self voicing eamon deluxe which would rock!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-03-29 20:44:31

Imagine if he could get the thing working with something like, say, the tolk screen reader abstraction library.

2017-03-29 20:52:10

Talking DosBox both comes with and works with this natively. I was playing with it just the other day. It's not as easy to navigate as having a virtual windows XP machine to play on, but it does work. Basically you just need to download Talking DosBox, get asap working since it's the screen reader that responds the best in the emulator and load up the game.

2017-03-29 21:38:35

Well, I use a windows xp virtual machine to play it. I got an email from Frank, the creator of Eamon deluxe. Unfortunately he did not let me know if he was planning on upgrading the remaining adventures. However, he gave me a code we can use to play all adventures even though they are not upgraded to eamon deluxe  5.0. Here's how to do it:
When you choose a set of adventures not upgraded to eamon deluxe 5.0, you will get a message saying the adventures are not compatible with eamon deluxe 5.0 VI mode and you will get two choices. Do nothing and exit. When you are on that screen, press the following letters one at a time and press enter after each letters
b o r t
After that you will be on a menu where you can select those adventures. They are not converted, but they can be played just fine.

2017-03-30 06:33:55

So how easy is it to get Eamon working on a VM with NVDA for instance? I've always had issues getting VMs to run on my machines though, is there a preconfigured VM I can just extract and run and put Eamon on it and will my actual screen reader work on a VM?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-03-30 09:48:32

I do remember getting one email from Frank black last year where he appologised for the absense and promised more work was happening, but when I emailed him back I didn't get another response.
it's a shame there was one point when a lot was happening with eamon deluxe, lots of great convertions and extra games, and as you said Aaron with the technology around now it would be possible to bring the game to an even wider audience.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)