2016-11-23 05:09:02

Recently, one of the most popular genres of mainstream games has been the multiplayer online battle arena, or MOBA.
There are many MOBA games, including League of Legends and Dota 2 (which are arguably the most popular MOBA games out there).
This is one of those genres which doesn't really exist in the audiogames community as of yet.
So, what are your opinions of an audio-based MOBA game?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-11-23 10:31:37

Good luck making one....

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2016-11-23 11:31:37

If I'm right in thinking, are these the ones where you pick characters, each with different weapons and go into fps environments and battle? It's very different from a fighting game, before everyone suddenly starts thinking about that. Instead of going one on one you sometimes go two on two, or even six on six, or maybe even larger. Also, the abilities are different too. So some characters might be able to heal others, some might be able to cause stuff to happen although I can't really think of any examples.
Unless Overwatch is one. I don't really play it as it's not really doable but there's a character called Tracer who can, I think, leap great distances or something, there's a character called soldier 76 who has an ultimate ability that basically auto-aims, there are characters who can use melee and there are characters who might be snipers but two sniper characters play ver differently from each other.

2016-11-23 11:57:18

Actually Aaron, the arenas in games like league of legends aren't fps, they're more like huge third person battle arenas in games like dark souls or world of warcraft and your characters fight in full 3d with surround attacks, damage zones etc, as well as ranged attacks and so on. Even though the perspective is different, from what I understand the tactical play is actually rather similar to that of fighting games.

Again it's not a genre that interests me personally, me being more a single player exploring sort of bod than into the pvp, and while I'd certainly try one if it was around, unlike huge rpgs it's not something I pine for.

As to doable in audio, again your looking at creating a very complex, competitive systemn similar to a fighting game, and the audio version probably would! need to be first person.

Lets first have someone create a full audio action rpg with a number of enemies, timed attacks, and 3D movement, and then worry about porting that to online. Remember the moba is esentially just an online expantion of a game type which has existed in the mainstream now for nearly 20 years, going bright back to games like Zelda occerina of time on the Nintendo 64, and since we haven't yet had any games of that type, (though a blind legend is certainly a step in that direction), perhaps we need to walk before we can run, ---- quite aside from all the usual concerns of resources etc, indeed I don't think there are any indi produced moba games at the moment, they're all the big mainstream companies.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-11-23 14:51:43

A decent MOBA would not be hard to create, given the resources we have already... the problem is that there aren't enough developers in our community who put enough time and are knowledgeable about the way combat works to actually make a game that's complex enough to keep people coming back. Every example we have of an FPS is a point and shoot type game where mashing of the fire key and who can press the arrow keys to aim the fastest is way more advantageous than trying to come up with any sort of tactic or play smart. That's not a bash against any particular game or people, just a statement of fact. As Dark Said, we don't even have a fully functional Zelda Style RPG with attacks based on timing, not in English, anyway, since we are keeping Japanese games out of this discussion. But communicating multiplayer combat in a an arena without decent audio cues rather than an overwhelming meriad of beeps and tones is very easily doable, both if you know what combat, especially combat in video games, is like, and if you can picture combat tactics and strategies. As Dark said, once you add in the factor of multiple combatants, the mechanics actually are very similar to a fighting game, so not as different as some may think.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-11-23 22:11:21

Opinions? Well, this new genre of games is awesome, and extremely addicting. This would bring multiplayer gaming in the blind community up to a whole new level...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-11-23 23:45:49 (edited by magurp244 2016-11-23 23:46:44)

This isn't the first time the topic of MOBA's has [popped up].

MOBA's originated, or at least were popularized by certain Warcraft 3 community mods wherein players would control a single hero unit with various abilities against other hero units with various NPC controlled faction units mixed in. Both Dota 2 and League of Legends, along with blizzards Heroes of the Storm more closely follow their RTS roots and are in fact 2D not 3D, although more recently Smite is third person 3D and Overwatch is a 3D FPS hybrid moba. Its possible that SoundRTS could be modified into a moba, but nothings happened so far as I know.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer