2009-06-28 14:25:13

Hi guys,
I just suddenly had a thought to create this topic, as it's very much game related, although not really audio games, they're still fun.
I'm talking about the games in amusement arcades. From the old to the new, these are fun. Space invaders is a classic example of one.
But, yesterday, I went to southsea which is a in the uk. There, is a place with 4 different arcades. I played some awsome sounding games! Jurassic park the lost world is one of those light gun games, and even though it was released back in 1997, I still think it's one of the best sounding arcade games around, with surround sound, you hear the dinosaurs, and i even noticed some details i've never noticed before. I actually heard the dinosaurs moving! it has some good music in there as well, although it's not from the films. In another arcade there were some pretty whacky games, one of them being called hit alaska or something like that, an you had 9 buttons and the idea was to whack them frantically a bit likee whack a mole, bu there were bosses and stuff (the funniest one was a seel smoking a cigar!) and at one point were the most dreaded of all enemies: the revenge of the ninja seels! yes, these guys kept changing what button you hd to hit, but i had help and managed to beat them. There were other stages but i don't want to say too much as it might spoil the fun if any of you ever get to play it.
Overall, I think some arcade games are just brillient, from the serious like lost world to the absalutely funny like hit alaska, and there's loads more games that i haven't discussed (like warzaid), and guitar hero arcade.
I'll stop here, as this post is already getting long enough. So basically, discuss arcade games here, old and new alike.

2009-06-28 14:53:54

Light gun games are accessible? I have to admit I'm sort of intrigued about this.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-28 15:29:29

I played the lost world as a co op, but i have also tried it alone with success. i basically just point the gun in front and fire, but with surround sound you get even more clues and you can point in the general direction of the dinosaur. we got to a boss and managed to defeat it, and once before, we even completed the game (about 1 hour of constant playing) the bosses need sited help though as there's a week point you have o hit. but with the co op game the boss was defeated rather quickly less than 2 minutes i think.

2009-06-28 17:07:48 (edited by Shadowcat 2009-06-28 17:08:30)

has anyone tried the time crisis games yet?
if any, is it accessible?
those games have some good music too

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2009-06-28 17:42:15

Sadly, the thugs appear all over the screen in all the time crysis games I've seen, pluss, you need to know when to duck out of the way, --- ie, when one of the thugs is trying to shoot you, so no, not accessible.

I've actually never found a light gun game that was, ---- even from a low vision perspective, though many do have great surround sound I will agree.

Starwars trilogy is another one, not accessible, ---- but worth just sitting in the chair and hammering the buttons for the experience if nothing else.

Low vision wise, I used to play quite a few beat em up arcade games, some of which I imagine as being highly accessible without graphics.

Both Killer instinct games, ---- especially if (as happened in one arcade I knew), they set the sound on super, blow out your ear drumbs loud volume!

I was never a tekken fan, but Soul edge (the first soul calibur game), was great in the arcades, and of course I'm the sort of age that remembers the first arcade releases of games like Mortal Combat 1 2 and 3, and all the street fighter versions.

It was always great going into an arcade each summer seeing what new beat em up was out, ---- and of course in those days, arcade versions were always superior in sound atmosphere and graphics to the console conversions.

I think the most fun I've had in arcade have been walk along beat em ups, such as final fight, double dragon and the like.

One old arcade I knew used to have the ultra cheap double dragon machine at ten P a creddit. On one pound, I very nearly finished the game, ----- in fact got to the final level, but ended up falling foul of too many traps.

the simpsons and Ninja turtles beat em ups are also big favourites of mine, ---- ad I've actually sinse got them on mame.

Final fight was my first beat em up at the age of about 8 or 9, ---- yeee Gods! this topics making me feel old, ---- lol!

The nice thing final fight wise though, is I now have the Gba version, which, pluss a big tv screen, the gamecube player an my mighty X arcade joystick, is very literally arcade perfect, ---- though with added bonuses like not having to pay, ---- lol!

I'd now better go and comb my long grey beerd and put in my false teeth, so you young whipper snappers behave yourselves, ---- ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-06-28 18:47:59

two words: Mortal Kombat

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2009-06-29 02:00:13

All I got to say is that this topic is makeing me feel young. let's just put it this way, if it came out before 85, it was before my time, but if it came out before 1990 I wouldn't remember it. I had played some arcade games, but I can't recall what they were. so I probibly didn't play anything major. I have played some of the NES and some of the SNES and those games were more of me pushing the buttons to hear the different sounds. Wish I spent a little more time to learn starfox. anyway keep on talking about it. I like to learn about these things.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-06-30 16:57:22

If anyone is interested, i have a recording of a full playthrough of star wars trilogy arcade. yavin level was comleted with no sited help whatsoever, and i'm totally blind. i got a tiny bit of help as dad once said, "in the middle", but the stereo and surround sound was enough to get me through... until... "almost there, beep, beep" the music pumps up. buttons change to torpedo mode and hear you need sited help. Dad aimed for me, and when i fired... i think i fired slightly too early. it didn't go in, the ship blew up but i still advanced to the next level. has anyone heard the lightsaber sounds on that game? they're all the classic ones. you use the joystick to attack, but it's hard because you have to know when to, as it's arrows moving around the screen. I'll have to trim it from the big recording i made, just the playthrough, and upload it somewhere i think. it's about 30 minutes long maybe a bit longer, containing all the levels, the saber fights and even the final battle with the second deathstar. it's in mono, because my milestone's mono, but it's still great. i put it up to the speaker in some moments like torpedos and the saber fights.