2016-09-10 17:38:14

Escape From Cyberdyne is a new freeware game, written in BBC Basic for Windows, and designed from the ground up for blind gamers by a developer who is new to audio games. So I would be glad to receive any feedback.
It is loosely based on the old BBC Micro arcade game called Cybertron Mission.
The mouse is the main method of sensing and control, with speech and four sound channels providing information about the environment. Limited graphics can be turned on as an aid, but the game was designed to be played non-visually.
As the sounds are created programmatically, the size of the program is very small. There is no installation necessary. The game saves a high score table on closing.
The author can be contacted at freeman69 at gmx dot com
The link to download the game is below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HHTx … sp=sharing

2016-09-10 17:46:05

It'll be also great to create this game by using arrow keys.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2016-09-10 18:37:13

Hello Freeman, and welcome to the audiogames.net forums. First, congratulations for giving us a full experience with playing with the mouse. There some other audiogames that make use of the mouse, but not one that is entirely played using it, besides, perhaps, Aprone's Daitona and the book of gold. Honestly, I liked the game so far. I'd just suggest, though I'm not so sure if there is already one, is a sound to indicate our character to serve as a reference. Thanks once again for the experience.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-09-10 18:49:29 (edited by musicalman 2016-09-10 18:50:18)

Just tried the game, and I am stumped as to how the navigation works. I can use my mouse to look around, but is it basically a virtual cursor that moves around the screen freely? I am confused. I also have a hard time telling where my character will go when I right click to get him to come toward the mouse. I've only managed to snag one treasure, and I haven't managed to kill any robots.
Perhaps a tutorial of sorts is necessary.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2016-09-10 22:43:03

Many thanks for trying the game and providing helpful feedback. I will have to think about how to describe the use of the mouse in more detail.
For the moment I will just add the following notes.

Each level is designed on a grid, so the rooms, walls and doors are all grid aligned.

The mouse is free to explore the level within a fixed distance of the player. So the player always remains at the centre.
As the mouse or player moves into a new grid square then the program produces a tone relating to the general room type. When the mouse moves into a new room then the program speaks the name of the room.
The player also hears the nearest object, within a limited arc, in the direction of the mouse. The volume varies with distance and relative angle. Each object has a repetitive audio signature, including doors.
There is a separate sound for when the mouse enters a grid square occupied by an object.

One technique is to move the mouse in a small circle, to scan your location like a radar.

The player moves in a straight line directly towards the position of the mouse, in steps that are a fraction of the size of a grid square. But you hear a room tone every time you cross into a new grid square. Obviously, you have to be careful not to hit a wall or robot otherwise you get a shock.

Corridors, junctions and doorways are always empty. Only rooms contain robots or treasure.

Hopefully, in this way, the mouse provides a greater degree of freedom of movement, and sensing. I'm hoping to use similar techniques in other games of different types.

2016-09-10 23:17:20

Hello folks!. Think about this like Emtombed explored with a mouse instead of arrow keys. And remember that you can always hit the left mouse button to bring the pointer back to you.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-09-11 01:11:42

How do I use this with a Mac trackpad? I'm running Windows inside a virtual machine and find using the trackpad to be impossible. Do I need to attach an actual mouse or is there any way to play with a trackpad?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-09-11 09:57:15

@Chris. The game was intentionally designed for use with an old mouse, not a touch pad or track pad. Except for the initial menu, where movement in one of eight directions selects an option.
I am blown away by the fact it works on a Mac, presumably under Wine.

2016-09-11 15:22:55

It works because I'm running a virtual copy of Windows XP inside VMware Fusion. It should also work just fine using BootCamp since that's running native Windows on the Macintosh hardware. My question was more about the trackpad. Is it possible to play this game using a trackpad on a Mac or any kind of trackpad you would find on standard Windows machines?

2016-09-11 18:03:07

@Chris. I just tried playing the game with my laptop's touch pad and it is perfectly playable. Some players may even prefer it. If a Mac trackpad is being used via Windows, then I understand that it's function will be the same as a basic touchpad?

2016-09-11 21:58:11

I think I've solved the mouse issue. I guess I have to drag my finger around the trackpad to hear all the menu options. I guess I was expecting to flick around. I'm too used to touch screens, not the mouse pointer in Windows. Anyway, I've got the game going now but am very confused. When I start, I hear a bunch of beeps and tones. When I drag my finger on the touchpad, it tells me there is a corridor and a junction and some other things like walls. How do I move? I tried right clicking or control clicking on the Mac to simulate a right click but nothing happens. Is a right click supposed to move?

2016-09-11 22:40:25

@Chris. In order to move you have to hold the right mouse button down. The player moves in a straight line towards the position of the mouse pointer, until it is reached.
Perhaps confusingly, its actually the mouse pointer that moves towards the player, because the player is always at the centre of the display.

In regard to the sounds, there are four channels.
One channel plays the signature of the closest door, if any, in the current direction of hearing.
another channel plays the signature of the closest treasure or robot, if any, in the direction of hearing
a third channel plays the room tones that serve as a type of tactile audio, when you move the mouse.
a fourth channel plays other incidental sounds

One of the menu options is a sound list with 15 entries.

I hope the above helps.

The design was partially a test to determine how it might be possible to convey non-visual information stored in a grid or 2 dimensional table.

2016-09-12 00:53:57

please add an option to control by keyboard or joystick. arcade games like this demand a responsive control scheme. IMO the mouse is not Ideal for such games.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2016-09-12 09:48:11

@Americandad. Thanks for trying the game.
The mouse allows the user to make rapid and controlled movements, unlike the keyboard. For instance, one method of scanning a room is to move the mouse pointer around the player, which can be achieved naturally using the mouse.
A joystick would provide a similar range of movements. However, the program affects the position of the pointer, and such changes would be at odds with angle of the joystick, whereas the mouse is on a flat surface and the effect is different.