2016-05-28 03:38:34 (edited by jjaquinta 2016-05-28 04:00:26)

Hey Folks,
  I posted on the forum a while back about the audio-only MMO that I was creating called StarLanes. It's for the Amazon Echo which, although many million have been sold, is still not ubiquitous. Thank you to those few who had one and tried it out.
  This week someone launched a reasonable Echo Simulator. After a bit of tinkering I think have a set of instructions that anyone can follow to use the simulator without having to own an Echo. I'm not sure how accessible the pages are that you have to navigate, and the final page as an icon you have to click that I can't tab to. I'd appreciate any feedback about how workable it is.
  The instructions are written for how to play StarLanes. But you can actually run any of the 1000 skills available for the Echo, or use the intrinsic functions. (I have several other audio games, 21 Blackjack and Sub War being the more interesting.) Let me know how it works out. (And if you have suggestions for StarLanes!)

Here are the instructions:

1) Browse to alexa.amazon.com
2) Log in with your Amazon ID. (This may have to be a US one.)
3) Paste "http://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#skills" into your URL bar and go there
4) Type "StarLanes" into the search bar.
5) Click "Enable"
6) Browse to echosim.io
7) Log in with the same Amazon ID.
8) Allow the browser to use your microphone.
9) Click the microphone, say "open star lanes", and release the mouse
10) Carry on playing StarLanes. (Saying "tutorial" is a good place to start.)

2016-05-28 11:48:18

what is happening with star lanes I read your original thread on the subject with great interest.

2016-05-28 14:55:13

StarLanes continues in development. I got Quests working, but they were buggy, and there wasn't a lot of uptake, so I didn't take them much further.
Things have been quiet for the last month as I've worked on SubWar. But I just submitted that for the contest it was aimed for yesterday. So I'll be back to doing stuff on StarLanes. Next up is to finish the build structure feature (you can improve star ports now) and the ability to buy currency. That will complete version 4. At that point I think it will be "full". It gets a bit hard to add things to an audio interface after a while and still have it do good recognition.
The development after that will be to blister out parallel games. StarTrade will probably be next. This will be a merchant focused game that will add in "space ports" in addition to "star ports". These are additional points of travel within a star system. Through trade between these points other features may be built at a point that will affect the game play of both games.

The unfortunate thing is that Amazon have been pressing hard for lots and lots of people to write skills. There are now over 1000 skills available. The problem is that the user interface they provide for discovering skills is very poor. As the number of skills has grown, the number of new users to StarLanes has plummeted. There is, currently, no way to advertise skills. The interface is set up so there is no link that I can pass around or put into ad copy. Can you imagine a banner ad with all the steps above in it? There are a few less steps for an echo users, but not many.
But I've been talking to Amazon about this. They are aware of the problem. However they have a company policy of never speaking about what their plans are. So I don't know if they are going to address this, or in what time frame. Ultimately the success of StarLanes is going to depend on if they can address this.

For my own part, the other project I mentioned, Sub War, is now in the public domain. Since it was a requirement of the contest, we decided to take advantage of that and create something that would hopefully be an inspiration, guide, and template for others seeking to create complex, interactive, multiplayer audio games for this platform. If you are a developer I would encourage you to check it out. There are 5000 words of documentation on design and development, 45 minutes of video, and 10,000 lines of annotated code. I am happy to answer questions about it if this is an area someone is interested in getting into.
https://www.hackster.io/tsatsatzu/sub-war-2fbe90

2016-05-29 01:42:21

so currently what can you do as a player in star lanes. i don't know if the emulator you pointed us to is accessible but I'm certainly interested in reading all about this.

I'd love to see a space game based on the ideas in the likes of elite and the x series of games.

2016-06-26 16:23:30

If anyone has an iPhone, you can use Alexa with the Roger app.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-06-28 09:16:07

can yu play starlanes with it?