2016-02-05 21:40:17

Hey everyone.
The name says it all. Is there something else out there to make music with other than BGT? Because BGT has such limited instruments and I feel I have way out grown my toolbox. Thanks in advance and I hope someone can help.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2016-02-06 00:51:11

BGT's soundtrack was using a varient of mml. MML is a very popular music coding language, known as music macro anguage, originally appearing on computers such as the sharp x68000 and the NECPC98, in a basic statement called play. It has been expanded greatly, now mainly used for making video game music such as for the NES, the Genesis, the MSX, and more. There is also one program that will allow you to use mml to code midi! It really depends on what you want to do. If you want things that sound something like bgt, but can do way more, such as the NES, then you would want to go with ppmck. If you wanted things like the genesis and the gameboy and things like that, you would want XPMCK. If you want to drop video game consoles entirely, your only option would be mml2mid, which means you have to have a good midi instrument to play the midi with. MML is currently the only way for you to program music. YOu could make most of these formats and things such as mod files with trackers, but since when do blindies get to use trackers, huh? I am heavily versed in mml myself. MML consists of some basic things. Track headers, macros, and notation. BGT pretty much stripped it down to notation, but you can do so much more with mml compilers such as ppmck and xpmck.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2016-02-06 00:53:50

the only problem with most mml compilers, is that they are made by japanese people. That poses a problem for us americans who don't know japanese and still want to use the program. While japanese were using mml, westerns such as europe and the US were using trackers.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2016-02-06 03:34:06

I unfortunately don't have a mitty instrument.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2016-02-06 08:59:06

What specifically are you looking for? If you only want to make music, then something like Quick Windows Sequencer and appropriate sound fonts should work. (You'd need another program to record it as wav/ogg/mp3/etc instead of midi, but the likes of audacity / goldwave / wavepad / soundtap (on 32bit systems) can manage that.) I use noteworthy Composer, but apparently I had super figuring-out-inaccessible-software skills in late 2002 or something, since I seem to be the only blind person who can use it. (Would be nice if I still had said out-figuring abilities.)

If you're more interested in the various things one can do on the waveform level, there's probably a faster implementation of something like what BGT uses with more freedom to add various filters and noise generators and so on. I seem to remember there being something for Python, but I couldn't get much more specific than that.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-02-08 09:53:52

I wish I could use a combination of techno, all different types of chiptunes, midi, and put it all together.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2016-02-08 10:35:46

I'd probably try a combination of sound fonts, although mixing a variety of them together is weirdly tricky (especially since lots of single-instrument soundfonts all use the same program slot and I've yet to find an explanation for how to rearrange them... but I haven't been looking that hard, thinking I would just mix multiple recordings if there was ever a conflict).
However, I have no idea if the available soundfonts are actually as diverse and powerful as you need.
There are lots of mainstream tools that would make this much easier if any of them were accessible. I wouldn't know where to start looking for any of those that might be open to accessibility improvements. (I'm relatively satisfied with NWC and various soundfonts, but I've heard talk of the likes of Reaper, Sonar, ReFX, etc. I don't know what any of those actually do.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-02-09 00:21:47

I was looking at the Elias Music Engine. I'm not sure how I feel about that however.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2016-02-13 00:25:35

as I said, I think if you want to program music, you would want mml. If you want techno and chiptune, xpmck would be the program for you. It can do genesis and PC Engine, which are good consoles in that field. NES is good too, with ppmck you can do a lot of things with it, especially with all the expansion chips available.

----------

2016-02-13 06:58:01

there is also the soloud music engine, which unlike elius might actually work in xp (elius destroyed xp support in bgt)

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2016-02-13 08:00:49

I've heard good things about Zel.
ELIAS sounds like it's meant to control dynamic arrangements, rather than to create music per se. It's the sort of thing I'd save for a big project intended to feel cinematic. Maybe it includes some composition tools I'm not aware of?

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-03-03 23:59:10

by the way, soloud hss more features than elius, including an inbuilt tts engine (based on the same algarithem used by dectalk, though the voice sounds more like a otrax succesfully atempting a brittish accent), and support for more formats including midi, various tracker formats (mod, xm, ...) and even playing of sid music ripped from the c64.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995