2015-08-03 17:17:28

@Chris

Yes, the installation process it not accessible when choosing clean install.

In Windows 8.1, you could get Narrator on very quickly after the first reboot.

Windows 10 is therefore from an accessibility standpoint a regression , and Microsoft doesn't care.

If Microsoft truly cared, they would have corrected these issues before rolling out the RTM builds.

However, there may be a workaround which allow you to install Windows 10 cleanly.

The process involves booting up with the talking WinPE and applying the boot files and install.wim manually to the install partition.

It works, but it isn't really worth the effort.

m

2015-08-03 18:27:30

ok, a lil doubt: if I upgrade my win7 to win10, I will loos all my installed stuff, right? I should've to install all the necessities from scratch, no?

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2015-08-03 18:38:26

To answer the question in post 27, probably not a bad idea to remove older apps, as Microsoft may not let ya upgrade if they are still kept on the machine. You can hopefully put them back on the machine once win 10 is fully installed.

2015-08-03 19:26:41

I wonder what other conditions might be required or if Microsoft's Windows 10 update agent doesn't work as well as they'd like. Acording to the page on their web site, everyone with a genuine copy of Windows 7, 8, or 10 preview, on a machine capable of running Windows 10, will get a free upgrade. I've checked, I have a genuine copy of Windows 7 Home Premium , on a machine that easily exceeds the minimum riquirements for Windows 10, yet I still haven't gotten the notification to upgrade. Could it be possible that the offer is only available to retail editions of Windows 7 or 8?

2015-08-03 19:37:01

hi,
the reason you didn't get a notification is the fact that people now are hammering microsoft's servers for the update.  As a result, microsoft is rolling out the operating system in waves.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2015-08-03 19:58:04

today I used the media creation tool again, and I came very close to actually having the os on my system, but then the installation process froaz right in the middle of one of its restarts and wouldn't continue, so I had to cancel it by emergancy shut down ing the computer. Now the get windows 10 app is gone, and I don't know if I'll get my notification, but I'm still using win 8.1, I'm positive of that.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2015-08-03 20:11:24

OK, I'll wait, I assume I have up to a year to get it.

I didn't plan to upgrade immediately anyway, I just want to have it available for the next time I have to reinstall Windows, that was when I planned to upgrade in the first place.

As near as I can tell, there isn't anything new that's a must have right now in it , so I can wait.

As long as this copy of Windows 7 works, I'll keep using it.

2015-08-04 02:38:24 (edited by Chris 2015-08-04 02:43:38)

That's sad to hear. I wonder what the big update to Narrator was for if they didn't even bother to improve it in 10? Oh well.

Even Google is doing better than MS. That's for another topic though. The only way I'm buying Windows now is if I have to use it for a job. I am done with Windows for personal use if they don't give a s**t about accessibility.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2015-08-04 12:19:25

I will attempt to shed light on what I can here, as it seems many of you are concerned and have problems, not without good reason in most cases.

The first question I will answer is the matter of "will I lose my old programs/data/etc".  The answer to that is if you upgrade, without doing a clean install, you shouldn't.  The installer will prompt you before the main process begins (after it makes sure everything is ready/compatible), saying "a few things need your attention" in a section of that dialogue.  There you will find, if no apps are incompatible, an install, refresh, back and maybe some other buttons that I can't remember off the top of my head.  If you have an app such as older versions of Jaws, they are considered incompatible by the installer (newer versions will not be affected if you remove these), the install button won't display.  instead, you'll be able to uninstall right from within the dialogue box itself and carry on, whether that's with the uninstallation of further apps or the rest of the installation of the new OS.

The second point I'd like to address is the idea that Microsoft don't give any thought to accessibility.  I would say otherwise, simply due to the fact that you can give feedback to Microsoft and interact with the rest of the community, via the windows 10 feedback app.  I haven't tried it myself in the public launch version of the OS, but when I got a chance to test it (which, granted, was a while ago during the preview builds), it seemed accessible, if a little slow.

The third point I feel needs addressing is that of using narrator in the installation.  After the aforementioned compatibility dialogue, once you press install and wait a while for the OS to physically be installed onto the drive, you can press windows u to bring up the ease of access centre that will speak and then start narrator from there.  You can then read all the controls in the setup dialogue.  The one thing I will alert you of now is that when you finish this set up process, the installer will keep telling you that it is "preparing windows" and you are told "do not turn off your PC".  Once that's done, NVDA should load and you should be good to go.

One final thing for now, the compatibility assistant will say that NVDA is not compatible when in fact it'll work under windows 10 with pretty much the same accessibility as before, other than a one addon that I've found not to work which is the virtualisation addon.  This might be fixable, I can't say for sure but someone somewhere will probably find a way round it.

If I think of anything else that needs to be noted, I'll post it here.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2015-08-04 12:39:23

@Sightless Kombat
You are vague regarding the accessibility of the installation process.

The common claim regarding the installation process is that a blind user can't perform a talking (clean) installation from start to finish, and that's still so in Windows 10.

Try to boot any iso generated with the Media Creation tool in a virtual machine and tell me if you can get speech during install.

I am sure you can't.

But that has been the reality in all Windows versions.
Microsoft doesn't care to implement a an accessible installation like that in Mac OS X.

m

2015-08-04 14:06:24

wow, a spam bot that actually tryes to fit in with the topic we're talking about? never seen this before. but anyway, spammy spam spam!

2015-08-04 14:53:33

@gellman
Appologies for my apparent vague description.  As all the systems I've installed the OS on are upgrades and I actually wanted to make it the least complicated process possible, I can't help help with the clean install suggestion.  Although regarding that, you could always feed that back too, as there are accessibility addresses for Microsoft, for both windows and Xbox, likely along with others that I don't know about.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2015-08-04 18:50:32

Hi.

I just want to clear up something about narator.

Personally I don't like mac, I've tried it and prefer windows. I will be buying a windows laptop as soon as I can and going back to that system on a laptop that is ment for it, instead of a mac that runs windows. As for narator; I haven't used it and will try it when i install windows 10. I only said what I thought you could do from a podcast I heard. I woulnd't say microsoft don't care, i'd say they're trying and honestly narator is tuns better than it used to be. No, it's no NVDA, b but you can download NVDA using it and then run the settup program with no problem, that's good enough for me.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-08-04 19:07:25

oh well, so he thinks windows 10 is his girlfriend? or is it that his girlfriend has a problem with win10? smile

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2015-08-04 19:47:33

Just to be fair folks, I wish more podcasts on Windows Narrator was done, since the only podcast done on it for Windows 10, was on Main Menu, and was, um, shall we say, poor and rushed?
#JustSaying

2015-08-04 21:58:30

Hi.
I've installed windows ten and it's good. i've managed to set up cortana but can't err... use her, yet. she's not connected. I'm going to try restarting my computer and yeah I agree that podcast was rushed. I can't seem to find new voices for narator though, which is a shame.

2015-08-05 03:08:29 (edited by defender 2015-08-05 03:20:24)

Hey guys

Just wanted to answer some things if I could.

Someone was wondering if Sapi could use Cortana's voice?  Sadly the answer is no, all of the speech is prerecorded by the actress who played the original Cortana battle AI for Master Chief , in the Halo series video games for the Xbox, owned by Microsoft.

Also, I would generally suggest that those who aren't prepared to fix a possible partly junked computer, and or deal with some accessibility problems out of the box should wait until early September to upgrade, since by then the early bugs should be ironed out, the initial role out process will be complete so that you can get your upgrade any time and not have to worry about slow Microsoft download servers, the support for all screen readers will hopefully be improved, but especially NVDA which should be on it's next stable, or at least RC release by then so that you don't have to use the unstable snapshot builds to get good compatibility, software and firmware developers will have more stable builds of there drivers and applications ready  for this new Windows build, and education pricing for windows 10 signature laptops from the Microsoft store will be at it's lowest if you are a student looking for a discount.

Those who are worried about the time it takes to get up and running from scratch with the basics gone after an upgrade or clean install should check out
http://www.ninite.com
Select what you want by using the headings and check box's, hit the get installer button, download the installer, and run it from your computer when connected to the internet.

This is a virus free site used by millions, and the installers act as future updaters as well, just keep the files on your hard drive and run them again now and then to update.

2015-08-05 06:59:43 (edited by brad 2015-08-05 07:11:48)

Hi.

I'd like to tell you guys about two very useful keystrokes in windows ten.

Once you've got cortana all set up and ready to go, windows C, will make cortana listen for anything you say. Your computer will make a nice chime and then you can talk.

Another keystroke is windows a, this brings up the action center window. notifications are there, from balloon help messages to updates for your pc or laptop.

2015-08-05 08:41:50

Hi.

here is another very useful thing to know; when you set an alarm and it goes off, everything else will be loward, so your screen reader will be loward and any music slash video you're listening to. The way to stop the alarm and have everything back to normal is simple: press windows A. this will bring up the action center window and stop the alarm. I do like the fact you can set an alarm on your computer and now everyone knows how to stop it.

I hope this tip helps someone.

2015-08-05 09:18:41

well for me, I can't really see a use for the alarm sinse I never keep my pc running through the night unless I'm downloading a torrent or very big file. But I guess for people who do that, it might be a nice feature.

2015-08-05 09:37:04 (edited by afrim 2015-08-05 09:42:04)

Yo mates,

To be honest, I wasn’t expecting anything so big in terms of accessibility in windows 10, cause windows hasn’t ever made any huge attempt to improve and make windows a good environment for all groups of people. It’s a shame that you cannot navigate on the internet exclusively with narrator. Imagine being on facebook and you get 3 messages at a time. How long would it take to answer them when using Narrator? Also, 1 thing I hate so much, is that narrator has some keyboard shortcuts which are difficult to memorise. You should press ctrl+shift+alt+this+that to read a whole paragraph, right?
Imagine working on a 20 page project in Microsoft word using narrator. What’s more, narrator sometimes becomes irresponsive to the commands you perform. You may press alt+tab to go to the other page or to go to the desktop and narrator won’t announce it. Speech recognition isn’t also so good.
I highly agree that windows 10 is a huge and powerful upgrade and statistics show that 14 million people are using the windows 10 already, but once again, no approach to accessibility is made.

Cheers.

2015-08-05 09:59:29

Hi afrim.

I disagree. Accessibility isn't great but it's not terrible. You can still go on the internet and download NVDA using Narator. Yes narator in its self isn't that good, but it can still do basic things. Give it about 3 to 5 years and I bet it will be as good as NVDA.

2015-08-05 10:32:17

I think MS would never improve that much for narrator.

2015-08-05 11:28:19

What are you talking about mate? Microsoft is a 20 year old company and couldn't get off the ground to make the system inclusive like apple or android.

2015-08-05 13:24:23

Hey.

Like I said, i'm not saying narator is good, honestly it should be a lot better. But you can: 1. set up windows using it. when you buy a laptop from the store or set up windows ten. 2. Go on the internet and download NVDA. Then use NVDA for the rest of your time on windows. I don't think narator will ever become a top screen reader, unless, people write to microsoft, we can't just sit on our asses and moan about what we don't have, we need to make a stand. For me, I won't be doing that since I feel that narator is good enough for what I need. But if you guys want narator to become like NVDA, then write to microsoft. Use the cortana feedback app to write to them, use emails, I'm not sure what ones but I'm sure they're out there.