2015-06-22 12:47:02

Not to be confused with the ios and android title Star traders, this is a much older game, indeed it can still be played directly with Telnet, although there is a fully working working web browser version.

Darren Harris mentioned this one on audeasy as a game he played a while ago, and it's now been tracked down so I thought everyone might wish to know about it.
At times I believe it's been referd to as tsar wars and currently it goes under the title "last resort" however the url is still http://www.starshiptraders.com.

The game is much like trade wars in that you have a ship, fly between ports in numbered sectors which make up galaxies, trading commodities, harvesting resources from planets, fighting with other players and buying things like fighters and rockets to defend your ship, starbases to either attack a sector or defend it, and bunkers to store resources.

One mildly annoying fact about the game is that you have to actually create an account to see the manual, so it's a little difficult to get an idea before you play. From what I gather though there are some quite unique things, not only many different types of items to buy and sell from military gear to ship upgrades, but also interestingly enough just hree sorts of resources  to trade in, though i believe there are some trading limits in the game meaning that staying on the move, or carefully defending an area is a good idea.

I also admire the way the game's interface works, sinse there is a standard telnet style textbox at the bottom where you can enter commands, however there are also textual links to information further up the page that you can just click, really it's one of the best implementations of a bbs style game I've seen on the net, (particularly sinse I gather the game is huge with literally millions of sectors and rooms in space, so having access to fly by links rather than typing in complex number codes is helpful). You don't even need an e-mail address, you can just type in a name and password.

I've only just started looking through the manual and getting an idea of the game, so people are welcome to come and have a look, but sinse I know there are fans of the scifi trading and battling type of games out there, I thought people might want to know asap.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-06-22 15:33:57

I see that in this game we can create a teams like an aliances.. would you like to all member of this forum a create a team?

2015-06-24 13:18:50

lol nice one dark i was going to post an entry to this game myself here but i decided to look first. glad you got there before me as you did it far more justice.

what game are you guys all playing on? i'm on game 000 which has 1000000 sectors. i managed to upgrade my backpack so i can finally get into space.

if you are in a position to upgrade your backpack assuming you're playing 000 then head to sector 500001 and you'll find a spaceport. you must have 100000 microbots to have a ride into space. then you're in space.

yes i rather like this game. i think it's brilliant personally. i used to love this game back around 10 years ago. i would call it complexly simple. but it needs more players.

if we can get a good amount of players on 1 game then we can make it really interesting.

2015-06-24 14:46:37

I'm slightly confused, sinse when I log in I already seem to have a starship, there is nothing about a backpack or anything like that. I seem to be on game 0001 but there is no way to choose another one, and the manual is completely different to the surviver manual on the main game page.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-06-24 23:13:02

to change games:

go to log off. click on that. then instead of saying yes click on exit to communications menu. in there is an option to change personal preferences. in there you can change your game. 000 is where i am. make your selection, then log off completely then log back on.

2015-06-28 16:22:32

Hi!
I'v pressed the play button after enter, and here is the result:
http://70.91.186.149:31309/nroha/

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2015-06-28 18:10:27

@Giovani, try refreshing. I unfortunately have noticed the web interface does go splirky occasionally.

@Darren, well I've given this a try. Thanks for the hint about the coms menu, I didn't realize that was there or that the website actually runs three games, one last resort set in the io hotel, one starship traders set in space (which I was on before), and game zero, which is the combined one that I am on now.

I've done some wandering around, however there are a few things that are weerd. The computrade seems a bit pointless and just seems to lose me money and move in circles, though auto trade is handy provided I make sure to go to each different type of trading point.
The one thing i find weerd is that letters next to room numbers don't seem to correspond to  what is around them which is odd. I also haven't seen any other players yet. it also doesn't help that the manual seems a bit none specific to the hotel portion of the game.

Certainly a nice way around though and I'll say I wish other old bbs games worked so nicely in browsers, although nerbbs.com is pretty good for most things includine trade wars, still I've give starship traders a go.