2008-05-08 20:50:55

Could you all help me to know if there are any games on this site that could be played by a beginning computer user.  I have 1st and 2nd grade students who love to use the computer and I would like to find some new games for them to play.  Any help is appreciated. --carol

2008-05-08 20:56:08

i think they will can play top speed 2. is very simple to play and to navigate through the menu. this is my opinion.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2008-05-08 23:17:21

let me give you some good tips that you can use right away
especially to find games that are school appropriate and free for download visit
www.kitchensinc.net
there are games like monopoly, battleship, baseball, and other card games that you may find school appropriate
but games like wind spank is certainly not
try that website
hope that helped

Connor

2008-05-09 00:19:00

Carol,

Look at our Web site: www.7128.com.

We have the Accessible Learning Through Entertainment and Recreational Tools (ALERT) project there.

It gives a bunch of free information about accessible games in education, including:
1. A list of Web sites where you can get accessible games, many of them free, as CJ says.
2. Suggestions as to what features to look for, for the various accessibility needs (blind, vision impaired, color blind, deaf, motion impaired)
3. A growing set of articles on how to apply games to education, by Eleanor Robinson, a former college instructor who now designs and codes accessible computer games.
4. A list of 14 accessible computer game experts, who have volunteered to answer emailed questions about accessible games, for free.

It's totally free. No registration. No spam.
We did it in concert with the IGDA Game Accessibility SIG, based on a request from a school psychologist.

I suspect that the games we have for sale right now may be a bit advanced for your students.
Generally their age ratings start at 7-10 years old.
But then again, kids are smart with computers these days.
There are free demos.

In any event, the ALERT list should point you at some free games that should do what you want.

We do have four games that can be played by blind 2-4 year olds.
They're coded and work, but won't be released until this summer.
We showed them at Perkins School for the Blind last week.
We expect to ship them this summer as part of our PizzaGames product.
Should cost under $5 each.

John Bannick
CTO
7-128 Software

2008-05-09 02:35:48

I'll second Kitchens inc. If you remove the adult word list from the Hangman game (easily done, instructions in the "readme" included with the game) it would be quite easy to play and you can make your own word lists in case the main one is too complicated. Perhaps the bop it game too.

As to Top Speed 2, I would say definitively no. Not if this is the age area I'm thinking of. It would probably require too much attention and mental processing.

Maybe the Kerb Game? That's on this site specifically and isn't too hard to play, though you might find you have to get around your screen reader catching the keyboard output.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-09 16:20:02

I'd agree on 7-128, particularly as they also have graphics and thus are more widely acceptable I think. kitchinsinc, is a good idea as well I think, --- though perhaps not topspeed 2. if I remember the grade thing rightly (it's slightly different here in the Uk), that's children about 7 or 8 right?

Well the 7-128 games and kitchinsinc might be good. Lighttech interactive found at http://www.lighttechinteractive.com/webpage/index.php have several free games with interesting sound environments but fairly basic gameplay, ---- they even do their own varient of boppit.

vip gameszone found at http://vipgameszone.com/index.php have several small free games, ---- some specifically aimed at children, in particular I'm thinking of keyboard crazy, which would also help with learning where computer keys are.

The games produced by Klango, ---- particularly Pirate memory game, a version of concentration with Pirate sfx, might also be good, though those are commercial (but have demos). You can find Klango at http://www.klangogames.com/en/index.php

American printing house for the blind also do several symple games I think, though I haven't investigated any of those myself as they seem to crash on my Pc. Look up Termite torpedo on the main site if your interested in checking their stuff out.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-05-10 00:06:23

Hmm I think that some of the muds would be simple--they are indeed accessible and work ok, The GMAGames site
VIPMud can be found there--there's even a free version!

2008-05-10 08:38:01 (edited by arjan 2008-05-10 16:58:07)

agree with what's been said, and would like to add l-works's free games, especially the egg hunting ones. you can find them at www.l-works.net.

2008-05-10 08:52:22

Probably not muds. On the one hand typing in commands would be a new concept to people not used to systems like Dos or Linux, and on the other you also have to deal with the vaguaries of the other players who might not always be on their best behaviour. Muds are also tricky to play on a few minutes here and there basis.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-10 16:56:31

I agree with cx2 on muds.

2008-05-10 19:35:02

Yes, that is true. Something that's definitely simple though is the Z5 games at Interactive Fiction archive
There's a lot of text adventures on there and it can really help with spelling--because you type in commands instead of choosing from a list or something.

2008-05-10 23:27:22

Hello, If your interested in simple games, I'me a fairly good programmer so If you want me to, I could write you a few simple games that are appropriate for school, for example a simple number guessing game or something like that. If you are interested in this sort of thing and have the time, could you please post back to this topic and I'll tell you how I'me doing with it. Also, if your looking for an educational game, look up freedom milionair  on google and if the sight is still there, you could download it and they also have wheel of fortian (I know I spelled that wrong) on there. I hope you find this information helpfull and I'll get back to you on the program as soon as possible. Goodbye.

2008-05-11 03:21:29

nin wrote:

what to do to be admitted to the chat of kingdom of loathing?

Please stop posting messages not relevent to the topic at hand, it's quite rude. You can start your own topic from the topic list by finding the "post new topic" link, so you don't have to hijack other people's topics.

cx2
-----

2008-05-11 08:05:15

excuse me.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2008-05-11 21:03:40

you guys be respectful with the topics and stuff please?
and just remember that we are dealing with kids, just to summarize and put in my two cents

Connor

2008-05-12 13:27:57

Hmmm, I've not played muds myself, but if you fancied the typing in commands style interface,to practice spelling as andy said, interactive fiction might be a good idea, though you'd have to pick the game sinse some IF games have adult content.

for a beginning I suggest checking http://www.microheaven.com/IFGuide/IFGu … =6&c=0
there are Interactive fiction games especially aimed at kids of that sort of age, but as so much interactive fiction is produced I can't say where you'd find them, so I recommend you ask on http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec … nt-fiction people there are very helpful, if a litle technicaly minded sometimes.

Nin, i'll answer your KoL question in the KoL thread. To everyone else, please remember that a hole bunch of messages just saying "this message is offtopic" are also not helping to progress the discussion of the thread, and are also not very pleasant for the person who posted the Ot message in the first place, ---- we don't want to turn into a linch mob here. once it has been pointed out once, perhaps it'd be better just to leave it at that.

I hope this information helps.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)