2015-02-11 23:21:17

hello gunners i have a few questions

how do i chat with the players online? whenever i try and type a message to someone the game thinks im trying to imput in a key stroke

how can i see what my cards do while playing someone? since i am still new i forget what special abilities they have

how do i also see a description of the cards that my opponent has on the table? only thing i see is the level and attack

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2015-02-12 00:20:58

@Smoothgunner:
If you want to send a private message to someone, enter a slash before the name. For example: /smoothgunner test.
You can see the information of a card, by either typing info and the letter or number of the card, or by typing the letter or number of the card and hitting enter. You will have three or four choices then, depending of the card, you have chosen. However, one of these choices is I for info.
The same goes for the cards on your opponents side of the table. Only if they are faced up, of course.

2015-02-12 02:59:41

Do you have a card list?

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2015-02-12 08:06:15

okay so there seem to be a couple card bugs, either that or bad translation
black terano, its trap card affect doesn't seem to work? my opponent activated a mirror force, yet the attack wasn't stopped
rocket jumper's direct attack ability doesn't seem to work either, wouldn't let me

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2015-02-12 09:56:56

thx for the answers they all worked but now I have more questions and suggestions lol

when I am dueling how do I simply chat with my opponent and the people that's watching  instead of sending a private message to them?

suggestions:

1. I think it would be cool to have a ranking system based on your amount of wins and loses

2. each player should have like a player profile that gives stats about them like there wins, loses, most played card etc

3. when a player wins maybe he can be rewarded with points medals tropheys or something

how does this sound people?

btw loving the game now that im finally getting the hang of it very assessable no complaints on this end

lastly I seen there was a bleach mud I love that anime, is the mud any good?

2015-02-12 11:26:58

@Smoothgunner:
You can enable the Chat when you are dueling by typing f 1.
You will see something like: People can now write by smoothgunner.
If you wanna send a message, type f and the message, you want to send.
As for your suggestions. Personally, I like the idea of having your own Profile and account. But as far as I know, it was never done in the originally, portuguese Version. So I don't know, if this is actually possible.

2015-02-12 18:36:29

thx for all the help.....lastly does anyone have any suggestions and tips on becoming a better player? like how many cards to actually have in your deck. after playing a couple of games I noticed that u don't need 120 cards in your deck im guessing u truly really need around 60

my name on there is smoovgunner if anyone is up for a duel ill be on pretty much all day since I have some free time today

2015-02-13 12:23:35

Hi,
Due to the nature of the duel server I am strongly considering a full rewrite, which would allow us to expand.
At the moment, I am thinking of using Euphoria as the language of the server, with a custom client written for the operating systems we choose to support. Telnet-based connections will not be supported, but since I am planning to host the server in an open repository, anyone will be able to create a custom client.
My aim is to create a server which is very easy to expand, e.g. instead of hardcoding cards, they can register for various events, such as attack phase begin, end turn, summon, etc. While the rules are quite complex, I would like to add as many cards as possible (fusion included), but only from the original series. This means no syncro summoning, etc.
I have a database of about 5000 cards and their stats. Even if we add just one fifth of it, there is certainly room for rare card tournaments (meaning unlockable cards), trading, etc.
On the client side, there will be full audio support (including music, monster/card sounds, etc). I am also thinking of including card images when viewing a card's data.
Quite frankly, this is an extremely huge undertaking. I am open for any kind of collaboration, if it can speed up the project. Even so, creating this will take a lot of time and effort, please keep this in mind!
I'm in the planning stages right now.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2015-02-13 13:42:23

I am fully in support of this.  as said before, I for one have wanted to play a full on yugioh game for years and years.  If there's any way I can help out at all, with donations or what not, count me in.  It's times like this I really wish I had programming knowledge.
Would be awesome to have npc duelists as well like maybe kaiba or something, for I would much rather have something to occupy me when others aren't around or simply to practice on rather than playing other people without knowing what I'm supposed to be doing.

2015-02-13 19:08:44 (edited by daigonite 2015-02-13 20:09:50)

I don't know a ton about MUDs but my suggestion is that the deck building interface is quite clumsy. I didn't really know much about what was in my deck or bag, bar basic statistics.

I also noticed the lack of a side deck between matches. Yikes! That's not right.

I almost kind of wonder if a MUD is really the best way to build a Yu-gi-oh game but I'm not really the expert here.

My two cents - have deck building available through import. Again, I have no idea how to make that work with MUDs but again I've never really worked with them in the past. The current deck building interface is very confusing.

How I was going to structure the game I wanted to build was actually going to be based off of how Eternal Duelist Soul structured it.

Essentially, the duel mat consists of the following structure:

Field Monster Monster Monster Monster Monster Graveyard Removed
Extra Spell Spell Spell Spell Spell Deck

[cards in the hand]

Definitions for non-yugioh players:

Field - Field cards are spell cards that have an effect on the entire field (cards that are not in the hand, deck, graveyard, extra deck or banished zone), such as Rising Air Current. There can only be one field spell active at a time, and if a new one is played, the old one is sent to the graveyard.
Monster - Monster cards. Only 5 monster cards can be on the field at a time, and this can be limited by certain effects (such as Ground Collapse)
Graveyard - The equivalent to most games as a discard pile, however the graveyard does have important functionality in many themed decks.
Removed - Banished zone, this actually has no specified location traditionally but most video games place it to the right of the Graveyard
Extra - Contains fusions, synchros and xys monsters, although the latter two are definitely not in your game yet.
Spell - Location for spell and trap cards, like monster cards there are only 5 spaces to be able to use. Some monsters such as Blast Sphere and the Crystal Beasts can occupy this zone due to card effects as well.
Deck - the deck (obviously). Most cases cannot be viewed by either player, although some card effects allow you to sort some cards in there (Big Eye), search through the deck (Giant Rat) or other effects, such as Convulsion of Nature which flips the deck upside down and makes it visible.
Hand - Current cards from your hand.

Thus, the game is sorted on a grid with the top two rows having a defined size with the bottom row with varying size. By pressing a toggle, you can view the opponent's field (but not all their cards since the deck, hand, extra deck and sometimes certain banished monsters are not visible to the opponent). It is far more efficient to be able to scroll through these as a grid than have what I saw in there, but again, I don't know how possible it is to do it through a MUD - I was programming my game in Java (and frankly it was messy as hell) but I can share my (terrible) source if it will help. I didn't program any ability to actually go through cards but that's because I had to drop the project due to my schedule getting cramped. However, it would be fairly easy to build a flexible ui from that.

Regarding deck building, first thing I noticed was no side deck. Side decks are extremely important in matches (best of 3 duels), which are the most common dueling structure. You don't really have this option so yeah, MAJOR problem. Second, it's very tedious to go through each card, and frankly you shouldn't have each copy of a card be an individual thing in the list, but rather what kind of cards. Also, in dueling sims, it's really bad practice to limit how much cards you have unless they're actually limited/semi-limited in play (you had only 2 Aqua Madoors for some reason in the base bag). Unless you're writing a tournament game that involves you getting boosters like EDS or all those titles on the DS it's really bad practice, especially for a simulator. I also found it annoying that it was very tedious to go through the whole pack -something I do in braillemon is that in many long lists such as items and the Pokedex you can go and use the left and right arrow keys to go and pass through larger segments of information - this makes it a lot less tedious to find what you're looking for if you know, say, the pokemon number you're trying to find. In addition there are filters in the Pokedex by simply pressing a single key which can be activated or deactivated at any time.

I don't know if this is possible in MUDs but there really should be an easier way to build a deck, for example simply importing a text file with the names of the cards on it (or accepted abbreviations since some of them have really long names lol)

Since you're saying you want to restructure it anyways this is my advice, hope it helps. I'll send you my java code if you want but it's pretty terrible. I don't have it on me at the moment so I'll get it up later.

P.S. Sorry! I didn't actually explain how a side deck works.

The side deck is a deck that you can swap cards with in matches between duels. Your main dueling deck does NOT change after a match, but between duels in a match, you can swap the cards with cards in your side deck if your opponent is running a deck that is particularly problematic for yours.

2015-02-13 20:33:13

Thanks for this, any chances of getting more cards added to the database?

2015-02-13 20:48:06

Hi,
Huge thanks for your advice!
The deck-building interface is going to use two lists. The first will contain all the available cards. You will be able to apply filters, e.g. attack > 200 and defense <250, filter the type, etc, as well as search for a card name or description. The second will be your actual deck in progress.
Most tournaments, especially rare-card ones, will require deck registration. You will be able to register two decks. At the beginning of a match, you will be able to choose your main and your side deck, based on your two registered decks.
You will not be able to edit registered decks, however you will be able to make a copy and edit it outside of the tournament play.
Side decks will not be available if you are playing a quick match (e.g. a one-round duel).
The official client for the game is going to be a GUI-based application, with an invisible list and some status areas, so that sighted people will also have an idea of what's actually going on. smile
Regarding card limitations: I think some of the cards were limited due to their powerful effects. Having for example 20 monsters which can remove 2 monsters from the field with a flip effect is not really fair imho. In the case of a tournament, this would also imply that registered decks should be reviewed manually.
In the current game, you can use u4 and d4 to move 4 cards up and down, or enter a card number, if you know one.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2015-02-13 21:39:04

robjoy wrote:

Hi,
Huge thanks for your advice!
The deck-building interface is going to use two lists. The first will contain all the available cards. You will be able to apply filters, e.g. attack > 200 and defense <250, filter the type, etc, as well as search for a card name or description. The second will be your actual deck in progress.

Good idea, although it might be desirable to actually have multiple decks. Most current simulators allow you to save multiple decks since there are many different playstyles (of course with only 300 cards it's going to be limited regardless of what you do).

A lot of interfaces have the following structure

Deck builder
>List of decks
>>Edit
>>>Deck
>>>Bag

ect.

So yeah, that was another thing I noticed.

Most tournaments, especially rare-card ones, will require deck registration. You will be able to register two decks. At the beginning of a match, you will be able to choose your main and your side deck, based on your two registered decks.

You will not be able to edit registered decks, however you will be able to make a copy and edit it outside of the tournament play.

Side decks will not be available if you are playing a quick match (e.g. a one-round duel).

This sounds about right but I've never heard of a rare-card format; the main formats in yugioh Advanced (ban list in full effect) or Traditional (No fully banned cards, banned cards are Limited). There's also the matter of OCG (Japanese), TCG (International) or Unlimited (All), and what year format you want to use (for example, iirc in 2004 Goat Decks were all the rage, but the ban lists were different back then, allowing for the use of quick summons of Thousand Eye Restrict to screw over your opponents). Some duel simulators get around this by having it be a manual agreement between players (such as duel network) while others such as Konami's official duel simulator they allow for anything-goes (but many previously successful decks are now obsolete). Obviously the most reliable would be to allow players to mark their specific accepted formats but this is a LOT of work and research on the coder's part.

Also remember that some people like to play only with the 3-card rule in effect (so NO ban lists at all) so keep that in mind!

Regarding card limitations: I think some of the cards were limited due to their powerful effects. Having for example 20 monsters which can remove 2 monsters from the field with a flip effect is not really fair imho. In the case of a tournament, this would also imply that registered decks should be reviewed manually.

Here's a basic rundown of the limitation meanings:
Unlimited - 3 are allowed in a deck, this is most cards. Note: Cards with a name that counts as the same (For example, Harpy Lady #1 and Harpy Lady #2 both count as Harpy Lady so there's no having 3 of each card in that deck allowed).
Semi-Limited - 2 are allowed in a deck. For example, Tragoedia.
Limited - 1 is allowed in a deck. For example, Exodia the Forbidden One.
Forbidden - 0 are allowed in a deck. For example, Yata-garasu (known for his infamous draw-denying loop)

The yugioh wiki has a list of all card limitation lists, including TCG and OCG.

In the current game, you can use u4 and d4 to move 4 cards up and down, or enter a card number, if you know one.

Ah that wasn't very clear, okay thanks!

2015-02-13 21:48:16

So no synchros or anything from GX or zyxel?  I also know I'm missing a series that they had started to put out but I'm unsure if it has been dubbed as of yet.  I haven't watched Zyxel mainly because the dubbed main characters voice annoyed me. I did really enjoy 5ds, and that kind of sucks that you wouldn't do synchro summons, but this is also in the planning stages as of now.  I'd like to play with the newer cards, not just those based on the original series. But, that's just me.

2015-02-13 22:05:26 (edited by daigonite 2015-02-13 23:23:02)

blindndangerous wrote:

So no synchros or anything from GX or zyxel?  I also know I'm missing a series that they had started to put out but I'm unsure if it has been dubbed as of yet.  I haven't watched Zyxel mainly because the dubbed main characters voice annoyed me. I did really enjoy 5ds, and that kind of sucks that you wouldn't do synchro summons, but this is also in the planning stages as of now.  I'd like to play with the newer cards, not just those based on the original series. But, that's just me.

Hey! I liked Zexal. Astral reminds me of myself lol.

Basically Synchro and XYZ works like this:

Synchro - You need a tuner and a qualifying monster. Some synchros can use anything, but others (usually more powerful ones) are more specific. If the total of the two levels is the same as the level of the synchro you want to summon, you can summon it from your extra deck. There's plenty of chains that can be initiated through this.

XYZ - Works kind of similarly except XYZ monsters specify that you need a set number of level [whatever] monsters. Unlike Synchros monsters that are used in XYZ are overlayed as opposed to simply discarded - and the overlayed monsters can be discarded to use special abilities, such as boosting attack, piercing damage, ect. XYZ has rank, not level, so they can't be used in Synchro but they also are immune to effects that affect level, such as Gravity Bind.

2015-02-14 00:27:47

daigonite wrote:

Good idea, although it might be desirable to actually have multiple decks. Most current simulators allow you to save multiple decks since there are many different playstyles (of course with only 300 cards it's going to be limited regardless of what you do).

The screen I was describing was the deck editing screen. The game will support multiple decks of course. You will be able to choose which deck to edit, create/delete/copy, register it for an upcoming tournament, rename, etc.
We are actually not limited to 300 cards. What I am planning to do is make about 500 available in the first round. People will be able to pick and choose cards and add them to their deck, or use the predefined decks (starter Yugi, etc). Not sure how this would affect the overal balance, but we'll see. It all depends on how quickly we can implement cards and rules.

daigonite wrote:

This sounds about right but I've never heard of a rare-card format; the main formats in yugioh Advanced (ban list in full effect) or Traditional (No fully banned cards, banned cards are Limited). There's also the matter of OCG (Japanese), TCG (International) or Unlimited (All), and what year format you want to use (for example, iirc in 2004 Goat Decks were all the rage, but the ban lists were different back then, allowing for the use of quick summons of Thousand Eye Restrict to screw over your opponents). Some duel simulators get around this by having it be a manual agreement between players (such as duel network) while others such as Konami's official duel simulator they allow for anything-goes (but many previously successful decks are now obsolete). Obviously the most reliable would be to allow players to mark their specific accepted formats but this is a LOT of work and research on the coder's part.

Cards traditionally have a rarity level associated to them. For example Yugi's Celtic Guardian is common, while Obelisk the Tormentor is ultra rare. Tournament prizes, and trading can be based on this.
I am not sure about the format yet. I think the 3-card rule as the only limitation is solid enough, at least for regular duels. Tournaments can be different, I can imagine tournaments having a ban list, perhaps to make the tournament more challenging. This will be up to the tournament organiser. When the game is solid enough, I would like to open up tournament creation to players as well.
I can also imagine tournaments where only official decks are accepted, so custom-made decks would not work. The sky is the limit, really...

daigonite wrote:

Here's a basic rundown of the limitation meanings

Thank you!

daigonite wrote:

The yugioh wiki has a list of all card limitation lists, including TCG and OCG.

I think we can stray from the official rules here, although I'd go with the international ones.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2015-02-14 00:59:44

I'd really like to correspond with you on this project since I did have a bit of a failed Yu-gi-oh sim in the past. I'll upload my project files for you to view when I get home.

2015-02-14 01:17:47

I am certainly open and accept any form you prefer. Text via Skype, any IM or mail, audio, etc.
Thank you very much for your code in advance!

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2015-02-14 07:49:55

not trying to complain, and i'm just pointing this out if most players didn't know but a lot of cards are bugged in the game. rob im pretty sure there is not to much u can do about this, but for new players that are setting up there decks becareful adding cards that has flip effects. especially the ones that take/give life points when flipped or makes your opponent discard cards when flipped.

for new players when setting up your deck at first adding/removing cards can be confusing but trust me u will get the hang of it. if u want to know what a card does press the letter I for a description, if it doesn't do anything special then when u press I it will say no information available.

if its your first time setting up a deck, wen u press the letter D, u are then going to want to press the letter E next for edit, then the letter B for bag in that order. after pressing b then press the letter D and enter to read the first card. if u don't want that card then press the letter d and enter again until u come across a card u want then press the letter S to send it to your bag. to ceck what cards u have sent to your bag press the letter e, and press d and enter to shuffle through your cards. if u come across a card that u selected but don't want anymore press the letter S to send it back to the bag. to get back to the bag from your deck selection simply press b and enter and u will be placed inside the bag at the card u left off at.

Note: while picking cards from the bag, u can only pick one, two, or three versions of the same card. if u have reached the max amount of times for that particular card it will automatically move u to the next card.

as stated above, while u are picking cards from the bag u can go straight to a card by entering in its number if u know it. if u have picked the max for that particular card though it will skip over the number u entered and place u at the next card.

once u have selected 40 or more cards press the letter z and enter until u get back to screen where it says play deck watch. and u do have to play a live game before u can save your deck.

note: if u don't feel like making a deck cool, u can play with a random one by finding someone to duel and jumping in a match with them without even selecting a single card.

I know this was long but I know how confusing it was for me at first creating a deck so I wouldn't to make deck building a bit smoother for brand new players so they wont get quickly turnt off from the game

lastly I highly recommend downloading the yugioh sound pack from the first page listed in the comments for a much better playing experience

2015-02-14 15:57:38

I don't seem able to log into the game, my connection just times out. Is the game down until further notice (until the new code is up and running)? Or is it only me who can't connect?

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2015-02-15 02:07:17

Sorry for the lateness. Here is my project files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewhqda74rbv8f2w/YGO.zip?dl=0

All it is right now is basic card functionality (such as attacking) and the set up of the field but hopefully it will make SOME sense lol.

2015-02-19 00:20:30

when is a good time to get on the server? most of the time when I log on no one is really there. I might get 2duels a day if im lucky

2015-02-20 11:30:46 (edited by robjoy 2015-02-20 11:33:35)

@Soul Keeper: Sometimes, there is a quick server reboot which should not take more than a minute. If it is more than that, it's likely a dns update, which happens every 15 mins, should my ip change. These are rare.
@daigonite, Thank you very much! I've downloaded it and going to take a look this weekend.
@smoothgunner, I guess the initial awe of playing a Yugioh game has faded a bit. You could always organise matches, either in this topic, or via other channels.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2015-02-20 19:59:13

Hi:
I would like to try the game out. Of course, that requires someone is online. I'll stay logged in for a bit. If anyone sees this, come join me. I'm quite curious to give it a shot.b

2015-02-26 05:29:28

simply keeping this topic alive for new players to see

if anyone wants to test out the game or is just looking for someone to play, myself and sevrior have the window open most day and night just in case players pop in for a game we can teach u or just give u a really good match