2014-12-22 09:37:59

hi,
This is devin, and I wanted to tell you about a new mud, called avalon. based on the dawn of time with excellent features from the dicu/rom/smaug/mirc tree, and the best of coffeemud. wwe, that is to say ethin and I, are looking for potential builders/testers/players of this exciting new mud.
while it is incomplete,we hope to have some custom areas out soon. disclaimer! notice. this is based on the dawn of time, I am not claiming that this mud was of our own creation.
connect with your favorite mud client at:
176.126.243.200, port 4000. for the public web server, connect with your browser to the same address but on port 4001.
We hope to see you on the game soon.

devin

2014-12-22 09:42:03

A note to builders:
For those who wish to create new areas, rooms, etc., we'll need to examine your proposal before accepting it. Note that most of the areas, if not all of them, are stock (accept Argon Castle), but we hope to change that. In the meantime, please deal with it and gain spells and/or skills that way.
We are not accepting any coders at the moment; I do not want to risk getting a virus from some idiot who doesn't know what theire doing.
We are also not accept Administrators, as we have enough of them already.
We are accepting council members and builders, but not Admins.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-01-04 00:30:46

Hello all,
On the subject of the mud, I checked it out well some of it but I might need some help reguarding the mud me and ethin were trying to move the mud over to a new server, I was trying to install gcc-4.5.1 on Ubuntu 14.04, and well the mud needs that version for stuff to work right. but I need some help from someone who knows how to do the gcc installation, I got the gcc sorce from the website, and I did the command, ./configure --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-nls --quiet that went well but when I did make-s I got the  following information, with the error at the bottom  config.status: executing default commands
Adding multilib support to Makefile in ../../.././libgcc
with_multisubdir=32
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:27:0,
                 from ../../.././libgcc/../gcc/tsystem.h:87,
                 from ../../.././libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c:29:
/usr/include/features.h:374:25: fatal error: sys/cdefs.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [_muldi3.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [multi-do] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-multi] Error 2
make[2]: *** [all-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 2
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
sorry if this a bit off topic but I figured sence it is relateing to the mud, would ask already asked ethin, but he didn't know the answer how to fix the error.
Thanks
Kevin Roberts Ps. Everything worked accept when it got to that point.
Thanks
Kevin Roberts

2015-01-04 01:03:39

You do NOT want to build a new compiler from scratch, and you do not need gcc 4.5.1 to build the source properly.  Just build the source with your normal 14.04 installed compiler, and fix any errors that come up.  There shouldn't be any issues more complicated than minor casting problems.

If you're not able to fix minor compile problems in your source tree, you'll have a really, really hard time doing anything else with the code.  Feel free to post problems building your server code with the normal compiler here, and I'll take a look.

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com

2015-01-04 01:52:59

Hi dentin,
Thank you. I have ran it on my server for now until I can get to fixing the errors that GCC 4.8.2 gives.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-01-04 02:15:20

Hi dentin,
Thanks for the help I know that when ethin, was compileing it under gcc-4.8.2 he said he got some warnings, I am not sure what they were as I didn't log the session, he did the compileing under his user, so don't have a log of it. But we will post any weird problems we may have with it when we try and compile it again.
Thanks
Kevin Roberts

2015-01-04 15:44:31

4.8.2 has a bunch of new warnings turned on by default compared to earlier gcc's, but they should in general be pretty easy to fix.  Most of the time, old code will still compile and run even if it gives a lot of warnings; if it's actually refusing to compile, it's probably something more serious that should be fixed instead.  But keep in mind, the solution is almost never to switch to an older compiler - it's to fix and update the code you're trying to compile.