2017-10-18 17:07:46 (edited by CritterPup 2017-10-18 17:12:00)

Hello, Joseph, I've remembered my question. Do you possibly have sheet music for the tracks? Because I'd love to propose these to my band teacher for one of our two concerts, or he could have orchestra do some. If not, I understand, as it was done digitally, but maybe you had some for the composer to look at when creating things? Also if it's a copyright thing, I understand that too.
  I also think it would be cool to do after the graphical release, because we always, if playing game or movie themes, have images on the screen behind us. I could imagine how cool it would be to have A Hero's Call graphics behind us while playing the theme. Which, for the record, I can't stop humming.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-18 17:11:38

Ha no, that'd be pretty amazing if a printed score exists, but to the best of my knowledge, none does. Everything I gave Steven was in the form of midi stems, and even if I was to make sheet music from those original compositions, it wouldn't sound anything like what you hear on the score because of how much orchestration Steven did. Sorry—but thanks for asking!

2017-10-18 17:14:06

Ahh, okay, that makes sense. I really hope someone notices this and does decide to put it into sheet music, because this is a prime example of a perfect band performance.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-10-18 19:17:04

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the more I hear, the more excited I get. Now if next month would just hurry up so I could buy myself a copy of the soundtrack LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-10-18 19:42:54

I take it you don't have a Spotify or Apple Music subscription?

2017-10-18 19:48:17

Nope, money is a little tight for subscriptions and things. LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-10-18 20:27:26

Of course, having never actually had one, I was able to get a free trial of Apple Music, so I’m listening to the soundtrack right now even as we speak. I think Gwynns theme just got added to my list of top favorites.

2017-10-18 21:38:29

I’m definitely glad to hear you guys are getting close to possibly announcing a release date.  I’d really like to do a let’s play of it eventually.

2017-10-18 23:11:08

I'm planning to buy a microphone just to do a first time play through of this game. now, after i get that, i'll need to get a mixer or something. lol

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2017-10-18 23:41:31

It’s funny, I was just talking to a lady friend of mine who would actually like to be more than that, but anyway, she was asking me what I wanted for Christmas, and I was thinking what I really want would be a copy of HC. Of course there’s no guarantee that it’ll be released in time for Christmas. But that would be my ideal gift, LOL.

2017-10-18 23:42:51

You know, as excited as you all are about the release, I think I'm just as excited about all the Let's Plays and other fan-made content. Getting to share in your experience that way is gonna be a lot of fun.

2017-10-18 23:45:10

Hi Joseph,
I would also like to say congratulations as well regarding the soundtrack and game. One thing's for certain, it really seems like you've poured, and are still pouring, your hearts and souls into this over the past few years and continuing. It's something we say here in the UK if someone really likes something, or wants to do something really well, or is passionate about something so much.
This stuff must be hard work. I don't know if I can list everything here but I can think of the following as examples: getting all the actors together, recording all the dialogue, but even before then, designing an initial game idea, a world, a story, making sure the gameplay fits together and the systems work, the placeholder music recordings, the text to speech, translation systems, battle systems, ideas for radar system, and then, the kickstarter campaign which was a success, the assets for said campaign, and even then, finding a new composer to help, getting a testing team together, coordinating with said testing team, getting new stuff recorded and then releasing a soundtrack, all the while the game is still in development and you guys are still here, through it all, and are seemingly moving forward. Now that's dedication, and even then, based on what I've read, you guys are juggling real life stuff as well, as are we all, and yet you still push on. It warms my heart to know that there's a team out there who is trying something like this, and even though I've never met you in person, I am feeling proud of you and everyone involved, even though the game still isn't out yet. Everything is making me sooo excited though.
So I am going to end this message by saying one thing, and that is,
Thank you for everything so far, and still to come, from the bottom of my heart.

2017-10-18 23:57:40

Well said Aaron. You said what I’ve been thinking far better than I probably would’ve put it down.

2017-10-19 01:10:02

Joseph, if it's not to much to ask... I'd like to speak to you guys about your writing process for story modes and side quests in this game. After release of course.

2017-10-19 02:18:44

Aaron: Thank you so much. You have no idea how much that means. At the end of the day, our motivation is you guys. We want to make something that people will enjoy—we want to create the sort of experience that so many gamers have never had, or like me, once had and now have lost. Sure, we want the game to be commercially successful, and would be thrilled if it played a part in changing the conversation surrounding game accessibility, and we really have no idea how far it'll go—but ultimately, we just want to make something special for players. Knowing our hard work is appreciated, and makes it a lot easier to put in the effort.

Dragomier: Story and quests are my department, and I'm always happy to chat about the process—such as it is...but I'll be honest, I don't know how much light I can shed. i just kinda write, and see what happens. Sometimes I look at a quest, or even at the game's whole storyline, and think, "Ugh, I should go back and redo the whole thing!" I guess when we release, you'll have to let me know whether or not the writing is up to snuff.

2017-10-19 02:58:04

I’m definitely looking forward to experiencing the story.

2017-10-19 09:19:26

For all the hipe about this game I'm super worried it'll be a letdown, mostly in the length department. I wouldn't expect anything else from a small team though, but still.
You're welcome to surprise me however. You could change my mind about kickstarters.
I did put in a little extra when I ordered the tracks from bandcamp, so enjoy that.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-10-19 14:13:10

Hello. When I wanted to buy soundtrakc from iTunes it glowed me this letter. The item you've requested is not currently available in the Saudi Arabian Store, but it is available in the US. Store. Tap Change Store to view this item. Why not available at the Saudi store?

2017-10-19 14:24:03

Joseph Westhouse wrote:

[...] we want to create the sort of experience that so many gamers have never had, or like me, once had and now have lost.

My first real post on this Forum - but that is exactly the very essence of what I am thinking of the Audio games community and AHC in particular.
Video games developed during the last two decades into something much bigger than only a stupid and escapistic past time activity. You can almost call them a form of art - well, at least some of them. This is a development Audio games still have to make.
AHC might be one big step in this direction. Although we all can't be sure if it meets our big expectations, the theory sounds great. You guys might just be the fire Starters for the next badly needed audio games Revolution.

Fun fact: I am a german and in your Audio demo for the Translation plugin it translates "I like to fight with the bow" into the german equivalent of fighting not with the weapon bow, but with the bow you make as a polite greeting. That is a hilarious Thing to say! big_smile I might just Play it in the original language wink

2017-10-19 14:34:12

I have an account at the US store. But I can not pay by my Saudi Credit Card or Paypal

2017-10-19 15:21:24

LordLundin: It's funny you say that, because that's actually my fear as well—not specifically with story length, but just in general. I think that what we've done with AHC shatters a lot of the current glass ceilings in the audio games world. But I'm still a little worried that, because of the hype, people are going to have this all-surpassing super-game in their minds that nothing we could make could ever possibly live up to. Hopefully people will be content to compare AHC to the other games on the market, and not to whatever game they might imagine in their minds, and will judge us favorably. Time will tell.

Honk: First off, welcome to the community! I agree with you that video games have really turned into a powerful artistic medium, particularly for storytelling. Personally that's where my passion is in games. AHC barely scratches the surface of the kind of narrative artistry that games can do—I'll be the first to admit that. But I think it will be a step in the right direction, and will hopefully be a springboard for us and for other devs as well.

As for the translation, thanks for mentioning that. We are working with a few human translators to improve on the foundation laid by the Google translation, and hope to do more of that in the future. If you're fluent in English, we'd definitely recommend playing in English. The translation is really to make the game at least basically playable for people who speak no English, just as a Japanese translator makes JRPGs playable for those of us who speak no Japanese, even if you do get occasional strange "lost in translation" moments.

Abdulla: This is probably a question for Apple support. We didn't place any territory restrictions on the music, so if it's not available in your music it's because of something on Apple's end, not ours.

2017-10-19 16:35:15

I've heard of many instances where games have not lived up to height. But, I think this game will live up to if not surpass it. All I'm expecting is a game with fun exploration and something to keep me busy for a while. I'll probably replay it a couple times. I'm excited, no matter what.

2017-10-19 18:11:41

hey
I m happy
finally I m bought
A hero's call original game score album

2017-10-19 18:29:08

Hi, just a note. When I listened to a preview of the soundtrack, I noticed it was very loud. Please do not make it too loud when the game comes out as it might be very hard to hear the speech. Also, I can help with the Afrikaans translation.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2017-10-19 19:29:05

I was actually going to comment on that. RTT, I imagine you'll be able to turn the music down or up to your preference, that seems to be a basic game feature and has been for pretty much the entire game history, meaning all games. Also, I do like the fact that this is not one of those scores you'll have to turn up your phone, computer, etc to hear.