2014-08-07 17:54:35

I've been away for a few weeks and I have been reading up on all of many forum posts that happened while I was gone.  In that time the community (gross generalization warning ahead) has grumbled about $5 fees for updating Shades of Doom, emptied their wallets picking up Paladin of the Sky (sweet), and tried hard to start  up a few flame wars (definitely some grumpy people lately).  ROFL!

I think it's time for a contest!  Lets put some money back out there, and maybe brighten the mood of a few people.  Perhaps this will help a few new people grab the Paladin game, which I'm hearing really great things about!  big_smile

Castaways 2.7b has been posted, and it contains a game mode called Recorded Challenge.  This is how players will participate in the contest.  The game always starts you with an identical set of resources, but after that it is up to you to survive and thrive.  You have the daunting task of surviving through 10000 game ticks as you earn a score based on the things you save up.  At any point you can press Shift + space to hear your current score, and also list how many game ticks you have used.  10000 ticks seems like a lot at first, but eventually you'll start wishing you had more so you could save up more stuff.  Here are how points are calculated.

Knights, Rangers, Pikemen, and Cavalry all start out worth 1000 points for the first unit, but each additional unit is worth 100 points less.  Having more than 10 of any of these troop types will give no additional points.

All units upgraded with Tomes (Serfs, Woodsmen, Physician, ect) start out worth 1000 points for the first unit.  Each additional unit is worth 250 less.  Having more than 4 of any of these skilled job types will give no additional points.

All food stored in your Store houses or Taverns will be counted.
Meat, Bread, Vegetables, and Wine all start out worth 500 points for the first item, and each additional item is worth 5 points less.  Having more than 100 of any of these food types will give no additional points.

Tomes stored in your Store houses start out worth 1000 points for the first Tome, and each additional tome is worth 250 less.  Having more than 4 tomes will give no additional points.

Lumber and bricks stored in your Store houses are all worth 10 points each.  There is no limit on the amount of points you can earn on lumber and bricks.

When you first start up the game you'll already have quite a few points.  This is normal, because you begin the mission with a lot of food and stuff.  As you start to burn through your reserves, that score will drop lower and lower as you work to build your town and get on your feet.  Defend yourself against the goblins (walls are your friend) and soon your score will begin to rise as you produce more than you use.  The game stops once you reach 10000 ticks, but it will still allow you to save your game instead of immediately kicking you out to the main menu.

Saving is important, obviously, but your save game files are what you'll submit to be part of the contest.  Save your game at any time, and email me the save game file.  The score you have at the time of the save, is the score I will credit you with.  I will list everyone's scores here in this thread, so you can see what you need to reach in order to beat them.

The Prizes:  (using the traditional, highest score is better, system)  haha

First place, $40 (USD)
Second place, $35
Third place, $30
Fourth place, $25
Fifth place, $20
Sixth place, $10
Seventh place, $10
Eighth place, $10
Ninth place, $10
Tenth place, $10

Rules:

You do not need to have a Kaldobsky Gamer account to participate.  This contest is open for anyone to join.

Don't cheat, obviously.  Contained within the save game file is information about every action you took as you played.  I take these save game files and run them through a special program that recreates the same starting conditions and quickly plays through the entire game doing everything you had done.  I will use the score my program tells me, which means any type of cheating or save game editing isn't going to work.

Don't give other people your save game files so they can turn them in as their own.  The program I feed these files into can tell if the original game data matches any of the other files people have submitted.  So if you play 100 ticks of the challenge, save it, give it to a friend, he plays the remaining 9900 ticks, and submits it for the contest... I will not count that.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Do feel free to discus strategy and stuff here to help others.  Telling others exactly what you did is totally fine, because their random events will end up being a bit different.  I'd actually like to see the more skilled players sharing tips with those who need a hand.

Do have a paypal account.  I will be sending the prizes out through paypal, so having it is a requirement if you wish to participate.

You are able to win more than 1 prize!  (I'm allowing this because I have no realistic way to prevent it.)  As long as you start over again from the beginning, you can submit additional save files to get your name on the score board multiple times.  If you submit another file that is "related" to one you've already submitted, then it will not be counted.  This means that you can't submit a save file if it was loaded from another file you had already submitted.  A special set of starting conditions for each game are what make them unique, so that is why each new game you submit for points must have been started fresh from a new game.

Deadline:

August 31 is the last day I will accept submissions.  Once September first rolls around (Eastern timezone), I will just delete any new save game files I see in my email.

Where to submit save game files:

Attach the save game file to an email, and send it to [email protected].  Please include your Audiogames.net name in the email so that I know who to give credit to for the score.

I'm sure I've forgotten something important, but oh well.  big_smile  Good luck everyone!

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-08-07 17:56:22

Current score board:

1) RockyWaters with 161370 points.
2) RockyWaters with 158470 points.
3) RockyWaters with 157590 points.
4) RockyWaters with 152480 points.
5) RockyWaters with 145580 points.
6) RockyWaters with 135345 points.
7) RockyWaters with 134800 points.
8) Loxias with 133290 points.
9) Yujin9091 with 131750 points.
10) Yujin9091 with 131460 points.

If you hadn't guessed, 52680 is how many points everyone starts out with when they begin the Challenge map using the smuggled goods starter, hahaha!  Good catch Key.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-07 20:48:40 (edited by Riad 2014-08-07 20:52:25)

Oh Aprone, you'll get all the 10 prices for yourself, since you're the only one participating and having all top 10 for yourself at the moment hahahahahaha. Just kidding. I haven't played the new version yet, but I think I'll do tomorrow. Nice job for an awesom game, keep up a good work, and thanks for this nice and kind contest. I'm not sure if I'll participate, may be. You did an awesom job for the community, which is proud of you.

2014-08-07 21:20:45

Thank roro.  I sure hope the contest doesn't end with my name on all the spots!  Haha!  With 10 prizes, it should make it possible for quite a few players to win some money, even if they aren't the greatest Castaways players in the world.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-07 21:45:40

Yeah but make sure that you don't have 2 spots with the same user name, because, you know, people will take more than a price, which is bad, since there should be 10 winners.

2014-08-07 22:06:34

I can't stop people from winning more than 1 prize.  Not really anyway, because someone could just use a different name or email to send me a file.  So since I can't really prevent it, I'm allowing it.  The only rule is that to submit another file, it must have been started over from the beginning.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-07 22:15:56

Aprone, I don't have a payPal account. If I gain a prize, perhaps I could immediately redeem it for something? Say if I got a prize worth $30 I could redeem it for Paladin of the sky or something? I am just not interested in creating a payPal account because I hear it's not very easy to do, like there's information that would be difficult to provide.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2014-08-07 23:12:22

KeyIsFull, I could send your winnings to a friend's paypal account maybe.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-07 23:37:29

Hi

Hmm, very very intresting. Wouldn't that be just hilarious to extend a kaldobsky account with one of the prices... Hehehehehe smile I'll defenatly give it a try, though I'm rather rusty for the moment, and I'm sure I'll screw up some times, si i'll defenatly pick the best save file I can get and send it ... hehehehe

Cheerio
and thanks a lot Aprone, for such an awsom return ...
<smile>

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2014-08-10 21:04:29

If you aren't using Castaways version 2.7c (not B), please update before continuing with the contest.  The version 2.7b had a bug that could corrupt your save game files, giving your people like 50,000% energy and of course making the file unusable for winning any prizes.  The patch fixes it, and as an extra sort of "sorry", it slightly slows down the rate at which goblins advance across the challenge map.  That will also give a little help to those who have been struggling to keep them at bay long enough to defend your base.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-11 10:07:19

Just thinking. Can a price be a year subscription for Swamp?

2014-08-11 11:05:55

Hi.
Wow, what a cool idea. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-08-11 13:02:09

Survived my first mission.  Has anyone else survived yet?

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2014-08-11 16:29:18

Roro, I could have done that, but I figured people would like money more.  Someone can always buy an account with the money they win, if they want to.  This way people have more freedom to use their prize how they like.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-11 16:55:11

It was brought to my attention that the score is not counting your Gardeners, Wheat farmers, Wine makers, or Shepherds.  My program that checks the save game files does count them though, so you will get those extra points if you happen to have any of those people.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-11 20:30:54

OK you're right concerning that point, may be the winner has already got an account on Swamp, or simply he doesn't want this price. So giving cash prices is good I think.

2014-08-12 12:23:23 (edited by JenniferM 2014-08-12 12:58:42)

I can't wait to get started, but for this week I'm stuck using Dialup, so not sure how long it might take to download the game. (Sad Face) But on Monday we get our cable internet hooked up, so yay!

Where do I find the link for the Castaways beta versionb?

Have a blessed day. 
Jennifer

2014-08-12 17:08:09

JenniferM, you can download the latest version from this link:
www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/castaways.zip

The game is about 17MB in size, so even on dialup that won't be too bad.  It isn't like the many games that are hundreds of MB in size, haha!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-12 17:35:10

hay Aprone.
would you like i also partisipate? i'm interested, not n the money, in the scores. In the game. In your awesome games you make for us.
And yes, rather good cash prices. But can i? Thanks!
The Timonater.

no matter what you do, alwais, ghosts will be there. Demonic spirits waiting for you. Charlie Charlie are you here? suddenly, charlie appears with a knife. He killed me! charlie charlie are you here? tell me if it's yes. Are you gonna persew me or you're leaving me in peaze? oh my gosh charlie is indeed here! he's about to kill me!
:D

2014-08-12 17:43:59

Yes Terminator, please do participate!  Everyone is welcome to join in.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-08-12 17:55:20

hay Aprone...
thank you!
i just thought you're madd at me because i was spamming on swamp. But i just changed. I'm remembering the days when i just treated the people there like shit, when you just told me to stop. Can't do it, so...
sorry.

no matter what you do, alwais, ghosts will be there. Demonic spirits waiting for you. Charlie Charlie are you here? suddenly, charlie appears with a knife. He killed me! charlie charlie are you here? tell me if it's yes. Are you gonna persew me or you're leaving me in peaze? oh my gosh charlie is indeed here! he's about to kill me!
:D

2014-08-12 20:48:46

Thanks!

Have a blessed day. 
Jennifer

2014-08-13 02:09:33 (edited by NightCraller302 2014-08-13 02:11:43)

It looks like Rocky is in the lead with his first simition and I'm sure he's working on his second.  So the rest of you might want to get crackinh! hehehehhehehhehehheheh Only 19 days left. smile

2014-08-13 04:21:27

man, this game is doing nothing but frustrating me. If I keep the goblins at bay I don't manage to get any food buildings built. I spent all my resources building 3 walls, a mine, a forge and a barracks to stop the goblins that I didn't build walls to prevent, and everybody's super close to dying from starvation. THis is tick like  1200. I guess I have to find just the right balance between defense and food, but it seems like a really hard job. The walls I have are very well placed, but I still have to put like 4 of my people on soldier duty to have an effective defense, because if I create knights, which are the easiest things to make with the buildings I have, it is slow and can only hit 1 square at a time. So even though it hits 5 times as hard as a soldier, it's unfortunately the quantity of defenders that matters, and not the quality. At least, for now. That is saddening because there just aren't enough people. I am not sure if strong swimmers is worth the increased food consumption either because food is another big issue for me. Perhaps I have to tap into my wine barrels; i usually don't put a person on bartending unless people are desperately hungry because it only serves one type of food while the cook serves the other 3, and people can get by on those 3 without ever even touching wine if it's replenished. Unfortunately, it's not, so I guess I ought to assign a bartender. I was so intend on defense buildings that when it came time to build a butcher shop, i didn't have enough lumber to do so, and more than half of my civilization was fighting. And everyone just kept getting hurt which forced another person to be on hand to treat them,, and also forced me to build a hospital. And land squares are extremely hard to use by this time because goblins advance onto them, so you don't have much choice until you can get the goblins out of there. The problem with that is that you need more people to get the goblins out and you need mroe food to support more people but there's not enough land to support all those buildings without removing the goblins. I'm not sure how rocky waters did it. But it makes me mad.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2014-08-13 04:35:37

KeyIsFull, if it helps, here is the starting order I've been going with lately.  I put my storehouse somewhere between columns B and G, and rows 2 and 5.  I get the tavern, saw mill and a quarry going first, with a hospital if absolutely necessary.  A wall first goes up at E 2 if I'm fast enough.  If it took me too long to get started, I can put that first wall at E 3 and still block off all Goblins from the North.  I prefer E 2 because it gives me that 1 extra piece of land later.  Next I build a wall at C 5, and nothing can hit me from the South or West because of the natural forest barriers.  I have about 12 or 13 total land tiles which are safe in my little cove, at least for a while before the goblins can advance to me from the East / South east.  Some games I hold them back with soldiers and a guard tower until I can try to stretch walls down the eastern border of my cove, but I'm also trying to speed things up so that I can wall of the east before I even need the soldiers.  No luck yet, but I do think it's possible.  In either case, this gets me past the 1200 tick mark that you've been crashing at.  Hopfully this helps you adjust your strategy a bit.

- Aprone
Aprone's software