2006-02-16 10:21:45

Ok here is my question. I know it's been asked but I'm curious once again. What steps or actions have ever been taken to contact the big gaming studios? I know limited market and all of that, but has anyone tried chain letters, petitions, or anything? I'm looking for specific experiences not endless ranting please. Thanks
bb

2006-02-16 20:42:22

Well, there's one experience I had with Capcom Uk which might sort of count.
this was a couple of years ago, before I'd discovered the Ag movement or Audiogames.

As far as main stream games go, I find it extremely difficult to play games from a 3D perspective, sinse the graphics are too complex for me and the spacial relationships aren't as symple as in 2D games. Also, as a braille user, games that involve huge amounts of text (like rpg's or stratogy games), are out for me as well.

One of my favourite game series is Capcom's Mega man series, which are 2D platform games (though a bit more complex than your average platform shooter).

Recently though, the Mega Man series (or ofshoots of it), have moved heavily into 3D and rpg style games, making them impossible for me to play.

A couple of years ago though, Capcom released a collection of the first 8 games in the mega Man series, non of which (because there extremely hard to get hold of here in the Uk), I'd ever played before.

then, Capcom stated they weren't releasing the collection in the Uk, so I looked at importing, but when I was told that the standard importing methods for Gamecube games didn't work on the collection I decided it was time to ring Capcom Uk and see what they might have to say about low vision players in the Uk.

to put it bluntly, the person I spoke to on the phone was a git of the first order.
He said that the markit wasn't right for the collection, I asked him if they'd considdered that part of the markit that can't play Capcom's recent offerings, (due to excessive text or three D graphics), he said to his knolidge there weren't any ---- and anyway Capcom were releasing a 2D game Mega man X 8.
I reminded him that Mega Man X 8 features heavily graphical, fast pased 3d flight stages, he told me that 2D games weren't sailable, and the company couldn't change policy for one person, then he hung up.

thankfully, after a bit of investigation of how to play Us region games on a Uk Gamecube, I discovered it was possible to get the collection to work, but no thanks to Capcom.

Sinse 7 games on the collection were released before 1994 and were graphically symple, it would've been great for low vision players.

I know this isn't precisely what the Ag movement is trying to do (sinse you couldn't play even the early Mega Man games just using audio), but it does say something about the attitude of big game companies towards visually impared gamers.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-02-17 00:20:55

I remember reading something on this site. There was a Japanese game that was I think completely accessible. No personal experiences here, though. I just got into audio games in October...

2006-02-17 05:33:57

I sent an email to Blizzard once, being one of the companies that consistently cranked out good games. The guy said he'd pass the information on to the developers, but nothing else. I'll look into setting up a petition, I've been considering it lately.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-17 15:01:55

well in my opinion, they may think that for one person, they dont want to implement a feature such as ag movement in their games, but if we send them e-mails about how we want their games to be accessible (so that it wont be one person), they will might think about it.
Roboy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-02-17 15:18:23

We should really do that. I've always wanted to be able to play the Madden NFL games.

2006-02-17 17:14:59

Indeed, though I think our wording should be careful, it would probably be good to make companies aware of what's going on. I've seen refferences to adding game features such as sub-titles for people with hearing impairments, but nothing as far as site problems go.

Btw, another Mega Man collection released in January (once again imported by me), featured amazingly improved use of left and right channnels in games that didn't have it originally, use of sound is clearly improving hugely.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-02-17 18:39:31

I'd just like to say that everyone having a free for all bombarding companies with emails will only result in annoying the companies concerned in my opinion. We have to present a unified front, and a petition is the ideal medium for this.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-17 19:05:20

yeah, something like, being united and things, they won't response to one person or 2, actually

2006-02-17 22:51:44

Thats why i thought that we should send them together, so they may convinced. If not, then , well, nothing to lose.
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-02-17 23:14:52

I agree. A petition signed by many has much more chance of success than all the Emails from every blind gamer in the world. People seem to take carefully prepared and signed petitions much more seriously than disjointed random Emails. However I would like to say that perhaps the reason none of the big name companies has ever attempted to build real accessibility into their games is that perhaps they don't realize how little extra work would really need to be done to make their games truly accessible to the visually impaired. All they'd really need is to make changes to the audio, speach in menus and stereo effects for enemies and things like that. Granted it might be more expensive (and that could also be a reason why it hasn't happened before), but if someone were to research exactly how big the blind gaming community is and how many of them actually do buy and play mainstream games, then go to the company armed with that information, they might open the eyes of developers to a whole new market. Companies love statistics. They just gobbel them right up. If you can provide those you might just get somewhere.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-02-18 03:30:51

Do you really think it would be that expensive? Some of these companies spen hundreds of thousands on actors and music already. Especially since text-to-speech is getting better.
On another note. Another angle is to talk about the "press" factor. A large company making a game for the blind that is contemporary and cool? The media would eat that sh-- up! What do you think about that?
bb

2006-02-18 05:07:17

I personally think there's a "Nice idea, but it doesn't apply to our games" factor. The mainstream companies won't be able to see how accessibility can be implemented for their specific game, assuming it's impossible when we know otherwise. I personally think the original homeworld could have been made accessible by using coordinates and keyboard commands alone, along with speech output of course.

Many of the things we would require would also benefit mainstream players. It's always good to have as many keyboard shortcuts in a game as possible since this not only provides players with flexibility, it allows programmable control systems like some joysticks and other controllers to perform more functions. 3D sound is also a great selling point to the mainstream as well.

I think a petition with a related FAQ would be ideal, things like how game interfaces can be made accessible and how much effort it would take.

cx2
-----

2006-02-18 07:31:33

I don't like Text to Speach. Nothing personal against those companies like PCS Games that use ATT Natural Voices, but I don't like those speach systems all that much. And in an RPG that would be totally out of place. I hate to say it but to me that's taking the easy way out. I'm not saying I'd never use those systems (well I wouldn't use Microsoft SAPI since I hate the sound of those voices), I just wouldn't use them for actual human characters. Maybe for computers and machines that are supposed to talk, but never actual characters.
  It probably would be somewhat more expensive to make mainstream games accessible because for one that's extra work for the voice actors, and I don't imagine they're cheap to begin with. But I still think that the amount of extra work that would actually have to be done to make a mainstream game both accessible and contemporary is relatively small. Heck, they could put the manuals on a CD or something so you could read it with a screen reader and a word processor since not everybody reads braille and I hear it's not cheap to have a print book translated. I do agree that this is probably not gonna happen unless the blind gaming community takes action in an orderly fashion. We had to take steps for everything else we have today and this is probably not going to be any different. It'll just take some research and a convincing argument. Heck, then maybe companies can hire blind people on their development teams and get the necessary info firsthand on how best to make the game accessible and have it still rock the house.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-02-18 14:28:39

Hi,

To answer the original question:

I went to the E3 2 years ago and talked to basically every major developer-publisher there. I know many people in the past have emailed and contacted major developers too. A couple of folks of the Game Accessibility SIG actually work at major game companies. This year at the Game Developers Conference there will be a complete tutorial (one whole day) about game accessibility. AudioGames.net will be attending and talk about

2006-02-18 16:47:57

If you guys are going to have a pitition, I say go for it!

Game Man

2006-02-18 17:34:34

well, if someone dont like sapi, there is also jaws and window-eyes apis, which we can use.
If this wont help, then we have to use sapi (i mean if someone uses for example hal)

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-02-18 18:01:41

Hi. There is also the Neo Speech voices.

Game Man

2006-02-18 18:51:54

Several issues about in game speech:
Firstly, the speech system would often have to be licensed. I don't know if this still applies to sapi.
Secondly, for providing game feedback TTS engines are by far the most flexible. It's not an easy way out for things like status information, using TTS for character speech is another matter entirely. Mainstream games always use voice acting for speech of any kind, but to provide us with essential in game feedback I think TTS is the best way to go. It cuts down on their costs dramatically, and means that changes can be made easily without disrupting the speech output. This is especially important for the growing number of games that support mods. I don't mean these change-the-sounds type mods, I mean full on TCs (total conversions). One of the best known would be Counterstrike for the original Half Life for example.

cx2
-----

2006-02-18 21:30:27

I can see using TTS for providing status information, although I will admit that if faced with a choice I would pick AT&T Natural Voices. At least that one has voices that sound relatively realistic. But when choosing which voice to use, I'd pick Crystal, since she has that calm, smooth voice that fits right into the game. I'd actually considered that for my Metroid style game (assuming of course that I do decide to start developing). I'd get an actual voice actor for the character and then use Crystal for her suit computer that would provide information on the character's status as well as warn you of approaching danger.
  I think it's great that AudioGames is gonna be at the game conference thing this year. It sounds promising. Maybe, just maybe, we're getting somewhere. Yeah it'll still take a while but it's still a good sign.

2006-02-18 22:32:44

Personally, I have no problems with tts voices for status info whatsoever. In future tech type games it can fit in the way Brian indicated, as part of sute display.
Several modern games in this type do similar things already ----- though onlyy in a minimal sense.

but even if this wasn't possible ---- say, in a medaeval style Rpg or a contemporary stratogy war game, then I stil wouldn't complain, even if the most synthetic of synth voices was used to indicate the status.
the voice would be, just like the text, independent of the action.

The only problem I could see with main stream companies using tts, is that in many games the text and menues are graphics, not actually text format ---- this is especially true of console games, but it's stil relatively easy (in comparison to making the game in the first place), to reccord other voice samples for the menues ----- even as far back as the late 80's, bleeps were used to move a curser in menues and select items (very handy if you can't read the text of the menues).
Now i think about it, I have certainly seen games that speak the menue choice when you select an item, particularly fighting games like Super Puzle fighter 2 turbo on the Playstation. The only change required would be to make mennue items spoken when you highlight them, rather than select them.

2006-02-19 06:07:04

Actually using TTS in menus isn't an issue. Even if the menu is graphical all the company has to do is tell the TTS engine what to say, the TTS engine doesn't retrieve the information itself it just gets told what to speak. In the case of screen readers the screen reader does retrieve this information fronm the software, but in the case of games the game would likely need to be using TTS directly anyway for in game information so they only need to make sure the menu can be navigated by keyboard and then send the relevant text to be spoken when you press an arrow key. Even when I had full sight I also liked menus with keyboard navigation more, just because it made things that little bit more flexible. Keyboard navigation's great if your right hand (or whichever hand you prefer) is doing something like moving junk off your computer desk, using a mouse with my left hand wasn't as effective but I used to be able to tap keys with it whilst my other hand moved my clutter around.

cx2
-----

2006-02-19 18:34:07

Well, one thing I think all games should have if it's one that's geared toward both blind and sighted is the option of turning the speach off, as well as the ability to save those settings to individual game files. Then a sighted person could have his game set up just like a normal mainstream game and it wouldn't interfere with the blind player. Sighted people I notice tend to be uncomfortable with audio games because it's so sound based.

2006-02-19 21:11:07

Most modern games I've seen that imploy save files (I'm talking console games here), seem to save your config like controller set up, along with your game status anyway. Obviously the audio version would need to make the choice of save files self voicing, then start with the audio options on until a sited person who didn't want them turned them off. I don't think this is a major issue though, beside having the audio stuff in the first place.

I understand what you mean Cx2 reguarding Tts, sorry if I made a mistake, I just assumed that (like screen readers), for Tts to work there needed to be text there initially.

to somebody who knows, I do have a question.

If we say a company is developing a game ----- say a first person shooter along the lines of doom, wouldn't it take almost twice as much work to create an audio accessible extention?

Sorry about playing devil's advocate, I don't know how much audio game developement goes into making the game engine and routines, and how much into the sound interface.
If this is something being represented at E3, I'd guess creating the game environment in sounds (once you have a working engine), isn't going to be  overly hard (in comparison to making the game in the first place).
Obviously I've got a vested interest in this sort of game developement, that's why I'd like a realistic answer. Is this something (like subtitling), that companies could do without too much effort?

2006-02-19 23:29:28 (edited by robjoy 2006-02-19 23:31:31)

Well if i tell that, then i always write games with crap sounds, even if it is a windows starting sound. The sounds are not inportant, while you write the game. Then only you have to replace the sounds, and thats all.
About the save configuration and stuff, what about a commandline parameter? Like scansoft did with their products i think it was a /blind switch.
Actually, saving the configuration is not so hard. I think making a game to a blind-friendly version is not as hard as developing a game for the sighted. It of course, depends on how the user can navigate in the game, if he/she can navigate with the mouse, it wil take time to implement keyboard commands for actions.
After these things, it is an own decision that sending out the text to sapi, jfw api, or to the window eyes api.

Best regards,
Robjoyb

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion