2006-02-20 00:42:13

Speaking of Audio Quake (it was mentioned a few times in this thread), where can it be found? I'm interested to try it.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-02-20 05:52:39 (edited by cx2 2006-02-20 05:58:43)

Audio Quake at
www.agrip.org.uk

Edit:
I'm noticing an increasing number of mainstream games having a configuration utility that runs outside of the game, I notice because my sister occasionally dabbles in these games. Something this could be uswed, or the command line parameter would be a good way as well as already mentioned.

As for the amount of effort required, mainstream games tend to focus effort on the underlying engine and the graphics. It might take a little work to include 3d sound, but that's an extra selling point to the mainstream market anyway. Once the game engine has 3d sound all you'd need would be to add extra sounds in blind mode to help with target location and aiming, and to include speech possibly through sapi.

I didn't mention being able to disable speech in an accessible mainstream game because I assumed it was a given.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-20 06:27:41

Well, I have a feeling I can forget Audio Quake. Apparently it doesn't work on Windows 98. I downloaded everything and installed it and it didn't work. Perhaps you have to have the original game? It did say something about that.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-02-20 09:19:56

Richard, is there anything we can do to help you guys for the conference? (articles, faqs ...) I'm not a devloper but I am a decent writer, editor, and compiler. Let me know.
bb

2006-02-20 09:22:55

Do you really think if we had access to some mainstream market games you would care that much about TTS? I don't like MS either but I would go buy AT&T or Neospeech myself. Anyway thanks so much for all of your input. If CX2 is going to write up a petition let's at least start the process of making our movement heard. United we standd and all that. Let's take all that energy bitching about AG devlopers and whether they're comming out with a game or not; and do something constructive.
BB

2006-02-20 11:37:27

I'd loike suggestions on what to include in the petition. I'm quite capable with the English language, but I want to make sure there's nothing I say that's inaccurate and nothing I leave out.

As for audio quake, unfortunately the engine they use is win 2k or xp only, sorry. It is possible to use it without the original game too though, you can download the shareware section to get the necessary files. The installer can do this for you. The datafiles are the copyrighted bits such as weapons and maps, the source code for Quake is now open source

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-20 16:17:15

bboyer202 wrote:

Richard, is there anything we can do to help you guys for the conference? (articles, faqs ...) I'm not a devloper but I am a decent writer, editor, and compiler. Let me know.
bb

Hi,

Thanks for your kind offer. Any material on computer gaming from a blind gamer's point of view is always appreciated! Simple stories on what gaming means to a blind gamer, etc. What their opinions are one computer game, what wished there are, etc. etc. From the stories I heard, there are *many* blind gamers that used to have sight earlier in life and played regular video games. So many blind gamers originally know what video gaming is about. The first step is always trying to get the person (developer, researcher, student, publisher, whoever) to imagine what's it like to game while not being able to see (well). And convincing them that many blind people have a good understanding of what video gaming is too.
Unfortunately there are still many many many many many people in the industry that have never even thought of blind people playing games. And even if they do, most of them then think: "blind people can't play games, because they are blind" and fail to start that imagination process. That's why I feel it's neccesary to provide easy reading material that describes personal blind gaming experiences.

I have an idea how you (and many others can help). Aside from the AudioGames.net website, Sander and I take part in a project called the "Game Accessibility" project. This is a (funded) project set up by the Accessibility foundation in Holland (http://www.accessibility.nl), where we also both work. For this project we are developing a website (http://www.game-accessibility.com) that provides on formation on accessible gaming for gamers with a handicap *and* developers, researchers, students, publishers, etc. This project is also one of the reasons we are attending this year's GDC. Now the idea is this:

I would like to receive as many personal stories as possible from gamers with a visual handicap about their gaming experience. For instance early video game experiences, what consoles or computers you used to play games on, game experiences now (what games do you play, what games do you want to play - gaming wishes), etc, etc, etc. I would then like to collect all these stories and use these for two things:

- put all your stories in one big article on the Game Accessibility project website;
- put all your stories on the GA-SIG cd that will be handed out at this year's GDC.

Stories could be very short or very long, depending on how much you want to write. I've already contacted the GA-SIG to see if there is still room on the CD. You could definately help to collect, edit (and write) submitted stories. I'll open een sticky thread in the forum about this where people can post their stories. I think this is an excellent way to get YOUR voice heard at this years GDC!

And otherwise, we are always interested in your stories here at AudioGames.net. AudioGames.net was set up to provide information on games that only require the ability to hear to play the games (well, that and to be able to press a few buttons too) simply because there wasn't an online knowledge-reservoir about it. In the years that this website exists we have reached thousands of people (each day actually). Your stories would make an excellent addition.

Greets,

Richard

2006-02-20 16:37:19

Hi again,

I posted a sticky thread here:

http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=527

greets,

Richard