2010-11-13 19:08:05

Dark:
A simple way to free up space is to run a search for .tmp files, these are always temporary files, and delete them all. That is probably most of your 2gb. I can't comment on the rest of course.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-11-14 01:53:32

that is certainly true Cx2, however it's not as much the space, as the speed fix I value. I also ran the internet optimizer, which has nearly doubled my upload speed.

The really amazing thing is that recently, my drive has been making a rather nasty high pitched whining noise much as Elliott described hereing at one stage.

After running the various  fixes, that has gone completely.

Whatever you  may think of avg's antivirus, I can certainly recommend their pc tune up program.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-14 13:10:09

well
if you want to free more space dark you can use ccleaner
just make sure you don't install the google toolbar

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2010-11-18 16:07:32

(Ick, I feel awkward posting in a thread that's been inactive for only four days. I've spent way too much time around places with necroposting rules. ^_^ )

I'm running Windows Vista (... well, I don't really know the simplest way to upgrade that won't break anything...). I think my system defrags automatically every Wednesday, though I'm not sure if this does anything to junk files or the recycle bin.

All the talk of AVG here interests me, I admit. I'm extremely reluctant to download programs that I don't necessarily need, though.
When my old laptop (running XP professional) got a dose of malware in 2007, I had campus IT fix it. They installed some variant of McAfee, along with updating a bunch of things.
Now, what had happened was I had forceably reset the computer when the malware was trying to use javascript tricks (the "install this to protect your computer! Really! It's not a trap!" kind). Somehow, this prevented the OS from booting up, and IT fixed that.

But the computer was running horribly afterward. A task called "McShield" was running by default that devoured CPU, and about once a day it'd launch "McUpdate", which pretty much froze the computer.
The laptop died summer 2008, although that might have more to do with how I was using it than McShield. I'll also say that this "fix" made programs like WMP and IE far less convenient; WMP would not-so-rarely take two minutes to load a two-second audio file!

The computer I'm on now came with a trial of norton that has since expired... and frequently reminds me of this.
Somewhere, McAfee was installed. I think it was installed when I got firefox.
I can't tell if McAfee is the least bit useful. It occasionally does quick scans (though quick, they are annoying in that they start unexpectedly and slow things down for minutes before revealing themselves). So far, it's had a habbit of flagging websites (mostly forums) as unsafe. Most of these are harmless websites.

Yesterday, a combination of Jaws, Firefox and Babelfish resulted in me having to pull up the task manager and restart jaws twice, with a third, less severe freeze in the middle. A few minutes later, I got balloons saying that firefox was closed for security reasons. Does babelfish just have untrustworthy ads? Or is my computer just being dumb?

Ah, wait... but the reason I wanted to post was to ask about Windows' Disk Cleanup, that supposedly compresses old files. I'm curious as to what criteria it uses, how this affects accessing thosefiles, Etc, since I'd rather not run anything like that if it might interfere with me using anything.

... Ah, and when my XP laptop died, it took the full version of jaws with it. So for the time being, I'm restarting my computer every forty minutes. Eh, if it didn't make completing posts here difficult, I'd say that's generally a good thing. ^_^

(Oh, dear, I have to stop rambling at such lengths...)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2010-11-18 16:36:38

Hi Cae (if this isn't your first name please let me know).

The issue with mcaffee and your old laptop sounds disturbingly like what happened to mine.

Basically, the university network (not me, the network), got a virus. It as actually quite a benign virus, sinse all it did was close ie occasionally, however out of the blue, the uni network got Mcaffi.

they didn't give any please or thank you, let alone check screen reader compatibility they just updated everyone with an auto set, auto installed copy of mcaffi.

so, windows starts, and Mcaffi detects a virus, ---- at the same time Hal is trying to start! because Mcaffi was stopping everything from running (supposedly while it dealt with the virus), this practically meant my computer wouldn't start, and I actually needed someone else to boot outside windows, run without Hal so that mcaffi could do it's thing.

sinse I could makeno settings changes to mcaffee without the stupid network changing them back (which also meant I couldn't stream media with anything bar windows media player, or connect to muds), so I lived in terror of getting a virus until i finally left colidge.

that's why I like avg, even if it finds a virus, it doesn't crash things at all.

As regards slow down, that really depends more on your ram than anything, though i did run the demo version of the avg pc tune up program on my laptop (which is five years old and doesn't have such a good ram), and I certainly didn't notice any slowdowns or evil security issues half as bad as the ones you mention.

then again, i'd not trust a university it service as far as I could throw them, ----- even with use of a catapult!

As regards windows C cleaner, I think it's just a general deflation and compression, but as far as I know it does cut some file access, that's why i'd recommend getting a third party program such as C cleaner or avg pc tune up.

oh, and both with pc tune up and avg antivirus, it's fairly easy to schedule stuff like updates for when you want them, or just decide to run them manually if you wish.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-18 21:58:55

hi dark and k
you are right the university here installed kaspersky the most disgusting antivirus on all pcs
and all pcs in the uni were infected and all flash disks contained up-to-date autorun i cleaned the home pcs at least 100 times
and this toshiba came with mcafee as soon as i got jaws i went and uninstalled the darn thing
kaspersky and norton are vary  intensive
anyway k try avira both the best and light and accessible
i will do a demo for anyone who wants to see the interface

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2010-11-19 00:33:20

Wow Enes! please stop to breethe!

In terms of Access, Avg has actually been faultless with Hal. I phoned dolphin (who make Hal), and asked them to recommend me an antivirus and they suggested avg.

2010-11-19 10:45:32

if it is fine for you
and you have no problems
that is ok i guess

2010-11-19 12:58:14

Actually as I said, the pc tune up has done amazing things for my system.

the only irritating thing is I got a bit too over enthusiastic, ran avg disk doctor which does a general scan and drive fix.

i turn on my pc, ---- no windows and a blue screen! Once I got someone to read the thing, I realized it was only scanning the disk, and a couple of hours of waiting was all that was needed, but I will see if I can contact avg about some sort of warning of this, sinse if I'd known what it was doing I wouldn't have worried.

Btw enes, have you considdered using punctuation in your posts? it's just that with a screen reader, reading a constant stream of words with no pauses for full stops or commas is a litle bit irritating and it does make what you say harder to read.

I'm not trying to be the grammar police here, but just stick in a full stop aka period occasionally, or a comma and that would help considderably.

2010-11-21 12:23:58

hi dark,
İ'm sorry, just İ was at a unfamiliar computer and my fingers where vary clumsy
İ was frustrated

2010-11-21 15:38:23

No worries.

as I said, it's not really intended as a cryticism, it's just that along with a lot of text speak conventions which people use, such as putting u for you, and ur for your, I've noticed some people on the net these days don't bother writing punctuation marks, which is as I said, a pest for a screen reader.

Sorry to here about the computer trouble. One thing you might try, is play a game like whackamole http://audiogames.net/db.php?id=WAckamole sinse it involves hitting keybord letters fairly fast and is probably a fun way of practicing typing.

Amineel's fast to type game might be good for this as well.

either way, I hope you sot things out.

2010-11-21 20:45:42

i have to agree with dark. avg is quite accessible. i made for myself a some sort of list of un-accessible and accessible antiviruses:
unaccessible: kaspersky, mc affee, panda, norton, very hardly with jaws cursor or so bitdefender.
accessible: avg, avast, avira, eset, f-secure.
those are what i tried on myself.
I have to not agree with enes. the new avira 10 isnt so good accessible. the notifications, are not visible, for jaws or so, or atleast i cant find them, so i dont know, whats going on. And it is bad too, that you never know if its updated the database or not. avast sorted it out with a sound, so you know always when its up-dating. Now actually using avast myself.
And a question for dark: Do avg still produce their free antivirus? Is it good, or no?
thanks
michal

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-22 11:05:29

Now,this is interesting with all the talk of mcafee avg and such.But I must disagree with most of the people here.I use mcafee,while not as good,as AVG sounds,its alright.And mcafee is quite accessible to me.It doesn't slows down the system,or anything of that sort.But as Dark said,the slowing down of the pc depends on ram,and I am useing a lenovo g550 it has a ram of 3gb.With all the talk of avg pc tuneup,I really must give it a go.It really sounds great,but the question I had is,Will installing it interfere with mcafee?or anything like that.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2010-11-22 19:04:00

hello,
michal, İ never said that avira 10 was accessible
anyways i use 9.0 it is awsome

2010-11-22 20:41:29

well but 10 is newer. hehehe. and i hate how it blocks all usb-drives. bleh!

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-22 21:27:20

I find AVG a very great security software, but I am not that keen of norton since it's not very accessible. I had to, with very much difficulty, uninstall it to even be able to get things like winfrotzTTS, Super Deecout and so on to work. NOD32 is great too I think. When it comes to firewalls windows firewall does it's work for me, but I'm not sure what system you have.

Sometimes the best you can doo is to forget. Don't waste your time with what already has been done, because then you wil just break down in the end.

2010-11-23 03:16:31

Well Grryf, avg pc tune up shouldn't interfere with other programs, sinse all the fixes it does are of things like registry and disk errors which don't have to do with programs or viruses, in fact as far as I can tell Avg hasn't altered any of my programs one bit, ---- other than disabling the annoying start up things like windows messenger through it's system adviser and startup manager programs.

The only warning I will give is regarding the avg disk doctor tool. If you run a scan and fix with it, beware the scan taking time at startup (and if you've got a lot of stuff on your drive, possibly a long time like a couple of hours).

then again, it's not precisely necessary to run disk doctor at all, ----- and avg certainly doesn't run it by default.

As to slow down, pc tune up did slow down my laptop at startup when i ran the demo just for a temporary fix (I can't afford the licensing for two machines over time, but I thought a quick fix with the demo version would at least help). My laptop has only about a 1.6 gb ram (hay, it is five years old), funnily enough though the basic disk scan and fix (which you can schedule it to do on a weakly basis rather like anti virus scanning), didn't slow down the machine at all, though having the program run at startup did mean a longer time starting (stil, you can always just run itwhen you wish instead).

As to the free antivirus buclee, yes Avg do stil do it, but i'm not sure how much of it, ----- if any, continues to be updated after the first 30 day free trial is over so you might want to check that if your looking for a free program.

oh, and Avg doesn't give audio update warnings like avast (a friend of mine uses avast), but sinse it updates automatically you don't really need it to. In fact, quite often I only know if it's updated if I look at the control panel, and get a shock when i realize it updated that morning and I didn't know!

then again, my pc does have a 4 gb ram so slow down really isn't a problem.

Mcaffi may have improved, but to be honest I wuldn't personally trust a program which gave me so much trouble in the past, stil, if it works for you fair enough.

2010-11-23 16:30:51

yes. sometimes free antiviruses can be much better than paid. i had good responses to avg, avira, and avast. those are the most accessible, what i ask among the blind friends of mine.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-24 17:45:54

well,
İ hate the autorun feature of windows
it is the best way to get infected

2010-11-25 02:22:52

I however use too many cd's and dvds in my computer to want to disable this really, and I'm confident in Avg to deal with threats (actually the system adviser in avg pc tune up recommended I disable auto run as well, but I decided not to).

Buclee, actually paying for an antivirus is necessary sinse you need the updates to make certain that it is stil able to identfy recent viruses. That's really what you pay for, not the program itself.

Avast and Avg, ---- and I believe Avera, all need cash to maintain th updates, not much, but it is worth it to keep your pc save.

If you don't want to pay, you'll need to look for a free program that updates, and though I've tried a couple such as spybot search&destroy and Add aware, I've not really found any that are either particularly accessible, or easy to update (updating spybot was a real pest!), pluss they only cover one sort of mal ware, ie, add ware or spy ware, not a range of stuff from viruses to rootkips the way Avg etc do.

Most of the time, I'd agree there are fairly good free programs to do stuff, for instance I stil use the free version of winamp, I'm trying the free version of Mirc at the moment, and i've never found a better unzipping program than 7zip, including winra.

For all podcatching needs, ---- klango is fantastic! and none of those features require cash (so no need to buy a commercial podcatcher).

However, I've found that security is something of a different matter.

Interestingly enough, I'd probaby say the same thing now about pc maintenance.

i once tried a program called C cleaner, but again, nether accessible, easy to update, or overly effectiv with more issues than basically removing junk files.

Avg pc tune up leaves it in th dust in terms of functionality and performance.

2010-11-25 17:25:34

well i dont have the card activated topay over internet, so i cant pay for antivirus, so i dont have idea how to. and as for your spyware removing i recomend superantispyware free edition. i use it for three years, it is veryveryvery well accessible, easy and everything what you need from trojans, to tracking cookies. hth.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-25 17:42:46

hi,
İ disagree!
avira is a free antivirus and detects all malware
superantispyware goes vary well with malwarebytes
also avira updates its database regularly

2010-11-26 00:57:33

Well fair enough, I've not tried avera. But I will say Avg does deal with viruses, spyware and various other nasties as well.

As for paying buclee, while a creddit card is a good idea, there are other methods.

Avg for instance can take money orders or posted checks from pretty much anywhere in Europe I believe.

2010-11-26 13:20:08

ifits good, i am villing to pay for it, if there is another way not over net. hehe. i heard only good things about recent avg from friends too. so curious.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-26 18:11:23

also
microsoft antiviurs sucks