2010-11-04 17:37:16

hi,
what is the good security software, for windows, which is accessible with screenreaders too?
thanks
michal

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-04 19:49:32

I don't know if it is accessible with screen readers, but I highly recommend Avast.  It is free and I've found it to be better than Norton, AVG, and McAfee after years of using it while repairing computers.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2010-11-04 21:29:24

i have to agree. but i need a firewall too. any suggestions? as i guess the windows firewall sucks(using win 7 home premium), and avast 5.0 free, now.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-05 10:46:31

I personally am a fan of avg, sinse I find it most accessible with Hal and far less of a pain in the neck than Norton or mcaffi (mcaffi actually managed to completely crash my laptop once thanks to the fantastic bungling of the uni network).

I'll admit I haven't tried avast though, so am uncertain on screen reader compatibility issues, but sinse I've now got an avg subscription I'll probably stick with that at least for now.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-05 14:44:41

The Windows firewall is passable if not great. Eset Smart Security is pretty good, it includes a firewall as well as Nod 32 which is one of the best antivirus programs out there. No false positives ever, and incredibly high detection rates among even a new and unheard of virus.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-11-05 15:07:57

I am recommending eset nod 32. It is good antivirus.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-11-05 17:25:56

hm will try eset. maybe. i heard about avg, that it slows down pc, runs its scans, whenever it wants, false positives, and more. true? I have to agree. avg is really accessible. i tryed mc afee(really slow, cause got it as pre-iinstalled avsolution in my newly bought laptop), so i removed it immediatly. Tryed avira too.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-05 20:05:21

I've not particularly noticed slow down with avg actually, either when it runs default scans or when I run manual ones, even when it auto updates.

Of course though that depends upon your pcs' ram.

As to false positives, the only one I've particularly noticed is Night of parasite, which seems to be flagged by a lot of security programs probably just because of the chinese coding.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-05 21:05:41

Declaring something a virus because it comes from China is patently absurd. I'm pretty sure AVG is known for false positives in general, though you won't find them every day naturally.

Nod 32 which I use is fairly accessible if you enable the access option. All the settings can be controlled through a tree view which selects the category, then a normal set of check boxes and so on for the actual options.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-11-05 22:21:29

@cx2 how do you enable that? I nmean the access ting?

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-11-06 10:16:08

Can't remember it's such a long time ago. It's an option somewhere in the settings. The more accessible part of it is the "advanced configuration" which you enter from the right click context menu on the system tray icon.

cx2
-----

2010-11-06 12:44:11

sounds good, maybe will give it a shot. now using avira.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-06 15:45:44

I don't think it's just the chinese thing, I think it's probably that something in nop's coding just looks slightly dodgy, sinse I've heard several people mention various security programs flagging nop as a virus.

I will say that avg is good for picking up real stuff, in fact the reason i originally got it was that I accidently opened a dodgy mail, ---- which was entirely my fault, windows flagged me as having a virus, so then i downloaded avg to dispose of it which it subsequently did.

After my free month's trial I decided it was good enough to warrent me keeping it.

I think the worst I've seen for false positives was mcaffi, though that might just have been because the uni network enforced very draconian security settings (I tried to turn down mcaffi's security at one point to let me play muds, but the network promptly did a check 15 minutes later and set things back to where they were).

2010-11-08 19:43:19

no problem with n.o.p
hey you nod32 guys out there
let me tell you something
we had nod32 on our desktop pc it was slow  so i got suspicious and removed it installed avira updated it and ran a full scan
and low and behold! 45 infections!
and we scanned with eset before it was just sleeping!

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2010-11-09 05:11:14

Very strange, I'm a little suspicious that NOD32 was either not updated or pirated. It has an incredibly good reputation among technical people and I can't imagine how it would let that many infections slip by.

cx2
-----

2010-11-09 15:30:11

its possible, it was cracked or so. eset is fantaastic. using it third day. no problems, no slowdowns noticed.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-09 18:35:47

i use avira
best antivirus i ever saw
if anyone wants it i will give the link

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2010-11-11 06:40:51

Bucklee:
I guessed the slow down was caused by the infection. Nod 32 is hands down the fastest AV I've ever used, a full system scan on my 80gb hard drive which is at least 75% used only takes a little over an hour with my high settings.

cx2
-----

2010-11-11 16:06:55

yes. solved it, now everything is cool. eset is da king.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-11-11 16:15:47

Avira is dont using with mouse?

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-11-11 18:09:40

it is fully accessible
if you want it i have it at dropbox

2010-11-11 19:01:03

thanks.

2010-11-13 10:33:29

do you want the link?

2010-11-13 12:43:46

Well, sinse using Avg's pc tune up program, which fixes registry errors, deletes junk files, fixes hard disk issues, defrags the disk, can muck about with start procedures and such, I'm well impressed.

After defragging, fixing registry, deleting junk files etc, my drive got an extra 2! gb of space, and now my pc is reacting as quickly as it did when I first got it two years ago, which is great!

I am very much considdering buying the program.

2010-11-13 14:44:48

hello,
if you want avira download it from this link
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8746151/avira_a … nal_en.exe