2010-11-06 14:47:34

well with vb and without extra help using ogg won't ezactly be easy.
Anyway I really like the game and that sort of thing, lol.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-11-06 17:01:40

This game sounds amazing! Looking through the forum posts though it seems no one has gotten it working on a windows 7 machine yet. I tried to get direct x 7, but it said it was incompatible with my version of windows. Has any one had any luck getting it to work for windows 7?

2010-11-06 17:03:45 (edited by elliott 2010-11-06 17:05:03)

niall wrote:

This game sounds amazing! Looking through the forum posts though it seems no one has gotten it working on a windows 7 machine yet. I tried to get direct x 7, but it said it was incompatible with my version of windows. Has any one had any luck getting it to work for windows 7?

I've got exactly the same issue here. I really want to play the game, but I'm running Windows 7. I'd be more than happy to test though. As far as I know, DX7VB.dll needs to be placed in the System32 directory in the Windows folder then registered. Haven't tried this yet myself though.
Edit: May be the VB 6 Redist will fix the problem, I'll investigate.

2010-11-06 18:39:48 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-06 18:44:55)

Dark, the game now offers 2 types of path description.  Simply pressing E will play a simple version that just says where the monsters enter, where they exit, and that the exit is where your base is.  If players want more detailed path information, pressing SHIFT and E brings up the older description that includes each turn of the path.  Let me know what you think of it.

I've actually changed level 4 and 5 around to make things easier.  I've also been getting stuck at the bugs so hopefully this will fix that.  big_smile  If all goes as planned, you should find level 4 to be slightly easier and you'll earn 10 more gold total.  That will, ideally, give you a few more options for starting level 5 in terms of towers or upgrades... because I tended to be just slightly too poor to do what I'd like at that point.  The bugs themselves have had their health reduced so they might not be as hard to mow down.  If this change works as I hope, you'll actually be glad when the bugs show up because it will mean a lot of new gold coming in to prepare you for what lies in the levels ahead.  Lots of bug kills = a lot of gold.  big_smile

Pitermach is right about the ogg format.  It will be far easier for me to use wavs even though they are larger in file size.  What I'll end up doing is recording all of the words myself and just posting them.  Anyone who is interested in participating can download the zip and record their own version of each file.  It sounds strange, but I need a handful of different voices saying each thing.  Oh that remind me!  I had a buddy over yesterday (the reason I didn't get much done lol) and he was very excited about the combat game.  *clears throat* I MAY have secretly been working on that game too for the past few days.  big_smile  Now that I've let that slip, I'm a little tempted to start a thread detailing what works/doesn't work so far in that game too!  Don't worry though guys, my primary focus has been on the tower defense game so we can get this thing finished.

I've got a lot of work still ahead of me today, but I am uploading a new version that fixes a handful of issues.  The existing game link is on the first post now too.

Do you guys have any suggestions for the game's official name?  I'll reserve the final say for myself, but I'd love to hear any suggestions (since I haven't been thinking about it).

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2010-11-06 19:08:35

The path description does sound cool, as does making those giant bugs a litle less unstoppable.

I'll be glad to record stuff in wav or mp3 format as you wish, though I'm afrid (putting on my moderation hat), perhaps a new thread to discuss the combat game might be a good plan sinse currently without game instructions people will need to read this thread, so perhaps it should at least detail tower defense info only.

As to names well I have some ideas.

How about fortify, towers of waror destruction path.

Of course, names also depend upon what you've go in mind for the game's setting, for instance if you are defending a human settlement against an invading army of nasties, something like boarder defense might be appropriate.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-06 22:17:51 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-06 22:19:13)

Well I think that's all the time I have today.  Work on the game will have to continue tomorrow.  I just posted another update that fixes more problems, adds the difficulty settings, and gives options for saving and loading games.  Now you won't have to start at the beginning each time yay! big_smile  The link on the first post is updated.

Microwave towers work great on bugs... just a tip.  tongue

OH!  I almost forgot... besides the tile-skipping problem, please let me know if you guys spot ANY bugs even if you've mentioned them already.  I think I've fixed most (if not all) of them and I'd like to know if some still need more work.  Thanks again for the testing guys... you all ROCK!  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-07 01:39:29

hi everyone. I have a annoying problem. I was able to download the latest version of this game and i was impressed. The game is extremely entertaining. Thanks so much for making such an original and entertaining game! Unfortunately, i had to close it with alt f 4 to close the game a while after playing it. When i reran the game, which i had named tower, i was given the main menu, but when i tabbed to new game and pressed enter, i was given a run time error message. I know that uninstalling the game and re installing it may fix the problem, but i have to search fo it on my computer, and i am unable to find an uninstall option! Please help. I'm not too good with computers, so some very basic instruction would be much apreciated.

2010-11-07 07:30:01

Ivandrago, are you getting the error each time you try to play now?  If so, what exactly does the error say?

There is no uninstall for the game because there isn't currently an "install".  You don't have to worry about it leaving anything on your system... once you delete it, it is completely gone.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-07 15:28:33 (edited by dan_c 2010-11-07 15:44:16)

Aprone, your work rate and response time is phenominal!  This thing is very addictive, which at the moment is the last thing i need. lol. But i think i found a bug, not sure if it still exists as i played the game yesterday.  Basically, with the sniper tower, it says to upgrade the tower to 100 pts of damage, however i cant help wondering whether or not it had that anyway? if so, seeing as snipers are rather powerful, could it say be upgraded to 150 or something as the cannon has around 120 after its upgrade? just a thought.  Also, can some one describe each of the towers for me? mainly the micro-wave and frost ones? for the game doesn't say what they do and i don't really want to go looking through all the posts to find out. Sorry to keep edditing, i just thought it better than double posting.  I've also just found that there is no voice telling you where you are on the grid and the grid is on. i'll try again though.

2010-11-07 16:53:49

Thanks dan big_smile
Even though there is a whole ton of other information to share (range, rate of fire, price per upgrade) I'll go over each tower's damage and general characteristics.  As things are being balanced, some of these stats might change.

The Rifle tower starts out at 8 damage.  Upgrades take it to 16, 32, 64, and finally 128 damage.  The Rifle tower is your basic tower that works pretty well in all situations.  It isn't specialized for any specific job.  Don't forget about the trusty old rifle tower after you see the cool features of the other towers... these towers are pretty cheap and they get pretty useful as you upgrade them.

The Cannon tower starts out at 68 damage.  Upgrades take it to 120, 200, 380, and finally 710 damage.  When this tower hits an enemy, the blast also hurts any monsters who are on the same grid.  Some types of monsters group very close together as they run around the path.  Usually this makes them harder, but this is exactly what the cannon tower is made for.

The Sniper tower starts out at 40 damage.  Upgrades take it to 100, 250, 265, and finally 1565 damage.  Some tiles are just way too far from the path for the other towers to reach.  The sniper tower starts with a long range, and each upgrade makes it even longer!  It attacks super slow, but as you can see, upgrades exponentially increase its damage.  When Golems or Dragons attack with thousands of health points... it is nice to have a sniper tower around.

The Micro-wave tower starts out at 1 damage.  Upgrades take it to 1.5, 2.5, 4, and finally 6 damage.  This seems low, but the tower attacks super super fast AND it hurts any monsters within range.  Other towers have to aim at someone, but the Micro wave tower is beaming pain in all directions each time it shoots.  These are great to put at corners so the enemies spend the most time in its range.  If you're having trouble with huge swarms of low-health enemies (Like Bugs and Imps) you'll want to give this tower a try.

The Frost tower doesn't actually do any damage.  Instead, it will cripple an enemy and slow down how fast it can walk.  It starts at 20% speed reduced.  Upgrades take it to 30%, 40%, 50%, and finally 60% speed reduced.  I'd suggest you place Frost towers close to the beginning of the path so it can start crippling enemies right away.  The monsters who escape the frost will march away and face your other towers, but the ones who are crippled will probably not get there until long after their faster brothers are dead.  This gives you an advantage because your normal towers didn't have to fight as many enemies at once.  Usually the crippled monsters can be killed off easily because each of your towers has more time to shoot them.

Hopefully this helps a bit big_smile

So you had the grid voice stop working even though the grid was still turned on?  Hmm, that's a new bug... I'll look in to it.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-07 17:04:13

For me, the voice does tell me the coordinates when I move around, but it would be cool to have a keyboard alternative to the coordinates command besides just the mouse.
The microwave tower basically fires very rapidly in a small range and does only 1 point of damage per shot, but I believe it fires 160 shots per minute. It's wonderfully effective against the bugs.
The frost tower also seems to inflict not too little damage, but more importantly, it slows enemies down.
For now, I have discovered only two issues that still seem to be present:
When I start a new game after having played one before, the towers and levels are reset, which is ok, of course, but the sounds are not. So, if I was standing on a tile with a tower before starting a new game, it still keeps saying the name of the tower when the new game is started, and does so until I move elsewhere. So I'd like to recommend you to look through all the variables and make sure that all of them are initialized at the time they should be. I think the sounds should be stopped even when terminating the game and escaping back to the menu, not only when starting a new game. This is closely related to something that I find confusing - it seems that when I play several games during one session, the tower base and upgrade values are somewhat messed up. They seem to be different to me every game, or at least what the upgrades offer, although I was never able to remember the precise original and first upgrade values. When it says that a tower costs, deals, does, etc so many points or shots or tiles before I build one, does the number refer to the value available right upon building, or to its maximum power after all possible upgrades? Cause the upgrades seem to be slightly off - sometimes an upgrade is offered to me that has the same value as the tower said it would have before I built it, sometimes the upgrade values don't seem to change at all, meaning that it would offer me the same value after I have upgraded once but for double the cost, etc. If you want, I can test this much more thoroughly and write all the numbers down as I notice them.
Some more things:
I noticed that some of the keys still do not work after I have done something on a tile, until I move out of there and back again. They are the left control key, I believe, then tab and some of the status keys as well, I think.
And last but not least, I believe it would allow for better orientation if we were not allowed to actually cursor out of the map but instead only heard a bumping sound of some kind when colliding with the edge. By the way, I wonder where the game is supposed to start by default - at what coordinates. :-)
How far did all of you manage to get, and what was your highest score so far? By the way, Aprone, it would be cool to have a high score listing as well. :-)
My record was 4700 something points, and I think it was level 5 where I was finally killed.
Keep up the great work, this game rocks!
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-11-07 17:09:23 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-07 17:16:36)

Haha I still find it hilarious that this forum replaces the word micro-wave (if put together) with the word spam.  I'm going to get so many people asking about the mysterious "Spam" tower lol.  big_smile

The stats being incorrectly read isn't your imagination... I've had plenty of people mention it and I've even heard it myself once or twice.  I'm convinced it is a typo somewhere in a certain section of the code, but even narrowing it down I haven't spotted it yet.  I will though!  lol.  When you first go to buy a tower, it is telling you the stats (damage, range, rate of fire) that it will begin with.  If the error is in the section I believe it is in, there is a chance it could have even been reading those stats off incorrectly to you.  This problem is also linked to the fact that it doesn't initialize properly and you still hear upgrades from the previous game.

I started to fix the lingering tile sounds yesterday, but something distracted me... I forget what it was.  I'll keep that one on my immediate to-do list as well, since that one bugs me too!  Related to it, when it glitches and you hear the monsters approaching but NOT leaving that annoys me.  I like knowing when I've hit the end of the enemies so I can feel a little better about my defenses.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-07 17:11:31

Oh, great minds think alike. Grins
Thanks for the tower descriptions, they are actually very helpful and clear some of the confusion. So I will now be able to pay much better attention to how the upgrades actually behave throughout the game.
Having read "the spam tower" in my previous post really amazed me, LOL! I forgot about what all of you kept saying about the micro wave tower, which I of course meant, but now I do get the point. big_smile
All right, thanks and keep it up! :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-11-07 17:24:12

Lukas, I almost forgot to mention I'll look into the problem with the keys.

Keeping people on the map and removing the border Does seem like a good idea, and I think bladestorm (I could be wrong) suggested that once too.  Back when the game was in its early stages of development... what, like 3 days ago? haha... I didn't have the border on the map.  I know everyone would have different skills, but I was having a terrible time trying to move around and keep my bearings.  I suppose it is because I use the mouse rather than the keyboard... when pressing an arrow key you KNOW you're moving 1 tile in that direction, but moving the mouse means you have to hear your way around.  Without the border I kept stopping too soon or too late when I wanted to move to the tiles at the edges.
If we get more people who think I should remove the border, I will gladly do it.  smile  I do have a different idea I could try for how to make the mouse-users more stable around the edges.  I'll leave that up to you guys though... I'm peddling the bike but you guys are stearing!  big_smile   ... and that's exactly how it should be for game development, in my opinion.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-07 17:27:39

its odd you're not having the same problem. whenever i play the game, i have no idea what square i'm on as it doesn't say. therefore i guestimate and put them on b7, c7 e7 and either i3/1 or a6. so i try to figure out where those places are. it works sometimes. just haven't figured where to best put the snipers

2010-11-07 17:45:36

Be careful for the static sound. When I start the game, I always start outside of the map, lol. Usually, many presses of the right and down arrow keys help me to get to charted area.
Aprone, thanks for the reaction. :-)
By the way, I think you really do need to look at saving. The last time I have figured out a wonderful strategy, have successfully completed level 8 with the 3 golems, had 666 gold and 7 lives remaining but I had to save. Some settings apparently are not saved at all or properly, as it then didn't announce any towers, when I pressed r, it just told me some random letters and numbers, and when I moved over to where I knew I had a tower and wanted to upgrade it, it offered to upgrade damage to 0, etc. LOL
So unfortunately I had to forfeit that game but it rocked! I think I finally know how to go about this. :-)
Just a little tip for those still struggling: It's wonderfully efficient to slow the enemies down right at the beginning. AFter that, when you get to higher levels, you'll start earning more and more gold. :-)
Hope this helps,
Lukas

2010-11-07 18:06:08

I hadn't noticed any issues with the save game yet... crud that's not good!  Sorry you lost your progress sad  I will definitely look in to that problem soon, since I imagine it is going to start affecting others as well.  If it makes you feel any better... the next thing I'm changing would actually cause everyone to lose their current saved games anyways.  Well that isn't entirely correct, it would just make them start fresh if they wanted to be on the high score list.

I've been working on the score list since your earlier post (up a few posts I think) and I had to solve one major issue.  Lets say you're doing really well and you save the game shortly before you're killed.  Your score gets put on the top-10 list, but here is the problem... what stops you from loading your saved game, doing a little better, and getting on the list again?  Basically one guy could quickly and easily clear everyone else off the board!  I have a solution though.  When a brand new game is created, I'm having it link a random code to your game.  This way if you load from a saved game and get a good score, the high score list will recognize that you've already used that code in a high score submission.  It will know you loaded from a previously saved game rather than starting fresh, and it won't record the score.  This does mean I'm going to have to go with 1 of 2 possible routes...  Let people CHOOSE if they want to submit their score, or MAKE them if they die (or win).  Both have advantages and disadvantages, so maybe I should let you guys decide.

Option #1
If someone dies (no more lives) or they win the game, they are asked if they want to submit their score to the online high score list.  By choosing "No" they can load up a saved game and try to do better.  This could let someone try over and over to beat your high score by just a little bit to steal the spot from you hehe.

Option #2
If someone dies (no more lives) or they win the game, it will automatically submit their score to the online high score list.  This means they will have to start over from the beginning if they want to try to get on the top-10 list again.  Of course they can still load their saved games if they just want to play for fun and don't care about getting a new high score.  The advantage for this is that anyone on the top-10 high score list got there with 1 chance!  Yeah if the phone rings or whatever, you can save and come back later... but if you actually Lose the game your score is submitted.  I personally think this would make the high scores mean more, plus it would be scarier knowing you can't just load the game you saved 30 seconds ago.  smile

I'll worry about making this whole thing tamper proof later.  I shouldn't have any trouble doing so.
Let me know what you guys think is the best way to handle high scores.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-07 18:37:43

All right, okay and thanks. It really is not that much of a deal to me, I was just surprised how well that particular strategy worked. Smile
About high scores, I personally don't really know, but I still think option #2 would be better anyway. Should eliminate any possibilities of cheating if the game automatically tried to submit the score upon completion, so it would be fair and equal to everyone. :-)
Just my thoughts.
Lukas

2010-11-07 20:32:57

OK, finally, I get to check out this game! THe download hadn't been working yesterday. BUt now it does.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-11-07 21:14:11

That game is pretty cool! I just got a score of 3459 on easy, which I don't think is too bad, and I only used 3 towers. I died though, that level 3 is pretty hard for me. The horse things are hard. I used 2 microwave towers 1 rifle tower. And I upgraded the micro wave towers to do like 160 shots a minute and 2 damage each shot and a range of 2.2 tiles, and put them at a7 and b7 and c7 and beat those monsters down, until the 6th level with the boars.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-11-07 21:31:04

Not bad at all KeyIsFull big_smile
I'm nearly done with the high score list, so hopefully soon you'll be able to compare yourself to the rest of the community.  While I wait for more people to give opinions about the high score stuff... I'll set it up with option #2.  I can always change it to option #1 later if people decide that is the better route to take.

I've also disabled the border for now.  I thought it was, at least, worth trying out the game without the border so that people can finally know for sure if they like it this way or the old way.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-07 22:30:09

Hey all,

First let me say this is an amazing effort. I love the idea of this game, as well as the multiplayer combat idea that has been mentioned.
Secondly, i confirm that jim kitchen's winkit indeed enables windows 7 x64 compatibility ... I think.
The game loaded, gave no errors and didn't die in the least when i tried. It could be that some things dont do what they should ...but I dunno what they should be doing so can't quite comment on that.
Thirdly can someone PLEASE make a playthrough of this game? I've tried but usually i get owned at level 4 or so. I own levels 1 and 2, in level 3 i usually lose 15 of my 20 lives and at level 4 i lose the remaining 5. but i totally lose my way once the monsters come .  its pretty much pray your towers get em all usually. Also, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but when i built a micro-wave tower and checked its menu it said 'upgrade damage to 1 point'  is that right? :S

Balliol

2010-11-07 22:34:59

Sup balliol smile
I'm glad to hear the news about jim kitchen's winkit because I checked it earlier and it seems to have been done the same way I eventually planned to do this game's installer.  Hopefully this means when I finally DO put in an installer everyone will be able to play without compatibility issues.

I'm am quite tempted to make a walk-through now.  I've been staring at code for too long today, and that would be a nice break for my poor eyes haha!
The micro wave tower starts out with 1 damage so that was a bug.  I still haven't hunted down the bug that sometimes tells incorrect upgrade information and tower stats... when I do I'll be very happy.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-07 22:42:17

Hi,

I'm willing to test any new versions that come out, for both projects and eventual others you have. I own a windows xp and a windows 7 box, i have dabbled in vinux which is an accessibe linux distribution and I'm about to receive my macbook so i cn test every conceivable OS tongue
Also a walkthrough would be brilliant. As i said i seem to have a bit of trouble
tongue

Watching the thread,
Balliol

2010-11-07 22:47:46

you better believe that I'm trying this. This will be awesome.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.