2010-11-07 22:50:23

sorry, I don't get it, how do I build a tower?

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2010-11-07 22:56:32

press control on a square that is land, then press tab to find a tower, then press enter to build.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-11-08 02:20:04

When I download the latest version, Windows gives me a compressed zipped folders error, the file "filename" is invalid. Also, 7-zip unzips some of the files, but says most of them have an unsupported compression format.

2010-11-08 02:25:56 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-08 02:32:41)

Quasar, if you just recently tried to download then the problem is probably because I'm uploading another update.  The other possibility is that the zip got corrupted somehow during transfer... can someone else give it a try to see if they have the same problem?  I think I'll try downloading it too.

*nevermind* I tried and the zip is corrupted.  I'll upload it again.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2010-11-08 02:27:45

Aprone wrote:

Quasar, if you just recently tried to download then the problem is probably because I'm uploading another update.  The other possibility is that the zip got corrupted somehow during transfer... can someone else give it a try to see if they have the same problem?  I think I'll try downloading it too.

That's probably the problem as all my download attempts have been in the last twenty minutes or so.

2010-11-08 02:30:36 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-08 02:38:32)

Actually I tried to download and got the same error, so it isn't that.  I must have had a corrupt zip that I uploaded... I'll upload it again.

Oh crud, this could be an issue... I wasn't going to update the beta again until after I had people try out the newest version with the online high score list.  I'm a little worried it might not work and then no new people could play the game.  I suppose I don't have much of a choice on that now though, since I screwed up the main beta's zip.  tongue

Give me like 5 minutes and it'll be uploaded.

ok, it should be ready.

Guys, the new update has been posted.  I'm REALLY hoping no one ends up with any "unregistered ocx" errors because I've added in a lot of new stuff that hasn't been tested for compatibility.  Please let me know if you guys run in to any errors.  The high score list is pretty basic but I'll clean it up as the game continues development.  Whenever you die your score will automatically be submitted to the online top 10 list.  Each difficulty level has its own top 10 list.  Currently, if you want to check the high scores you must be in a game... checking the list has been added to the main menu, and it will read off the list for the current difficulty level you've selected.  While I work on cleaning this all up, you guys can finally battle it out on the top 10 lists.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-08 02:40:38

I personally think that having multiple paths could be a very interesting situation. It could work something like: if you get to level 10, all your towers are sold back to the game, and you get a bonus. Then, the new map is loaded, with the new path to work with. This could happen again at level 20 and 30. As for larger maps, I think this could be a difficulty-based thing. It could also tie into the new paths suggestion.
Finally, I think game music would also add ann extra layer to the game's feel.
I would like to see a few more status keysm including where the farthest monster has made it to, the number killed, and how many remain.

2010-11-08 03:20:31

how do you sell towers? And why would you want to? And I think you should be able to get just a bit more gold for each monster death so you can build more and upgrade more towers because I seem to lose between 9 and 15 lives on l3 with the boars.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2010-11-08 03:28:10 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-08 03:44:39)

Click or press Control on a tower, then press backspace to sell it.  Sometimes you'll want to sell a tower because you'd rather put something else in its spot.  Personally I tend to sell towers as a last desperate attempt to get a higher score... I'll explain.  Lets say I've never made it to level 10 and the monsters of level 9 are going to kill me before I do.  Once they've gotten past some of my towers I'll pause the game, sell those towers, and use the money to build more stuff toward the end of the path.  Sometimes this can be just barely enough to keep you alive until the next level.  Obviously if you are doing something that desperate you will quickly die on the next wave of monsters, but surviving to the end of a level gives you bonus points for various things.  There is a big point difference between dying with 1 monster left or dying right away on the next level.

Actually as you increase in the levels you'll get gold a lot faster.  If you're having trouble on level 3, listen to the game walk through at the bottom of the first post.  To help people get started, I walk through tip on how to survive to level 7... and I'm sure you guys will find a hundred ways to improve upon the method I used.

Sweet!  I was wondering if anyone had tried the newest update with the high score... and then I noticed people's names already showing up on it!  Woo Hoo I'm happy to see you guys are already busy filling those lists up.  big_smile
P.S. I'm currently uploading my last update for tonight.  In about 8-10 minutes there will be a version posted that finally has the rest of the levels coded (there are 20 levels instead of the 40 planned).  The update also has a victory sequence (sounds fancy but it just means the game knows to end when you win) plus I fixed a few more of the annoying bugs.  A very annoying bug is finally fixed... that one that spoke the wrong stats for towers.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-08 04:09:36

Aprone, I know that you recorded oll tehevoices and stuff, and there is a lot of silence in between each word and sutff. I am working to trim all the silence down. Would you be happy if I sent you za ip file with tll the trimmed down sounds?

2010-11-08 04:28:00 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-08 04:30:01)

Actually that won't be necessary KeyIsFull.  One of the things I still plan to do is re-record all of the audio so it sounds nicer.  The sounds in the beta are just temporary place holders so I could get everything working.  I appreciate the willingness to help though.  big_smile

I wasn't going to upload any more updates tonight, but I just found and fixed a bug that sometimes bought the wrong upgrade when you tried to upgrade either range or rate of fire.  I don't remember if anyone else pointed that one out earlier, but it happened to me while I was playing so I was able to fix it.  I'll post the update in a few minutes.  I'm slowly running out of bugs to fix... I hope.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-08 05:39:43

Sorry for the double post, but you guys are going to want to know about an update I just posted.  Yeah I know, I know... I've already said I was done for the night TWICE Haha!  big_smile  Well After beating the game on easy, for the first time woo hoo, I noticed a typo that can cause the game not to see your internet connection if you've loaded from a saved game.  I fixed that and also finished up the balancing for Normal and Hard mode.  This is definitely the last update tonight since my wife wants me to get off the computer.  smile  Happy gaming everyone, I'll be back tomorrow.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-08 08:13:51

Hi all. I am using Windows7 32 bit and I can not play this game. I had an error when I open the game exe. What is this?

2010-11-08 09:26:27

Please post the error so we can help you figure out the problem. You can also try redownloading the zip file, and looking back through the thread to see if anyone else has had the same error.

2010-11-08 12:24:09

"run-time error '429':  activeX component can't create object.

2010-11-08 12:50:02

Good Grief! I'm busy for one evening and this happens?

unfortunately the last beta I tried was the one from saturday, so I can't say precisely if this is any help, but I'll give info anyway.

I noticed the tower stats reading issue and the upgrade problem. Also, for some odd reason the coordinates of the grid didn't read as I moved around wih the arrow keys (not sure why), I tried pressing A, and the game told me the grid announcements was either on or off but this made no difference.

For audio I do stil wonder if some more battle review commands are needed, eg, knowing what towers did what to what monsters (perhaps the route curser to lead monster option I mentioned earlier, or just a more complex review mode).

For instance this would've removed a rather odd issconception of mine. I thought (goodness knows why), that frost towers could only slow down monsters while the monsters were within their range, and after passing outside their range the monsters would return to normal speed.

Thus, i was placing frost towers near to cannon towers in order to have monsters in range of the cannons for as much time as possible. But now, I know to place frost towers urther down the path so that monsters get slowed by them initially and all towers I place further on will gain the bennifit.

Oh, and I deffinately think the game should now have the ultra powerful spam tower, which coats monsters with so much fowl smelling chopped ham and pork products that they turn around and run off the path in the other direction like wimpy little cowards ;D.

Just to put on my audiogames.net admin hat again, The game will be getting an entry on the database as soon as I can get off my lazy behind to make one.

Given this it needs first, an actual name for the game. Second, you'll need a name for the developer, I could stick you in as Aprone, but if you'd like to either use your actual name, or some more jazzy sounding developement type name, eg, something or other:
games/software/company/programming/inc/entertainment/interactive, just let me know. There's no set rule about this as to whether the games are free or not, Jim kitchin for instance is listed as Kitchins inc despite producing free games just because it sounds good.

Then, i assume sinse your having an online score list, your also planning a webpage for the game? This would be cool as well.

Accept for the name of the game though, everything else can be pretty much added in later, so if you don't come up with a company name or write a webpage immediately, don't panic.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-08 16:31:29

This game sounds fantastic. Will give it a try sometime this week. I'm hoping it will work on my windows 7 machine. It looks like there's been some progress on that one according to the thread, so here's hoping. Kudos to you on the supersonic development, too.

People are always yelling at me for having my head in the clouds, but it's cool and peaceful up there, and there are always interesting shapes to see.

2010-11-08 16:36:53 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-08 16:44:21)

Bogdan, it sounds you have the same problem Niklas and Aminiel were having.  Windows 7 doesn't naturally ship with Direct X 7 and that is what my game uses for sound.  I don't know if they fixed the problem... have we heard back from them?  Sorry I can't remember if either of them said it was working now.  Anyways, the suggestion to them was to try using Jim kitchin's winkit file from www.kitchensinc.net .  It installs various Visual basic files that don't ship with Windows 7 but are required by some games.  I plan to make one of these myself, but in the mean time there's no reason not to benefit from the one Jim Kitchin already made!  big_smile

Hey Niklas and Aminiel, did Jim's winkit fix the game for you guys?  Actually it would be cool to get confirmation from either Aminiel or Balliol since they have multiple operating systems to test on.  *Hintidy hint hint*  smile

Welcome back Dark.
Yep I think those bugs you've mentioned have been fixed since the Saturday version.  Sheesh you were using a version like 10 updates old haha!  big_smile  Originally the frost tower did only affect units in its range, but I found it was far too difficult to use.  I tried to balance it to be useful but once I had enough I just made the crippling effect permanent and instantly found the tower worth buying in the game.  Sorry about that confusion though.

Spam tower eh?  Rofl

I'm still trying to find a good name that hasn't already been used by some other game, book, or movie lol.  It isn't easy!  Could I cheat and have both in under developer?  Something like Aprone (Jeremy Kaldobsky)?  If not I'll just go with my real name.  big_smile  Having a website for the game is probably a very good idea.  At the very least it'll be a good spot to post what the object of the game is, what each tower does, statistics on the towers, and some strategies.  I'm pretty sure I do NOT want to set up a message board for the game though!  It is easy enough to do, so that is not the issue, rather the problem is that I want to keep people chatting here (audiogames.net) instead.  While sometimes it is good, too often people develop games and excitedly set up a new place to talk about their game.  This requires people to spend time in 2 different places, which ultimately leads them to spend more time in one and less in the other as time goes on.  We've all been there... you get pulled among several online communities and eventually you stop visiting some.  I really don't want to contribute to that if I don't have to.  smile

I want to congratulate Karl who has beaten the game on easy (I think), and almost completely DOMINATED the top 10 high score list lol!  You guys need to push him out of there so he has some competition!  big_smile

Now seems like a good time to talk about the progression of the game and points, since the top score list is up.

When you first begin playing, you are in a battle against the computer.  The computer knows what to do to defeat YOU, but you are still trying to figure out what the heck is going on.  For some time this will be a struggle understanding how the game works, the layout of the path, where to put towers, and which upgrades you should get.  Sooner or later though, you will gradually become comfortable within the game.  You will know exactly how the computer is going to behave when that next round starts, you know your options with the different tower types, and it doesn't take you 2 minutes randomly pressing keys in order to find the option you wanted... but you still can't beat the game.  Playing is no longer a struggle against the computer, it is a struggle against yourself and your strategies.

Once the struggle has shifted to yourself and your strategies, reaching new levels becomes your goal.  You will die on level 9... again... and you'll ponder your layout, and you'll brainstorm some new way, and you'll tweak your plan until you beat that stupid wave of Ogres and move on to level 10!  This back and forth battle will continue, and your strategy will evolve and define itself as you reach the end of the game.  The first time you beat the game you'll be excited and think you've ended your struggle against yourself, but you haven't.  You haven't defeated yourself yet because it is going to start nagging you... what will nag you?... questions.  You'll start asking yourself questions, "Could I still win if I didn't use those frost towers?", "Was it a good idea to upgrade the sniper as early as I did?".  These questions will inevitably lead you to start over again to develop more and more strategies that can beat the game.  Once you've answered the questions that were nagging you, you've finally ended the struggle against yourself and your strategy.

While conquering the opponent of your last battle, you were actually setting the stage for your final battle... the battle against your community!  At each victory in the game you heard the voice submitting your score to the community's top 10 high score list, and each time it didn't say "First" it was another invitation to this last battle.  You understand this game, you are sitting on multiple strategies that can slaughter the 20 levels, and yet... there is someone clearly better than you.  Not ONLY are they better, but a list makes sure everyone knows it!  smile  Now is the time to focus your strategies on points, maximizing them as much as possible so you can claim your rightful place on top of that list!  This is a battle that will rage on for as long as others are willing to do battle.  The fight for the top brings friendly competition to the community and strongly promotes the sharing of strategies and tips.

An experienced warrior may do battle on multiple fronts, and so will you.  The battle against your community may never end, but you are free to strike up a new battle against yourself and your strategies on each additional difficulty level and map!  Enjoy!  big_smile

lol, I got carried away and wrote a lot.  tongue

I don't suggest you worry too much about your score until you've gotten in to that third stage of battle.  Even if you masterfully gain points and die at level 12, you probably won't beat the guy who ignored points and survived until level 16.  Focus on strategy before fine tuning it for max points.  smile

- For each monster that you kill, you will gain points.  (The farther a monster walks, the less points it is worth)
- Completing a level earns you points (100 for easy, 200 for normal, and 300 for hard)
- For each level, you actually lose a small number of points for every tower that you have.  (This rewards people who use less to accomplish more)
- You gain the same number of points as the amount of gold interest you earned.  (Saving money is always rewarded)
- Beating the last level (level 20) grants you an extra 1000 points because you didn't die.  (When's the last time someone handed you a reward because you weren't dead? lol)

There's your guide to a higher score, good luck and I'll see you guys on the top 10 list.

P.S. How does "Invaders on the Path" sound as a title?  I've been trying name after name but always find some game/book/movie that's using it already.  This one isn't used yet.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-08 16:52:59

Yep, I can put you in as Jeremy Kaldobsky (Aprone), or similar, assuming you don't fancy something with a bit more swing.

As far as names go, well if the game, film or whatever is obscure enough it probably doesn't matter too much.

Key is full's game battlezone for instance actually has the same name as two games I know of, but stil it's a cool name and nobody minds (and I only know the other names because I'm a very sad trivia buff with a memory like an elephant).
So, don't worry too much as long as the thing it's named after is something relatively obscure.

myself, I stil rather favour towers of war, but then again I'm not the one putting in all this long and tortuous time coding the game.

One thing I do like about the developement plan for tower defense is that it'll sute different tempraments of player.

personally, I'm not really one for competing for high scores much. I do however really like a variety of different in game challenges to explore and learn all the ins and outs of, thus having different maps will sute me very well indeed, ---- as will different modes should you desire to put them in eventually.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-08 17:04:11

Yeah when I first saw KeyisFull's Battlezone thread I thought it was for an accessible version of either the old 3D Battlezone stragety game or the really really old Battlezone game from the pac man era.

I suppose you're right that no one is likely to care if I use their name... and honestly I think "towers of war" is better than "Invaders on the path" lol!  Lets make it official, this game is now called "Aprone's Towers of War".  I have a habit of sticking my name at the beginning of stuff, and this will slightly change the name away from the stuff already using that name.

I believe my next major addition will be more levels, and then different game modes.  I've planned to have them and each will dramatically increase the content of the game.  Mastering one level will be different than mastering another, so it gives people a lot more to do.  The same will hold true for the game modes.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-08 17:10:57

Hey aprone,
I downloaded and installed the winkit program, copied and pasted the tower defence stuff into the right folder and tried to run it with the kitchensinc program with the same error appearing. Perhaps one of the other developers can give you some tips on how to make a quick installer for your game? I know some like to use visual basic, but I’m not sure if they use the same version. Also for an ending sequence, it would be cool to have a massive army from your kingdom come along and completely slotter the attacking force that you successfully held off with your towers all that time. It would be immensely satisfying, don’t you think? Can't wait to give the game a try, it's really nice to see some new innovation going on.

2010-11-08 17:21:01 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-08 17:22:09)

Hey niall, I have another thing to try.  Right click on the executable (towerdefense.exe) and choose "Run as", and then choose "Administrator".  I was talking with someone and they said that usually works on windows 7 since the operating system should register any unregistered drivers automatically when you execute specifically as an admin.  Worth a shot I suppose.  He said that after that's done, it should be fixed and you shouldn't have to run it as administrator any more.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-08 17:48:03

Nial, you don't actually need to do anything with the winkit file other than download it and install it.

Winkit itself has nothing to do with running tower defense (or towers of war as I suppose it is now), it's actually a program for running jim kitchins'games and nobody elses.

It just so happens though that it also automatically downloads and installs various dependencies which tower defense (and some other games), need to run.

Heck, you can install winkit then completely uninstall it if you wish (though some of Jim's games are rather fun), just as long as you went through the install process then you should have what is needed to run tower defense and can download and unzip it as normal.

I hope that's clear, indeed that might be why you were getting errors, trying to run one program with another one.

I'll admit I'm rather looking forward to those other game modes, though mastering  the first one is certainly a challenge.

I don't know what I ever did to irritate the Giant bugs, but it seems that every level I ever die on contains them ;D.

I made it past the hoard on level 5, only to get slaughtered by the ones on level  eleven, ---- verry irritating sinse up until that point I'd got 19 lives left ;D.

I have to say though, watching those Golems  storm up the path was quite nerve wracking indeed, ---- though fortunately I had enough firepower to  dispose of them.

The various bugs also seem to be well and truly gone, ---- accept for the  annoying giant  variety though ;D. I also noticed the sapi on the name entry box, ---- that worked fine. Score lists are another handy use for Sapi.

2010-11-08 18:02:57

Once we have someone 100% confirm that one of these methods fixes all errors on windows 7 (and vista) I'll breath a sigh of relief.

Dark, did you mean level 9?  If the bugs are giving you trouble I'd imagine the Imps and Dragons will too, once you get to them.  Imps are a little slower than the bugs, Dragons are a little faster, but all are quite quick compared to things like beasts and ogres.  Since enemy speed is clearly your weak spot, I'd normally suggest frost towers but they won't help against the overwhelming number of bugs.  Hmmm, what types of towers are you mostly using?

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-08 18:17:06

unfortunately neither running the game outside of kitchens inc nore running it as administrator seemed to make any difference. The exact wording of the problem is runtime error 429 active x component can't create object.