2018-06-01 10:59:34

I might be getting that ranche confused with another bit of the venture way quests, I do remember something with a lot of skinning involved,  that might have been the medieval quest.

I actually ought to give 4d another go. I was a bit irritated my char got purged, though as I hadn't played for a year I can't blaime them, but still hopefully there's a bit more direction post the newbie zones these days.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-01 14:40:51

hey, asking for help in one of the challenges in one of the schools. You enter a prison room and there is a bunch of straw in one corner and a bucket of crap somewhere else, and I can't figure out how to find the key there.

2018-06-01 16:12:43

sorry for the double post but what's the best way to get this hooked up to VIP mud, I had all the numbers and stuff right but when I tried to connect it errored out and disconnected instantly.

2018-06-01 23:02:05

Hi.

You need the correct capitalisation it's 4Dimensions.org port 6000, otherwise it won't connect.

I think I'll try recreating my character and see how things go, in particular if people can point me to other quests, and hay maybe the new quest journal will help there?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-01 23:16:25

actually got it up and running also fixed the other problem I was having today. Thanks.

2018-06-01 23:29:04

Okay this is craaaaazy!

since I couldn't login as my character, I decided to restart, so have created a new character with the same name as my old one, namely dark, (yeah inventive I know).

That is fine, accept that I'm now carrying several things that I previously had on my old character, even though I've apparently been returned to level one and lost all my xp.
This is nuts!

I think probably what's best to do is delete the character completely and start again.

2018-06-02 00:01:05

Dark, what race and class are you going for?

I created a space-wolf fighter. I hate how incredibly low his accuracy is, but it has gone up significantly since he got going. Just got through the robber baron portion of the newbie school, and then got tired of playing for now and will play again later.

2018-06-02 04:17:42

slight
spoilers

If you're in that jail cell, you literally just search. You'll eventually find something that will help. It may take several tries.

end
spoilers

Dark, a few suggestions:

Ali Baba's Cave
Royal Forest (also an insanely good place for skinning if you kill all the sheep)
Robber Baron's Castle (this one is a little trickier, but quite doable if you're careful)
Victorian England (again, doable if you're careful, and not very much aggro)

Actually, Victorian England is probably my favourite area in the mud. Once it gets going, it's a really interesting storyline, and there are tons of things you can do in that place, everything from side-quests to the main storyline. Some nice gear too. One of the pieces is a deerstalker cap which will help you a lot while questing (I won't say precisely how).
Just one tip.
slight
spoilers
You will be told to start with the urchins, or some such, when you get the quest rolling. Just don't do it. I wasted literally hours on this part of the quest and there's nothing there.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-06-02 12:43:03

@Bookrage my former character was a martian ranger, I was trying as a martian espa as I fancied a spellcaster class but as I said how its working out is a little whacky, I'm going to have to sort that.

@Jayde,  on my old character I did alibaba's cave, though I believe I got stuck somewhere with a guess the syntax. I did most of the royal forest, indeed it was that that made me run into the miner problem that for skins you need a bundle, and bundles are only available in the old west.
The only part of that quest I couldn't quite get working was the part where you needed to trap an animal.

As I said though, I wonder if the quest journal will help with some of these? especially tracking what your next target in any given quest was.
Mostly I was trying to get crafting activities started, but some worked better than others, for example your told you can help with the grape harvest in future zone, and yet while there were lots of grapes there was no way to harvest them, and any attempt to deal with the npcs basically got you into fights.

Either way if I can sort out the old vs new character issue I might give things another try.

2018-06-02 15:53:49

anyone tried planet jakar the newest Star Wars world? or the second most recent zone? Victorian London 2 which seems darker and has more of a horror element to it?

I want to know what those places are like.

2018-06-03 01:37:23

Victorian England 2 is much harder than the first, and I believe there's some combat. That's all I know about it.

Regarding skinning, Dark, you're at least partially wrong on that.
slight
spoilers
Get a skinning knife, set autosac to off. Kill a creature with a skin (cows in Old West are good, as are the sheep in royal forest), and when the animal is dead, wield the skinning knife and type "skin corpse". Once you have the skin, you can scrape the skin and you'll have something you can sell. There's a leatherworker in the main medieval city who will buy skins from you at two tradepoints apiece. Given that you can sometimes kill up to 20-30 animals, you don't need any bundling or any such thing. Just sell the skins one at a time, then convert tradepoints to experience. It's really quite fast.
spoilers
end

2018-06-03 01:39:39

I ran ali baba's cave and completed almost all of the quests there actually, except one I have no clue where or how.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-06-03 18:11:52

@mata which quest are you stuck on? I admit there was one thing in that area which was a little obscure.

Well I tried giving the game a go, but it seems even when I donated my character's eqipment, the reset wasn't complete since all the mud school missions were already listed as done. strange, strange game.

I'll try actually deleting my char and then recreating and see how that goes.

Edit: Okay, deleted and recreated. You can find me as an espa called dDark, hopefully there are some fun quests to find once I've finished newbie school.

Really this game has great potential, I just wish things weren't quite as obscure.

2018-06-03 20:55:33

is there a soundpack for this thing, i'd like to try it out, but it's not as good without at least a bit of a soundpack

For me, the new coding age begins!

2018-06-03 21:30:25

so dark, recreated my character like you did, and that is fine, but I have my same stats as I used to have, but lost all my tokens and gold. that is fine as well, accept that I am level 1 with no skills and I presume my school tasks are done as well. Also, I mucked something up and chose rogue instead of ranger.

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2018-06-03 21:51:14

@Brad what I ended up doing was  to actually delete my character, that reset everything including school quest complete flags etc so when I recreated I can still go from scratch.

doing future zone of the mud school right now. Hopefully I can finish my first remort and get everything so i can move on to more quests.

Btw, I like the customizable prompt. I've got my main prompt now set to show hp, mana and movement as percentages on separate lines, while my battle prompt shows foe's hp percentage then my hp and mana.
I should probably update the db entry to  that 4d has full prompt customization.

2018-06-04 11:10:19

doesn't that get spammy? also, how did you make your prompt do that? and as for starting again, I am fine with this. just skinning sheep and farming for tradepoints and using them to convert to xp to level. am currently level 37 and I had every task complete accept for something in the future dimension, I think it was the android flag? not sure, should go through that and try and get it.

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2018-06-04 11:26:47

@brad, setting up a prompt looks a little complicated but is easy when you get the knack, its something I did in aardwolf and am a fan of  most muds.
Type help prompt for the info.

#Basically you just type "prompt" and then some letter codes depending upon what you want it to say (don't forget to include the percent signs and other punctuation).
So for example, to get my prompt showing percentages of hp, mana and movement I did prompt %x:%y:%z"

The percent x is code for hp as a percentage, (if I wanted the hp value I'd use percent sign and a lower case h), while the colonputs each value on a new line.

I did the same thing for battle prompt using the "bprompt" command (that is prompt with a b).

I personally like values as percentages, since with using realspeak daniel its quicker to here "ninety six, fifty five thirty two" than to get as hole numbers, especially when those hole numbers are in three digits or aren't punctuated in a screen reader friendly way.

Of course, there is a limit to how many percentages are possible to hear and take note of, usually three is the max I can handle, hence why I have my default prompt showing hp, mana and movement (although I might remove movement from the prompt since its probably less critical to be aware of).

Your mileage may vary depending upon what screen reader your using and also what info you think is important to keep track of, still that's why its customizable.

I've now finished all the tasks in mudschool and the prehistoric arena zone, I'll go on to the other three zones next.

I actually find espa a rather more fun class than ranger was, mostly I think because I like the way orbs and spells work in the game, though how well that will translate into different zones we'll have to see, though I would like to finish all the newbie school stuff which should take me to my first remort, or at least it did last time around.

2018-06-04 15:03:51

Really really quick note, Dark. It's Esper (e-s-p-e-r). And for whatever reason, I'm partial to hunter. Some very nice melee damage early on, and it's often best to finish with a melee class (that is, do hunter/warrior/ranger/thief in some order first, then gypsy, then priest/esper/whatever else is left in some order). Most of the high remorts I saw were magic classes, and they did insane amounts of damage.

And yes, doing every single task in the 4d mud school should get you to your first remort. And if it doesn't, it will anyway, since you're supposed to get a reward for doing everything, and normally that reward is to be boosted to level 50...except if you grind even a little, or do every single task properly, you'll be there, or very nearly there, anyway. I usually blast through r1 in the mud school, then r2-3 skinning. By then I have a lot more skills and stuff available so I grind by fighting some. I recommend doing Victorian England, if you're gonna try, at maybe level 30-40 in r2 or higher; you don't absolutely have to do this, but it'll make it easier. There's one entirely optional fight related to Victorian England that's actually quite nasty.

2018-06-04 23:33:26

I'll see Jayde. Actually I wish there was a little more direction in the game after mudschool, though I might go and try some professions since I always did enjoy the crafting, trading etc.

I've now finished all parts of the newbie zones accept the robber baron's castle and the final prehistoric zone with the lost child.

Btw Brad, if your still looking for the Android zone newbie flag as a hint you don't need to do anything special to get it, but it is in something of an out of the way corner.

2018-06-04 23:41:08

I think on purpose the game is not meant to have a lot of direction. The premise is that you're some weird tourist going on a weird tourist trip through time and space. There really isn't an overarching story. I actually want to spend a lot of my playthrough in the old west if I can, because that zone sounds fun. but I could see some players being more interested in the Star Wars themed zones in the future, I think London sounds really fun, and I'd like to visit the cities of Greece area too.

2018-06-04 23:54:16

Victorian England is actually written quite well for the most part, and I'm personally not as much a fan of the future zones, personally. There's also a Sword of Truth themed area called the Midlands in the medieval area, but it's mean. Don't go there till you know the game pretty well.

2018-06-05 03:13:16

the one problem I have with the future zones is more than anywhere else in the game they are kind of all over the place. What I mean by that is that there are some running themes and such in most of the other worlds that give them some grounding, still silly from what I know (though most of this comes from second-hand reports as I've played little.) but you can go to the old west or the attached Victorian England zones and kind of know what you're getting into. When the Future contains FF7 worlds, star wars, Jurasic Park, Red Brick Abbey (a kids' book series with anthropomorphic animals.) and all sorts of other stuff, there's not really as much holding it together.

And anyway, the past stuff interests me more, but I intend to wander around the future too.

2018-06-05 13:44:41

The thing that interested me in the game were the different mechanics and changes in different zones. for example, the space flight and trading in the future, the gardening mechanics in the medeival zone etc.

The problem I tended to find is even for basic activities, the help files could be off, for example it says in the help file on fruit picking you can participate in the grape harvest on a future planet, but when i went there the vines were none reactive objects and the npcs ignored me, also when I asked another player they weren't exactly helpful.

Why have files on crafting activities and then not let you do them?

For the story, I'm content enough to walk into a zone and play around to see what I can find, but if anything interactive other than basic slayage is based on too specific information, I'll probably end up losing interest, as there are games that do hack n slash far better than 4D, and if your going to make all aspects of your game that aren't hack n slash opaque to the point of obscurity I'll probably go somewhere else.

That being said, when the crafting and quests work they can be really fun to do. I really enjoyed the way gardening works for instance, so we'll see what happens when I've finished newbie school and where I might be able to go and what I can try out.

2018-06-07 18:43:13

Wooo! well that's all the newbie stuff done with all flags etc.
I've now got to wait until there's a helper online for my rewards, but its still rather cool imho.
I do enjoy the quests in this mud when they work.