2016-11-15 23:21:12

Yo folks! Thanks for the update Daigonite.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-01-17 15:44:24 (edited by daigonite 2017-01-17 15:47:34)

New update everyone:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BygzF … zRlQjNnWmM

Reminder: You must go to the config.ini file to change access to 1. I am working on an application that sets this for you but it's not done yet.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2017-01-17 16:53:02 (edited by JasonBlaze 2017-01-17 17:03:46)

wow the wall tone? , nice one
to be honest, it kindda hurt my ear, but it's ok
is there any options to turn it off?
something els new?
keep it up keep it up!

2017-01-17 17:14:48 (edited by daigonite 2017-01-17 17:21:03)

Not yet, I can change it later though. It only plays if you've very close to a wall.

Oh and there's a minor bug, it doesn't apply to you guys since its visual but I noticed there's a bug on the options menu... forgot to fix that derp. I'll add an option to disable the wall sound in the option menu. I'll also find a better sound effect.

There is also the ability to place down audio bookmarks while on the overworld for navigation purposes. To place a bookmark I believe it's shift, and press ctrl to clear all your current bookmarks.

Certain items you can push. You can push a chair in the first map (although it doesn't have a label yet), and you can push the statue on the map with Mike's house (this has a label, when you approach it it describes the statue. You can push it to the right, and underneath the statue is an item).

For the bird watching the birds only make noises when they fly away right now; I want to have them have the actual bird calls, or at least reproductions of them, so that you can identify a bird from its sound. When you're close to a bird, if you have the bird guide in your inventory, simply use it to record a new bird.

You can also use an item that you set in the item menu in the overworld using backspace; if it has an overworld effect it will trigger when you press it.

Oh and one last thing - aura color of the party is much more intuitive this time. The first character uses their Red value as the aura's red value, the second is with green and the third is with blue.

2017-01-21 16:13:40

There's a bug that makes it impossible to add more than 1 of an item to your inventory; I've already fixed it but I'm making sure I have a stable release before I update the link. Also, please make sure you use a new save file or else you'll have issues.

2017-01-22 06:07:00

Hello folks. Wow Daigonite, please keep up the good work.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-04-13 22:19:08 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-13 22:20:33)

Long time no update: Have fun my friends.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BygzF … zEyME1RQW8

Please let me know if you have any issues with downloading the link.

By the way, the game is now on Game Jolt Here: https://gamejolt.com/games/ColorsChromatics/248621 I don't know how accessible game jolt is, but it will have the most recent updates n the game. Sorry for not updating sooner, managing all these social media outlets is not easy nor particularly engaging. haha.

Also, I have a twitter for the game as well, which is updated daily. Not every tweet has accessible content, since I am making the game both for conventional and blind audiences, so please take note of this - the releases will still be blind accessible.

https://twitter.com/colorchromatics

2017-04-13 22:48:06

Gamejolt worked just fine for me. Glad to see this is still being continued.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2017-04-13 23:11:10

hi
it is great know that you is working in this game.
thanks you very much!
regards.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2017-04-14 00:11:05 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-14 00:11:46)

I apologize for the inactivity here; a major goal is to have this be a hybrid audio game-indie game and I've spent a lot of time either working on the game or trying to build momentum with the indie crowd. I want to make this very clear - I want to finish this game because it not only means a lot to me in terms of storytelling but I genuinely believe it could be the break I need in my accessibility career.

I still have quite a ways to go in terms of PR but the indie side be a major source of funding and attention for the game. My goal is to try to use this game as a proof of concept that there is simply no excuse to the extremely limited accessibility on the market, and to hopefully produce a more generalized tool that developers can use to implement some level of accessibility into their own titles.

2017-04-15 17:17:09

Hello. I've found an error. I have put it between headings for everyone's convenience.

Error Begin

of Other Event: User Defined 4
for object overworld_party_main:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Index [0,-2] out of range [1,3] - 265.<unknown variable>(100030,-2)
at gml_Object_overworld_party_main_Other_14
############################################################################################

Error End

This error appeared when I was in the tutorial section. I was in the party  screen, and I had pressed the x button.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-04-16 15:37:29 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-16 15:38:19)

Hello,

There are some bugs regarding the extra keys and the party menu in that version, I will hopefully be updating it soon to fix these. I've patched a good amount of them already but I'll be double checking to make sure I didn't miss anything. You don't need to interact with the menu in order to continue with the tutorial, you can simply select "next" to move on to the next part. While slower, you can still pass through the stats of a character by using the arrow keys.

2017-04-16 19:48:13 (edited by Jaseoffire 2017-04-16 19:51:44)

Hello. I also noticed some issues with bookmarks being temprimental to place. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. Walking also seems to work weirdly. Pressing the arrow keys seems to walk you a lot quicker than the sounds are letting on. It just seems unprecise.  Other than those few criticisms, I'm enjoying the concept so far. I look forward to continuing this game.

I have a website now.

2017-04-17 16:54:57

Thanks (I have been desperate for some feedback on this game, seriously).

The footsteps aren't coordinated yet. In fact they haven't been changed since they were implemented. This is because I'm not really content with the movement model, and I've already changed it again in this current release I'm working on (which should be out by the end of the week). It will eventually correlate with the walking animation/speed once those details are more finalized.

I'll have to look more into the bookmarks not working though. What exactly isn't working about them, do they go silent sometimes randomly, or do they play the wrong sound, in the wrong place ect.

As you might suspect, developing a hybrid game has a lot of interesting challenges and most development is on the sighted side of the game, optimization and other similar features. The accessibility element is essentially an overlay, so that essentially, it's a sighted game that has blind accessibility, unlike something like Braillemon which was solely developed for the blind.

2017-04-17 21:26:14 (edited by Jaseoffire 2017-04-17 21:30:03)

Yeah, I'm very interested in the goals, aims, and results of this project. It has been a goal of mine to develop such games and create a stable integration of the visually impaired community with mainstream games. Needless to say, I am very interested to see how this project works out. As for the issue regarding bookmarks, on some odd occasions they just seem to not want to place, or maybe they place, and are just silent. What ever the case, I do wonder if it's an issue on my end or the game, as the results do not seem to be consistent. Sometimes the bookmarks place, and sometimes they do not. I found this odd bug on the tutorial when they are first introduced. It works in the main game, though. I'm not sure. Oh. I don't know if you had addressed this, but the computer in Mark's house crashes the game with an error when you interact with it. I'm sorry I don't have the error, but I could get it if you need it.

I have a website now.

2017-04-17 22:00:09 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-17 22:00:28)

The long term goal is to try to make something that is well enjoyed by the indie crowd, specifically fans of games like Undertale, as well as serving as a proof of concept for an accessibility layer in games. If I'm able to take off I want to make this a launch pad for much greater accessibility advances, especially in gaming.

Yep, Mark's computer is bugged in this release, and it won't be accessible in the next one either; it's a command prompt that allows you to view and create text files basically, so you're not missing out on too much. This should be the only part of the game that's not accessible at this time though.

Hmm, strange, I do know that if you are close enough to a nearby bookmark that it will delete the bookmark rather than place it, so maybe I should change the key bindings. It should not be deleting bookmarks if you can't hear any.

2017-04-17 23:27:51

do you have a way for the game to check for updates?  Trying it out now.

2017-04-18 01:12:29

The game doesn't have its own updater since it will be distributed through channels that update automatically, although I might consider it if those channels have accessibility concerns. Currently the game is just on Gamejolt

2017-04-18 02:38:07

Actually, that reminds me. When Norton starts its complaining, it thinks the game is trying to have access to the internet, or something. Basically, it will throw the usual don't run this program, but it will also throw a firewall complaint which I've only experienced with games that connect to the internet on the outset. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I have a website now.

2017-04-19 03:51:37

good job.

2017-04-19 04:39:30

1. What is this?
2. Can I have a link to a latest version?
3. What do I need to make this accessible.

2017-04-19 14:51:25

Regarding the norton thing, I have no idea why it does that to be brutally honest, I've noticed it on my work computer as well; there is nothing that opens up any internet ports or anything to my knowledge, but I may have implemented something early on that attempts to utilize http gets or something for some sort of easter egg.

1. It's a JRPG style game that is a hybrid audio-indie game that attempts to break into the indie game market, as a proof of concept of accessibility in main stream games. It also has a compelling story and strategic turn-based battles.

2. link is in my signature. (https://gamejolt.com/games/ColorsChromatics/248621)

3. Silly me, I forgot to include the instructions for accessible mode on the page.

Simply go into the config.ini file and change "access" from 0 to 1. Then it should be in accessible mode.

2017-04-19 15:50:57

Maybe it's just me but the wall tones confuse me. When I go left or right to a wall I hear no tone except for the one that eventually leads to the wall going up. Also I can't tell if there's a turnoff or not.

2017-04-19 16:38:44 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-19 17:04:52)

By turnoff do you mean a section that you can turn and find a new place to go? Usually if you are able to hear the wall sounds a turn off is indicated by hearing no sound after hearing a persistent wall sound. Of course it sounds like you're having trouble with the wall sounds in the first place.

In order to navigate, you basically traverse walls, and place bookmarks in open areas. It might be a bit buggy though so please report any unusual behaviour associated with it.

That's weird since I've never had any problems with the left or right tone playing. You have to be very close to a wall in order to hear it though. Diagonal collisions are represented by using both an up/down and left/right sound at the same time.

Do note that the wall sound does not rotate along with your character, its based on your position, not your orientation. This is intended to allow for a grid-like based navigation.

I appreciate the feedback, since it's basically been vacant for most of the development of this project.

2017-04-19 22:21:57

The wall sound doesn't change at all for me when I follow the wall. The only difference is it gets louder when I hit all the way up or down. As to markers, they don't work at all for me for some reason. Not sure why.