2016-05-06 03:04:14 (edited by daigonite 2016-05-06 03:49:43)

sneak wrote:

I got the following error after launching,
of Create Event
for object init:

Error defining an external function.
at gml_Script_tts_init
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_tts_init (line 0)
gml_Object_init_Create_0

If this error comes up (notice how it says "error defining an external function") it means the tts dll can't initialize. I'm going to make sure I have the rest of the DLLs tonight in the zip.

EDIT: I've updated the download link, the DLLs have been updated and quite a few bugs/crashes have been addressed. Also, the name system in accessible mode is much more intuitive for the blind.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2016-05-06 05:15:12

Thanks rachel for the new update, I'll try it in the next day tongue. I gona support you in your quickstarter tongue

2016-05-06 07:15:35

@daigonite. So this means you still haven't figured out what is causing the TTS crash thing yet then? I've grabbed the updated link and am still having the same problem. Not trying to sound bitchy either, just slightly confused. haha tongue

2016-05-06 10:04:41

Hmm, I think something's going wrong with your upload or something Rachel. It's still giving me the same error. You said the DLLs are in the folder, but they're not currently. Perhaps you're telling it in the code to look for the wrong DLL?
When I put in the correct DLL in the folder, it gives me the same code error about the external function.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2016-05-06 14:12:37

I think game maker might be forgetting to put the files in the zip when it compiles...

Oh brother...

2016-05-06 15:28:52

LOL!!!
Well hopefully that's an easy fix.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2016-05-06 16:02:40

Yeah, link has been updated but I'm going to see why it's being such a butt lol

2016-05-06 17:26:58

Hey Rachel,
I have to say that what you're doing is very nice for gaming in general.
I mean, by creating a game both for sighted and blind players, and adapting mainstream games to the blind, you give a great idea of how gaming should be thought.
Not that purely audio games are bad, but I prefer when sighted and blind players can easily enjoy the same games. Though I understand that making an original and completely audio game is easier for blind developers.
What worries me though, is that some friends of mine told me that Steam wasn't very accessible for a blind player. Now I never came to use it, especially because games that I want to play are also on console and I don't have a very good PC controler.
So does anyone know how Steam is done and how much accessible it is?
Best regards.
Pulseman45

2016-05-06 19:08:32

I don't know much about Steam accessibility but I want to work with Steam to be able to distribute an accessible version of my game independently of Steam if at all possible. I've heard there are issues with it.

It is possible to just download the purchased games, and then play them directly from the desktop icons, but I'm not sure how steam might interact with accessibility mode, especially once we get NVDA support.

2016-05-06 19:55:17

Well if at least we can do that, it's already good i guess.

2016-05-06 22:08:30

Steam works with NVDA, just have to use screen review to navigate everything.
I know you said that you're still working on getting sounds in, but could we have a little something to let us know when we've encountered an interactable object? It took me a while to figure out that there were things to investigate.
I've only played a few minutes, going to hold off until tomorrow and do a video recording.

2016-05-06 22:13:06

Right. When I'm typing my name in the beginning, the X key still plays the sound that plays when you press it in the menu LOL.

2016-05-06 22:17:23

When you die it sounds like there's some text being written, but sapi didn't seem to catch it.

2016-05-07 00:06:32 (edited by daigonite 2016-05-07 02:38:39)

There is a bug where if your character is defeated outside of the main battle phase (for example, damage from the Spore status effect) there's a weird string that pops up that doesn't grab the proper text. I still haven't been able to track down what causes it exactly, so that might be related.

I have an idea for interactable objects - have it so that the "bonk" noise is different.

Edit: Link has been updated with this sound

2016-05-07 03:34:15

Nice. If you're using a different function to display the text on the screen than you use to have tts not read out loud.  read it out, it might be best to combined them so you don't have print shown and tts. One less thing to keep track of.

2016-05-07 03:52:44

For that object they use the same variables.

2016-05-07 04:13:23

Hello. I found a mistake when it comes to spelllings.

Environment is spelt wrong. If you press F1 when walking around, you'll see what I mean.

I'm gone for real :)

2016-05-07 15:41:56

Hay I found another bug.
I got Mike and walked out and back into his house to save.
Now when I load my game I can't move, and no menus come up, but I can still hold escape to exit.
The game music plays and everything, but I can't do anything.
Later!

2016-05-07 23:08:05 (edited by daigonite 2016-05-07 23:21:37)

Oh, crap, sounds like your position got moved incorrectly...

I'll have to take a look.

2016-05-08 22:04:49

Hi daigonite, just a small suggestion, but could you put the download link in your signature for ease of access? Thankies! Haven't had time to test this out properly until now. Trying to get OBS to work properly so I can record it. Anyway, keep up the good work.

2016-05-08 22:52:53

would it be possible to make this game for the mac too?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2016-05-09 18:12:46

Sneak - Derp, that was silly of me. I added it to my signature.

Flame - In the future possibly but I dunno about accessibility, depends on if I'm able to build the right extension to work with Mac's TTS. I have no experience with working with Mac.

2016-05-10 16:07:43

Question: Has this project been shared to the mainstream gaming community? I don't have any great contacts like this, but I think it should be done in any way.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-05-15 07:22:33

Hi daigonite, any updates on the project?

2016-05-17 17:38:16 (edited by pulseman45 2016-05-17 17:49:52)

I personally think this game has good potential. The only think I currently don't like to much is the battle system. I have trouble understanding how the color system is used in battle, and I think we have to press the same button to much times to know what happened after we choose our actions.
I guess the solution is to compact the information into less button presses, or maybe to redesign the battle system so a character instantly acts when it's move is chosen, like games such as Entombed.
Then again it's a demo, many things can change. And I maintain that this game could be a serious step forward in the whole gaming history.