2015-07-15 21:39:24

@Firefly

Ah yes, that's a nice idea actually, through that you could sort out travelling back to a nearby town, maybe it takes 10 areas so in 10 areas you arrive back in the other town (good for trading)

Fight pits are going to be extended too, some may allow you to fight in them, some may not, some will be slave pits and some will in future have men fighting men, I am hoping to expand it in future with non-lethal fights between fighters like I did in warsim, in warsim you can find a place called a brawl pit (which you can own) inside two men will fight until one loses all health, if he goes too far into negative health (ie on 1hp gets punch for 20hp damage then they will die which is bad and costs the arena compensation money plus they are one less fighter)

@Spiraling Wyvern In a way I'm glad that big huge characters like that can be defeated past a certain level, though I plan to add more harsh things in the future to ensure it still stays challenging when you get really tough, and yes that scrap metal thing sounds a bit nuts, will have to check it out at some point

@Threeblacknoises way ahead of you, dark already mentioned the spacing earlier so I have fixed it, will be including in the update coming in a few hours when you select disable ascii

The thing sapping you xp was likely brain damage or one of the similar traits

Yes I was origionally going to try and write it gender neutral but I ended up doing it as 'he', In future I will either neutralize it or add gender definition

@dhruv it's coded in c++ through codeblocks, I do plan to make it opensource eventually just not yet

@aaron well I hope you enjoy it!

@Dark thanks for the support, If it wasn't for your outreach on reddit I wouldn't be adding the compatability that's going in tonight so thanks for that! I will also look into making the changes permanent so you don't have to keep resetting it in the options when you choose to disable ascii

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2015-07-15 22:27:13

Hay Wastelander, thanks for getting back so quickly!
I do; however; have a few more things you could add, but most likely not in this update.
1. an option like S to check stats would be vary helpfull.
Yes, I know the game does a pretty good job of showing those things, but if the S option showed your stats and said something like press any key to continue at the bottom, we could bring up our stats whenever we wanted to se them, and we wouldn't have to listen to them each and every time we take an action.
This screen could also give details on mutations, all your current stats, pirks and skills.

Regarding towns, they should be split in to several menus like
1. shops
2. Medical and Health
3. Dungions
4. Shacks
5. Other
This way, we can actually read all the options.
For example, I enter a town, and all I hear is
57. shack, 58. shack. and so on.

Yes, I did get brain rot from something my character drank.
status effects like this should go away at some point, or their should be some kind of paid service in a city that can remove it.
This way, you're not stuck at lv 7 forever.
I really liked my old character, but I had to kill him because I couldn't level him up at all except through instant level up.
Oh and, the new menu select sound doesn't play, it plays the lock picking sound instead.
Well, that's it for now...

Oh, yeah, just in case anyone wants to know

from the grave yard;
xxx travelled through 31 places in the wasteland, he died at level 8 and the last thing he saw was a Sandman in the region known as St Darkenmen Barrens

the far expanding wastes of St Darkenmen Barrens Where his journey ended.

-------------------------------SKILLS----------------------------------------
Health               - 110
Strength             - 35
Agility              - 16
Intelligence         - 6
Lockpick             - 17
-----------------------------OTHER STATS-------------------------------------
Times Mutated        - 13
Mutation Level       - 62
Money                - 80
Kills                - 93
Regions Cleared      - 0
Dungeons Cleared     - 6
Settlements Visited  - 2
----------------------------CURRENT WEAPON-----------------------------------
Weapon Name          - Glowing Notched Atomic Impure-Platinum Barbed Wire Baseball Bat
Weapon Damage        - 1511
Weapon Durability    - 1214
Weapon Value         - 7788
----------------------------NOTABLE KILLS------------------------------------
xxx Killed The Great John in St Darkenmen Barrens
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Rest In Peace xxx
(built in version 0.7.3)

And I really liked that bat and my try-pronged dragon tail mutation.
Also, are weapon stats pre-set?

2015-07-15 22:47:24

@Tbn, I noticed the gender issue as well in the graveyard files, thus far I've had a man named Jenny and a man named Sally, I'll have to play a boy named sue befor it ges fixed big_smile.
Actually just changing "he" to "they" would do, eg "the last thing they saw was" etc.

From what Huw has said on the reddit inventory fixes are coming, and I'm guessing that will necessitate a change in the way status is displayed, I definitely like the idea of perminant key bindings such as i for inventory r s for status.

However personally I like having at least some details such as hp, weapon and xp on the screen at all times sinse it lets me keep track of conditions, weapon durability, area status  etc without extra key presses, ---- well other than reading the top of the screen. I suspect if hp wasn't available I'd end up dead more often due to not realizing when to bug out big_smile.

That aspect actually reminds me very much of one of my all time  favourite console window games, Fallthru!

Perhaps having some options on what  is   displayed on screen to give people the choice would help here?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-15 23:19:28

Hay dark, I do agree with displaying your health and weapon during battle along with the enemy's health, but Not having to see all of my stats at other times would really help even during battles, because I could attack, then only hear what my attack does and how much damage I take without all the other info being read first.
I'm just trying to offer ways to make the game play better for all, so maybe options to adjust stat display along with key bindings for invintory and stats would help to.

2015-07-16 00:00:44

Hello,
I'm wondering where I can find a link to the war sim game as well.

2015-07-16 00:12:16

Hi Aron,
I think this link should be the one you looking for:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi … 2740653061
Maybe we could open another topic for this?

2015-07-16 02:53:41

Hay all, 0.7.5 is out!
and I also have a painless way to download the game.
1. Go to
https://www.reddit.com/r/thewastes
Once their, use your heading key until you hear "thewastes."
Find the link that says download latest build.
This will take you to mediafire.
Once their, used your heading key until you hear "Company."
Move up the page with your up arrow key until you find the download link.
Now, at this point, Do Not click it, but instead, use your applications key and select copy link location within firefox.
In internet explorer, click properties then go down to the bottom, select the address starting at the "http" par and remove the "|" at the end.
Then copy the text to your clipboard.
Once one of those is done, use alt home to get back to your home page.
Finally, go to the address bar with F4 and paste the link into it and press enter!
You've now bypassed mediafire's
adds and got your file.
Hope this helps.
Now, I'm going to try out the new build...
Later.

2015-07-16 07:51:28

@gene, whether you come back and read this post or not, I'll give it out anyway. This place is of course for everyone, but it is actually for everyone who have peaceful mind, at least peaceful enough to stay. If you want to leave, do it. No one prevents you. There're a lot more you have to face in the real world. If you think you can't bare something that is not even problem (but you think it really is), then go. And remember my word, selfish and frustrated person could never find the real world.
Sorry if I sound harsh. I just can't stand how this guy make up shit in our forum. Yeah, I say our forum, though I don't know even half of the community here. What is the meaning of friend in that post? Well, just whatever.

@wastelander
Keep up your awesome work man. You've done very well at this point. I'm supporting the shortcut to check status, inventory and so on, as people suggested. I do have another idea, which is not really about anything above. How many mutations are there? What do they do? I really hope there could be some guide about it. Everytime I mutate, I can just asume, since some mutations have no detailed information.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-07-16 09:35:07

@Gene, I suggest you reread the moderation warning, I thought I made it pretty clear that the issue was your tone, not that you found something frustrating or that you had problems, sinse you know, so has everyone else at one time or another! Things that don't work or you don't find easy to do and that bloody frustrate you are part of living with a visual imparement, get used to it!

If you cannot cope with something that is frustrating without lashing out at those around you in a bhuge negative spiral and reffusing to accept anyone's attempts to help, then you probably should leave sinse your inevitably going to step over the edge into the teretory of attacking others one of these days, and as I have said before any moderating I do is for the good of the community.

If you choose to go on believing I'm the bad guy and this is all personal, well it's up to you, one thing this topic has shown me is that you don't easily change your mind once it is made up.

Enough drama however, Now, back to  the wastes!

@Tbn, I'd personally prefer my hp and weapon stats shown utside of battle too, sinse that way I can make decisions on whether to go into a dungeon or see how badly a fall during mountain climbing has  affected me, then again sinse I'm reading with a virtual curser rather than just having the hole screen spoken, I only read the stats when I choose to read that portion of the screen. This is however why some sort of options toggle on what is displayed might be a good thing if it is possible, sinse that way everyone can have things the way they want.

@Aaron, I'd also recommend going to Thewaste's subreddit and looking at the link to warsim there sinse it leads to a youtube demonstration of the game that explains a few things. Warsim is rather more complicated to get into than the wastes, and I admit I've not done so yet completely myself , but access is already all there, no ascii and no off screen scrolling menus, so feel free to have a try.

I'll be trying the next version of Thewastes this afternoon, sinse if I try it this morning I'll not do anything else today big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-16 14:11:11

First off NEW VERSION 0.7.5 IS OUT! which includes hopefully full support for you guys, but will need feedback to refine and iron out any further issues!

@Dark "a boy named sue" had me on the floor... that's hilarious... will have to change the gender thing soon

we could in future have a choice of the way options were displayed but we will also find out which is easier for your screen readers and set that as default in the no ascii settings

@Aaron enjoy warsim! the options are numbers unless you have to enter a name or something in which case keep it to one word no spaces, it's a huge game with lots to do, you can lead your armies against the rebels, one of the two goblin kingdoms, the bandit kingdom or one of the five small bandit gangs, also occasionally a new gang will form and start burning your farms, also you can outlaw mercenaries and invade them.

you can also explore the world and discover fortresses and things which you can attack, and if you discover the portal to hell you can invade but be warned, tournaments are also great, if you have enough money start them!

hope you enjoy the game, once you get into it, It can be really fun!

@mata mutations are weird, there is supposed to be a guide for them but my wiki guy is lazy, so I will break them down here for you

Types of mutation

Negative - stuff that badly effects you
Positive - stuff with good effects
mega - something that boosts you hugely

Types of Vials
Green - 90% chance of negative 10% chance of positive
Yellow - 50% chance of negative 10% chance of positive
Red - 10% chance of negative 90% chance of positive
Purple - 100% chance of positive
Black - 100% chance of mega

you can get mutations a variety of ways, you can walk through acidic toxic puddles for a change to get a random mutation, you can find vials of agent-x randomly in the loot and you can find piles of them if you unlock the special room inside lab dungeons.

NEGATIVE MUTATIONS
- Dementia (sets a few skills to 0)
- Arm Tumor (halves your strength) (+2 mutant level)
- Leg Tumor (halves agility) (+2 mutant level)
- Rad Rash (-10 max hp) (+3 mutant level)
- Slight deformity  (+3 mutant level)
- Blood Paralysis (Chance to freeze during combat) (+1 mutant level)
- Confusion (agility and strength switch) (+1 mutant level)
- Brain Damage (halves intelligence and doubles xp requirement)(+1 mutant level)
- Severe Brain Damage (divides int by 3 and times xp req by 5)(+1 mutant level)
- Skullrot - (-50xp per turn)(+3 mutant level)
- Brainrot - (-10xp per turn) (+3 mutant level)
- Toxic Burn (-10maxhp)(+3 mutant level)
- Skinrot(-1maxhp per turn)(+3 mutant level)
- Searing Skinrot(-5 max hp- per turn)(+3 mutant level)

POSITIVE MUTATIONS
- braingrowth (+5 xp per turn)
- Lizard Tail (does three damage x player level) (+5 mutant level)
- Dragon Tail (does ten damage x player level)  (requires lizard tail)  (+5 mutant level)
- Tri Pronged Dragon Tail  (does 25 damage x player level)  (requires dragon tail) (+5 mutant level)
- Claws (increses melee damage) (+5 mutant level)
- Fangs (fang level * 10 dmg)(+4 mutant level)

MEGA MUTATIONS
- Bloatbrain(+50 xp per turn)(+10 mutant level)
- Braingrowth (+2 mutant level)
- Extra leg(agility doubles)(+30 mutant level)
- Super mutation (strength * 10) (+25 mutant level)
- Regenerative blood(heals you for half damage whenever you take it in combat)(+1 mutant level)
- Toughening(increases hp max by 1 each turn and is stackable ie you can get toughening twice for +2)(+1 mutant level)
- Unaturally skilled(+1 perk per level)(+1 mutant level)

MUTANT LEVEL
you are probably wondering what this is, basically every time you mutate you may look a bit different, there are people in the wastes who don't take kindly to mutants, at the moment the only reaction is from mutant hunters who once you are level five will hunt you down if you are mutated enough, they will hunt you even in no mans land so be careful.

In the future you might find traders who won't trade with mutants, towns who won't let you in or even shoot you on sight and factions who might even have an anti mutant agenda, you may find towns that let you in but don't treat you well and charge you lots, however with all this hate comes newfound brotherhood from fellow mutants, mutant run towns will be very friendly as will mutant factions and npcs (for the most part)

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0

2015-07-16 15:11:28

@wastelander, the modifications seem perfect thus far from where I'm standing, just what  was needed, thanks a lot.

On the options and display thing, I don't know if there is a "best" for screen readers in this respect, not with a turn based game. (realtime is another story). Generally it depends upon how people are using their screen reading programs and also what people's preferences are, as I said I personally like having info such s name, hp and at least weapon displayed as well as region info, but that's me.
Hopefully you can get the ini to save people's option preferences file setup first sinse having to reset the screen prompt eachgame would be a little urcsome if it wasn't to my taste.

Good to know about mutations, it also confirms what I suspected about yellow viles (the survival guide on the submreddit mentioned the green ones butnot the yelow).

It might be good though if there was a way to reverse mutations. In my last game I got skullrot, and pretty much committed suicide sinse it seeme I could no longer advance. One idea might be to have a surgion in the towns who can remove mutations, but not lower your mutation level, (I'm thinking of the drills and knives and bolt cutters type of surgion here).

Another might be to give negative mutations a positive spin if you can survive them for long enough. For example, enough turns surviving the skinrot conditions could result in hardened skin, making you tougher. Enough living with arm or leg tumas could give you gnarled arms and   that increase your attack power and strength, or  thickened legs that give you an increased travel speed, ie, your rate of exploration of the region is faster.
Enough time living with skullrot could give you brain adaptation,ieincreased intelligence and perk points per level.
the kick however is that you wouldn't know how long you would need to live with the negative mutation until you got the positive effect, so wouldn't know whether it was a good idea to go to the surgion and get your rotting skull bolted back together or get your tumers sawn off.

Oh, and just for amusement value, it turns out A boy named Sue is unlucky (there is a surprise), sinse not only did he have a father with an ironic sense of humour, but he also got skullrot!

sue travelled through 69 places in the wasteland, he died at level 5 and the last thing he saw was a Master Brock in the region known as Harkroad Commons

sue travelled through Fred's Craters into the expansive wastes of Oldfield Crater, from there he passed into the expansive wastes of Harkroad Commons Where his journey ended.

Health               - 120
Strength             - 9
Agility              - 8
Intelligence         - 12
Lockpick             - 8
Times Mutated        - 1
Mutation Level       - 3
Money                - 258
Kills                - 9
Regions Cleared      - 2
Dungeons Cleared     - 3
Settlements Visited  - 1
Weapon Name          - Modified Reinforced Pure-Aluminium Crowbar
Weapon Damage        - 35
Weapon Durability    - 45
Weapon Value         - 183
                       Rest In Peace sue
(built in version 0.7.5)

2015-07-16 15:49:49

Hi Wastelander:
Tahnks a lot for this absolutely needed little mutationmanual! It will become a special txt-file.
I had a nice run this morning. You will find it below.
First i have some sugestions:
In case of accessibillity, could you change the numerical order of what is presented on screen? On top you allways have the characterstatus wich is often readed by our screenreaders. Could you make it appear at the end of the screen and the mainhappenings on the beginning? So we would allways have the important things first.
Uuuuh, i hope you understood what i wanted to say.
OK, here comes another idea for the game it self. Have you thought about bringing in days and nights? Maybe every subarea takes one hour. and a level 1 area could change to a level 3 area at night. Or special things will only happen in daytime. Or it would be harder to climb over a mountain at night. So you would need a higher level.
Thanks again for all the fun i have had this morning! And here comes the true story of Taylor Swift!
Best wishes from germany!

taylor swift travelled through 267 places in the wasteland, he died at level 17 and the last thing he saw was a Whispering Albino Partially Invisible Giant Rad-Ram Goliath Titan in the region known as Uskred Valley

taylor swift travelled through Witherwood Town Mountain into the far expanding wastes of New Harkdale the little patch of wastes known as Mount Darkentor, from there he passed into the far expanding wastes of Ron's Craters, from there he passed into the sizeable wastes of Burnbrush Wasteland, from there he passed into the expansive wastes of Uskred Valley Where his journey ended.

Health               - 260
Strength             - 12
Agility              - 9
Intelligence         - 19
Lockpick             - 3
Times Mutated        - 7
Mutation Level       - 25
Money                - 192315
Kills                - 236
Regions Cleared      - 4
Dungeons Cleared     - 14
Settlements Visited  - 6
Weapon Name          - Forbidden Forbidden Nickel Razor Nunchucks
Weapon Damage        - 706
Weapon Durability    - 146
Weapon Value         - 9389
taylor swift Killed Master Anderson in New Harkdale
taylor swift Killed Master Stan in New Harkdale
                       Rest In Peace taylor swift
(built in version 0.7.5)

2015-07-16 17:38:02

Hay Wastelander, I had fun with the new build!
A few questions;
First, I agree that what happens could be placed first so we hear it first, but even so, I'm still hoping we'll get some kind of stats screen before to long.
Also, I've noticed the game creates files in a settlements folder for each town you visit.
Does this mean that you can find the same settlements in a different game if you keep the files?
Hopefully, we can save soon.
I can see how a fully dedicated game could take some time. And, not being able to save or load one is the main reason I haven't really devoted serious time to a run yet.
Also, the lock picking sound still plays when you choose a menu option.
And, finally, Why can we play music?
Odd, but, um, cool, I guess ? ?

2015-07-16 18:23:54

Thank you for the mutation guide, wastelander.
Hmm, think I should download the latest version now. Ah no, I have the better way. I'm gonna go somewhere for a few days and let's see what version will be out when i come back. Don't worry, I'll probably  still haunt around the forum.*grins*

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-07-16 19:15:53

@Dark
yeah I will work on having a settings.ini very soon

As for mutations perhaps I could add something making them not so harsh but I do enjoy the idea that a character can get fucked up by mutations because it adds a level of real danger and unforgivingness to the game

the agent-x vials were designed to fuck you over at the start because by regular game standards black is bad and green is good, so people would go for the less dangerous looking colours and would soon learn they were bad but might later discover and work out which are good and bad

I think that if every bad thing that happens can eventually be cured or undone removes the seriousness of the bad thing in the first place, I like the idea of players genuinely being worried about negative mutations and as I have done in the past, having to deal with a character with serious illnesses, ie a character with skullrot trying to level up, it makes levelling up a really battle until you can get intelligence up enough, or similarly one of the injuries that takes hp down every turn.

Maybe in the future I will add an easy mode with less harsh things in it, but for now I want the wastes to fuck you up if you aren't careful

@Firefly

I can give the menu moving a shot but it will take a lot of work due to the way the game is made, I will have to manually add new code or alter existing code in every encounter and sub part of the game (no easy job)

Day/night cycles are already in the plans, but you have the right idea, there will be harsher encounters at night

@Threeblacknoises

Nope, you can't encounter the same town twice at the moment, I used to save all town files so you could remember where you had been but it was useless and after enough playthroughs you ended up with a huge folder full of hundreds of town files, in the future I might change the way it all works but town development is on standstill atm.

I found the sound neutral enough to be both menu and lockpick to save on filespace, I'll change it soon when I bring out a new sound effects update

you can play music because of a few things, firstly I wanted to see if it were possible for me to generate random little guitar songs (and it worked, and I was happy) so I added a few bard encounters to the game, then I added the ability for player to play guitar, (there is a chance you can find a dancing titan, if you play the right notes for the song of titans then he will leave you alone) this will be expanded in the future allowing you to busk in the towns

Also I am trying to add pitch changes so you can loot guitars with different pitches and find the one your prefer

2015-07-16 21:08:48

I must say that the reaction to this game is really startling and I can see a whole new group of games being made off this console idea.
I made a console game a while back that was kind of bad, but I didn't think people would spend the time to go through the screen.
Congrats Wastelander, the wastes will probably be what people point to when they talk about console games! smile So much for World of Legends!

2015-07-16 21:34:44

has anyone figured out what ther mercs do for you? or has that not been put in yet? also, what's this war sim thing? Is that part of the same game as well?

2015-07-16 22:33:44

running in to a bit of a problem.
when I turn off ascii and the game goes back to the main menu, jaws will just keep repeating the screen over and over to the point where I can't see the options.

2015-07-16 22:54:25

Hello,
I have a gravestone of a fairly passable character here, who was accidentally called jukesyt, as apposed to jukesy, but he still survived for a while in the wastes.
jukesyt travelled through 126 places in the wasteland, he died at level 10 and the last thing he saw was a Evolved Eye-faced HawkMongrel Goliath in the region known as Purebrook Mountain

jukesyt travelled through Harmbrook into the small stretched waste of Darville Craters, from there he passed into the far expanding wastes of Purebrook Mountain Where his journey ended.

Health               - 135
Strength             - 26
Agility              - 8
Intelligence         - 7
Lockpick             - 39
Times Mutated        - 1
Mutation Level       - 5
Money                - 182
Kills                - 132
Regions Cleared      - 2
Dungeons Cleared     - 9
Settlements Visited  - 1
Weapon Name          - Legendary Electric Blessed Impure-Silver Sawblade on a Stick
Weapon Damage        - 1663
Weapon Durability    - 238
Weapon Value         - 7796
jukesyt Killed Master Daryl in Purebrook Mountain
jukesyt Killed Raging Tamed Strengthened Rad-Rat Titan in Purebrook Mountain
jukesyt Killed Master Ross in Purebrook Mountain
jukesyt Killed Baby Sickly Smelly Partially Invisible Three-Eyed Vulture Goliath Titan in Purebrook Mountain
                       Rest In Peace jukesyt
(built in version 0.7.5)

2015-07-16 23:31:37

@Wastelander, mostly I wouldn't want an easy mode, I like how harsh the game can get especially if you run into something you shouldn't or try playing like coanan the barbarian, though the skullrot thing was annoying sinse essentially it was random, I hit a patch of radioactive liquid in a crator and just got skullrot without a choice, it wasn't even that I drank a vial. That is why I wondered about some positive consequences to negative mutations eventually, sinse yeah you'd still have to deal with the character, but you'd get some reward for doing so rather than as I did with the skullrot and inability to advance just saying "sodit" and giving up rather than having some reason to manage a seriously mutated character as you describe.

Still, I do see the arguement for maintaining the idea of the waste's essential pointless nastiness.

@Krishna I don't think the mercs are in yet, as Wastelander said,  we're wating on the town update.

@Frastlin, I've always enjoyed console window rpgs, you know I'm a huge fan of Eamon deluxe and fallthru, and I've had some fun with World of legends, westland, destination mars  and drone as well, (it's one of the reasons I'm staying with xp).

What I love about the wastes though, (apart from the stupidly fast updates), is that it's so very, very random, you never know wat you will find, even down to the enemies you fight, and the more stuff that gets added to the game, the randomer things go (and randomer is a perfectly cromulant word).
I've always felt a lot of accessible games haven't taken advantage of random text generation as much as they should, nd the wastes is proof of what happens when that system is really used amazingly well.

I would certainly applaud more like this, one reason i created the topic for Warsim.

2015-07-17 01:54:03

@Frastlin you made a console game? is it available, i'd love to give it a try. Also don't doubt yourself, I though the same about the wastes, it was a shitty little project I made that had 0 depth and three little encounters, I can't remember why I expanded it but It was only ever for coding practice, something lead me to make a subreddit for it to ask for some encounter suggestions and it blew up from there and within a week I had over 100 people on the sub and thousands of visits and downloads.

It's been a fun two weeks because for the first time I feel like a developer and not a hobbyist which after six or seven years of making little games here and there is a great feeling.

@Krishna Mercs don't work at the moment but when companions are coded into the game I will add the ability to hire mercenaries, with the addition of the companion system will also come random encounters that give companions, the chance to encounter hirable mercs on the road and the chance to hire slaves from slavers as well as dogs and other companions

Warsim is a game I worked on between november/december - january last year, I have pretty much abandoned it for the time being but I did get quite far and at the time I was my biggest project and the wastes has only recently exceeded it.

As it stands at least by amount of lines in the code

WarSim - 29014 lines of code
The Wastes - 29860 lines of code

WarSim is a kingdom management game with a whole heap of things to do, it is the result of my love of mount and blade / my love of randomly generated content and my hatred for the lack of control players get as king of a land, I hated that in some games as ruler of my lands I couldn't do shit. In warsim as king you can set laws, maybe you want to tax the arena or banks in the kingdom (doing so will reduce the amount of gold you can bet and will reduce bank interest but will give you money each turn) maybe you want to outlaw the local mercenaries (you will have to fight them) maybe you want to allow outlaws back into society and ban goblin slavery, well you're in luck because you can.

In WarSim you can, open trade routes with the five randomly generated kingdoms, or you can attack them and steal their lands, you can send your men to fight bandits/rebels or goblins, you can hire mercenary armies to do your dirty work, you can buy farms, slaver dens, fight pits and training grounds, you can pay for a huge tournament to be held in which the greatest warriors from all living territories and kingdoms will come to fight for glory, you can hire units and sell units, you can send your men to hell, bet on fist fights and arena fights, invade little castles within your lands and explore the realm, it's an ambitious game and the vast majority of the core features are done so its worth a try if you like that kind of game.

@Krishna

What is Jaws? is that your text reading software?

@aaron RIP Jukesyt

@Dark yeah I can see how skullrot would have been annoying, I do love the idea of the game throwing a spanner in the works that you can't really defend against but have to try and live with, I remember the game being too easy for one of my characters, there was no challenge and then I got skull rot and something that kept lowering my hp, I managed to quickly level up and got regrowth enough to balance out my health but my xp was being dropped so I kept having to find the best ways to up my xp while trying to stay alive, it was a great challenge.

I will also be adding more things to screw with you when you get to higher levels and skills like mirror mutants, the latest addition, mirror mutants copy all your stats, so don't miss

I'm glad you like it, and I really appreciate all the support I get from audiogames and reddit, seeing people enjoy the game is what makes me want to keep pumping out updates, you are all very motivating!

I will hopefully keep expanding the randomness of the game so the replayability gets stronger! including random plants/armor/books/ect and obviously more dynamic loot and towns!

Happy to answer any more questions!

2015-07-17 02:04:22

that it is!
Not sure if it's only doing that with jaws or if I'm the only one having that problem however.

2015-07-17 02:50:10

As i can say i dont have this problem krishna mentioned. I am using NVDA. its another text reading software.
Oooh and i have to say it again! I love warsim! Even you can see that it is a little bit unfinished.

2015-07-17 03:42:12

firefly82 wrote:

As i can say i dont have this problem krishna mentioned. I am using NVDA. its another text reading software.
Oooh and i have to say it again! I love warsim! Even you can see that it is a little bit unfinished.

Hmm, not to sure then, glad you are enjoying warsim though, its not finished but it has depth! smile

Also tonights update has kept me up way later than I wanted to, gonna release it late tomorrow

It includes Warzone... Dead Regions and a slightly improved lockpick system among other things, also mutants are making their first major appearance in the game

2015-07-17 03:56:01

Just use ctrl to stop it and use your jaws cursor to read the text. but just FYI, 1 is start game... XD
My little game is:
Final 1
but I made it a long time ago just to see if people liked console games. I got a lot of comments for adding sounds, but at that time there was no easy way to add sounds to consoles. There is still no easy way to just import a sound library without using a massive library's music player. I figured out how to do it with pygame's mixer, but haven't done anything with it. I was thinking about making an ingame editor and making some games from that. BTW, python is probably 1000 times smaller than C++...
I used no classes in that example, so everything (if I remember) was done with dicts, lists and strings.