2015-07-17 07:41:32

Just a quick question, but does anyone know how to scroll the window with Nvda?  I'm loving this game.especially with all the potential it has for the future as well . smile

2015-07-17 09:39:43

For the record, Supernova, my screen reader doesn't do the text thing either.

Updates   are very welcome, indeed that's a major thing with the game sinse every time you add another monster condition or whatever, it vastly increases the randomness factor, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how that works out with items, food, books, companions etc.

@Frastlin, amusingly enough, everytime you mention "console games" I think of my Snes and my Sega mega drive, ---- oh and I suppose modern consoles like the wii and the xbox too though I don't really care about those big_smile.

We really don't see enough propper single player text games though that aren't the interactive fiction. I won't start the if devbate again, but as you know, I don't like the fact that the if community hate anything without a ridiculously complex zork style parser and insane puzzles, much less rpg mechanics etc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-17 10:06:03 (edited by frastlin 2015-07-17 10:13:05)

Heh I'm not sure the mining is balanced... Perhaps make it a timed based thing where it takes a random amount of time to get a rock, or have ore make a sound in different pannings and we need to press a number in order to mine it? I got to level 16 in a few minutes with mining. I also got 500K...
Also, lock-picking is not balanced either. I had a rather high lock-picking skill and still failed most doors.
If it wasn't for dumb mountains I would still be alive!!!

fred travelled through 85 places in the wasteland, he died at level 16 and the last thing he saw was a Wasteland in the region known as Blissden Mountain

fred travelled through Westington Craters into the sizeable wastes of St Endham Commons, from there he passed into the sizeable wastes of Neil Mountain, from there he passed into the small stretched waste of Blissden Mountain Where his journey ended.

-------------------------------SKILLS----------------------------------------
Health               - 170
Strength             - 13
Agility              - 27
Intelligence         - 5
Lockpick             - 123
-----------------------------OTHER STATS-------------------------------------
Times Mutated        - 0
Mutation Level       - 0
Money                - 498309
Kills                - 67
Regions Cleared      - 3
Dungeons Cleared     - 4
Settlements Visited  - 2
----------------------------CURRENT WEAPON-----------------------------------
Weapon Name          - Legendary Atomic Electric Gold Trench Knife
Weapon Damage        - 12432
Weapon Durability    - 2762
Weapon Value         - 185887
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Rest In Peace fred
(built in version 0.7.5)

BTW, I probably left 10 Dungeons because they had nothing good in them and didn't feel killing 40 guys that gave me 50 XP when the xp TNL was so much was worth it.
Perhaps when the random area comes it will look at your level a little more? I've attacked some guys with 6K HP when I was level 1 and guys with 12 HP when I was level 16. There is a problem with that! Also, why do I only get 200-300 HP when other guys get 4K+? I could probably get 600 max if I tried, but it's not worth 600 HP when my weapon hits 12K and if there is someone who hits more than 200 and I don't KO him, then I'm dead.

2015-07-17 11:36:44

frastlin wrote:

Heh I'm not sure the mining is balanced... Perhaps make it a timed based thing where it takes a random amount of time to get a rock, or have ore make a sound in different pannings and we need to press a number in order to mine it? I got to level 16 in a few minutes with mining. I also got 500K...
Also, lock-picking is not balanced either. I had a rather high lock-picking skill and still failed most doors.
If it wasn't for dumb mountains I would still be alive!!!

BTW, I probably left 10 Dungeons because they had nothing good in them and didn't feel killing 40 guys that gave me 50 XP when the xp TNL was so much was worth it.
Perhaps when the random area comes it will look at your level a little more? I've attacked some guys with 6K HP when I was level 1 and guys with 12 HP when I was level 16. There is a problem with that! Also, why do I only get 200-300 HP when other guys get 4K+? I could probably get 600 max if I tried, but it's not worth 600 HP when my weapon hits 12K and if there is someone who hits more than 200 and I don't KO him, then I'm dead.

I appreciate the feedback but as said before, mining is completely broken atm but I'm leaving it in the game because its better having an overpowered feature than none at all while I sort out the town update.

In regards to lockpicking that's already being updated in this new version and as for mountains, the mountaineer perk is your friend!

You don't know if a dungeon has nothing good in it till you get to the end smile

When random areas come up it does look at your level but mainly the region level, the idea is that the lower the region level the weaker monsters have to be, you won't get anything over a certain hp/str ect, but in higher level regions you get everything

Hope you keep enjoying the game though

@frastlin better than I thought it would be, the little game!

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2015-07-17 12:24:24

Well, looks like its me who tries out waste with Window-Eyes. smile
Window-Eyes 9.0 and later ain't supported by its manufacturor on XP do to end of life, but not surprisingly, it runs without issues!

2015-07-17 13:53:25

Any plans to release the game to the Mac?

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2015-07-17 13:57:12

with mining frastlin, note that you get a different type of ore in each mine, so panning sounds and pressing numbers wouldn't work, plus the wastes is supposed to be a text game anyway.
Myself, when mining gets fixed I'd just prefer the timed elements be dropped sinse they don't add much and the flickering text is a bugger to read anyway, just have a type in number of turns you want to mine, taking into account the chances your axe might break or underground nasty encounters or the mine running out of ore or there being a cave in or a pocket of gas or whatever along the way.

I think the business of regions being too easy will be a lot better when it's possible to exit a region and get a new one, sinse then if a region's level is too low and it's full of wussy creatures you could always go elsewhere, though of course there are still titans and mutant hunters and other fun stuff that could sneak up on you, though I do agree xp to level does get quite insane, and would much prefer a squared progression rather than a continually doubling exponential one myself though I've already said as much on the subreddit so won't repeat myself again.

I won't repeat myself! no I absolutely won't repeat myself! You think I'll repeat myself? well that's something I wont' do sinse I absolutely won't repeat myself, not once, not ever, no repeating myself at all, sinse repeating myself would be pointless and just take up space hence why I won't repeat myself.

There! glad that is cleared up and I don't have to repeat myself :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-17 14:28:59

Dark wrote:

with mining frastlin, note that you get a different type of ore in each mine, so panning sounds and pressing numbers wouldn't work, plus the wastes is supposed to be a text game anyway.
Myself, when mining gets fixed I'd just prefer the timed elements be dropped sinse they don't add much and the flickering text is a bugger to read anyway, just have a type in number of turns you want to mine, taking into account the chances your axe might break or underground nasty encounters or the mine running out of ore or there being a cave in or a pocket of gas or whatever along the way.

I think the business of regions being too easy will be a lot better when it's possible to exit a region and get a new one, sinse then if a region's level is too low and it's full of wussy creatures you could always go elsewhere, though of course there are still titans and mutant hunters and other fun stuff that could sneak up on you, though I do agree xp to level does get quite insane, and would much prefer a squared progression rather than a continually doubling exponential one myself though I've already said as much on the subreddit so won't repeat myself again.

I won't repeat myself! no I absolutely won't repeat myself! You think I'll repeat myself? well that's something I wont' do sinse I absolutely won't repeat myself, not once, not ever, no repeating myself at all, sinse repeating myself would be pointless and just take up space hence why I won't repeat myself.

There! glad that is cleared up and I don't have to repeat myself :d.

Dark, I am intrigued by this squared progression you speak of?

@devin if it doesn't work right now then I could look at getting it working for mac once its released properly

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0

2015-07-17 15:41:21

@Wastelander, squared progression means you worke on a number times itself, and the system I was thinking was the player's current level, times itself times 100, as opposed to the current system where it doubles.

At the moment if I have this correct, intelligence bonuses aside, the progression goes:

100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600, 51200, 102400, 204800, 409600, 819200, 1638400, 3276800, 6553600, 13107200,  26214400, 52428800.

On a squared system x 100, the progression would be 100, 400, 900, 1600, 2500, 3600, 4900, 5600, 8100, 10000, 14400, 16900, 19600, 22500, 25600, 28900, 32400, 36100, 40000.
(hope these numbers are correct, I had to work them out in my brain because when I tried siri's calculator siri was an idiot!).

This would mean  lower levels cost slightly more, however things levelled out quickly, and while a player would still be paying more xp to advance, they would always be able to advance. Yes, this would mean players gained more levels, but as I said on the reddit, I am always much more a fan of progression than stalling the player with such a huge xp cost that xp becomes nearly worthless, and hay, with infinite perks and a potentially infinite game, as well as more and more perks and skills to spend points on being added continually, more levels wouldn't be such a bad thing, and as I said, I do love continual advancement.

indeed, (and here I am afraid I repeat myself), in rpgs generally, I never get why effectively the increasing xp cost to level which aren't matched by the increasing xp gains from monsters mean that effectively it takes longer! to get any advances in your character at higher levels. If a level 1 character can get to level 2 by killing ten rats, why  does a level 20 character need to kill 30 dragons to get to level 21? dragons are far harder to kill than rats, so it makes sense someone would learn more by killing them, ie, grow more skilled and gain their level bonuses, not effectively gain less by devaluing their experience. I do get the idea that a level 20 character shouldn't be killing rats and advancing, but it's possible to do this without making the dragons of the level 20 player worth less in advancement terms than the rats of the level 1 player.

OkayI will take off the ranting trousers now big_smile.

Btw Wastelander, you might  consider just using the "post reply" link or typing in the quick reply edit box at the bottom of the thread, sinse quoting someone just means their message gets written twice which obviously creates more stuff to read before people can get to your reply. Unless you specifically want to address a phrase they said in their message, the quote function tends to create clutter, after all the forum doesn't work like reddit, you don't need to reply to specific people, just to the hole thread, (you can probably see now why I initially made the mistake with the reply myself).
There's nothing really wrong with quoting the entire previous message, it just means  people need to skip through more to get your  actual reply.

Sorry if this comes across as being a  forum nazi, that's not my intent at all.

2015-07-17 16:05:18

New Version is out, includes dead regions, autopicking and a whole heap of new encounters

@Dark

Squared progression sounds brilliant and much smarter than just doubling it, I will look at adding it

2015-07-17 16:28:03 (edited by Soul Keeper 2015-07-17 16:32:10)

Well... I have no graveyard file to show for it, because I died by crashing the game, but I ended up at level 57/58, with a weapon with somewhere around 43kdmg and 8192 durability (I remember the durability because it was a power of 2) and somewhere around 70k hp. He had somewhere around 15mil str, and almost 200 agi and int, and a lockpicking level of 500 something. My mutation level must have been ridiculous, I found like 15 black vials through the course of the game, and countless purple/red. Anyways, what ended up happening was that my xp requirement values wrapped, so I kept leveling continuously beyond level 27. Amusing, but sad that I have no graveyard file. sad

Edit: I do have this,  which I recovered from the depths of my clipboard after pasting it on some mud:
you swing for the Black-Blood Cultist and get a critical hit for 101902 damage

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2015-07-17 16:46:16

@Wastelander awesome, auto lockpicking will be good and maybe mean I can raise the dam skill enough to actually unlock something for once big_smile.

Interestingly enough, I think Soulkeeper actually hit on one other problem with the doubling xp requirements. I don't know what the highest number the wastes can handle is, but I'm guessing from the trend of the doubling requirements and what soulkeeper reported that it's 999999999, and after the doubling got past  this point the game started counting xp to level requirements from 0 again, which I'm guessing would happen somewhere around level 25 or 26.

So, definitely needs a fix I think. Under a level squared x 100 progression system, even the xp requirement to level 100 would be 1000000, so the bug is likely to occur again, plus of course, that once the grind mine exploit is fixed, it'll mean gaining xp in the hundreds of thousands becomes near impossible.

I don't know how intelligence bonuses factor into this, but I'm not exactly sure how the intelligence bonuses work currently.

2015-07-17 17:25:04

Wow, you guys get some crazy levels. I thought I was doing good at level 33 lol. I guess I could've just sat there for an endless amount of time at the mines, but after a certain amount of time I was just getting kind of bored. even the deadly regions weren't doing much for me. I got a good challenge of a fight every once in a while, but it just seemed like everything was too easy. I think in this entire run through I only ever got hit twice? I decided to finally just end it by kicking  a nuke though. Was pretty hilarious. Anyway, here's my graveyard.
alex travelled through 301 places in the wasteland, he died at level 33 and the last thing he saw was a Retching Crusty Old Beetle in the region known as Wanlake Mountain

alex travelled through St Heckbrush Barrens into the small stretched waste of Windstead, from there he passed into the sizeable wastes of Mount Hazardstead, from there he passed into the small stretched waste of Westnest Mountain, from there he passed into the far expanding wastes of Mount Duskson, from there he passed into the sizeable wastes of Uskwold Crater, from there he passed into the far expanding wastes of Wanlake Mountain Where his journey ended.

Health               - 1050
Strength             - 83
Agility              - 102
Intelligence         - 48
Lockpick             - 234
Times Mutated        - 12
Mutation Level       - 45
Money                - 717568
Kills                - 528
Regions Cleared      - 6
Dungeons Cleared     - 14
Settlements Visited  - 4
Weapon Name          - Legendary Grand Atomic Dark-Silver Spiked Baseball Bat
Weapon Damage        - 7500
Weapon Durability    - 16204
Weapon Value         - 64666
----------------------------NOTABLE KILLS------------------------------------
alex Killed The Great Miguel in St Heckbrush Barrens
alex Killed The Great Stanley in St Heckbrush Barrens
alex Killed The Great Karl in Mount Duskson
alex Killed The Great Leo in Mount Duskson
alex Killed Les The Mutant Hunter in Mount Duskson
alex Killed Raging Fragile Delicate One-Eyed Blue Rabbit Titan in Mount Duskson
alex Killed The Great Guido in Mount Duskson
alex Killed Rotting Cancerous Walking Fly-Trap Titan in Uskwold Crater
alex Killed Super Guinea PigScorpion Titan in Uskwold Crater
alex Killed Dying Shambing Tamed Headless Pig Goliath Titan in Uskwold Crater
alex Killed Danny Master Mutant Hunter in Uskwold Crater
alex Killed Master Paulie in Wanlake Mountain
alex Killed The Great Stanley in Wanlake Mountain
alex Killed Raider of The Mythic Eastern Marsh Ravagers in Wanlake Mountain
alex Killed Big Fat Ellis in Wanlake Mountain
                       Rest In Peace alex
(built in version 0.7.5)

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2015-07-17 17:33:32

Lol, "lez the mutant hunter" should be a new superhero!

I personally have stopped bothering with the grind mine, isnse I find it just takes all the fun out of the game, indeed I hope Wastelander will indeed implement the above mentioned squared system for xp sinse that would make progression without grind mining much more possible.

Anyway, if you thought the boy  called sue was unlucky, here's an even unluckier fellow, especially sinse a bloodying annoying alpha venus flytrap hound got two crits in succession!

honey mc frillypink travelled through 39 places in the wasteland, he died at level 7 and the last thing he saw was a Alpha Mortally Wounded Rotting One-Eyed HoundWalking Fly-Trap in the region known as Gus Mountain

the far expanding wastes of Gus Mountain Where his journey ended.

Health               - 130
Strength             - 10
Agility              - 9
Intelligence         - 9
Lockpick             - 4
Times Mutated        - 2
Mutation Level       - 8
Money                - 155
Kills                - 28
Regions Cleared      - 0
Dungeons Cleared     - 0
Settlements Visited  - 1
Weapon Name          - Grand Iron Staff
Weapon Damage        - 45
Weapon Durability    - 79
Weapon Value         - 536
                       Rest In Peace honey mc frillypink
(built in version 0.7.6)

2015-07-17 17:43:23

@Soul Keeper, I will have to add caps to skills / hp / str ect, it shouldn't allow you to get that ridiculous because it's just inviting problems haha

@Dark the problem was more broad than xp, if it wasn't the xp it would be str hp ect, I need to cap all of them, regardless of the squared progression it would be a problem.

Intelligence bonuses just change the amount of xp you get, so for example generic encounters reward you with 1 x intelligence level and some of the bigger ones can offer intelligence level x 100 as the xp reward, so it can be worth while.

@Sneak yeah I need to add more challenging encounters at higher levels, first attempt at this was mutant hunters but to no avail, mirror mutants are the latest attempt but I have yet to encounter them to test

I will be adding many more things soon, like the player not always instantly going first in combat / special monster abilities (poison) ect, and npcs having armour and weapons of their own

@Dark, if you are on reddit check fastfinge's run, he got through 1200 areas and had 100s of notable kills, one of them was a raider called 'Cunt Fart Fred' best name ever...

2015-07-17 17:55:29

Hallo Wastelander!
This auto lockpicking is great! I am looking forward to try it very often!, haha. Have you thought about bringing this automation in for attacking and fleeing too?

2015-07-17 18:18:29 (edited by Wastelander 2015-07-17 18:19:15)

@firefly nope haven't really though about it, I feel like it would be too intrusive if you had to choose weather you wanted to attack then choose not to auto attack, it would mean you would have to do twice the work if you didn't want to auto attack, I only added it for lockpicking because aside from bashing locks theres nothing else to do whereas in combat how you play is dynamic, you might fight but then decide to flee or use your weapon till it breaks, maybe you will bite and scratch then use weapon, automation would not work well with it, if there was automation you wouldn't be able to change how you play during a fight

2015-07-17 18:47:11

Hay Wastelander, I just got the new version, but you might want to think more about moving the download to something other than mediafire, as they've now made to where you have to solve a capcha to get your file.
If you could find some way to make the music smaller like using mp3 or ogg, you could put the game on tinyupload.
You could always use dropbox, as they don't require capchas.
Just trying to make sure all can enjoy this great game for the feuture.
Later.

2015-07-17 19:01:08

@Threeblacknoises

yeah this was brought up before, If some could rehost them I have no issues with that, my problem atm is aside from time constraints all my shit is on mediafire and I would have to transfer it all and update my links, I moved to mediafire after complaints about sourceforge so I've already done the move once and it took a lot of work moving my other work files over

also I have compressed sound in the special sound compressed version but I wont do that by default so people can enjoy quality sound. again feel free to download the small sized version from reddit for tiny upload, I don't mind

2015-07-17 19:10:15 (edited by firefly82 2015-07-17 19:51:18)

Hi Wastelander. Yeah, i absolutely get your point. But it also can be pretty anoying to encounter creatures you know you will defeat no matter what you do. But as i said, i get your point and can accept it.
Oh a little information. Auto lockpicking isnt implemented in every opening menu.
And i got another question: Does successfully fleeing a battle inproves any skill? Maybe agility?

Best wishes from Germany!

2015-07-18 00:41:56

I'm not personally a fan of auto attack, it makes the game too formula, I agree with wastelander here, lockpicking needed automation sinse you could try for literally hundreds of lock picks just pressing one and enter over and over with no risk, but battles need to be dynamic, indeed when we have healing and such in the game they will become more so.

@Wastelander cunt fart fred? lol! Interesting you mention about stat caps, though I'd suggest making them pretty darn high, ie, high enough so most players will never see them unless they use the grind mine exploit, somewhere in the hundreds of millions.

Intelligence bonuses make more sense now, though if you were moving to the squared x 100 xp model, I'd probably suggest changing those intelligence x 100 bonus kills to intelligence x 10 or intelligence x 20 at the most, ---- don't want to makee player's lives too easy after all, especially sinse more of those kills will be made at higher levels when a player has likely a  high intelligence.

@Firefly, nope, fleeing a battlt doesn't improve skills, it just lets you live to fight another day, which is pretty important in the long run big_smile.
There are encounters that can improve agility and skills though, especially climbing mountains, though I'd also recommend getting the mountaineer perks if your in a mountainous area sinse lots of nasty stuff happens when mountain climbing too.

2015-07-18 00:53:00

I say, Window-eyes with the  wastes, seems to speak better than with NVDA! Although, it may be the problem of using ESpeak with NVDA, and not me using another voice. I'll try it with Scansoft  Jennifer next.

2015-07-18 01:02:26

the only issue I have with NVDA is being unable to scroll the window up to read long lists.  I looked in the manual and saw nothing that would do that.  any ideas?

2015-07-18 02:44:46

Besides using the full screen option, maximizing the window of the pogram itself, and switching to "object review," I have no idea.

2015-07-18 04:00:56

Hi Dark!
Yes yes, as i said, i can accept it.
But fact is, that the hole lockpicking is a little bit strange in the values. And the option of lock bashing makes lockpicking a little bit useless.
@Wastelander: Maybe it would be good if bashing a lock would exhaust more of the weapons durability.
I mean, why should i use lockpicking if i have a highlevelweapon?