2017-09-24 16:40:57 (edited by Victorious 2017-09-28 16:02:45)

Edit: See below for changelog.

The existing soundpacks/plugin packages are hard to install (due to missing/outdated links etc), or are not as good as what we've come to expect from the excellent Mush-z distribution for Alter Aeon. So I've created a soundpack for Materia Magica. Most of the plugins are developed by the player Ruthgul, with a few plugins that I wrote myself.
You can download the soundpack here

If you like it, I'd appreciate it if you mentioned me (Neurrone) as the character that referred you during character creation.

Features:

* prompt notifications, area change alerts and area music (similar to AA)
* Channel history for most things
* Sounds for the following types of triggers: getting better at skills, levelling, questing, gold and item manipulation, etc

Instructions:

1. Unzip it into a location of your choice, and launch mushclient.exe
2. Press ctrl+o to bring up the world selection dialog. Select the materia magica.mcl file in the worlds subfolder.
3. Optionally, with the world open, go to file -> global preferences. In the worlds tab, choose "add current world" to open the world automatically on startup.

This soundpack uses three plugins I created which you can use to create soundpacks for any mud: prompt helper, channel history with sound playback (slightly modified version of an existing plugin) and soundpack manager. These plugins all require that lua_audio is installed to work. I'll probably have a separate announcement for them at some point, but the built-in documentation should be all you need to create your own soundpacks.

Online documentation for Ruthgul's plugins (inside the mm subdirectory of the plugins folder) can be found
here

In particular, learning how to use the mapper and speedwalk manager plugins, both of which are preinstalled, will make travel much, much easier.

Feel free to post here if you have any trouble getting it working, or ping me (Neurrone) in-game.

Changes (09/28/2017)
* Changed the included map database to be the one that has most areas mapped. If you prefer doing your own explorations, rename the "mm_mapper wilderness only" file to "mm_mapper.db".
* Added area music for tower of riga and aroxa

2017-09-24 16:50:42

The CWN clan website is also extremely useful. It contains a quest database which you can consult when stuck.

The speedwalks page (tools -> speedwalk generator) makes moving about much easier.

For those already familiar with the mapper, the included map database only contains maps of the Alyrian wilderness (i.e, roads) so that you can easily walk between places. It does not contain information about the areas themselves.

2017-09-24 22:50:38 (edited by blindndangerous 2017-09-24 22:56:14)

Hey, do you mind if I update my 4.6 topic with this pack?  I'll also post this to the MM FB group, so that they can update the link on their website if it's alright with you.
Oh. You already did that. I've also put the link for this thread in post 1 of my topic so that people don't have to go digging through the topic to find it.

2017-09-24 23:09:00

If I can make a suggestion. Why not get a stock mushclient and set all this up already?  Especially for those of us who don't play alter aeon and don't have mush-z.  It makes no sense for us to get all that stuff and then have to set all this up.

2017-09-25 01:51:52

Agreed, I'd much rather have an installer like MushZ has, if you want to make it really easy.

2017-09-25 02:56:04

We don't even need an installer, just zip it up and let us run mushclient.exe and have it auto open the world.

2017-09-25 02:56:51

or at least, make a world file with required settings or something. Some people have hard time even trying to work around with the client themselves, especially those with low tech skill.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-09-25 06:30:51 (edited by Victorious 2017-09-25 06:35:16)

This is just meant as a proof of concept release to see if people like it. If the reception is good, then I'll make a separate standalone copy to make the setup easier.

Edit: Oh, I do realize that the instructions are complicated, so will make a custom client now.

2017-09-25 06:59:20

Awesome. Their are a few people who wanna try it, but it'd be a lot simpler to just give them a pre-made client ready to go. Once it's done just edit post 1 and we're good to go.

2017-09-25 07:26:19

Post updated, its now as trivial as unzipping it somewhere and running mushclient.exe

2017-09-25 15:48:09

Thanks Vic! Will test it out.  If this is already set up, then you can ignore this, but do you have a plan to add updates already built into the client like the other pack did?  It checked a link and grabbed updated files with a command from within mush.

2017-09-26 00:37:46

not sure what i am doing wrong. i downloaded the zip file from the first post and hit run on mushclient, but when i run it, i keep getting a hardware error, is this just me?

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2017-09-26 10:38:41

@zub0 it would help if you pasted the full error log if there's more information available or can provide more details.

@blindndangerous no, not at this time. I'll probably put this up on Github at some point, so pull requests will be welcome.

2017-09-26 18:14:21

all i get is this:

A hardware I/O error was reported while accessing D:\MM Mushclient Distro\worlds\materia magica.MCL.

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2017-09-26 20:52:26

I'm getting an error of materia magic.mcl contains an invalid path. If I hit ok, and then do open>materia magica.mcl it opens, and when I save it asks if I want to save the internal variable changes. But if I say yes and open it again, the same error comes up.

2017-09-27 07:09:23

Ah, so it doesn't like it if I try setting the materia magica world to be opened by default on startup.

Distribution and instructions updated, that should fix the problem.

2017-09-27 20:44:43

You might also want to check the mapper, as some of your speedwalks are currently broken since your mapper isn't up-to-date.  Going on that, where is the dock in Sigil?  I need to map that so I can acn use ridsig hopefully find an NPC I need. I can't track Pirq the shipwrite and it's annoying me.

2017-09-28 05:05:40

Yeah I only deliberately included wilderness, which does not include maps of towns (and unfortunately most NPC ships dock in towns). I can show you around so that you can have it mapped if you like, I'm sure others will be willing to help too.

2017-09-30 07:18:54

I posted a new version a couple of days ago and somehow forgot to bump the thread. Changelog at the bottom of the first post.

2017-09-30 17:09:47

Thanks for the update.

2017-09-30 23:44:32

I don't get how the crystal map works. I buy a map, then just look at the map and locate my crystal? Also got an error when I got it, imap is not a command.  What's the point of the crystal on/off commands?

2018-05-29 12:43:10

The game has also recently been updated so that there are built-in speedwalking commands for moving between areas, so using a dedicated mapper plugin for that might not be as necessary. I haven't tested this yet.

@blindndangerous I believe the way that the crystal quest maps works have been changed. For screen reader users, using the scroll gives you a direction as to where the crystal you want is located.