2017-01-11 14:20:24

hi.
this topic might've been discussed before. If so, I'm really sorry. I'm not good at searching. :-)
so, here's what I have in mind. An app that can remember the last position of the book I'm reading, supports bookmarking, includes various navigation options and so on. I'm planning to listen to audio books, and some recorded files of my own.
does such a program exist for windows?
What's it's name?
thanks in advance for your recommendations

:)

2017-01-11 14:44:53 (edited by grryfindore 2017-01-11 14:45:25)

Ahoy there

I too would be interested in such a program, so if anyone can think of any besides vlc, do let us know.

st.mc
The closest application that comes to mind which does what you want to do is vlc player, however the audiobook must itself have chapters and the like for it to navigate through. Example m4b's with chapter markers.
However... (should've seen that coming big_smile) Vlc on windows does not continue playback from the last position even when that's set so in preferences. strangely enough, though this works quite well on OSX and ios go figure.
hth

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-01-13 09:26:51

I am wondering the same.

2017-01-13 10:33:12

Foobar 2000.  I'd explain more, but I've sung its praises over and over, so I'll just point you here.   make note of posts 7 and 13 to get the best out of foobar if you're an audio book listener.  Regardless, all of the info on that topic is worth taking a look at.  As always, if there's something not covered you have questions about, feel free to post and I will do my best to answer.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-01-13 12:45:21

Though Foobar 2000 sounds quite interesting, I don't like it for two particular reasons. Firstly, it makes it a little difficult to change keyboard shortcuts and I have found it impossible in two cases. Maybe I don't know how to rightly do it, but I am doing just like I am instructed to. I cannot edit shortcut, and that was the most annoyance which made me uninstall it. Secondly, Foobar 2000 adds files to a playlist treeview when playing individual files inside a folder. For example, if in a folder you click on song A when your computer is turned on for the first time, Foobar 2000 opens up and song A begins playing. When you hit enter on song B, it is added to that first treeview created when you played song A. So you need to press an extra enter on song B to play it. If these two problems are solved, then it will be quite OK to work with it.

2017-01-13 13:55:29

@afrim
It shouldn't be that difficult, but I'll see if I can work out an audio tutorial for the first one, though admitedly I don't know where I'll upload it as I currently don't have a dropbox account; I really need to look into some  long term solution.
As to the second problem, under shell integration in preferences, uncheck enqueue as the default option, uncheck bring player to the front when adding files, and uncheck always send to playlist.  That should theoretically solve it.  If it doesn't, I'll look into the issue further, though I admit I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that would even come close to causing that issue to begin with.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-01-13 14:47:54

Well, I installed Foobar 2000 again, and I finally managed to customise shortcuts to my needs. Now I have a Winamp-like experience.

2017-01-16 12:48:24

hi.
@Nocturnus
thanks for your recommendation. Foobar 2000 is very powerful and flexible. There's only too things that i didn't manage to do with it. One is changing the playback speed, and the other is bookmarking. Is there a way for these too? plugins maybe,

2017-01-16 13:24:45

if either of those is possible I'm not entirely aware of it.  The second can sort of be done and is discussed in this topic.   Quickly taken from post 13, the Options dialogue in foobar has tons of them and can be a bit overwhelming; the one you are looking for is found under the playback treeview item.  It is labeled "Save playback state when closing foobar2000 and resume on next startup."  when this option is checked, foobar can be closed while playback is in progress and will resume at the point in the file where foobar was closed.  Pausing foobar will have the same effect, IE, if the player is closed when a file's playback is paused, foobar will resume playback from the point in the file where the pause action was applied, the only difference being that one must push play to resume.  Stopping the file and not pausing it will, of course, return foobar's playback position to the beginning of the file.  this is the closest I've gotten to bookmarking; as far as I know, it's the closest we can get with foobar.

2017-01-16 17:42:27

I also found something interesting.
There is this app called pot player. It supports bookmarking, plus most of the features needed for reading books. like saving the last state of each track, changing speed and so on.
Get the app from the link below
https://potplayer.daum.net/
I'm really interested in this one. Looks like it has all i want, and I'd really like to hear your ideas.