2015-04-23 12:58:12

Hello,

I've got a information email from makers of the visual novel called Blue rose which got support for us through SAPI on steam, desura or from their homepage where You can get direct copy.

Here's a description:

“Deep in the mountains, away from prying eyes
is a refuge unknown to anyone else.
Born of hope
cradled in shadows
this place that only looks forward
is where I found my heart.”

Blue Rose is an interactive ‘visual novel’, following the viewpoint of the female knight Lena as she enters an unknown world deep in the mountains. Lena is a Templar of the Blue Rose, living her life to fight and protect her home and country.

But what is truly important to her is only just about to reveal itself. Pulled away from the front lines of the war, Lena finds herself trapped in a secluded, unknown village in the mountains. For the first time she will make her own decisions – and face the consequences.

Features:
◾ 5 routes – 4 guys and 1 girl
◾ 10 endings
◾ Unlockable mini stories
◾ CG and music gallery

What is a Visual Novel?
Step into the shoes of Lena as you go through an interactive novel-style story of text, illustrations, and music, making choices and influencing the plot as you go.

Who will Lena choose as her companion? Will she and the others succeed in opposing the threat that they have uncovered? Make your choices and find out.

Here are links:

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/36266 … _204_150_1
Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/blue-rose
Homepage where You can get Your copy also: http://www.the-white-cat.com/?page_id=16

Cheers,
Tom

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2015-04-23 13:53:32

Hi.
Is this both accessible on Mac and Windows? Does it only work with sapi? Are there other sounds than music in the game?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-04-23 19:34:58

It's accessible on win for sure, don't know about mac as it's using SAPi only. During the game V key turns self-voicing on and of.

No, it's mostly text game with music but  there are sounds occasionally.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2015-04-24 07:09:21

Hi seal.
are any of the other games mentioned on the site accessable?
at this stage I have brought the game for about 27 nz dollars and the soundtrack for 5 bucks just so I had the complete set of stuff.
Some look babyish to me but the rest who knows.
They seem to be following along the same type of thing, so lets see how this one goes.
Usually I wouldn't be jumping into this so quick but we are doing upgrades on the house and the house is full of dust and noise and I want to read something so this should be interesting.
I have also heard of but not played a visual novel before so this will be my first one I have ever actually played.
I assume the sighted can play this to, great.

2015-04-24 13:49:05

the topic of this game really intrigues me. For those who bought it, my only concern is, is the setup and configuration of it accessible? (I'll be buying it directly from them since I hate steam)

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2015-04-24 13:59:32

Nice... Do you know how long it takes to beat the game? I think I'll check this out this weekend.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2015-04-24 17:48:29

Yeah, normal installation and there's really nothing to configure at all.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2015-04-24 20:32:22

hi all.
So, I've just bought the game directly from the website, which gives me the game for all three platforms and a key for Steam. Yay for that. this is super awesome.
So, I unzipped the archive and thought while I was unzipping this on my Mac: Why not give it a try on OSX? Well, I expected an empty window with absolutely nothingness, but I would just quickly launch it to see if it would start up, shut it down again, copy it to my virtual Windows and then chekc it out. But then... Then, guys... My finger came closer to the V key on my keyboard. I pressed it, and then... Text to speech was enabled in the Mac version of the game. Yeah, you read that right. The game is also fully accessible on the Mac! I'm so super excited for this... Just, wow! Well, back to the game. big_smile I hope others will enjoy the Mac version as well.

Best regards SLJ.

2015-04-25 01:22:10

Hi.
I have just beated the game for the first time. Wow... I can't find the right words to describe how great the story is. The ending, well... I did something wrong for sure, and I'll see if I can make a better ending by playing through the game again. The game is really really worth the money. This is the best text game I ever have played.
Quite often, there are blank lines in the game, where the speech doesn't say anything at all. The back to the menu button where you can save your game doesn't read too, and I'm wandering if we are missing anything important, or if there are that many pictures in the game which the speech will skip.
I find the options menu confusing. I managed to turn down the volume of the music, but it seems like you ahve to close the game to get out of the options. I'm not sure on how to change anything else, because you can't confirm your choices. I don't know how to describe what confuses me, but it's like all the choices are listed in the menu, but you can only arrow through them without having the choice to confirm anything.
Otherwise, as I said, the game is really worth it. I'm just not sure on why I didn't unlocked anything while playing through this the first time. The stories are still locked.

Best regards SLJ.

2015-04-25 05:30:20

Hi all,
As soon as you said the V key turns on speech, I knew immediately it'd be accessible on the Mac.
Why: This game is made with RenPy, and most games that are made in Renpy now are accessible, except those that make extensive hacks to make Renpy do stuff it wasn't designed to do--I'm looking at you, Sun Rider.
But chances are if you know a game is made in Renpy and it came out recently, it'll be accessible.

2015-04-25 22:45:49

Hi.
Well looked at the rest of the games on that site as well as other ren py games.
Bar that one I havn't found another that peaked my interest.
On the ren py games page for example most are about girls with powers teens and the like most of this stuff is school based.
The plots are from romantic to adult  but most of the games follow the same thing.
sciencegirls looks interesting but only mildly.
blue rose is really good.
The story is one of the best I have read well its a good introduction to the novel scene of this type.
Are they any more of this type of games worth checking out I know there was another topic on the ren py engine somewhere but its really old.
This game is a good example of a visual novel.
Sadly every other game on the site the game came from is not my type at all and on the ren py site bar a few which do not have download links anymore the rest are not unless I havn't found anything else.
the games I have tried which are free are not accessable but on that note how old do the games need to be accessable.
Maybe  I will look at ren py again and see what games are accessable but there are so many years, if I know for example that all games after 2012 are accessable or may be then I will only search those years.
I have builders at the house and upgrades and noise and well online gaming in the house is a bit hard but visual novels are not I want more of this type of gameplay.
But I don't want adult contents/ fantasy / poor plotline/ crap and there is so much ren py content out.
Sadly the game I do want dragnet seems not to be round.
There are a few Japanese types of games in ren py and while they follow a similar theme I may touch those later.
Its good to see another gaming type has opened up to us.
I have hit at least 4 endings.
t
I
p
s
Going alone with your friend you like to help in the kitchen is not a good idea.
You need an army and an army of one is good for nothing but your death.
Going with spirits may help you but its not needed.
Doing your duty gets you home.
Then again you don't have to go home, going with a wrebel and doing the unexpected may actually earn you a peacefull life.
I havn't tried anything else.
Going with just the hunter is one thing I tried and that goes so far.
I have not tried randomly pushing chars around to see.
Going the nice peacefull way seems a sure way to meet my gory end.
Going with a wrebel may earn you peace while going with your boss gets you home.
In either of the last 2 endings you actually end up being an overcharged powerhouse with some sort of light saber which semi reminds me of the japaneze games like shaddowline.
Though in that game you are already powered up but upgrade as you go and such.

2015-04-26 00:56:03

Wow Crash master. Cool post there. big_smile
What is Ren py? And what makes them accessible? I thought the developers have included sapi and the system voice on the Mac specially into this game.

Best regards SLJ.

2015-04-27 03:46:32

Well, I am at a loss for words.
look at my topic in general.
Anyway it seems that the renpy list is hopelessly out of date and no older titles are ever killed from the list.
Bar a few good looking series which are not really all  accessable.
It looks like blue rose is the only ren py book that's really good for us.
There are a lot of sex/ school/ small plot stories as well as vampires etc.
But the really good stuff like moe wars and or bionic heart 1 and 2 planet stronghold etc are just not accessable.
After buying the games yesterday I asked winterwolves the company behind these to see if they could be made accessable but they told me that they couldn't due to the nature of how they were done.
In short ren py may be good but no one has written many good games for it and the ones out are to yung unless you are a girl or a teen or at school or just want a good time which if that's the case is fine for you.
Everything else is either not accessable or the plot story is to simple.
Or in the case of sciencegirls does not even start at all.
Blue rose is a good game but that may be it for us on ren py.
Unless that is there is a more grown up standard visual novel list than the main ren py distribution one I am really wandering if I should just not try again it seems like giving up may be the best thing to do.
I have spent 2 days searching for good series to play and have come up short.
I really do want to continue playing interactive books like this.
I'd actually like to play books that are fully voiced with sounds and music really voiced with real actors etc that I can replay again and again.
I am not sure how to write ren py, if it was easy  enough or there was some sort of simple generator for the stories well you could write the stories and choices maybe, and then have the sfx/images etc for events and more choices similar to choiceofgames and or the fighting fantasy project it would really be good.
The other issue is why there is magic and a few super natural hunting games most are for teen or school age.
Blue rose took me the first time a good 5 hours to play a time.
fiddling round took me 1.5 days to beat, I was so involved  I couldn't pull myself away from the game to eat my dinner.
I have never had a sighted game like this before and well now I know others can play it.
This could really be a good engine for game books and the like and semi interactive fiction games with sound, a background music for things etc.
I really do want something like this to become a reality but after looking through 11 years of content I was vary disappointed.
I am trying via doodling with forum registrations and such to email the creators of moewars and seeing if that series can be made accessable.
But if this is not the case I am going to have to put ren py down to a small curiosity only.
That means in short that I won't be buying any more games with it unless they are accessable and I won't be looking at the list that much though I know at least for 2015 up games will should be accessable I really hoped that for the 1000 or so games produced that at least 1 would be good well more than 1.
Last night I downloaded 30 titles that looked interesting and purchiced 3 commercial titles.

I am left with the stuff I started with, pluss an inaccessible strategy guide and 3 soundtracks which themselves are not bad.
Out of the 80 or so bucks I spent only 10 of those actually got me something that was good.
I was hoping for more that's all.
I do wander if others can contact those on ren py and tell them we are playing their stuff and if more full stories could be encouraged to be made accessable with good plots etc if that would be a good idea.
This is a new interactive resource and could be if it was not full of what I guess are mostly experimental titles and the like.
The only other game I liked games were either not accessable or didn't download.
they had a dragnet game  which since I am an otr fan would have liked muchly.

2015-04-27 13:56:21

Oh, I see...
What's Fiddeling round, and did you said it is accessible? Or did I misunderstood something?

Best regards SLJ.

2015-04-27 23:19:20

No fiddling round was what I am doing.
I have a topic in general renpy a possible gaming environment.
Having just been refunded the games I got from winterwolves I can safely say that since I have not got any messages from moewars the only other game I was looking at and with the poor quality of most ren py games on the ren py gaming list even those that are accessable, that right now ren py is not for now a viable gaming platform.
Ofcause I will be looking at the list each year and seeing what takes my fancy with the limited themes ren py seems to encourage.
Ren py will probably be hit and miss.
From my discussion with winterwolves for example while the blind can play straight visual novels with choices the rpg element of the engine especially once interactive buttons and the like are added, is completely a no go for us.
Pluss once the engine is customised for other things its no good.
So we can't use anything bar standard games so we are relying on the story.
I have no idea how to write in ren py but if we could put audio games as visual novels with rpg elements with audio buttons and the like I do wander if they could work in our favour.
Right now though it doesn't look like it matters to much.
Most of the games are quite poor quality and what there is is a bit hit and miss.
I spent 3 days after playing blue rose trying to find something that worked and wanting to play so bad.
I can only assume without saying words like crap and other such things that the engine is still not ready for primetime and as things go we will have to look at it as it goes on.
There is a lot of teen fantasy types of games.
The sad thing is that we as blind can only really play standard visual novels though after I did a little playing I think we can play simple rpgs to like the unknowns series.
We can't play exploration or full graphical games sadly even if they have good voice supports.
Still I do wander how hard it is to write ren py games especially if you are a pythoner since ren py is just a python/ java port so in theory if you know either of those it should be able to be written.
It uses pygame and sdl as core libraries  and is free itself.
The download gives you windows mac and Linux out of the box and editers jedit and standard as well as ios and android can be downloaded and installed as free packages along with the sdks and tutorials and samples so that's most of the work done for you.

2015-07-11 04:32:28

This sounds interesting and I will have to check it out. I don't know much about Steam and thought that platform was only usable for mac computers and not windows, which is what I have, so glad you can get it from the site directly.