2013-01-05 02:18:14

Hi,
I downloaded steam and it doesn't seem to be accesible, yet I herd people playing games on steam who are blind.
Like a fighting game that i wanted to try. I can't remember  what it's called though.
Could anyone help?
Thanks.

I'm gone for real :)

2013-01-05 13:13:14

The game you talk about is most likely Karateka. This game is also available on iOS systems.

2013-01-05 13:34:15

Hi,
no that wasn't the game i was talking about, but it sounds cool.
I think you can download steme games to your pc and blind people have managed to use steam. i'd like to no how though. because even if i can't play all the games, there are some that sound good and even those that I can't play, well at least i can punch and kick and... die in a interesting way,right? smile

I'm gone for real :)

2013-01-05 17:00:35

I have tryed it, it appears to be intirely not accessible. I think it's a rather complex looking interface. I even tryed some ocr on it, and no go.

2013-01-06 03:38:02 (edited by BlackBird 2013-01-06 03:39:31)

Steam is a very special beast. It is basically a Webbrowser that only displays Steam Websites with special plugins and scripts. Problem is, that this does not adhere to the standards other browsers and ordinary websites use. It is based on IE9 but in it's own customized window and implementation. Proprietary technology that doesn't work with anything else.

Sadly steam is not accessible at all as mentioned by arqmeister. The new Big Picture or TV mode mode is even worse unless you have a bit of vision left in which case it might be useful.

However, desura seems to be accessible. Desura is an alternative to steam and has many of the smaller games, like casual stuff and indies you can find on steam. Unfortunately you won't find the big games from the big publishers there but instead they have a lot of completely free games to play of which quite a few seem to be accessible just fine. You can find it here: http://www.desura.com