2011-10-23 03:48:29

Not sure if the sound buffer bugs you mentioned were supposed to be fixed in this update so you may already know about this. These are the last lines in my debug log.

error in makesound: Invalid procedure call or argument
C:\Users\Helen\games\Swamp\sounds\bulletimpact2.wav 1025.64 -5.00089859729998E-04 -1

Ah, these types of games thoroughly creep me out, and yet I insist on trying to play them. I never bought Shades of Doom because I knew I would never force myself to get all the way through the game. big_smile

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 05:38:53

hey aprone, its dj rockmaster rob. Man you should place this game on your sight, the reason i say this is cause when i downloaded the game from the latest link, i get invallid zip errors all the way. Il try downloading it one more time and report back if i get any errors again, it almost looks like the file didnt download all the way.

I no longer use skype like I used to, so feel free to follow me on twitter at rockmasterrob for updates, to chat and all that good stuff. I follow any and everybody back who follows me.

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 06:49:15

That was happening to me not too long ago with Castaways. I suspect the problem was my internet being awful. I eventually got it to work by starting the download again if it finished but the file was smaller than it should have been (somehow this actually worked...).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 07:48:19

On average it seems to be taking me about 6 or 7 shots to kill each zombie.  I haven't done a lot of testing with it though, so I'm sure my zombie killing skills will improve once I've had more practice.

I was just writing on Klango about how I really didn't end up with any time to work on the code today.  As far as I know, I will have a good sized chunk of free time sunday that I can use to repair this annoying bug that keeps crashing the game for people.  So look forward to a fix soon.  Once things are stable I can start tossing in new features that will help flesh out the game, like quests or more detailed maps.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

Thumbs up +1

2011-10-23 14:19:00

Hi Aprone.

The new version is much better in terms of getting out of the shack, but the targiting stil seems very difficult, in that however centered the zombi is, it doesn't get hit for some reason. You might considder adding some sort of rpactice targit to try mouse centering from a stationary position on just to learn how centered things need to be to hit them. Also the second time I tried the game it closed like before which might well be the buffer problem rearing it's uggly head once again.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-10-23 16:44:56

I wonder if the sound of zombies getting hit isn't too quiet compared to the shooting sound?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 17:01:52

Possibly, i'm never sure when i'm hitting a zombi or indeed if I am at all, and thus far I've only managed one or two kills and that only by going mad with the gun.

Even when the zombi was in front of me slashing me to death it didn't seem to be damaged when hit.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-10-23 17:32:34

I think another issue is that when a zombie starts attacking you, it's hard to tell where the attack is coming from.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 18:07:39

o my dear lord,
aprone
this is fantastic
if you fix the sound buffering  error, i.e. when a zombie gets close enough to attack, the game stops,
but that time, i got 6 kills
its really, really good!
i'd like to congratulate you, i even did it with my touchpad!

2011-10-23 18:23:20

I'm about to start my big block of free time, so I've been skimming through everyone's posts and emails so that I know what I need to be working on.  I think I will mess around with the sound when zombies get shot and make it louder.  CAE might be right about that being a problem of the louder sound drowning out the quieter one.  I'm also going to try adding some sort of beep that will let you know when you are on target with the zombies.  That will make the game so much easier that I'm a little reluctant to add it, but it can always be removed or changed later if it ends up removing the challenge too much.  The direction of the attacks gets confusing because I forgot to code in a bounding box for your main character.  Because of that little oversight, the zombies that attack you literally walk right into you as if you were a ghost, and then the attacking sounds are perfectly on top of you instead of being to the sides and so forth.  I should be able to fix that pretty easily.

Thanks Robla, can this be considered evidence that with practice the game gets more fun?  lol.  I was going to ask if your mouse made aiming easier, but it seems like you're even doing well with the touch pad!  That's impressive to me since I'm terrible at using my touchpad and always choose the mouse instead.

And of course, the number one thing I need to work on are these lousy bugs that keep crashing the game.  I feel a little like kicking myself with all of this, because I decided not to use the working sound buffer code from my other games.  I went to copy it and decided I would rather write new code from scratch because this game had a few things that would have forced me to modify the code anyway.  I'm starting to wish I had just used the one that I've already worked the bugs out from past games.  Oh well, once this one if fixed and bug free I'll stop kicking myself.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 18:57:33

Hello all,

@Aprone, one more gem, thank you!

May I suggest a more fps like a s d w navigation? Sadly, if you're not left handed, its a bit uncomfortable to use the arrows plus the mouse.
Then I think the radars could be moved to maybe alt+a, s, d and w.
Also, since we have no vertical aiming, maybe the mouse wheel could be used to set your movement speed, i.e. scroll up once to creep, one more to walk, etc.

If possible, I'd vote for a somewhat quicker reload. At the moment you can fire for a really long time without reloading, which imho makes lots of people careless. About 10 bullets would make it a bit more challenging, I think.

For those who use the keyboard, I think itd be more comfortable to use the control key or the space bar to fire, in which case the mute key'd have to be moved to something else, e.g. control.

Once again, huge thanks for this, its really appreciated!

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 19:02:22

everytime I hit the swamp.exe file, it soes nothing at all, anyone know why this is?

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 19:35:04

its efinitely becoming more fun!
11 kills with my touch pad, and i didn't get hit once, the game just crashed again.
A couple of things you might wanna look at!
when your injured friend  is speaking (i dont know who he might be)
if you then go out, and get killes straight away, his voice doesn't stop, so when you restart you have multiple friends smile
another thing, is, there is a cult45 sound in the  folder,
do we get to use that gun?
great work, as always

2011-10-23 21:52:59

I've just posted version 0.4b.  I would really appreciate it if everyone would download it and give it a try.  The sooner people start testing it, the sooner I will know if I've successfully fixed the bugs.  I'd like to make the most out of my free time today, so if I can get feedback quickly it will give me the most time to continue working.

Here are the changes from version 0.3b to 0.4b:
- Your bullets do a bit more damage.  On average I was killing zombies in about 3 or 4 hits.
- The sounds for shooting walls, shooting zombies, and killing zombies have been greatly improved and are much easier to tell apart.
- The gun only holds 20 bullets now, instead of 40.
- When the game begins, you are already facing the door of the shack.  Some people were having trouble getting out and asked for this adjustment.
- When a zombie is killed, it used to be replaced by a new one that would crawl on to the map from one of the edges.  Now a killed zombie is replaced by 2 new zombies!  This means that as you rack up a higher kill count, you are also populating the swamp with more zombies.  This will make the game naturally increase in difficulty as you play.  It also makes it more dangerous to make a lot of noise.  Having 3 zombies hear at once you isn't so bad, but having 15 hear you could be the last thing you ever do.
- The Z key for shooting, and the F key for toggling the aim, have been switched.  You now press Z to toggle aiming, and press F to fire the gun.
- The arrow keys for moving, and the W A S D keys for radar, have been switched.  You now use the arrow keys to activate the different radar modes, and you use W A S D to move around.  People did not care for the old keyboard layout because it was more difficult to utilize mouse aiming while trying to operate the arrow keys.
- The Readme file has been updated with these changes as well.

The download link is the same, but here it is for the sake of convenience.
www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/Swamp.zip

- Aprone
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 22:10:52

all works, 14 kills first atempt, absolutely brilliant

2011-10-23 22:45:04

wow, I can finally kill something! lol

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 22:53:23

Glad to hear you guys can play it now without the bugs.  I happened upon another problem completely by accident, and it's so strange that it's worth mentioning.  While looking through the list of errors people have sent, I noticed that people began to fall in to 2 categories.  One group seemed to get just about any sound file randomly causing the errors, which is how I narrowed it down to a sound buffer problem.  The other group however, seemed to only get errors on 5 different files.  The latest 0.4b update didn't help them and I just figured out why.  Those 5 files were all sounds I downloaded from the internet, and when I checked they are all using some odd audio codec that none of the other files use.  I did some tests and if the user doesn't have that specific audio codec on their computer, the game crashes when one of those 5 sounds tries to play.  I ran them all through a converter to get rid of the odd codec and the problem seems to be fixed.  So if you're one of those people who still get errors even in version 0.4b, stay tuned for another update that will replace those 5 sound files.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 22:56:27

Hi Aprone.
First let me say that I have tried the latest version of this game after reading through all the posts and I am happy to report no bugs on my end.
Now I have a question and maybe a suggestion. Would you consider putting in a way to recover your health? Or would that take away from the game. and my suggestion is this:
Maybe after someone gets a certain amount of kills, they could maybe find a machine gun or something like that. Just a thought Even without those things the game is still  great!

Audio game king

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 23:32:12

Seems like I get a lot of ghost zombies. I'll set up a recording that you can all listen to and tell me if it's just my aiming that sucks, or if it is really the game.

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 23:37:01

Hi,

I'm in love with the FPS genre. I don't know why, I just find, if they're well done, them the most enjoyable to play.
This one is definitely fun. Didn't take me long at all to pick it up and start playing to a point where it actually was fun. thanks for the game! ^_^

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-10-23 23:54:53

Omar, before even hearing a recording I might have a theory about your ghost zombies.  I also ran some tests because I thought there was some kind of glitch.  I was standing next to the shack and was hearing the zombie walking through the water on the other side of it.  So I probably fire 30 bullets toward the sound until I realized I was shooting the side of the building.  I need to put in a new sound that is easier to tell that you're shooting into a wall.

Ghorthalon, I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed the game so far.  It is still very basic and has very little that you can do, but I'm already working on ways to add features on.  I think my first addition will be missions that your friend will give you.  That will make it feel more like a real game since you will be working to complete various objectives to move the story along.  Oh yeah, I guess that means I need to work on a story.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

2011-10-23 23:59:11

Hi there,

being a game developer myself I assumed this much already. If you should ever need help with story or anything, feel free to get in touch. I could probably provide some backstory, maybe add my ideas as to what and why this is happening. God, I'm already fighting with ideas...

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-10-24 00:13:02

... Pro wrestler zombies? ...? tongue smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up

2011-10-24 00:17:46

oh,
just  to add!
having had near on 50 kills, i can safely say having a beep would make the game too easy!

2011-10-24 00:23:42

Hi,

Though most people prefer a targeting system of some kind in those games, personally I don't. Whenever possible I'd turn them off to get the full experience. Also, for example in SOD, the constant beeping totally ruins the atmosphere, of whichh the game has very little anyway.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.