2011-03-24 23:36:25

hi aprone.
wow, fantastic project, good job man.
i haven't tried the program yet, but i'm planning to do it tomorrow if i have
some time available.
one suggestion: in the future, are you going to add options for the combat, rpg elements like
stats that you can define, etc?

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-03-24 23:53:18

Drg, I'd like to implement something similar to the way ffproject.com automatically tracks your stats and dice rolls, but I'm not really sure how to go about it since the end result is just a series of html files.  I'll probably have to use a master page and frame the others inside of it, but honestly I've never done this type of stat tracking on a web page before when it was just random page files.  tongue

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 00:02:59

hello,
realy like this, but the main thing that is agrivating is go back and forthe trying to figure out page numbers and such, and i was wondering if you could make a comand to write the text in the program, not just the description but the text for the reading perpose of figuring out where you are and such, because so far i don't have the patients to slow myself down in the project and go to one text file at a time and write in the text, so was wondering if you could make it like the description where you just write it in there. also, is it possible to make it screenreader friendly? maybe not but it uses sapi and i can not interupt the speach and so it goes on and on for everything i go over and its quite confusing at times.
thanks, and great job so far!

don't look back, cause you'll loose the road ahead.

2011-03-25 00:13:50

Austen, have you been using the Shift+Enter command to open the text file for you?  The reason I am keeping the story elements separate is because the story will likely be many paragraphs long.  If someone has to type out anything that long, I wanted to make sure they could use whichever typing methods they are already used to using.

I'll keep the screen reader idea in mind.  I don't have a screen reader to test with so when I add the feature I'll have to rely on you guys to let me know if it works or not.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 00:18:31

hmm, if a webpage is a bit hard to implement it what about using a program
with files in a specific formate like *.gmb or something like that,
then you could do all these things.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-03-25 00:24:26

I think the reason html files were originally suggested is so that they can be easily posted online for everyone to view.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 00:40:00

that's true, but with the other option, peraps it could be even named diferently
peoples could create entire text rpg games, with multiple choices, combat system, equipment,
lots of ideas.. and seeing that you develope things so fast i don't know
if it would take lots of time for you to create something like this.
yes, it's not easy, but on my opinion it would totaly rock.
i mean there are no good text rpg's, there are some like world
of legends, but the random factor is almost 0 and
other games are just hard to find, and using only text it's easyer to create
a rpg game.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-03-25 00:58:05

Version 0.5b is posted and it allows you to switch between Sapi output and your current screen reader.  Use TAB to switch.  Like I said earlier, I don't have the different screen readers so you guys will have to let me know if it works properly with them.

Drg, I'll look into using a program to read finished stories rather than just having them save as html files.  Perhaps I will let people still have the option to output as HTML files but also let them set it up to run from a special reader program that tracks stats and dice rolls for them.  I have a few ideas for how to blend it all together well, but I can't say for sure yet if I'm going to go that route.

Please download the newest version and let me know if your screen readers work with it.  Thanks guys big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 01:09:23 (edited by keyIsFull 2011-03-25 01:10:28)

I also want a kind of if statemenet thing, like, if you pick up the weapon do this, and if you don't do this, but you're saying just make new sections, but let's say the weapon comes in useful a whole bunch of sections later. Who'd want to create a duplicate for each choice? Not me.
Edit: Also, make an updater. You're pushing out the updates just as fast or even faster than towers of war updates came. I don't feel like downloading all of them. I'm too lazy. I'd rather have a program do it for me.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-03-25 01:34:57

KeyIsFull, I think those kinds of limitations come with the nature of a game book rather than building a video game.  When we start getting in to scripting events, I believe we would have left the realm of "game books" and crossed the line into a game creation tool.  If I find a simple way to straddle the line I will, but most scripting ideas would require me to clearly cross that line and do tremendous recoding.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 01:41:59

Hi aprone.

I'm afraid I'm less keen on a couple of suggestions people have made.

Firstly, as regards text descriptions being titles, I'd very much prefer to have them remain as personal descriptions only.

it's certainly not usual in most gamebooks for each page to have a title, and while for some pages, ---- eg room names, it makes sense, for others, eg a conversation choice it doesn't.

For instance if in a section your offering the player choices in a conversation, --- what should the title be? ---- partly through talking?

To me, having the titles visible would just make them less useful as personal markers, especially sinse I've tended to write titles that are helpful to me rather than to the player such as swimming choice or death.

if people want this feature, perhaps add it as an option which may be enabled or disabled?

For screen reader support, i'm personally far happier with things as they are, --- and sinse nobody has ever managed to come up with hal support anyway, sapi is fine with me (anyway it makes it far easier to switch betwene files and the program than it would if I kept having to turn Hal on and off).

As regards a stats system implemented as some sort of backend to the system, I myself would personally like things left as open ended as possible so that a gamebook author is left to device his/her own rules.

The ffproject system uses the rules from the fighting fantasy books, which are extremely symple, but can't show very much.

For instance, the large, propper gamebook I've been planning is set in a city where reputation and social status are crucially important.

thus, as well as your bog standard tests of strength and skill that you'd get on ffproject, you also have a social stat which may be tested at any time, and may recieve a hole bunch of penalties or extra points depending upon who you speak to and even whatyour wearig.

Also, there is a reputation stat which begins at 5, ad may rise or fall throughout the book. If your reputation is higher you'll recieve plusses to social checks, but also how high or low your reputation stat is will ultimately determine the ending of the story.

While I've always wanted to write a text rpg, part of that for me is deigning my own mechanics. While in a gamebook you are limited to what the user can conveniently roll and add up, this stil does allow a fair degree of freedom, and I wouldn't like to see this changed.

I do know some people have reffused to play gamebooks unless! they have a backend stats system, but to me this is just doing yourself out of a lot of fun, ---- pluss is absolutely no problem to anyone who's tabletop roleplayed.

I think realistically if you were going to add a stats system, for me it would have to be extremely flexible so that the player could effectively completely defign all it's behaviour.

Something like this:

1: defign a number of core stats attributed to the player, ie, player attributes.

2: allow the creator in each section to alter those stats either perminantly (ie, by wearing or buying equipment), or temporarily, ie, by buffs.

3: allow the game creator to set a number of variables tied to each given section, eg, combat value or numbers against which character attributes or other stats will be tested.

4: include some basic numeric opperations, such as pluss, minus, greater than or less than and a random number generator approximating dice rolls, which could be done on either the character stats or variables.

5: let the user defign consequences of numeric operations in terms of either a, going to a given section, or b, addition of text to the character sheet.

6: allow the user to create a repeat operation link on a given page set whether this repeats once only, or needs multiple presses until another consequence occurs.

7: have all this run through a relatively logical scripting language with each set of scripting at each given section, with core values at the start (say, you hit ctrl t to open script commands at each given section).

I would think the scripting would look something like this:

introductory section:
Character stats.

stat1 name =  strength, value = 1D6+10.
Stat2 name= skill value =1d6+10.
Stat3 name =endurence value =1D10+10.

Then we go to a section where you fight something.

Variable1 name =troll's combat skill value=10.
variable 2 name = trolls endurance value=10.

Operation name = fight troll.
If stat1+D6>variable1+D6
Variable 2-D6.
Ifstat1+D6< variable 1+D6,
Stat3-D6.

Repeat.

If variable1=0 go to section troll dead.
If stat1=0 go to section player dead.

this is how I would imagine an rpg engine scripting a basic fight with a troll comparing the players' strength to the trolls with a D6 modifyer.

There are other things you could add, for instance add a go to section player runaway command, or give the player different combat moves with different modifyers to use.

buying items could be done with a non repeating reduce player gold, add item (and stat boosts). command.

this could be used to create an rpg as symple, or as complex as a player could want, indeed by doing lots of mucking about with variables per section and character stats, you could add things like experience levels, or even a skills system.

Essentially any rpg stats system reduces to interactions betwene two sets of numbers, players' initial stats and variables in given situations, which is why I thought a scripting parza like this would work.

i'd certainly love a project of this sort, it would let me realize my personal ambition of creating a text rpg, but my point is, this is the sort of thing I'd want if the gamebook creator was to include a stats system, ---- something which lets the creator defign their own mechanics using a basic scripting language.

other than this, i'd prefer to leave things as is with the gamebook standbye of allowing the author to create their own stats system through giving the player some rules to follow with basic dice rolling and additions and subtractions.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-03-25 01:57:45 (edited by Aprone 2011-03-25 02:05:27)

Well Dark, I've been playing around with things and I agree with the points you bring up.  I do believe the section summaries should not become the page titles so I will be switching that back.  I'd imagine the page titles should all just be the name of the book/story so I'll think up a way to let people set that somewhere.  Maybe I'll make it an option so that people who want it can still have section summaries show up as the page titles.

If I do end up putting in a stat system (and i'm not sure if I will yet) then it would be completely optional.  I agree that the author needs complete freedom in design and it would be nearly impossible to code anything that wouldn't eventually limit someone with their ideas.

I left the screen reader optional, so you can use TAB to decide whether you want to use Sapi or not.  Dark, would you mind seeing if my code works with Hal?  I'm just curious to know if I coded it well enough to work on all the different screen readers you guys use.

EDIT:
I've uploaded v0.6b which changes how the webpage titles work.  If you press F1 while holding Shift then each page's title will match each section's summary.  If you press F1 without holding shift, each page's title will be equal to the summary on the initial starter section.  By default, this is named "Introduction" so you may want to change it to be the name of your story before creating the HTML files.  Hopefully this will let people put titles on their pages, but also lets everyone use it how they want.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 02:11:39

The screen reader support works great with NVDA.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2011-03-25 04:05:40

After having a think about it, I do actually think an rpg creator with a scripting language tied to each section modifying variables as I described, andadding buttons to the sections to play with those variables (pluss of course a character sheet who's link appeared on each section and which could be altered as needed with it's own set of charater stats), would be pretty possible, but it would be a very complex project indeed, albeit one I'd love to see formulated, sinse as I said, making a text rpg has always been something of an ambition of mine, ----- I even have a detailed cobat system worked out to make combat interesting.

I'll test the new version of the gamebook program and see what I can do.

Actually key is full, you'd be surprised what you can do in a gamebook just with textual instructions to the player.

To take your weapon example, simply say on a given page "do you choose to take the sword?"

Then, either give the sword some statistical bennifit which the player could roll in combat situations, eg, if you have thesword add 3 to your combat skill, or if it's bennifit isn't combat based, simply add a single section "if you have the sword" to each of your sections, with a link back to your initial section afterwards.

for instance, you come to a crossroads, which way do you go? then links to all the different roads and another saying if you have the sword go here.

Then a section saying "the sword points you to the north, ---- go back and make your choice"

Shards of moonlight and indeed almost all the lone wolf books (when you use skills like sixth sense and hunting), have sections very much like this.

Generally structuring your gamebook to vary the players' choices is part of being a good author.

Eddit: Okay, have now given the updates a bash. i like the title system, having the title of the book seems just right to me.

As regard compatibility with Hal, actually yes, sinse it's only bog standard text and doesn't rely on auto output, it does in fact work with hal fine, which is rather nice.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-03-25 08:56:15

I've already begun experimenting with a few ways I might handle the program.  I think I also have an idea for handling scripting when the files are opened with the program, but having the files still function like normal HTML files in case someone would prefer to just post their story as a webpage.

I wanted to know if background music would be a good addition.  I'm 99% sure I can just let you toss an mp3 file into the folder and let the program handle the necessary framing so the song doesn't restart each time the reader follows a choice to a new page.  It might be neat for a story to include some type of ambient background music that fits the theme.  I might be wrong about the idea though since music could be a distraction rather than an improvement.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 08:58:30

We might want different background music for different sections. Also, how'd you be able to add in the bg music if you saved as an html, or or that feature won't be supported for html's?

2011-03-25 09:09:59

The background music will work even if they are just HTLM files.  I guess I'll need to have 2 settings for the music.  The first option will allow you to use different music on different pages if you want, but the disadvantage to that method is that the songs will start over whenever the reader clicks on a choice link.  Even if the songs match between pages, it would still restart itself.

The other method solves the music restarting problem, but it also means there would be only 1 mp3 file so you would have the same music through out the story.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 09:16:55

The music issue might be a nice idea, though to me that is more similar to a fully scripted rpg than a gamebook, and I'd probably want other things first such as a scriptable stats or item system.

Stil, could be fun!

As for the Business of html pages running scripting, well if all the scripting were output into a file such as a dat file you could pass around with the html pages, this would be fine in terms of making the rpg distributable.

Even if the down side is you couldn't run it on a website, the up side would be a completely playable text rpg with scripted commands run on yourcomputer as a bunch of html files.

This is afterall how I'm guessing most of the gamebooks will be distributed.

My first test gamebook is progressig nicely, now up to 40 sections with lots of randomness, though it now has a clearly defigned structure and I have a logical en in mind.

2011-03-27 16:05:40 (edited by Aprone 2011-03-27 16:08:10)

Just to keep everything in one place, CAE_Jones suggested I add support for headers and footers, so expect to gain that feature soon.  I'll also add in the music support.  Basically I'm waiting for a nice spot to stop coding Daytona for 15 minutes so I can jump over to DarkGrue to make the changes rofl!  big_smile

I'm still pondering ways of handling more advanced scripting, but for now that idea is on the back burner.  Dark, I'm looking forward to reading your finished story!  Actually I have a feeling a good number of stories are going to start popping up now that several people are writing.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-27 16:57:58

I've updated DarkGrue to version 0.7 which adds 3 new features.  Both a header.txt and a footer.txt file exist now in the DarkGrue directory (if not, just run the program and it will create them for you automatically).  If you want a header or footer added to each story page, put any text or html into these files and it will be there when you compile.  Not everyone will use this feature, but I'm sure some will.

Next is music.  For now I've only added the option for a single piece of music that will play through out your story.  You can not yet set different music for different pages of your story.  I was sad to learn that Firefox does not like background music, so for now, only people viewing your story with Internet explorer will hear the background music.  Adding the music is simple, just rename your mp3 file "music.mp3" and put it into the DarkGrue folder.  When you press F1 to compile your story, the program will check to see if a music file is present.  If so, it does all the necessary page framing and even moves a copy of the mp3 into the output folder so you can't accidentally forget it.

When adding the background music feature, I knew at least some people would wonder what kind of music would even work in these stories.  Clearly you don't want to distract from the story being read.  I took the liberty of uploading a collection of songs from the PC game morrowwind.  They came to mind when I was asking myself this question and they almost all seem ideal for use as background music.  For anyone who wants to check them out, here is the link.
www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/morrowwindmusic.zip

Sorry about the double post.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-27 17:11:10

Well I acquired a cold so spent most of yesterday feeling lousy so didn't get much done, but I hope to have it finished in the next couple of days at least.

I do feel a bit sad now I didn't start with a stats system, now that the thing is sort of being more serious than I thought, ---- but so it goes, and I certainly have ideas for something more serious later.

As to formatting and headers and such and such, what formatting were you thinking of? and how would it differ from html.

The reason I ask is that I plan to include a lexican in my first propper gamebook. I was just going to use the usual html <ul> command, but if your thinking of something else let me know.

One feature I would like to see is the ability to create a contents page for secondary material asside from the first story link, rather like the links to the rules, introduction and appendicies in Windhammer.

You could probably do this with the existinng gamebook link setup, but creating back to start links and then having a bunch of contents links at the start of your tree would be a bit cumbersome.

Perhaps have ctrl a (for appendix), or ctrl b (for back link), create you an auto one choice section with a "back" link which only goes to the previous entry (though obviously make the back link renameable).

Actually this could also come in handy anywhere you wanted a hole bunch of single pages off one entry, such as say a bunch of item descriptions on one page like  a shop, or a room with four different treasure chests to open which each contain something.

You can of course do it now by ctrl c the current page, create a choice, then paste, then rename and go back to the original, but this can get a litle tedius if you've got a hole bunch of entries on the same page to do.

2011-03-27 17:34:53

First off, sorry about your cold Dark.  I know what you mean about the growing story, I tried to toss together a tiny sample early on and it quickly grew and grew and grew!  I deleted the whole thing accidentally though... which was the inspiration to having to hold down SHIFT and escape rather than just escape to delete an entire project ROFL!  big_smile

Headers and Footers use plain HTML or even javascript if you want.  Absolutely anything you would normally use when making a web page should work fine, as long as you type it correctly of course.  I don't pretend to know what you guys will eventually do so I'm trying to make everything as open ended as possible.

I've read through twice but I admit I'm a little lost on your contents page idea.  I thought I was following it but about halfway through I started doubting my understanding of it.  How about a frame along the left side of the page that is always present with links even as you progress through the story?  Maybe I could just have those links open a separate tab/window so you'd never have to leave your place in the story?  If these ideas don't seem to make sense, it is probably because I'm not understanding the request.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-27 18:06:00

What about using some javascript for the stat tracking? I guess it would work.. though I never worked that much with js so I may be missing something.
When you make a new section and don't rename it, it's blank. the problem is then it says "blank" in the page title. Could we possibly be able to change that so that we could force the page title to be the title of our book or some such?
BTW nice job about the screen reader support. Because you're just modding the title bar this actualy really works great with braille displays.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-03-27 18:29:22

Pitermach, are you sure you're using the most updated version?  A few versions ago it would use the summary as the page titles, but it shouldn't anymore.

I haven't really worked with javascript that much either.  I think the biggest difficulty is trying to track the js variables across multiple pages while you progress through the story.  If someone has a good way of doing this, please send it my way and I'll gladly try to incorporate it into the program.

Thanks Pitermach, I was hoping that trick would work.  I've seen so many posts about unsupported screen readers in other games that I was worried to even open that door and include screen reader support in my stuff.  Since I'd never used one myself, I went to youtube to find examples of people using screen readers.  The thing they all seemed to have in common was that they first read the window's title bar, so that gave me the idea.  I'm sure there is code to output messages to the different types of screen readers, but I figured I'd just talk to windows and hope the screen readers themselves knew what to do.  It paid off as a very simple way to make it work with multiple screen readers.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-27 18:56:01

Well, I'm most likely not using the newest version, lol.
If you ever need to test something with a screen reader, consider downloading NVDA since it's free, open-source and small. In fact that's what I usually use, though I also bought window-eyes.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>