2010-11-05 03:19:43 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-09 23:47:29)

I've fixed and added several features so feel free to give the beta another try.  I wanted to offer a separate zip with only the new executable and sounds to keep the download small... unfortunately I made a lot of little changes to sounds and I can't remember which were changed.  Because of that I just replaced the whole zip with an updated beta.  In the future i'll try to remember which I change so you don't have to deal with this large download anymore.  tongue

Here is the stuff that's new from the one you've already tried.

- Main menu (when entering the game) *Now more stable yay!*
- Read off current location (right click)
- Keyboard alternative to hear tile's description (left control button)
- Add to the graphical map (full screen, towers, enemies, colors fixed)
- Click to confirm (double clicking now also works for confirming towers and upgrade purchases)
- Better balance so it is now possible to survive past level 2!  lol! big_smile
- Path description (to help users understand the path's layout for a level they are unfamiliar with) (Press E)
- Key to list locations of each tower  (Press R)
- Review mode following each level  (Press G to hear how far the monsters made it along the path before dying)

Like before, please let me know what you think.  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2010-11-05 04:26:51 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-05 04:41:21)

Well lets just say I expected to accomplish a lot more on the game today than I did.  I can't complain too much tough, like you've suggested, I still got a lot done.  Even with the level adjustments it isn't exactly easy lol.  I'm trying not to make it too much easier since there are still at least 2 more tower types (and a tower adjustment) coming that will change the balance a lot by themselves.

I plan to add a tower that doesn't harm the enemies, but rather it cripples them and reduces their walking speed by a certain percent.  As you can imagine, slowing down enemies will let your other towers get more shots in before the monsters get out of range.  The cannon tower will be tweaked so that it actually deals damage over a small area when it attacks.  When this is added, enemies who are close together can all be harmed with a single cannon shot.  Finally I'll be adding a micro-wave tower that does low but constant damage to ALL enemies within range.  It will be best used around corners to maximize the amount of time enemies will be within range.  (Oddly enough, when I try to type micro wave as 1 word the forum replaces it with the word "spam")

Yeah I think most people won't really understand where I want to go with the combat game until I can post a beta for it.  I'll just have to look forward to SHOWING you guys what I mean.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-05 10:15:55

Hi Aprone that's great.

I have some work to do this morning but will hopefullly get to try the game later today.

As to download size, 23 mb is really not a big download at all in audio game terms. sinse many games use wav files, the average size of an audio game is usually about 30 mb or so, some much larger (sarah from pcs games is over 100 mb in size).

i freely admit having an uba fast connection does help, but stil I shouldn't worry about size limits (in fact, having a full zipped beta to download probably saves more hastle in terms of file replacement than it loses in terms of download time).

As regards the monsters, dependingupon how goo the review mode is, it might not even be necessary to display much of the battle with how much and which monsters get shot by the towers.

Say, perhaps just have a start of battle sound (maybe marching feet), for when the monsters begin the attack, a general battle ambience sound to illustrate the monsters' progress then the bell for lives lost.

Afterall, at that stage all the important decisions are made and the player has just to wait while things progress, then review things to see how well they succeeded.

Alternatively, you could use a continuous monster entry sound which plays as long as monsters enter the path, ---- eg, marching feet or tolling bells, then preserve the tower shooting sounds.

eitherway, I will say that some extra battle sounds to, ---- well make it sound more like a battle would be a nice addition.

Bladestorm, I'm afraid I disagree on the action rpg mouse business. It is true that 3D style action games, ---- such as tenchu stealth assassins have featured this method. These however, can quite frequently boarder on being beat em ups even though they may have levels and stats and such.

Games with the top down perspective, such as earlier zelda games or (more recently), Dragon quest or Final fantasy crystal chronicles have not made use of the mouse or indeed the aster analogue gameplay, allowing them to have more of an rpg like system in many ways wit more complex magic, control of multiple characters etc.

I think it would just depend upon where the creater wanted to take the particular gam as to whether a fast action mouse control would be necessary or not.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-05 11:13:33 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-08 22:58:12)

While you've made me feel better about the beta's file size Dark, I think i'll give a smaller download a try (for now).

Since posting the update above, I have added some more features that are worth posting.  If you download this separate zip it contains a few new sounds and an updated executable.  You'll gain the following:
- Micro-wave tower
- Frost tower
- Cannon tower now deals splash damage
- First 10 levels of enemies are working (compared to 6 in the other)

***LINK REMOVED***

**** PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL NEW FILES ARE NOW INCLUDED IN THE ORIGINAL LINK ****

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-05 13:44:19 (edited by aaron 2010-11-05 16:56:42)

Hi,
I'll give this a try in a moment. But, seriously, trying a smaller download will just make things confusing. You might as well have everything in one zip file all the time, then everyone can just extract to the same folder. Otherwise, you end up having towerdefensebeta2, towerdefensebeta3, and who knows, maybe up to 10 or more, i don't know how far you plan to take this game. with the game battle zone, forum user keywasfull just kept on updating the same file to save hastle so people just click the same link. in each update message he always posted the link so that people wouldn't have to scroll up the page.
Hope that helps, and i'm really looking forward to trying it out. Just doing a forum browse then will come back here and download. Will edit this post with my thoughts.
Edit: Ok, I've tried the game. It's quite cool. Oh, and dark, you can upgrade towers by pressing controle when you go back onto a tower, it's like a conferm button.
Then, I've found a bug. When you sell a tower, and press controle on that square, pressing tab doesn't do anything at all, as if it's acting like there's a tower there but it's not even bringing up an upgrade menu, let alone a build menu. This was quite annoying as I was gonna replace a rifal tower with a frost tower.

2010-11-05 15:05:12

Well, I've tried the second beta, and it's certainly more stable, I especially like the maximize option and those really evil monster sounds (all the sounds were also louder which helped), I'm also pleased the various issues are fixed.

The boundary sound is also now more convincing.

The main issue I found was one during the battle. Though the tower firing sounds let you know when monsters were being shot, it wasn't always clear whether monsters had made it past the towers or not, and if so how many.

While visually this is quite visible, in audio terms it's a litle less clear (I tried playing the game with my screen off as well, as I usually do when testing audio games).

Those monster movement sounds are pretty awsome, but th issue is you need to have your curser on the monster to here them.

How about a key press to route the curser to the leading enemy monster? this, combined with the grid movement announcements will let you audibly follow the monster procession and know when it's passing your towers, and whether they get shot down or not, also it'll let you know when the monsters are going to make it off the path and do you damage.

I'm also afraid I have another bug (and quite an irritating one actually).

The upgrade tower menue is only available after first building a tower. What I mean is, if you build a tower and then press tab you'll get the upgrade options, however if you move your curser off the tower and then back on again, pressing tab does nothing. This effectively makes upgrading towers pretty impossible, which means I've got slaughtered every time I get to level 3, sinse basic towers just don't seem effective against those boars (or indeed the giant bugs).

Eddit: okay, after another bash I've noticed that the the skipping rank 2 bug is stil there irritatingly, though it is now possible to read file I.

Buy buying upgrades as soon as I bought towers, and buying lots of low level towers, I made it past the pigs of doom, and indeed the beasts that followed them. However, the next level got me (what is it with those giant bugs!).

while I know your not on balancing issues yet(and anyway without upgrades being possible it's hard to discuss balance), the two gold reward per monster seems a bit stingy, especially with the different monster types, so you get the same amount of gold for taking out a puny ogre as one of those huge mutant beasts. This also means waves with a few, especially tough monsters are far less lucrative than ones with a hoard of faster ones.

So, how about instigating higher bounties for certain monster types?

This also opens the possibility of having especially hard to kill (and possibly randomly appearing ie, there is a chance of them showing up on a given level), bonus monsters which don't damage you but award more gold, ---- for instance a phenix which is super fast and pretty tough, but gives 30 gold if you bring it down.

This would give the game a bit of fun randomness, and also give a way for players to rake in cash.

I'm also not sure where you stand on earning extra lives, ---- especially if the game is going to have 40 or so levels, but this might be another nice feature to add, either from bonus monsters or from completing a tough challenge, such as two waves without spending money.

Alternatively, you could make extra lives perchiceable at some high cost, say 100 gold a life.

Btw, just one question, is the game's official title "tower defense?" or are you going to insert a snazzier one later. This isn't just an idol question, sinse after consulting the fount of all wisdom, aka wikipedia regarding tower defense games, apparently the name "tower defense" has been copywrited by some coorperate scumbags who take exception to people using it in their games (as apparently do aple).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-11-05 17:17:50

Thanks for the answer regarding windows vista and the directx issue. I don't know if version 7 is installed but will have a look for it. Probably a mission mode with a story or something like that would be funny, too.

2010-11-05 17:52:20

Hi niclas.

As usual with windows 7 compatibility, you can try installing jim kitchins winkit file which runs all his games, that installs various vb libraries, ---- and possibly the correct version of direct x as well and fixes compatibility with quite a few older games though I'm not certain if it takes into account direct x sinse I don't have windows 7 myself.

As regards ongoing story or mission mode, ----- hmmm, that strikes me as a bit of an odd thing for this style of game (and tat's from someone who's a plot freak).

A hoard of ogres are attacking the fronteer! a hoard of bugs are attacking the fronteer! a hoard of boars are attacking the fronteer etc.

An intro detailing where you are and why your trying to stop the various enemy legions (with maybe an ending if you do slaughter them all), could be fun, but I can't really imagine much in the way of cutscenes or the like in game at all.

As for variable missions, well presumably when the game has more than one possible map (with maybe a map editer), that will provide enough variety I think, though possibly a mode which throws random numbers and types of monsters at you rather than having preset level contents could be fun as a survival test further down the line.

2010-11-05 18:28:10

Good morning guys smile
As always I'm glad to see a slew of useful observations and suggestions, and a brand new day to try and get them all addressed.

Dark, I was at work and suddenly something hit me about your "tile skipping" problem... are you running the game in windowed mode when that happens?  Back when you first mentioned something about running the game in windowed mode it surprised me a little because I actually designed the game to go full screen automatically and stay that way.  I didn't really think about it again until work last night, but that's when it occurred to me that the Reason I'd programmed it to go full screen is that the endless mouse thing I did depends on the game size matching your screen resolution.  If playing the game in a window, I can totally see how it might mess up the coordinate system and even skip rows or columns.  Let me know if this might be the case.

Well you guys have totally convinced me now... from this point on all updates will just overwrite the existing towerdefensebeta.zip.  I've already made the change online (so anyone new can just download the 1 zip).

Aaron, thanks for catching that dead-spot when you sell a tower and try to build again.  I'll be sure to fix that!

A key to follow the leading monster?  Hmmm.  I suppose this is worth trying since you're right, there isn't a way to know how many are left.  Originally I was putting in a voice to call out monster's remaining (like how it tells gold earnings) but removed it once large monster groups simply filled up every second with the voice.  The situation where you move focus off and back on a tower but can't press tab sounds similar enough to Aaron's post that I suspect the same code bug is causing both.  Hopefully I can fix both of these at the same time.

The generic name "Tower defense" was just a working title, but since the name is copyrighted it is good to know I HAVE to change it lol!  This will keep me from just getting lazy and leaving it as is.  Good catch on that Dark, i'd hate to have some company causing me trouble later on.

I don't plan on letting the player ever earn, or buy, extra lives.  I think that would be straying too far from tradition (none i've played allow you to do that).  I do, however, think i'll break tradition to allow players to save the game at any time.  Given the more difficult nature of an audio game, I think it is entirely justified.  As weird as it sounds, mainstream tower defense games are designed to make the player start all the way back at level 1 if they are killed.  The constant returning to level 1 (out of possibly 40-60 levels to win) not only allows, but forces players to slightly tweak their overall strategy.  Players here will always have the option to start fresh to make changes, but I see no harm in letting people load a saved game in order to skip the first X levels they KNOW they wouldn't want to do differently.

Oh I almost forgot... money earned while killing monsters gradually increases from level to level.  Obviously I have a lot of balancing to do, but currently there are monsters who offer up much larger rewards (Golems are worth $200 each if you can kill them).

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-05 20:35:46

Will more tower types and more enemy types be included in future versions?

2010-11-05 21:04:36

Hi.

amusing to get a good morning message when it's after six in the evening over here ;D.

Anyway thanks Aaron, I didn't realized that to perchice upgrades for towers you had to click on them with the control key, I assumed that just pressing tab on a tower would be enough, thanks for the clearing that. I have noticed though that you can't directly build one tower ontop of another, tab does nothing.

perhaps a sell tower or dismantle tower command is needed? (I'm not sure how mainstream tower defense games handle this one).

The save game feature does sound helpful though.

I've had the game full screen ever sinse you installed the option in beta 2, for some reason though, the error doesn't seem to be coming up at this point though it did earlier. I'll let you know if it comes up again.

Thanks to Aaron telling me about upgrades, I have however noticed one other miner issue.

After viewing a tower's upgrade info but not perchicing upgrades, the game shows towers as having the same damage etc as if you'd bought the upgrades. What's worse, is that this goes across all towers, so if you upgrade a frost tower to level 3 where it's doing 40 damage but no other towers, the game will say that rifle towers do 32 damage, and then if you look at the upgrades for the frost tower again even without perchicing, the game will say in the build menue that frost towers do 50 damage and rifle towers do 64.

What's even moe confusing is that this effect persists over different games until you buy a new upgrade, ---- I'm guessing that this sis simply an issue with the appropriate number sound not resetting correctly.

i can confirm that the physical upgrades work as they shuld, eg, upgrading a rifle tower without upgrading a frost tower wo't alter the frosttower's damage even though the game claimes it does, so it's just the announcements that run into difficulty.

for monster death announcement how about having the game simply speak the number of monsters blown up as each one goes down, this would probably actually be far more useful information than your continually rising gold amount (the bounty for each monster could be included in the description of next level instead, for instance "five ogres at 2 gold" ).

2010-11-05 21:15:11

Dark, I think you're right about the sound not resetting itself correctly... I'm looking in to it.  Thanks for catching it!  To sell towers you have to click (or control) on them and it tell you to backspace to sell.  Towers can't be built on top of other towers.

I'm also looking in to changing the earning announcements to a "monsters killed" message.  I think you might be on to a really good idea with that.

I have company coming over so I don't think i'll be able to get much more work done today.  *Sigh* seems like I didn't get much done today... well nothing really "tangible" that I can share with you guys.  It's been a lot of bug hunting and code organization today.  tongue  Have you guys gotten up to the 10th level yet?  I'm just curious.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-06 00:18:22

i can't get past level 3 relaly. i need some general tips on how to play, really. where do towers fire? is it best to put, at the beginning, say, 3 rifal towers next to each other (i found this worked really well), or is there some other, better method?

2010-11-06 01:06:54

Up near B7, C7, and D7 the path is really close to itself.  There is actually only 1 tile separating the path below from the pathway above.  If you place towers there, they will be able to reach monsters as they travel up and to the right... and then they can reach them again as they travel back to the left.  This is a good place to put some towers because they get almost twice as much exposure to the monsters.  I usually put my most powerful (upgraded) towers in these spots.  Towers that naturally have longer range, like the sniper tower, are a little wasted in those spots though since they can easily reach multiple spots on the path in other places.  Hopefully that helps.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-06 01:33:35

hello aprone. i have some bugs to report.
first, when you start the game and try to move, getting the "end of grid" sound as a result,
when you manage to find a position, ex: a10, the same sound keeps playing, even exiting back to
the main menu didn't fixed it. it's not top priority, but i guess it would be good to have it
fixed at some point. next thing is that even when you finish a game the sounds of that
particular game still play in the main menu, i guess it's because you just
added it yesterday.
and i think that with 40 levels, it would be needed to have a way of getting some lives when
killing some enemyes, for example bonus or harder ones, as dark pointed out, it will be almost
impossible to beat without it i guess. even if it's just a totaly new mode to make some things
different from the usual.
and i'd like to know, where is the location of your base? i didn't managed to figure it out.
i love the sounds used when firing at the monsters, the sound of then screaming, etc.
everything fits ok here. are you going to add more towers in the future? thanks very much!

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2010-11-06 01:39:24

sorry for the double post, but i noticed one more bug when playing again.
sometimes when you go outside the grid and ear the specific wall sound and when you come back
to it, apparently some squares are removed. let's say i'm in a10.
i keep going down until i ear the sound to represent
that i'm in the wall. when i go up or left then up, i notice that there's a1, but a2 is being
removed, it automaticaly jumps to a3. it happens in the other coluns too.
HTH.
good luck!
i'm still learning to play the game, since i never played a similar game before, but i'm
getting the hang of it and love it.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2010-11-06 03:34:31

Drg, I'm not quite sure what is causing the sound issues yet but I will keep looking.  I'm starting to think that under just the right circumstances it is failing to load up a new sound so it continues to play one from before.  It's just a task of tediously checking each line of code until I spot the problem.  tongue  Company stayed all day so I didn't get anything fixed that I wanted to fix today... and sadly it is almost time for me to go to work, arg.

I might change my mind later, but for now I'm going to resist having a way for players to earn more lives.  As you play more and more I think you'll find ways to get past spots that you once thought were impossible.  I'm willing to make the change if I have to though lol.

The problem where it skips tiles is still something I haven't fixed.  I've been looking but it must be a well hidden typo.

I probably need to re-word things so it is less confusing, but the base isn't an actual tile on the map.  The last tile in the path is A8 so the enemies are said to "reach your base" if they make it past A8.

I'm very glad you like the game big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-06 03:40:37

Hi all,
I have started following this project just recently, and I must congratulate you for the incredibly fast work. It's not a big fancy game but a very interesting and unique one - I have never even seen a mainstream game of this kind before, let alone playing it, so I am liking it a lot. I think all bugs I have encountered so far have already been reported.
Mateus: The same happens to me, and I found that it helps to zoom out a few times when this happens. You'll be thrown on a totally different square after that but everything should work fine then.
I think that pre-recorded speech clips aren't really necessary for this kind of game, there is noise in the background anyway. :-)
So what about replacing them with Sapi instead? That would decrease the game's overall size dramatically, and it would also make the assembled sentences a lot faster to speak. Sometimes, I find it annoying to have to wait for the one number I am interested in out of the whole sentence. What about having a feature to allow you to press a key during speech that would move on to the next clip in the line?
These are about all observations from me for now. Thanks so much for this fresh innovative game, and keep up the great work, you have my support and interest as well!
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-11-06 04:10:42

Thanks lukas big_smile  I'll take a look at an option to jump to the next spot in the sentence... I think I have an idea about how to do that quite easily.  The voice recordings are messy because I had a lot of random noise in the room while I was recording them.  I plan to re-do them to sound better, if I don't end up going with a Sapi route.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-06 06:09:45

Oh, this sounds very encouraging either way. I do really have to appreciate the swift and open attitude with which you reply to people's feedback. That's a rare thing among audiogame developers nowadays, although it's certainly a lot easier to accept feedback like that with a relatively small project without much complexity. Imagine something like Three-D Velocity being rewamped in this and that regard every other day just because of someone's whining. big_smile
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-11-06 07:46:03

Well lucas, that is what alpha and beta testing is for ;d. I remember when I was playing the first private alpha of entombed and findingsome really chalming bugs (some of which were a right pest to track down).

As regards the sound in mai menue bit, that's something I've noticed myself but didn't really think it was a major enough issue at this point really.

For base location, instead of cluttering up the map, why not just add descriptions to the path description eg "monsters enter at, ---" and "the path ends at xxxx where your base is located"

This would also clear up the matter of which direction the monsters travel (sinse  in beta 2 I was actually a litle surprised the monsters were going bottom to top (for some reason, I thought they were going the other way), this might also be needed if there are planned to be more maps with different paths.

I also have a question about range. I initially thought when the game says a tower has a range of "2" tyles, this means 2 tyles excepting the towers' own location. So, if you put a range 2 tower on A1, it would kill monsters on A3.

After a bit of experimenting though, it seems this isn't the case. Would you mind please clarrifying this a bit, sinse obviously calculating the range correctly is very important to the game. I'm also not certain what the game means when it says a toer has a range of .4 of a tyle.

The furthest I've got thus far has been level 5, though hopefully now I know the upgrades business I can correct this.

Lastly, I'm afraid I have another bug. if you sell a tower, you don't seem to be able to build on the same square, tab does nothing.

As regards progress today please don't panic, heck, his is stil probably one of the fastest developement times in history!

2010-11-06 08:56:00

Hmm, apron, i can help with voice acting if you want. I have good microphones, and probably my voice isn't that bad lol

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2010-11-06 10:21:25 (edited by Aprone 2010-11-06 10:22:32)

I still haven't tried Three-D Velocity... I look forward to trying it soon since i've been hearing good things.

Dark, have you tried using the path description button yet?  It might be what you're looking for, and if not, I can probably adjust it to be more descriptive.  The range thing might make more sense if you think about is distance in a circle.  If we said the tiles were 10 feet by 10 feet in size.  This would mean that the tower has a 20 food radius around it as its range.  On a tile that is 2 tiles away there would be a curve of coverage but not all of the tile falls within the radius.  The reason it is like this is so that even small increases in a tower's range will be covering more area... otherwise you'd have to wait until the next whole number was reached before you'd notice a difference.  Hopefully that helps explain it.

The tower building problem should be fixed soon.  I have something I'm working on that should fix 3 or 4 reported bugs once it is done.  I'm heading to bed in a minute but I'm excited that I should have 4 solid hours of time tomorrow morning to try and get some stuff done.  If all goes well i'll fix most of the reported bugs, add a button to jump to the next part of the spoken sentence, and add in difficulty settings.  We'll see how it goes I suppose.

Thanks Seal, I DO think i'll be needing some voice actors for my next game... I'll remember to contact you when the time comes.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2010-11-06 14:07:03

Hi.

I can offer voice acting as well if you like, I have a good quality rowland recorder and have recorded game demos, I also have acted in some games such as 3D velosity (sinse light opera is an interest of mine, I do have a degree of stage experience as well).

As regards the path description yes, I have tried it, but I just thought changing it to precisely state monster entry point and base might clear things up when playing the game completely by audio.

The range thing does indeed make more sense, I sort of had the idea that a tower's range was calculated in squares not circles, but that is logical and should hopefully let me plan out placement better.

Thus far, the furthest i've got is level 5, I just don't seem to be able to take out that absolute hoard of giant bugs! ;d.

2010-11-06 14:11:45

Okay, you can count me in as well if you want. I don't exactly have a microphone but rather the Olympus DM550 digital voice recorder which is able to record files in wma, mp3 (up to 320 kbps, I think) and wav pcm (either 44,1 or 48 khz). I notice the best results are possible when recording wav, 48 khz, and then encoding it to ogg, 128 kb/sec, 48 khz.
Lukas