2018-09-24 01:09:05

Its rather unfortunate that past two weeks had been lost, even more unfortunate is the apparent loss of the sound list kaigoku had put together. The good news though is there's a google cache of the page I was able to scrape to salvage most of it, if kaigoku would like to restore the original that would be great, but in the mean time... Contributors were defender, UltraLeetJ, ammericandad2005, myself, and of course kaigoku, heh.

kaigoku wrote:
Hey guys. I hope this is the right forum to post this. Technically, it applies to general audio projects, but AudioGame development is definitely included!
Anyway, with all this talk about pirating sound effects and ripping sounds from different games and such, I would like to create this post to encourage new devs, and current ones for that matter, to stick to the rules. That is, let's not get in trouble for using sound effects that keep circling around in the community. That's all I will say on that matter. The simple fact is we should aim for innovation when it comes to sound design in our projects!
Therefore, to help with this encouragement, I would like to start a list of website links from which sound effects of all kinds can be bought or obtained freely with the appropriate legal licenses. I only know of a few, but I hope some of you will take the time to contribute if you know of any others.
Here is my list:

If you are one to stick to licenses, I encourage you to read carefully before buying whether you can use for noncommercial or commercial, multiple uses, etc.
Also, an added bonus, some of these sites also offer royalty free music. Again, use your best judgement when browsing.
I hope this helps someone.

Link to the original cached version [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-09-24 02:25:53

Hey magurp244. Thanks for finding this thing! I wasn't so keen on starting up the list again since I find myself quite occupied these days, but this is definitely a great cached version of the post as it was a few weeks ago. The only thing I remember adding was sonnis.com. I'm not sure if other people were interested, but it sure was quite a reference for myself. So, at the very least, I'll back up an HTML copy of this page. If people show enough interest, I could take it upon myself to recreate the list as an article in the article's room with categories and extra notes. Either way, I'm glad you were able to find this.

2018-09-24 03:54:35 (edited by defender 2018-09-24 07:02:46)

Dude, you done saved my ass from having to find it all again, thanks so much!
Here are some you missed, and extra thanks for elaborating on some of them as well!
pachd.com has some music too, and it's actually not bad.
soundeffectsplus.com appears broken when you download but the actual download pops up at the bottom of the page silently.
gamesounds.xyz has the elusive first game audio bundle hosted.

en.soundeffect-lab.info
Professionally done anime and highly processed sword sounds, with very loose licensing.
bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk
Research and education only, but some seriously amazing recordings here, particularly the ambience.

opsound.org
Obnoxiously  new age and up it's own ass, but also seriously great music and all covered under the same CC license, with useful tags and genre links.
teknoaxe.com
Big selection, particularly of electronic genres. The site navigation is a bit, odd, but you'll figure it out pretty quick LOL.
soundclick.com/business/license_list.cfm?
Change the license type to creative commons in the combo box and suddenly you have a large selection of high quality music open up. Awesome!
soundofpicture.com
it's all free! as long as it's non commercial, and he has a stricter definition of commercial than most, so just read the FAQ, and keep in mind that the full library download doesn't include the following albums for what ever reason, so you'll have to grab them separately. (Bright_Corners, Passages, Piano_II, Piano_III, and Soul)
And yes, it almost all does do that same repeating melody throughout, if you listen to a bunch of tracks you'll know what I mean, it's enough to make you think your going insane! Despite that the music is really good.
kongano.com
At first it seems like it isn't free, but read the FAQ and you'll discover that it is, which is great because their is a ton of stuff here in multiple categories. And even though the accessibility of the site is a bit meh, the descriptions for the tracks are great!
audionautix.com
Large amount of music in multiple categories! Though if this is the same guy on freesound, than I'm curious why he doesn't also have his sounds up their?
twinmusicom.org/portfolio
Good variety here, including some 8bit.
joshwoodward.com
Heavy on the guitar :-) but I'm not complaining.
timbeek.com
Only a few songs, mostly orchestral, some really high quality stuff, and he's got a youtube channel too.
youtube.com/user/holfix
Only a few tracks but very good, all orchestral, the link to the archive is in the descriptions of the videos along with the license. I admit it's a bit iffy from a legal standpoint, but I really doubt he'd give you any trouble anyway, and at least he's got some sort of  guidelines, even if it's not that official looking.

ccmixter.org
I hear about this site all the time, but it's really complex looking and I need an account, I just keep not bothering, does anyone know more about it? because it seems really good. Kinda like a freesound.org for music...

Now all we need is for someone to organize these into simple categories with some tags/notes, music samples, full music tracks, sound effects regular and mostly synthetic, large downloadable libs or searchable single download sites, account or no account needed, ETC.
After that, if someone is willing, and this would be a bit agonizing but hey, it would be helpful to many people if you spread it around allot, but if someone would organize them based on general quality/selection as well, than that would make it even better.

2018-09-24 08:19:36

mad props to you bro, thanks for the rescue!

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-09-24 09:58:46 (edited by defender 2018-09-24 10:18:40)

So I was poking around in "producerspot.com/free-downloads" and their is at least one sample pack on each page it seems. Plus, it's not just for music, any atmospheric drone/pulse, cinematic sound like stingers, risers and stabs, obstacle impact sound, or UI element you need can be found/adapted from their.
All the uses I listed above are universal with any music sample pack, especially the natural less synth heavy ones like 99 sounds garage Foley and the warehouse for instance.
It's true their hit and miss sometimes, like hexloops horrific Halloween, but you can find gems in each one, and with a bit of basic cleanup others can be saved.

2018-09-25 06:24:42

Hello,
Thanks to you guys for searching these many websites for us new developers as well as for old ones!

Best regards
Pranam
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!

2018-09-25 14:47:55

One more that I used for a project or two.
http://soundbible.com/
Some free sounds and stuff. Pay attention to licenses as usual.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2018-09-25 17:47:28 (edited by defender 2018-09-25 17:51:50)

Oh did I forget to mention soundbible? weird. And yeah Kagoku I would be very interested in a more organized list, yes.
Even just a separation of music samples and tracks from sound effects, and possibly an indication of large libs vs individual download sites would go a long way towards usability of the list.
General licensing schemes would be good too, E.G. non commercial, standard no use in sound first projects like sleep sound apps and no offsite distribution, credit required, ETC.

2018-09-25 19:42:02

thanks magurp: very good archive

2018-09-26 20:23:07

You know it's kind of allot to ask for one person to do, and Kagoku you said your going to be busy anyway, I can do the sound effects stuff, but we have musicians here that might be able to help us with the music categorization too.
Splitting the work would help, and we may even be able to merge this with coding and VST resources, which we've had topics on in this past.
Maybe that's too ambitious though, but for now I'm going to start organizing the sound effects sites based on license type, general quality and size of selection, and method of distribution.

2018-09-30 20:08:35

Hi,

@defender, feel free to take this on at your convenience. As you can see, I can't come to the forum as frequently as I'd like. I'd be happy to continue to contribute to the list. I'm just glad a few people are interested enough to have committed a few sites to the list. We just have to decide where this list will be hosted. I probably won't have time on my hands until the winter holidays in the Americas. So, until then, if nothing gets done, I'll be happy to do it myself.

2018-10-01 23:21:34

I have recorded a few ambiance sounds and other textures for use, but we will have to make them loopable first. However, I could dedicate a portion of my server for this. Sadly, work and life sometimes take over so its hard to tell when this would be ready. Or, if someone wants, I can pass on the unprocessed files and they can take care of the editing.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-02 02:18:44

I mean most ambience are like that anyway, even ones from professional sound sites so you should just put them up.