2018-07-18 21:32:12

Hi there.
So I've been talking with Mason, and asking him if I could make a 3d version of SBYW.
So now, I've put up a little engine that's working, and I planned to release it today. The only issue I'm facing is: lack of sounds.
Now, I'd like to ask you guys would you donate a little so that we can buy a sound library? I don't want (in any way) steal any sound from other games, that's why I'm asking this.
Either this, or can I ask links to free sound libraries that would be good for this project?
Thanks for the help in advance big_smile.

Paul

2018-07-18 22:36:03

could i beta test, and if this is online, i'd like to admin

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-07-18 22:50:16

@Fox: what makes you worthy of being an admin? Stop asking for such unreasonable requests, it's not a game you're looking for or something like. I'm sorry, if you'll become an admin from now on I won't play the game big_smile that's if I've already played it.
@pauliyobo: good luck in your project, it's a nice idea.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-07-18 23:13:44

@3, i think i would make a good admin, and it's just a question, and also, i don't think we've even met before so how do you know you wouldn't play a game i was admin of, would you prefer sam's admin team to me?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-07-18 23:22:47 (edited by pauliyobo 2018-07-18 23:23:54)

@post 2, it won't be online yet.
I plan to release a public beta. If the game is liked and you guys actually have interest on playing it, I might consider developing an online version.

Paul

2018-07-19 00:00:29

Cool!!!

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

2018-07-19 00:20:18

Sounds cool.
@2 really? just, really?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-19 02:40:48

there's sonnis gdc audio archive publicly released,
my suggestion is look the topic, i will do for sure for you,  but i don't have computer,  i am posting with my phone's browser here now, so sorry

2018-07-19 03:42:08

Hi,
Paul, may be you'd like to use the BBC library. Recently around 16K effects were opened sourced so maybe you'll find something there. And keep up the good work.
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2018-07-19 04:41:58

Hello folks! There's also freesound.org this one may be tricky to find actual good stuff, but you'll find very good quality sounds if you have patience to search.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-07-19 05:37:49 (edited by defender 2018-07-21 04:19:26)

I'll curb my enthusiasm for the time being, as experience has taught me, but this sounds like a really neat idea if you can pull it off!
And yeah, Fox, I think you'd almost certainly make a really bad admin, nothing personal, just simple observation based on most of your previous posts.

As for sound effects...
BBC is only for education I believe, and he said he wants to keep this above board, though I don't really know why if it's free, but hey, we've all got our own moral compass. For me, I couldn't care less about using unlicensed sounds if it's a nonprofit project and I'm not using sound libraries from a smaller Indi studio who's artists might actually miss the money, rather than some corporate Goliath who already paid everyone long ago and is now just raking in the royalties.

Anyway, their is a ton of stuff out their with no strings attached if your willing to do a bit of digging for what you want, and I've got some resources for you, I can give you some for music if you want too, just let me know.
The 4 Sonniss GDC Game Audio Bundles (2015 through 2018 so far) have already been mentioned, you'll need quite a bit of hard drive space for them and most of it probably won't be much use in this type of game, but you'll still find a respectable amount of stuff, plus what ever you can repurpose by using your imagination, and it's all high quality.
soundeffectsplus.com, soundgator.com, and soundjay.com all have libraries that overlap, because their owned by the same company, but each site also has it's own sounds.
No I have no idea why they did it that way either, it's annoying, but the quality makes it worth the trouble.
Also we've got zapsplat.com and freesfx.co.uk, the latter of which almost exclusively pulls (legally) from various Sound Ideas commercial libraries, and Sound Ideas are the biggest name in the business, which shows in their quality.
Airbornsound.com is pretty awesome, and he even offers super high quality versions of his free stuff. Plus, if you have a bit of cash, he offers some really cheap bargain bundles too.
Many of the artists listed on sites like asoundeffect and Sonniss also have free sound packs on their own individual websites, (Sound Morph and Soundbits for instance) and you can be sure of the quality, but expect to jump through some hoops to get your loot, basically you'll have to go through full checkout including billing address and all that most times.
Next their is the Adobe Audition Sound Effects Library, which, surprisingly, is actually able to be used outside of Audition and has many great ambience, nice sword sounds, and some good footsteps just off the top of my head, even if much of the rest is either cheesy or overdone.
You've also got PacHD.com and PacDV.com. They both offer sounds, but it's more hit and miss than the ones above.

Moving to the do it your self category you've got sites like freesound.org, soundbible.com, and opengameart.org.
It's a matter of needle in a haystack for these, especially with freesound because the database is massive, but their are allot of gems to be found if your willing and able to put in the time and effort, and same page web player support, sound packs, tags, and author profiles help allot.
Some things, like ambience, are a dime a dozen, and not that hard to find, while other things, like high quality first person perspective firearms, will mean searching through multiple pages to find what you need, but once you've found a solid pack or artist, you can generally get a fair amount of similar material.

Undoubtedly I'm missing some, their is just no real way around it, but I've mentioned all the ones I know the licensing for and used my self, minus those catering to primarily 8bit or heavily synthesized sounds that likely have no place in this game.
The licensing for nearly all of these is either Creative Commons Attribution, Creative Commons no attribution, or a custom license that's pretty common with these sites where you can't use the sounds in something like a sound effects app or sound effects youtube video, e.g. main purpose of the media is to show the sounds unmodified, along with the stipulation that you can't offer the sounds for direct download, or even link to individual files on the sound website's servers.
Aside from that it's generally all the same, but it's worth double checking, particularly when it comes to proper attribution methods, as they can sometimes get pretty picky with that, though more so for music.

2018-07-19 07:15:53

What is SBWY?

2018-07-19 07:23:56 (edited by kianoosh 2018-07-19 07:26:02)

S B Y W(scrolling battles: Your world) is an almost new title which is developed by mason http://www.masonasons.me
This game is all about creating maps, challenging your self by trying to complete maps that others have created, Urn coins and buy items that make your challenges easier including jump shoes, running shoes, grappling hook and some other stuff. It also supports 3d audio despite the fact that the game is side scroller

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-07-19 08:06:03

Hi.
If I ask for sounds to a project and get the sounds from other people, how would I then know I'm allowed to use the sounds in my project?
If I'm hyring a sound designer, is it then the sound designer or me who make the project who is responsible for the sounds? I have some projects in mind for the future, but I'm not sure on how to make sure I'm allowed to use the sounds I get in the project, unless I look for the sounds on the free websites, or purchase a sound library.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-19 08:08:19

is sony soundpack free? if it's free i'll give it to you since you don't want stolen sounds. i'm not sure about it being free cuz i got it from an iranian website big_smile you know big_smile

2018-07-19 08:37:38

hi, this sounds like a great project, but I have only one request. Could you please please please change the name? A 3d SBYW won't have anything to do with scrolling, and I doubt there'll be any battling either.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-07-19 12:11:08 (edited by pauliyobo 2018-07-19 12:12:14)

@post 11 thanks for the exaustive post. I'll give a check.
I also got some sounds thanks to a person. I relaized that is beter not asking for donations  while the game is not released, because I want to be sure money will not be wasted.
@post 14, I believe if you hire a sound designer the sounds he'll give to you were been paid for so you actually bought them which means they are of your property.
Same goes for a sound library.
If though you get sounds from other people, I'm not exactly sure how you should behave. Unless they are free attribution you may want to give them credit for that.
Don't quote me on this though.
@post 16 Your, is, a really, good point.
you know what? I'll let you guys decide big_smile
Want to see what are your name ideas.

Paul

2018-07-19 12:15:27

sorry for double posting.
Guys I don't think, in this version I'll be able to support the 3d audio like in the recent SBYW.
You won't have reverb, because I'm making this beta in BGT, and I plan to migrate in an other language for creating the online version with 3d audio support.
But we'll see. For now we'll go one step at a time.
big_smile

Paul

2018-07-19 12:20:41

post 2, that was priceless. my point still stands, though, if someone willingly asks for admin rank, that's usually asking for trouble on the dev's end. as for sounds, there's also findsounds.com , those guys appear to point resources to different links each time you go on it, but I'm not sure on their licensing, quality, or anything alike.

2018-07-19 13:48:42

your world , nice name big_smile

2018-07-19 19:09:38

ok, i'm going to address this now
The only reason I ever ask for admin rank is because i think I would do decently, and I'd at least like the chanse. I'll say this again, Would you prefer sam's old admin team? Not to say they were all bad, but most of them were.
And what does my other posts have to do with this?

----------

2018-07-19 19:57:45

@21 the least effective way to even get on an admin team is to straight out ask for a position before the game is even released. You're better off simply waiting until the developer explicitly states that they are looking for administrators, or by showing you're a decent guy for the job first by playing the game and prooving you're responsible and then maybe being invited.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-07-19 20:37:52

@21 right, impeccable logic there.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-21 04:33:19 (edited by defender 2018-07-21 22:43:43)

@14 SLJ
You should never use sounds that someone gives you without knowing where their from if you care about licensing.
Find out where they came from, then go there and check their licensing. If distribution is not aloud then your probably still fine, as it's the person giving them out who's under the spotlight, not you.
Point is, it's hard to prove you didn't download them from the site it's self anyway, and I really can't see them going to the trouble at all unless your a big company making bank off the sounds, and even then only if someone tips them off to it.
As for hiring a sound designer, I have no real idea other than a guess but I would assume that it would fall on them if they brought their own sounds along, since it's their job to protect them from misuse as the license holder, and even if you as the project manager used the sounds incorrectly, like you broadcasted them beyond 100KM or to more than 100000 people when that was part of the agreement for the pricing tier not to do that, or you used the sounds in a sound effects app when not using them by them selves was a restriction, than I imagine you could easily claim that the sound designer didn't notify you of those restrictions or pass the licensing info on to you in writing, which as the sound designer I would do to cover my self anyway, and then it would be their ass in the fire, not yours.

@15 AlirezaNosrati
If it's the Soni pack with 10 volumes that includes stuff like 5.1 explosion layers, hand to hand combat with those blood splatter sounds that are used in Swamp, a couple suppressed sub machineguns and a Benelli shotgun, than that's a commercial library and can't be legally used in most of the western world, but you can almost certainly use it in Iran.

2018-07-23 01:35:11

Hi there guys.
I think the game will be released in less than 2 weeks from now.
I just would like to ask if I should bother with creating a little website for hosting the download link, or just keeping it on dropbox.
I'm asking this because I have an other game as well that may come up soon.

Paul