2018-05-01 05:50:07

Hi all,
There have been, and will continue to be over the next month or two, some big changes to the administration of redspot. As I’m sure you know, we feel what’s been going on so far hasn’t been working. I’ll start off by writing the current list of admins because that has changed, and there’s still some confusion. The admins as of now, excluding the developers, are:

• blaze

• StonerFour2O

• God

• Hamada

• buu420

With that out of the way, I wanted to talk a bit about what an admin is. Admins now have the ability to prepend the word administrator to their names. This allows them to prove they’re an admin if a player isn’t sure and also to help players distinguish when an admin is an admin and when he’s a player. On that front, it’s, extremely, important to remember that admins are players too. When they’re not flagged, they have the same rights and are bound by the same rules as all of you. When they are flagged, they are now admins, and you should take what they say on good authority and follow their instructions. An admin will not flag unless there is actual admin business to attend to, and after whatever it was is dealt with the admin will switch off the flag. Remember that admins carry their powers across names, so you never know when one is logged in.
Elaborating on the above point, admins can say and do whatever you would say or do when they’re playing. They are allowed to engage in friendly banter just like any of you. If you happen to know that so&so name is an admin, and they say something that offends you, and doesn’t make them a bad admin. just go kill them like you would anyone else. To reiterate, admins are not admins without the flag!
Now I’d like to briefly highlight a few of the other, less important changes we’ve made and plan to make to the team.
First, we now have two ways you can contact the admin team as a whole. No more going through the developers for every issue. We have both an email and a Skype. They are both [email protected]. Please direct every issue you think requires admin attention to these mediums. We’re an eight man team here, and for good reason. It’s really quite stressful to the developers to be essentially running the game by themselves, so please do them a favor and use the official redspot Skype and email accounts for all your concerns.
The next item is still in the works. We are redrafting the rules document. This has needed to happen, well, honestly since the current one was written. It’s just not good, at all. This new document will define what is a punishable offense much clearer, have specific tables for the admins to follow for offense categories, and just be overall a much better governing document for the game. We will also be including a whole section just for admins, as it has been unclear for years what admins are and are not allowed to do. We will be specifically defining what coded and uncoded powers admins have, what checks we’re placing on these powers, and what your rights are as players. Much like any constitutional government, this document will rule supreme, and no group of people will be all powerful. It’s your game, and we want everyone to enjoy it.
The final thing we’re planning, though it’s not for a while, is a complete overhaul of the admin system. I won’t say much other than on the user end there will be ways to contact us on a case by case basis and get anonymous help. We’re already putting temporary solutions in place to act something like that until there’s a coded system, and the Skype and email accounts are two of them. Speaking of anonymity, when you’re talking to an admin on the support accounts, and really just in general, don’t ask who they are, no matter if you ask their real name or rs name. One of the things we’re working to dissipate is a lot of the grudges players have against certain admins. If we talk under one anonymous redspot administration figure, no one will be seen as a bad admin for things they might have done in the past, and things will go much more smoothly from now on.
I think I’ve covered just about everything. I know this is a long post, but I wanted to take a lot of time to write out everything we’re planning to do to make the game run better so you guys know we’re being serious here. I’ll now be taking suggestions from the floor. Let’s get everyone’s concerns out in the open so we can all work together to make redspot a fun place.

2018-05-01 07:06:02

Hi.
Sounds really great. I'm not playing the game much simply because it's not much my kind of style, but those changes sounds really great. May I suggest something? Have a weekly admin meeting via Skype or Teamtalk where you talk about how things goes. Have a generel agenda you follow, where the admins can discuss any siturations which has happened during the passed week. If you arrange a weekly meeting, you'll keep the admin team very active. If something happens in the game which you as a team needs to take care of, you can let the players know that you'll talk about it at the next admin meeting. Such way of communication would also bring you much more together as a team.
Just a suggestion from someone who are doing a lot of volunteer work... smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-05-01 08:49:55

That admin flag thing just sounds odd to me. It'd make more sense to separate admin and player accounts.

2018-05-01 10:45:48

@Draq Actually an Admin flag makes a lot of sense to me personally.

one of the inherent problems in online games or communities is that essentially those who are charged with keeping order and sorting  community  are members of that community themselves. This means that more than frequently unless there is a clear distinction to when someone is on and off duty you get a lot of questions of bias and such, especially in a competitive environment such as a game.

this is why on this forum myself and the other staff always write "moderation!" so that members know when we have our official moderator hats on  are doing moderatorary type of things that members should take note of, and when we're  behaving as ordinary members, likely talking  load of absolute tosh big_smile.

The one thing I would like to see for redspot myself is a complete player manual detailing the game. I've tried at several times to get into things, if nothing else just to write a db page, but I've found matters rather confusing, and I will say all the drama did not help.

I appreciate efforts to cut the drama, and now that is happening, efforts to make matters a wee bit more comprehensible to  would also be appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-05-01 16:20:54

@slj: I would agree except that would probably be redundant. Admins have a skype group where we keep in daily contact. If something comes up, someone it’s always available to take care of it. Just last night we had a guy sending crashwords, a beta member alerted us and he was stopped. We’re a very tight nit team, and everybody knows what’s going on as long as they read the group. A weekly meeting would not only be redundant but inconvenient as we all have very different lives.
@Draq: there are a number of problems with your proposal. Dark nailed one of them on the head. As I’ve already stated, admins are players too, and having a separate account for them would stop them from playing the game which just isn’t fair. Admins would also not be able to change names which you guys can do whenever you want. This is a problem both for annonimity and because it’s best to not let you guys know when there’s an admin logged in. This is all assuming that there’s an account system for redspot, which there isn’t, has never been and never will be. We’d like people to lose everything when they die, so Sam coded it from day 1 to not save any player info.
@dark: is it possible that you read the old readme? That one, much like the rules document, sucked pretty hard, I’ll be honest. The new one is 59.7kb and, although it’s a bit weirdly organized, is definitely not lacking in detail. Let me know what you’re confused about and I’ll add it if it’s not in there already.

2018-05-01 17:39:18

Yeah I have read the new readme too and its pretty good, and fairly complet. I've just only got started playing again, I suck pretty damn bad, and probably won't get any better, so we'll see how long I last until I get tired and lose patience again lol.

I'm glad something is being done to sort of hash out some issues with the way the game is run.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-02 07:22:33

@alec: I see regarding to a weekly meeting. I'm glad to hear that a Skype group works for you, and a weekly meeting might be difficult due to different timezones etc.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-05-02 12:26:28

just something regarding the skype/email account. so the idea is that we don't know who we speak with, in case we hate that particular admin. not sure about others, but I'm pretty good at spotting people out by their writing style, and apparently some have a more obvious writing than others. just something to throw out there. nice to see the administration getting reworked, however.

2018-05-02 15:08:52

Well, if you have like half the community railing against one of the admins, that person probably shouldn't be an admin. People are gonna grumble if you have to step in and deal with them, but they probably won't hate you for it unless they're a child without emotional control, or just incredibly small-minded. However, if you have more than a small group of people hating on an admin, that person probably earned it. I would say at the very least, keep that person under surveillance. I don't know how the admin teams for Sam's games are organized, if everyone is on the same level, or if there is a hierarchy, but there probably should be some flag that a higher level admin, or a developer can set on another admin, or player for that matter. It would not announce to the person that it was activated, and it would start a file for that person, logging everything they see, do, or communications they take part in. It would log their admin commands, and provide a summary at the end of the file. An example might be: <insert name here> used 39 admin commands, performed 3 ban operations, send 42 messages, received 48 messages. Then you could just go and read the thing or search for what you were specifically looking for.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-02 17:48:35

@braille: Brandon hit on one of the points. We slimmed down the admin team by a few members recently for just that reason, some people just didn’t need to be admins. They were added by impulse which is concerning by itself. One caused huge problems, another wasn’t active, and yeah, you get the point. Slim down much more and we risk overworking the team, especially since we don’t all contribute equally. We’re doing this for free you know.
I like having one admin account because it lets us choose who handles situations so one or two people aren’t dealing with everything as is the case right now. When you call a tech support line, you don’t direct into the line of whoever you prefer to be helped by. Your case is forwarded to the first available representative. Same concept.
@brandon: I’ve always been firmly against an admin hierarchy to the point that I said if certain admins were put in charge I’d leave the team. We’re not a huge corporation, rather a group of friends running a fun game. creating a sense of authority among friends just messes stuff up in so many ways. Rs has created enough drama as it is. As for logs, rs already logs every admin command that is ever used, the time and the player on which it was used, so no issue there.

2018-05-02 18:58:48

post 10, you may have misunderstood me. I by no means, was saying that using 1 account for everyone is a bad idea. rather, I was saying, if someone has an issue with an admin, and wants to speak with another admin about it, and ends up getting that particular admin on the other end of the line, they will recognise it. that was all. but yes, the smaller the team, the more organised it is, couldn't agree any more with that.

2018-05-03 14:11:30

i think you shouldnt make admins name's public 
it would be nice if we didn't knew who is admin and who is not    it's good if admins have an admin  pm and players can't notice their name

for example anonymous is admin, and  dark alireza  is cheating. he want's to tell him to stop, he'll use a command /adminpm darkalireza  hey don't cheat you son of a ****   and dark alireza will receive   this pm from admin: hey don't cheat you son of a **** instead as   pm from anonymous

2018-05-03 16:22:04

Personally I've always had a problem with "unified administration teams"; that is, to the user they appear to be one single entity rather than a collection of people. In the context of a nation, such an entity makes sense; after all, that entity represents the entire nation. What distinguishes that particular entity from a unified administration team like games like CR and RS have (in CR's case) utilized and (in RS's case) are wanting to utilize is that these entities have representatives, and if someone within that entity fucks up its pretty easy to figure out who did, and to subsequently punish them for it, nationally at least. (In the international spectrum, other countries blame the entire US, even if only one person did something to another country; that's international politics and there's a good reason for that, though I can't think of it at the moment.) But in the context of a game, such a methodology of administration doesn't necessarily work; the game is not a nation, or a state, but a game, ran by a selection of individuals who are (hopefully) trusted by the developer(s) of that game. So, if an admin uses the ban hammer indiscriminately, as has been done in the passed, the player base is going to blame the entire administration team, rather than blaming that one particular person. I understand that the admins of RS don't want any issues happening with admins vs. players, however in a game such as this preventing it is impossible, no matter how hard you try. Logging commands and all works fine until the log file gets so filled that you can no longer reliably use it; that's where services like Amazon CloudWatch come in play. smile When I say that the log file becomes unreliable, I mean two possibilities: either 1) the file will get so large that searching it from top to bottom won't exactly be practical, an unlikely scenario but one to consider anyway; or 2) admins learn its format and are able to hide the evidence, if not entirely get rid of it, making both the testifying arguments from the players and the admins becomes circumstantial and, therefore, impossible to confirm one way or another, which renders the final judgement useless. This is where a version control system like Git comes in handy: set up a cron job or action in the games source code to commit to a private Git repository every day, for example, or even every hour (but not every minute, unless your trying to acquire the most commits in a month award... which doesn't really exist). This would make it possible to go back a revision or two, and determine if the log file has been modified manually by an administrator who has done something nefarious but wishes to hide it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-03 18:15:12

I tend to agree, if a player doesn't like a particular admin, but the developer doesn't have a problem with that admin, that player's dislike of the person doesn't invalidate their authority over situations that might arise in game. This whole anonymous thing, I just think it will cause more problems than it solves. I know are a lot of people who will use an admin's name when referring to a situation. Let's say that hypothetically, I get banned. Let's say that I didn't break any rules in the game, or I did, but something you wouldn't normally ban for, give a warning, take stuff, etc. Now I have a legitimate claim, let's say I try to forward that claim on, not spamming, not yelling, just laying out my case. I will use that admin's name if I have access to it, just like when I call a customer support line for a product I buy, I will write down the person's name, and employee ID if applicable. When I contact any business, I will generally do this, that way if an incident occurs, I have evidence on my side that I can give to the next representative I speak with, the time and date of the call, the name of the person I spoke with, their employee ID, my reference number if given to me. I will use all this info to build a case that I can present. I'll lay out an example, let's say I had an unusually high bill that I couldn't afford to pay. I call up whatever utility and ask if there's anything I can do, they tell me to pay however much I can, and next month I will have to pay that bill plus whatever was unpaid from this month. Now, we talked about it, so they agreed to waive any late fees, and not disrupt the service. Now, what if I either get the bill next month, and there are late fees, or somewhere in between, my service gets disrupted because I didn't pay in full. If I call them up and give as much info as I can give, they might help me, then again, they might not. But, if I have dates and times, names, employee ID's and reference numbers, this is evidence that I did try to deal with the issue. They can then look this up, they can then ask this employee if they remember speaking to me. It's not a sure fire way to get it dealt with, but your case becomes a lot stronger when you have specific information.

Back to the subject at hand, If I was dealt this punishment by this admin, what I would do is this. I would look at the rules, and see if there is anything listed there about what happened. I would build a case around the issue, I would mark down the date and time, the admin's name, the reason they gave when banning me, if any, I would reference the rule or rules that applies to the situation, and I would write an appeal based on that info. When its all said and done, it doesn't guarantee that I will be unbanned, but they can investigate. They can see OK, this admin has benned a few people, we have a few complaints about them. We see nothing else in this guy's notes, he hasn't had any other run ins with admins, or he has, but it was minor, and the incident hasn't come up since.

I can do this even if the admin is marked anonymous, but it makes it a bit harder for both sides. Also, I'm of the opinion that bad admins should be flushed out and dropped from the team. That's also harder if every admin speaks under the same banner.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-03 19:04:06 (edited by Ethin 2018-05-03 19:08:26)

It is. Many games try to do this anonymous crap and say, "We want to present a united front to our players," and they think it makes those players feel more confident, but really, it only plants the seeds of exclusion and distrust with the players because the players have absolutely no idea who they're talking to. Like I said in post 13: This anonymous united front shit works with countries but just barely. Its failed more than once with many countries: a representative attacks a representative of another country and the entire country of either gets blamed, not the representatives who are at fault; that, in turn, causes the seeds of distrust between countries to grow, which turns into hatred, purely because its not dealt with properly. A good tip: do not, ever, treat your game or administration team like a government of a country. Do not construct it as such, and do not make it look like that either. That only ostracizes you and your admin team because people think your weird. If your game is RP, your administration team can be a government IC, but definitely not IRL. That seems very weird and overly officious. That's the last thing we need. Also, another major thing needs to be added to RS that apparently isn't there: access control. You have rules, yes; but those rules will be incredibly hard to enforce without built-in systems in the game to prevent this kind of thing, or to monitor it. So add things like ACLs, or RBAC, or, even simple permission sets that are not modifiable by any admin except the creator of the game, and ensure that those permissions actually work before you release it. Ensure that said permissions are not tamper-able without some kind of decryption key (I'd highly recommend using an external cryptography API for this; BGT's cryptographic primitives are extremely weak, and are easily breakable.) Once that's in, monitor it, and monitor it closely.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-03 21:01:48

quick question, what would it take to get in the admin team? cause i've had prior expeirence, excuse my spelling, with being an admin. And I'm able to be active almost all the time.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-05-03 21:04:02

@13 and 15
Before you go and yet again clutter the topic with irrelevant technical details to which you are clearly misinformed, rest assured that our development stile is a bit more intricate than a simple log file. While version control and kron is most certainly helpful in some instances, their is no requirement here. I have ever so carefully implemented a quite basic yet effective essential feature of every operating system known as file permissions, *gasps*. Access control list if you wish... that should serve quite adequately. Admins are in no way allowed to modify game logs for obvious reasons.

The way I look at it right now is this. If a player has a problem with the admin team as a whole, or the manner in which a case is carried out, they are more than welcome to get in contact with a developer. I can only speak for myself here, but I'll do what I can to make sure the entire case is thoroughly examined by both me, Sam, and when necessary the rest of the team. Admins are also required to write down information on key encounters with players.

2018-05-03 21:17:20

@16 what you just did.............. not that!

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-03 21:52:07

Hi. So just to clear a couple things up here with the system of having anonymous admins. I understand how if you have an encounter with an admin that you are unhappy with, it's good to be able to report what happened. Keep in mind that all admin messages and actions are closely logged. Administrators can not modify these log files. If you have an undesirable encounter with an admin, all you need to do is report to a developer, not an admin, what happened and the date/time this took place. We can then view the log files and detain exactly what happened. The reason we are pretty much forced to have anonymous admins is simply because of the nature of the game. Admins are players just like you guys. They join teams, they kill, they insult, they die. We have found that the admin's ability to genuinely play and enjoy the game is massively impeded because if a matter appears where they are forced to take admin measures, everyone knows that that person is an admin of the game. This instantly opens that person up to false cheating accusations, PM's when admin flags are turned off, and commonly people thinking that that admin is a jerk because while that admin's flag was disabled, that admin had insulted someone with colorful profanity just like everyone in the game does, and should be allowed to do. So to clear up all the "this admin is a jerk because he killed me 3 times in a row" reports, and to allow an administrator who works on the game voluntarily, and for completely free, to enjoy and play the game they are administrating with out being accused of cheating or insulting etc etc. This also extends beyond a single admin playing the game, as it has been our experience that once people know you have the ability to enable your admin flag, they don't forget that you have that ability. Meaning that even after a situation is dealt with and the admin disables there flag to continue playing the game, then that admin insults someone and gets a kill streak of 10 players in a row, what generally happens is that many of the players get a negative view of the entire admin team because they were killed 1 to many times by someone who had the ability to enable an admin flag. I say this from experience of the many reports me and carter get all the time, I'm not assuming things here. So the general consensus, there for, was to make 1 admin figure that can show up when ever it is needed, and vanish when ever a situation is dealt with. This way it completely discards all controversy players may have when just playing the game with other people that are admins. Like I said though, the developers (me and carter)  an tell who sent which messages if you send a report to us. The point here is to try to handle things with the admin contacts, and if you are unable to make any headway with your issue or situation, then contact me and carter.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2018-05-03 21:58:04

@cartertemm, the details which I listed were not "technical irrelevances" that I do not know about. Simple basic file permissions can easily be overridden on Windows (it really isn't that hard). And you may find that using a revision control system may actually be a good idea. Or using cloud watch from AWS (I have that currently set up one of my servers to track important log files). So yes, my suggestions were very good ones. Please stop shoving off my suggestions when you've never even tried them. tongue Like I said though... windows permissions are so easy to override its not even funny. The only way I can see how that would be effective is if the game is being hosted on a private windows server that's inaccessible by anyone but Sam himself, in which then my suggestion may become unnecessary (but is still useful). Second, please tell me exactly how your going to enforce the rule that all admins are going to write down every "key encounter", as you put it, with players?
Now, my access control suggestion also had another intent -- to prevent admins from abusing powers, naturally. Right now, as it currently stands, all I've seen are the "player" and the "administrator". And anyone who's an "administrator" can do anything (which means using the ban hammer recklessly).
Of course, you think your primitive windows file permissions are soooo much better... so go on... have fun with that.

My Github

2018-05-03 22:22:15 (edited by cartertemm 2018-05-03 22:24:13)

@20
You obviously have a profound lack of knowledge if your saying our data is stored in a log file that either 1, the admins can use, or 2, is a single massive text file. Also, I have first hand knowledge of the systems you discussed above, given the fact that most of my personal projects use git and occasionally AWS.
This topic was designed for getting feedback on our proposed changes to redspots administration. Again, and as I said in the last post, you obviously don't know the security measures in place. I have dismissed this as nothing more than our standard Ethonic game of technical expertise and hypothetical possibilities.
If you would like to continue playing, feel free to do so through Skype or PM's.
I don't see anything more that needs to be said here, oh yeah, maybe that admins don't have either access to the server directly or commands that deal with file I/O what-so-ever?

On another note, I appreciate the feedback we've received thus far. Keep it coming, and I hope the changes provide for a more positive playing experience overall.

2018-05-03 23:05:48

@18, what? what are you talking about? i couldn't understand

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-05-03 23:51:48

I get what you guys are saying from the admin team about admins being able to play, and they should, they do a lot of hard work to keep things running smoothly, so they should have the option to play the game like anyone else can. I do think that they should not be able to play as their admin account though. Thinking about the rules in place for police officers. They can't really do certain things on duty. They can't go and watch a movie, they might stop off for a break and get something to eat real quick, but a cop on duty isn't going to be sitting in a diner for an hour and a half. But, think about a cop who is off duty. An off duty cop gets to carry his service revolver with him, he can call something in, I think even make arrests if the situation warrants, but there are variations of those rules in different places. This is more how it should be in my opinion, because think of it, if an admin were playing the game as a player and saw something that needed an admin to deal with, he could log in as an admin and deal with it, or call to someone else. When an admin uses his own admin account for playing, problems can arise. I'll make a few assumptions about the server and the way things are run, they may not be like this, and I have no knowledge, I am just making them to help with the scenario. Let's say that an admin cannot hand objects to himself, so no giving a loadout of weapons and ammo, he must go and collect like everyone else. He can be killed by other players. Let's say he can't tweak values in game like how many shots he has in his weapon before it needs reloaded, fire rate of the weapon, so basically, he can't cheat and still has to do everything like any other player. OK, so we have that, now, let's say a certain player has been giving him a bunch of guff for a while, he then goes and kills or cusses out the player repeatedly... Nah, to me that's not right. Admins shouldn't be doing that, they should act professionally. Now, if some of those previous assumptions are false, they might be tempted to take advantage of them. No good can come out of your admins acting like players while they're admins. It's like a cop going up to someone while he's off duty and saying, excuse me, but I need to pat you down. Remember, this guy's off duty, no uniform, no badge pinned to his breast pocket. Is that something you're gonna allow to happen, being that you have no way to identify he's a cop? This isn't exactly the same, but it's close enough that parallels can be drawn, cops on duty won't turn around and yell in someone's face if they bumped into him or something, and if reports were filed against that cop, he probably wouldn't be one for long. There really does need to be a divide there, I think, if there's not, it just invites issues. Now, if an admin cannot be killed, or has crazy high health like 500K plus, because he needs to test certain things, and he roams around and kills other players, then you stray into the unfair. I really can't see any good out of allowing admins to play the game under their own admin accounts.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-04 01:56:53 (edited by blaze 2018-05-04 02:06:58)

@12: Yep, that's basically the plan, though we have temporary systems like the skype account in place for now. Most of the admin tools will be added with the python port. Right now admins can send a little sing-songy warning message to players annonimously which I think should do for the time being.
@23: a number of issues. As I've stated numerous times, and if I recall correctly this is also stated in the readme, there is no, account system on redspot, at all. The closest thing to an account system is the allocated name system which is just a name and a password. This will never change and was done completely intentionally. That being said, and I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I really think you missed the idea of the first post. The whole idea of the admin flag was so that admins can be players until the situation requires admin intervention. When it does, the admin hat goes on, the problem is dealt with and the admin hat goes off. You'll see admins going afk suddenly for just that reason, so they're not killed while they deal with something. If you see an admin going afk near you and the flag doesn't come on, please report that as that's abuse. Because of this, your police metaphor doesn't really apply. This isn't a paid position, so hours aren't being logged and there's no set time where admins are and aren't on duty. I will agree that when an admin is talking to someone with the flag on, professionalism is expected. This has been a major issue in the past, and in deed one of the reasons for this topic's existence. But, as I stated above, when the flag isn't on, admins can act exactly the same as any of you can because they're not admins, they're players.
Edit: I'll take this opportunity to make this abundantly clear. Admins cannot, and will never be able to, modify their inventories, tweak values in the code or otherwise tamper with the internal workings of the game in ways that give them advantages. I'm truly saddened that I even have to say this. I hate how the word "admin" in this community now means all powerful lord of a game that can make your life hell if he doesn't like you. This is probably the unfortunate byproduct of years of corrupt administration in audiogames, but I digress. The point is, there is no reason admins should ever be able to do these things. The devs coded a specific set of commands for us to use, they do their functions, and that's it. Obviously our power extends a little beyond the game itself as evidenced by this topic, but only as a figurehead to the game. Again, it pains me to have to explain this, but such is reality.

2018-05-04 04:11:27

Here's the thing.

First, let me say I've never played this game and don't intend to. But what I'm saying applies to every game, everywhere, no exceptions, at least in my opinion.

Admins are trusted individuals who are meant to enforce game law when called upon. This means that in a very real sense, they are here to uphold the game environment.
If you want new players to join the game, and if you want pre-existing players to feel welcomed and treated fairly, then this whole business about admin being able to act exactly like players is just silly. Players can do some pretty ridiculous things which aren't a hundred percent against the rules, and from my observations, it looks like you can get griefed pretty hard in this game if you piss off the wrong people. Admin are players, yes, but I think that they should be upholding a semi-professional standard at all times. Cursing out players, sniping them, griefing them, should not be happening if you're an admin. Part of the reason you're an admin is to help better the game's community, and none of those things does that; in fact, those things probably all contribute in a negative way to the community.
If you want to go around and smack people and yell at them and whatever, go do it. if you want to be an admin, keep first and foremost within your mind that you are representing the game. None of this hat-on hat-off crap. You're taking on a responsibility, so bloody well own it.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1