2018-02-04 14:01:58

Yes we have a new adventure to play through.
For those not familiar with the fighting fantasy project, this is a site which provides interactive gamebooks to play through, more details see The db page here

these are not like the Cog/hg titles as they have more combat with mechanics and stats and are usually harder to get through (If you want to know the meaning of evil try hellfire).

iv'e had a lot of fun with these over the years, and it's great mor  are till being produced.
This latest entry is the sequel to Gavin Mitchel's outsider though apparently it's possible to play stand alone).
In it you play the son of a necromancer who desires to become an adventurer rather than following his father's rather squelshy zombie footsteps.
Whether the halfelf assassin from Outsider will show up I'm not sure, but either way you can play New day rising :

here

Happy adventuring.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-04 17:07:43

Wow! I was starting to worry if new content would show up (I've been checking every few months or so). Thanks for posting this!
I know what I'm doing for part of today, apparently.

2018-02-05 11:44:36

I just finished this gamebook with my own preferred storyline of course. I really like gamebook and story-based games and text. Almost all the gamebook in  fighting fantasy project I've tried. hopefully more new gamebook that will appear in the future.

Enjoy all that the Lord has given in your life, and share with as many people as possible.

2018-02-08 02:45:35

I confess I generally liked Outsider - not my favourite, but it wasn't bad - but am not as fond of this one. I feel like the writing, particularly early on, is much more tongue-in-cheek and even a little bit lazy in places. While Outsider had a very distinct sort of slang, this one's got a lot of pop-culture references that just...jangle on the ear, at least if you're me.
This doesn't make it a bad game - I haven't gotten far enough in it to know one way or the other - but it did put me off a little. I've died twice so far, and one time sseemed extremely random and had no real warning of any kind - I've never liked deaths of that sort, honestly, even small clues are nice - but I may give it a really good spin at some point.

To put this in perspective, one of my favourite gamebooks is The Trial of Alibar's Tomb, which although it has some random death in it, is also fairly logical. So is Hellfire, actually, once you figure out the mechanics and know which ways to go so you don't just up and die. I think my least favourite is Escape from Nuberg Keep, or whatever it's called, though I wasn't really fond of all the sci-fi-based ones by Ulysses I either.
I dunno. Maybe I'm just picky.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-02-09 12:00:04

I am more interested in gamebook with light stories like Impudent Peasant or The Black Lobster.
But I am also quite interested in long story telling gamebook like The Diamond Key.
But there is one thing that is enough to bother me.
Some of the gamebooks I try always have a bad ending with death even though I've tried different options.
To be honest I prefer the happy ending with the hero's victory.
I do not know, maybe I'm missing something or the author has its own wisdom.

Enjoy all that the Lord has given in your life, and share with as many people as possible.

2018-02-09 12:47:09

@Rio Aryo, finding the good ending is the idea in most gamebooks of the ff type, the gorey endings are like a gameover.

Impudent peasant and the black lobster both have good endings (in the case of the Black lobster two different ones actually), not sure on the diamond key since I've not managed to get through that one.

@Jayde, Escape from Nuruanberg keep is imho the worst book on the site, not because of the seriously overdone torture, though that is so extreme and sparsely described it's bad enough, but because your actual choices are fairly minimal.
For all the blood and guts the author rarely gives you chances to influence the actual flow of the story seriously, which is quite a problem, indeed looking at some of her comments on the guestbook she seems basically more interested in the torture than the gamebook side of things big_smile.

As for other books, many I haven't had a serious go with. Outsider I've not managed to finish so I won't be starting this one, similarly, with Ulysses A's commic sf ones, wrong way go back is so completely harsh with the limited time mechanic I've never got through it far enough to try any of his others which is a shame.

Same goes for Hellfire and it's sequel.
Maybe i'm just a completionist, but I always have to get through number 1 before number 2.

Alabar's toom though is one of my favourites on the site, I've finished it three times.
I like the fact  logic actually helps with that one, the only downer is you do have to reroll a bit to get a high skill score, since if you don't have a skill of 10 or higher your pretty much dead meat.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-09 18:08:48

It is true. I also found that Impudent Peasant and The Black Lobster had a happy ending of the story.
Especially for The Diamond Key, I've tried many times and the result always ends in the embrace of death.
Ah and one more gamebook that always make me despair and think that the author deliberately made gamebook without hope.
The title is The Cold Heart Of Chaos by Al Sander.
Especially for Ulysses Ai, for some reason I always fail to finish every homemade gamebook.
Always have long text with high difficulty.
One more writer I love is Gaetano Abbondanza with his horror stories like House Of Horror and Soul Tracker.

2018-02-11 17:42:45

Yeah, this was, not very good. I was expecting outsider levels of writing, and all I got were tired internet memes and pop culture references. Feel free to pass this one up.

Take care, it's a desert out there.