2018-01-21 08:15:33

When I first started playing Empire, Athlon and his clan were on the way out, but it looked to me like Khuvu was doing the good admin thing and just trying to keep a mud running. So I'd like to take a moment to appologise, because as with any bad admin, he finally flipped his lid and I just got the fun khufu treatment... Which is to say I was banned, my empire deleted and his friend ended up getting the land which started this show in the first place. I've posted a link here, complete with logs and logs and more logs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/7 … empiremud/
But in case you don't want to sift through it, here's a rundown.

I established my empire on an island Khufu found for me (the map is not accessible so far as understanding who has claimed what land) so you have to ask someone for sight. Unfortunately I was on mostly desert and needed a tree farm, because I was building a lot and never had wood, so I asked him for another location. He told me to go straight north, and within about 100 tiles of my island there was another island, but the place he told me to settle would've been really hard to settle. He said there was space farther east, so I went there, seen that there was a city but it was separated by a mountain range, roads and etc (the roads were decaying meaning that they were in disrepair), so I plopped my second city down and built a treefarm.
Then united federation came along, declared mistrust and told me to leave. We discussed it and came to an agreement that I wouldn't use those mountains she built an unclaimed road around for mining, but she quickly decided that wasn't enough. She kept whining about how she cleared the land, but how newbies kept settling on it. I told her I would move, but I'd expect something for it and that's when it fell apart because she would just lament that newbies were taking over the land she hadn't claimed.
There are two things worth note here: first, this land was unclaimed despite the fact that she has thousands of tiles she can claim, second that there was at most 1-2 buildings on this land, and third, is that someone else on Reddit already said she had shoved them off this land, so I'm at least the second person to have a run-in with her.
I was busy over the last couple weeks with holidays and everything else and thus didn't log in a ton, but I would log in sometimes and just get a couple mines going while I listened to a book. A couple days ago I logged in, seen a couple of my buildings had decayed on my outpost, realized that I didn't have the stuff there to repair them and went to rebuild--but apparently when buildings decay, you lose that land... So this person decided to build in the middle of mine.
I quickly put down more roots, planted vigilent vines (aggro NPCS that attack you if you enter their area) and ripped up a bunch of her road and claimed as much as I could around my area again, then made sure to fortify that claim... I then tried to discuss it with Khufu, who promptly told me that I was lieing, that I promised to leave the land in return for nothing and that he's tired of my complaining about it. I posted a review, moved on and spoke to another player who was willing to work something out with me.
I eventually sent him a link to the review because someone on empire noticed it and sent me a tell, and he again accused me of lieing to the player which I had been speaking to (which tells me he was, has been and remained to monitor my tells with other players), and then accused me of all kinds of stuff. I basically went in circles, he told me to fuck off and I was trying to be civil and diplomatic and figure out what exactly his issue was; finally the conversation died and i posted that log as well.
The next day I was on trying to wind down before I had a flight out for a job interview when he sent me a tell and said that my posting of the log was out of line and asked me to remove it. I acknowledged having received the tell but that was it, so eventually he moved me to another room where I couldn't leave, told me that if I didn't remove the logs he would ban me, and when I refused he banned me and destroyed my empire--literally everything. There's nothing I can do about the tons of work I put into building said empire, and his friend ends up getting the land back which she wanted in the first place... All at the cost of one pretty constant player. But as long as united can continue to bot wealth and bully people, I guess that's all that matters. End result, I lost lots of time on a game which I put a lot of effort into--I even had code ready to submit as a pr to help the game and fix some things I'd noticed... All because the admin had to play favorites. My empire is gone, the bully kept everything because someone dared settle on a huge part of land far from anything she'd claimed and life goes on.

2018-01-21 15:46:24

I think the guys over at muriani said something along the lines of admins should be administrating the game and not playing it, or if they are they shouldn't be playing it as admins. I think that rings true for this game as well, if the admins insist on playing favorites like that. Wow, and this is what happens when you have immature admins.

2018-01-21 16:39:48

It is stories like this, and there seem to be a lot of them, that keep me away from multiplayer games in general, preferring single player games instead.

At least in single player games, the only crap you have to put up with is your own.

2018-01-21 16:45:39

That admin isn't in a good position to be calling someone else a liar, considering this is, what, the third time he's played favorites like that?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-01-21 17:41:35

You can't hide the moon, you can't hide the sun, and you can't hide the truth.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-21 17:53:54

Oh how people have fallen... at this point I don't even play any more, but I have so much shit over there it'd suck to just get rid of it all, but why leave it there to decay.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-01-21 18:38:59

I got a copy running on my server, well, I shut it down for a bit, but hell, we should all just like fuck around with it, see what kinda shit we can get up to, etc. building big cities all over the place, play the game like it was meant to be played, whiny people not welcome XD I gotta make some time to study the docs, I don't really understand a lot of what's going on there, but apparently you can reclass a lot of stuff, like I want to create my own types of NPC's which this will allow you to do.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-21 19:39:18

Not the first complaint of this sort I've heard about empire mud, though i urge anyone to check out this topic about rise of empires a project which attempts to run and expand empire mud in a farer way.

@Orko, as someone who has played hundreds of multiplayer online games, it's incorrect to tar all games with this brush. Empire mud seems unusual for this sort of thing (heck I once had a run in with the admins myself).
there are plenty of muds and browser games out there with extremely good and helpful staff who don't play favourites, hell in many muds like Alteraeon competition is opt in rather than universal anyway.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-21 22:03:42

I'm tempted to go to where you were and build shit their while being completely quiet about it, but keep it up just to piss her off.

2018-01-21 22:24:26

Chances are you can't. with my shit being gone she's probably finally decided to claim that land. Hell, it wouldn't even shock me if he just seeded everything I own including assloads of resources to her.

2018-01-21 23:53:21

That's bullshit. If I ran a game like that, I'd be probably pretty iron fisted, in other words, not taking shit from people and heavy on the ban hammer, but I wouldn't just be like oh hey there pretty lady, here's some dude's land who I'll just act like a complete douche to, taking it even though he played by the rules, etc.

The kicker of this is the dude Khufu seems cool enough to talk to, he was helping me solve some problems I was having with the server etc. So, it kinda surprises me to hear this kinda stuff, but its happened from multiple peeps now so, yeah.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-21 23:56:43

It really is a shame; a game like this sounds right up my sleeve.  I tried to dork around with the one keywasfull was advertising/putting together; what do I know, but kept running into issues with it I never could iron out.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-22 01:19:15

He's really cool as long as you don't bother him. The instant you step on his friend's toes or something it's a huge issue. He'll chat with you when he feels like it, but he'll also get mad over the slightest of issues. If you chat on ooc for more than a few messages that someone isn't interested he'll force you to another chan... For someone who is hands off, he loves the control and god forbid you do anything.

2018-01-22 01:40:49

Would anyone be interested in screwing around with it if I fire it up, I'll grant level 6 access.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-22 01:58:02

I'm mildly urious enough to screw with it

Okay when I helped at AMS I was told, flat out, you have an admin acount, you have a player account, they stay seperated, I saw one admin get removed for pulling shit like in the OP,I didn't always agree with DK's stan on shit but I agree with that rule, yes. It's...sorta common sense, honestly.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-01-22 02:03:48

Actually, you know what...Iron, what's stopping you opening a server up to us and going all out on it if we don't break everything? Admittedly I know jack bout how Empire MUD works, I'm just liking the idea of a big ass game for us all to screw around on, that sounds like a good way to blow off steam honestly. Count me in for that if you open it up to everyone really

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-22 02:16:50

I actually don't care if you break everything, as long as people don't try to hack the actual machine the server is on, and write C code in empire or some stuff, I use that server for other things, and I would come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who tried to screw the machine over, and believe me, I would find them. I may not have the skill, but I know people that do tongue

That being said, I have no problem just opening up the game and letting people go nuts with it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-22 02:17:16

if you open it up count me in too

don't wish to become like the oceans, the flowers, or the sun. oceans will dry out, flowers will die, and the sun will be extinguished. be yourself and nothing and no one else and hope for a better tomorrow.

2018-01-22 02:23:00

Well....why not throw it on a different server, give us lot a brief tutorial and let us play and go all out? I'm down for that one actually. I wouldn't mind playing along with you lot since the majority of people seem decent and, shock, helpful in a game likelike this

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-22 02:41:44

because I don't feel like spending more money tongue I'll set it up though.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-22 02:45:48

Alright, shoot me a PM with a basic on how to play. Gonna assume I can just telnet in right...? I'll learn

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-22 03:29:55

OK, open to all, connection info follows:

ironlabs.servegame.com  port 4000

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-22 03:45:50

Well..that tutorial'd be helpful right now rofl....that trinket is sorta broken here

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-22 03:50:37

None of that stuff is gonna work lol.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-22 03:56:50

Well...I'm after a simple guide on what to  do

Also, I'm on as JaceK, can I have that level access you were on about?

Also on Linux natively