2017-08-29 17:45:37

Hey all, this is a nice change from all the technology posts this room seems to be full of, lol.
What are some ways people can cut food, or even cook, on a stove with burners. The reason i'm asking all this is, i'm 16 and I still hardly know how to cut food, when it comes to meat like pork chops or lam chops I pick them up, but that isn't really socially acceptable. I can cut steak, kind of, but I find it difficult when feeling it only with a fork and knife rather than actually touching the thing, which i still do quite a bit, unfortunately.
As far as cooking goes, I can use the microwave to heat up stuff, or use toasters, those aren't a problem. I can't use stoves or ovens though to be honest I've never really tried to.
If anybody can share tips as to how things like this are done, I'd apreciate it, i'm curious as to how other blind people do things like this.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-08-29 19:20:23

Cutting: uuuuugh I feel like there's some subtle detail that no one quite picks up on to explain all the edge cases. It is tempting to touch everything for reference, but it's a very good ability to be able to comprehend details indirectly, so the best I can come up with is "practice". If it helps, you can think of the silverware as a cane.
- LCB kitchen class covers things like cutting on an as-needed basis. There was one edicate lesson on this sort of thing, but the practice food was waffles, so all I can say is stab and saw until the texture under the knife changes.
Stoves: the only problem, here, is that every stove is a little different. So long as you don't have one of those touch screen abominations, you mostly just need to match the dial to the burner. I'd just say turn one on and see which one heats up. Probably by puting pans on the burners, as this is much safer than doing it by hand tongue. If you have a gas stove, the general rule is to turn the dial (all those I've seen should go counterclockwise), until the clicking gives way to a whoosh of ignission. Then turn it to the desired position. I can't quite help you with which is which on position, though. The gas stoves Ive used have high around 9o'clock, and medium around 6, but IDK. If you can get these labeled, that'd help a lot. I can't tell if there's a standard for electrics, though, but I think it's much safer to test electric burners.
Getting pans on burners is a little like cutting without touching, but easier, IMO. You should be able to feel if the pan is balanced or not, and if all else fails, uncovered heat is very easy to find (but try to avoid this, especially on gas). Oh, and you might have burners of different sizes. You can usually figure out if the burner is too small by how it balances when off center, but best to familiarize yourself with the locations of the differently-sized ones before you turn anything on, anyway. Be mindful of where any handles are pointing, and if you've got a stirring implement, by all means, use it instead of your hands to navigate a hot pan. (Disclaimer: I don't follow that last one strictly enough. Partly because I can usually remember where the pan-handles are, but this is bad practice and I still wind up bumping the pan sometimes, so I still recommend the long spoon / spatula method.)
Oven: the controls on these vary a lot, too. If you have a button-based oven, the best I can recommend is getting someone who knows which is which to either label them or tell you. Dials aren't actually much better, since some ovens use two dials (separating temperature from function), and some have only one. Again, labels are nice. That said, I've used a single-dial and a double-dial with broadly similar settings, where the 9-12 corner is where you point it for special functions like "clean" and "broil", and clockwise is for normal baking. The single-dial had temperatures start after 3 o'clock, and the doubles have mostly the same arrangement, just with a bigger selection. To be honest, I eventually realized that, unless you're baking pastries or something with a similarly picky recipe, it's fine to just point the temperature vaguely at the 4-5 corner, and just check on it periodically. And even with the recipes, I've found that quality of ingredients, ovens, and mixing vary a lot. That saying that baking is more an art than a science has proven fairly true, IME, but your mileage may vary.
Whatever pan/cookie sheet you're using gets to play the pseudocane role. Important is to get good at not spilling things on trays, since that is kinda important here, if easier. Which rack to use, if you have more than one, is usually o not important, and if it is, you'll probably know.

Unless you're going all-out and using Dark's Kevlar Chef's Gloves (I want those!), you can usually save the oven mitts for removing the pan from the oven, as you should not be getting close enough to touch the oven directly when you're inserting the cool pan. But if you want to be safe, go ahead; accidents happen to sighted people, too. If you have space on the stove, it's better to put the hot pan there, but a countertop is usually a safe alternative; just be sure there's nothing in the way _before_ removing the pan.
The poke-it-with-a-fork method for determining if something's done usually works, and sighted people use it for less visually obvious dishes (which is most pastries, IIUC). The tricky one is pizza, as the poke-it-with-a-fork method doesn't seem as reliable, there. Oh, and unless the instructions specify otherwise, the fork-testing should always aim for the center of the item to test, since that takes longest to cook.

You might also consider a George Forman grill. They're only marginally harder than a toaster, and that's mostly the part where you remove the item from the grill. (Or flip it, because apparently you still have to do that with certain meats even though it grills on both sides by default hmm ). I don't like flipping things with spatulas (spatulae?) and find it woefully easy to mess up. For meat, though, you can usually stab it with a fork and flip it that way. I still don't like using a spatula for grilled things (baked goods are fine), so I use tongs instead.

Hopefully that was more helpful than confusing. I can try to answer any other questions, but methinks Dark will be able to answer everything better than I can. big_smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-29 19:27:11

Addendum to cutting: I left out the part where you often need to tear/pull/push things apart, sometimes. This is usually the very last bit, and I still have no idea how to do it right. Mumble mumble angles.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-29 20:01:36

Lol thanks cae, i don't think I mentioned, but I have a glass top stove, so not really any way to tell where burners are aside from a very hard to feel circular line, of course not very usefull when the thing is on. I could feel heat from it when one's on, but no real way to tell where the center of it is when placing pans on it.

2017-08-29 20:23:13

For cooking, I use the microwave most of the time, and a toaster oven for the rest, with a few exceptions.

For steaks, I use a George Foreman grill, since I live alone, I have one that a 6 inch boneless rib eye fits on nicely. If you haven't gotten one yet and plan to, I highly recommend you get one with removeable plates, it makes clean up far easier.

I also have an air fryer, but haven't found what works best in it, most of what I've tried could have been done better using the toaster oven.

For cutting food at the dinner table I use a fork to determine the size and shape and from that the best way to cut off a bite. Mostly I do OK but if I start getting frustrated, I'll ask a family member to cut it up for me. My father usually volunteers before any one else can, unless we're already at the table, then the family member closest to me does it.

Over time and with practice I get better and better to the point that now it's rare for me to need help.

Also, no matter how fancy the setting, I am not shy about using my fingers when I feel it's needed. If anyone objects, I simply ask them if they need a blindfold. That usually settles the matter rather promptly.

2017-08-29 21:34:19

I'm starting to wonder if learning to use the stove/oven is worth the effort. I've successfully used the microwave, toaster, and a Foreman grill to prepare 99% of the food I want to eat on a daily  basis. I also want to learn to use a Crockpot. Has anyone used one? What are your experiences? As for cutting, I have to agree with everyone else. I either use my finger as a guide or a fork with the knife in the other hand for cutting. It may not look particularly nice, but I can cut something like a hunk of steak into small bite-sized pieces.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-08-29 22:23:44

Since I lost my sight, I find cutting hot food extremely frustrating. As a result I tend to cook meals that don't need cutting after cooking. These meals are also the easiest to prepare. Things like beef stew where you just cut everything into bite size pieces, put it in a big saucepan with beef stock, bring to the boil, and stew for a couple of hours stirring occasionally. Easy peasy. Or something like jambalaya where you cut up all the ingredients and put them in a pan with stock and uncooked rice, and simmer for 20 minutes or so without even stirring. Or noodle stir fry where you fry all the small pieces of chicken and vegetables with spices in a wok for a few minutes, , then add some cooked noodles for a minute or so at the end. All these meals can be eaten just with a fork or spoon no messing.
My tip for cutting up meat prior to cooking is to use scissors, it's so much easier than using a knife.
The way I work out whether the pan is over the burner or not is to position it while the burner is off, then stir stuff without moving the pan. If I need to move it, before heating anything, I feel how the edges of the pan line up with the edge of the cooker, as in how far in from the edge they are, then just use that as a rough guide to try to get it centred. It's not perfect, but it will have to do.
But my main tip is that single pot meals where everything is cut prior to cooking, and that don't rely on specific cooking times,  are definitely  your best bet as a blind person. Something like beef stew can be cooked anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours.

2017-08-29 22:51:12

At Chris: I'd say it's worth learning, even if you don't need it that often. But tbh I mostly only use the stove/oven 2-4 times a month.

As for flat-top stoves, I'm not sure how to handle those. I've been stuck with one before, but someone had gotten a ring of BURNiNATION around one of the burners, so thoroughly carbonized I wasn't sure it wasn't part of the stove. Still, the burners should be arranged in something of a square, so if you can find a non-fire-hasardous way to divide it into equal quadrants, the burners are probably at the center of those.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-30 00:34:25

If you're able to, get a NuWave induction cooktop and use that instead of a stove. The thing about that is that you can only use pans that are induction compatible. These are enameled iron and steel, stainless steel with a magnetic base, and cast iron. They're a lot safer because it only heats up where the pan is.

A NuWave oven would also be a good thing to get. It can bake, air fry, etc. Anything that you can put in an oven can be put in one of those as well.

All NuWave products have buttons or knobs last I knew, so no touchscreens.

2017-08-30 00:47:20

I use an electric stove with normal, non-flat top burners. It's been my experience that regular stoves like this have five knobs. The farthest left works the front left burner. The second works the back left. The third knob controls the oven. The fourth works the back right burner, and the farthest right works the front right burner. I am terrified of gas stoves and wouldn't use one if you paid me. I'm not comfortable with the flame. I've been cooking for ten years, and I'm still chicken about those.

I position the pot/pan on the burner while it's cool, and then turn the stove on to begin heating. I'll use light touches of my spoon or spatula against the pot and the edge of the burner to check position if my pot slides. Usually happens if I'm trying to stir something thick. I can't stress enough that these are quick, light touches to check position relative to the edge of the burner. I know oil or butter is ready when I can hear it start to sizzle. Another trick is to flick a very tiny amount of water off your fingers at your hot oil pan. If it sizzles angrily, it's ready. Again, I stress the very tiny part.

One of the first things I cooked on the stove was pasta and chili, but that requires a second pan to brown the ground meat or sautee up the veggies. Just doing pasta with sauce would be an easy start though. My plastic strainer pretty much fills up one side of my double basin sink, so it's pretty hard to miss when I'm pouring out the pasta. I use my fingers and the bottom of the pot against the metal sides of the sink to line up. It's hard to explain some of this. It just comes with years of practice.

Like Cae_jones said, stove knob at 3:00 is high, six medium, nine low. I can hear the bubbles when water starts to boil. The hissing sound changes to bubbles. You can hear tiny popping bubbles on the water's surface when it's nearly at a boil. Maybe if you had a specific food you wanted to make, I could give you more specific detailed instructions. I think the key is just having a safe space where you can practice and mess up. I have everything prepared, cut, and identified when I'm ready to cook. I want to focus on the stove, not trying to cut bell pepper while pasta is going. Alexa and your phone's timer will be helpful tools. I love alexa because I can name her timers.

Cutting will always be a struggle. I never order cuttable food in front of people I want to impress. I can cut a hunk of meat all right, but definitely not as well or neatly as a sighted person. I use my fork to test the shape and find an edge, and then just cut my knife in an angle right behind, touching the fork. I usually stab in a tiny bit away from the edge, and then cut right up against the fork. Again, it takes practice. It's easier done if you have a plate with only one other thing on it, like steak and mashed potatoes. Cutting the giant leaves in salad is still a pain in the butt for me. Just one more reason to avoid salad.

Find something that sounds easy to start, like pasta with sauce from a jar. Then, maybe you want to try a soup, since you can usually just throw things in the pot. After ten years, I still struggle with certain things. I hate frying bacon or potstickers, because the grease pops my arm. I attempted to sear a giant pork roast on the stove, and realized how much easier it would have been if I was sighted. I got the hunk of pig flipped over and it landed in the pan, but it was difficult. One option to consider is an electric skillet. We have the West Bend brand. You'll need to label the temperature control on the cord, but it's basically a deep rectangular pan that sits on your countertop. Good for stir fries, or just to have some more space for you to work in while you're learning. Cooking is such a big topic. Please post up with more questions!

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2017-08-30 01:16:51

I'll second chris's thought about learning to use the range. Thinking I would need it for cooking, I bought one of those talking infrared thermometers, but then wound up doing 99% of my cooking with a microwave, toaster oven, and a Foreman grill, and never use the thermometer.

Cutting your food while eating at the table is as much art as it is science, and the only real way to learn how to do it is to practice. It will take time but you'll eventually get it.

2017-08-30 02:32:34

I love the Foreman grill! It cooks on both sides which means I don't have to mess with flipping things in a pan on the stove. So far I've only done steaks and hamburgers on the grill, but I assume porc chops would workas well? Is there anything else that works well with the Foreman?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-08-30 05:34:22

You can cook lots of other things on that grill. Fish, sandwiches, some formans let you make pancakes.

2017-08-30 05:58:10

I mostly use the Forman for quesadillas. However, that does mean there's much more cleanup to do afterward. (And somehow I lost my drip-pan and have to set up something inferior instead sad ).

Agreed that the talking meat thermometer is not something I really need. I might use it if I ever need to use a gas/charcoal grill, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-08-30 10:20:55

I actually use the oven a lot for doing all sorts of things from fish to spare ribs.
As a general rule the first thing you should get is a good pair of oven gloves, and by gloves I mean gloves! not mits, or those really stupid hand protectors that look like boxing gloves.

I have two sets of Kevlar chef's gloves (yes they are actually made of Kevlar), and for those picking up tray, putting tray into hot oven and reversing process is no problem.
Ditto when I need to put a pan on the top ring of the oven, I can just put on my chef's gloves and feel where it is,  the only thing I tend to consistently use the top rings for is pasta and stir fries, though stir fries are a little problematic if your just getting use d to things being as you have to sit and stir oil in a hot wok on a ring.
For marking the oven, bumpons are your friends. These are small, stick on rubberized dots, and can be stuck on nearly everything as guides or markers. While braille labels are good there isn't always space for them.;

We're currently in the process of moving house, and the oven in the new place has one of those glass tops with no tactile demarcation for the rings, but hay no problem, we just stick a couple of bumpons in significantly places around the circumference and then I can just slide the pan over those.

Being as Mrs. Dark and I both prefer cooked vegies to salad, we have an electric steamer for doing vegetables. This is really awesome and very easy to use, just pour boiling water in the bottom (if you can make a cup of tea you can do this), then stick the steamer bit on the top and turn the knob and walk away for 20 minutes.

I also love our George forman grille, since it's great for burgers, steak, bacon etc, and we even have one with detachable plates.
for chilly, curry, spaghetti and such, I have a slow cooker, what is sometimes called a crock pot.
this is again great to use, just   chuck in minced beef or whatever along with sauce, turn the knob and walk away for about six hours.

oh and yes, we do have a microwave as well, a talking one no less, though of course you need to be careful what you actually cook in the mike.

One thing I did notice is that in the states nobody seems to have an electric kettle, meaning that if you need boiling water for anything from tea to making pasta, you always! had to boil on the stove itself. this seems really primitive to me, also it was a little irritating since it meant while I was staying with my lady's sister's family I couldn't even make her a cup of tea, also me being a coffee snob, I'm afraid that using a cafateir is rather superior to an electric percolator big_smile.
Still, coffee aside, I can say if you don't have an electric kettle that would make lots of things more difficult, eg, the steamer I mentioned above, since the amount of times in cooking one just needs to boil some water is quite surprising.

I'll say cooking isn't a problem, with mrs. Dark and I it is me who takes care of the cooking, though I would like to be a better cook than I am currently, since mostly I tend to cook by a way of "chuck food in cooking appliance and walk away and it'd be nice to be able to make more things than I do, still we get on very well.
For cutting food while I (and indeed Mrs. Dark as well), will use fingers on occasion and at home, there are far too many points where that will just increase the alienation factor.
Yes if anyone says anything you can explain, but mostly people will avoid you, especially in certain classes of company, and increasing avoidance of weird visually impared people is generally something to cut down on.

I believe in the states it's a little difficult, but in the uk, you stab whatever your cutting with the fork first, usually try and find near the edge. Then move the knife down to the end of the fork and move a short distance and then saw. What you do need of course is a good cutting knife, since especially for things like steak, a blunt knife can be a pain.
For smaller things like new potatoes or ravioli you can just stab them one at a time, and for even smaller things you can employ the knife to keep stuff on fork.

the major problem comes with things like pastry pies where the pastry has a tendency to move, and usually the best thing to do there is employ a little force in the hand with the knife and hack away, because even if the pastry crumbles you can scoop the thing later.

Also, it's good to judge where you are and what to have.
I was at music school last time and specifically asked if chicken was on the bone before ordering, as the last thing I would want to do would be embarrassing myself by struggling with a bone, indeed in  it is often better to  when you order to have something carved for you.

Of course there are some things like spare ribs or pizza which nobody! in their right mind would use a knife and fork with, so it's usually a matter of just being experienced enough with such things to know when you can deviate, when to ask for something and when to change what your having.

it also depends upon the company. If I were having a very formal dinner at my university with an eminent academic as I have previously, or heck, just meeting my phd superviser for lunch, I would always! try and be as careful as possible  also to order something fairly easy to handle, eg, not spaghetti, (mrs. Dark has been known to ask if Spaghetti can be changed for a different sort of pasta when ordering). Ditto when I'm at music school and busy performing and hopefully getting more chances to perform from it.

if I'm just at home cooking for Mrs. Dark and I, then who cares if we just  pick things like fish up and munch them anyway big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-30 11:59:15

How's this for dangerous. I use a gas cooker, but am very careful to keep the tea towel on the other side of the kitchen. I never leave anything flammable on the counter tops where the cooker is, just in case. But how's this for irresponsible. I get my groceries delivered, and all the delivery guys know I'm blind, and even if they didn't ,it's blatantly obvious. Normally they hand me the sheet of paper with the receipt stapled to it, but one day a guy said I'll put this up here. I assumed he'd put the receipt on the counter top next to the cooker. As I was unpacking my stuff, I looked for the receipt but couldn't find it. He'd put it directly on the gas hob. To this day I wonder what the hell that guy was thinking.

2017-08-30 13:25:12

@Flackers, that is rather different in the states than in the Uk I believe, since here generally you cut a bight sized peace of steak or sausage or something and then eat it, then cut another piece etc, this actually makes things easier since you are always dealing with a single peace of steak or sausage or whatever that decreases in size as time changes, ditto with something like Broccoli, which makes life easier since you go back to the same place for the previous mouthful once you've eaten the first bit.

With burgers, I've found it depends upon the size and design of burger.
If it is small enough, eg, sandwich sized that you can pick it up yourself generally it's okay to do so if your in an environment where burgers are sold.

If it is a truly monstrous burger, the sort that has a cocktail stick up the middle, generally what is best to do is deconstruct bits of it and use knife and fork for the rest, eg, lift the top peace of bread off with fingers and put on the plate, then use a knife and fork

I once at Tgi Fridays had an awesome burger called the warrior composed of two burgers separated  dry crumbed mozzarella and gurkin, so I literally  each ruger  and ate them like parts of a sandwich, though admittedly I was out with my brother at the time and Tgi Fridays is not exactly the worlds' most auspicious restaurant.

The one part of your advice I would disagree with is handling stuff on the bone.

steak or lamb chops on the bone isn't too bad, since ther eis one large bone running down one side so you can cut to it as you suggest, however chicken on the bone if you get a half chicken or the like is much more a pain since the boens go in different directions.
On those occasions I would either A, ask the chef to debone the meat in the kitchen before serving (most restaurants will do this), B, order something else if I think the restaurant is too busy or if I'm say at music school and there are only two or three menu choices, or C, just pick the bugger up if I'm in a social setting where that would be okay, eg, one of my favourite starters at Tgi Fridays has the amusing name of "bucket of bones!" which is a huge stack of ribs, chicken legs and wings, and nobody in their right mind would use a knife and fork for those big_smile.

With pizza, I do know what you mean, since ultra thin, very large Italian style pizza can be necessary to eat with a knife and fork, though generally speaking I've encountered this less often, and usually pizza will come in slices sufficient to pick up and munch.

Then again, usually when I'm at the nicest sort of Italian restaurant, as for example I was with my lady's    celebratory meal before our wedding, the last thing I would order would be pizza because there are so many more interesting things on the menu big_smile.

One thing I will say and one custom in the states I did find more difficult relates to desert. In England it is usual to have both a spoon and fork for a desert course, this is useful because you can stab with the fork and keep your cake still and then use the spoon to cut, and because once you've cut a peace of gateaux or similar you can push it around and keep control of it with the. Often in restaurants I'll ask for a cake fork in addition to a spoon if they just give a spoon since it makes life quite a bit easier.

Then again as my lady and I have discussed there are some differences in Uk and Us table etiquette, for example in the Uk we don't have a salad course (thank goodness for that since I hate salad!), :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-08-30 14:56:34

I started cuitting hot food by cutting a slice of bread with a bread knife.
Then I felt the sizes of the pieces.
When they were just the right size,
I put some butter on the bred squares and a little garlic power and microwave them to make crutons.
We bought an electric range with the old fashioned electric parts raised up so we could feel them.
We stuck rubber dots around the dial at 1:00 o'clock for high and 6:00 o'clock for simmer.
We use a small talking timer to time when cooking on the stove.
We also bought a pot with a locking lid that has holes.
There are two angles near the handle that the lid slides into thus locking it onto the pot.
When doing pasta we cook it until done then turn the pot over in the sink to drain it.

2017-08-30 15:02:04

I'm actually in canada, not the US. As for post 16 I believe, when i've been shown how to cut steak i'm usually told to cut a piece off using the ways you described with a knife and fork, then eat it and continue cutting as you go. This is quite a slow way of doing things I find, as usually when sighted people help me with things like this they just cut the whole thing up at once, and i'd prefer to do it that way. I don't really think there's anything wrong with doing that though, i may try it.
Dark, i never thought about asking meat to be carved before serving it, that would be very convenient, That's something to keep in mind.

2017-08-31 08:53:43

We interupt your regular forum posting to bring you the following message:
The spam bots have found us. Everybody take shelter. Please, protect your children, and your pets. Do not expose them to the spam.
Lol sorry, its 3 am and im having sleeping problems again. As for the last actual person on here, post 20 I believe, yes, I have always been told to cut a piece, then eat it, and continue cutting as you go, slow as that may be.

2017-08-31 12:38:14

The only advantage of cutting
a piece, then eating it, and then continue cutting would be to keep the food warmer, but in my mind would take much too long.
I cut everything that needs cutting then eat it, or in a restaurant have the server cut the food in the kitchen.
They have never said no to this request.
To have social pressure force you to do something else seems to me like you are acting not as an independent adult but as a dependent child.

2017-08-31 15:09:03

I used to work in a kitchen at a pub, and used the thumb method for discovering how done a steak is. I don't know if this will be helpful or not but it couldn't hurt.
When you touch the first finger of one hand to the thumb of the same hand, it makes the fleshy part of your hand beneath your thumb tighten up, and if you use your other hand to poke that fleshy part, that's how rare steak feels, in terms of how firm it is. If you touch your middle finger to your thumb, again same hand, that's medium rare. Ring finger to your thumb, that's medium. Pinky finger to your thumb, that's well done.

2017-08-31 18:05:01

Ah, thanks for explaining that, there's a blind youtuber tommy edison, channel is tommy edison experience i believe, he did a video where he cooked a burger on a george forman grill but since was doing it to show sighted people how he cooked without sight he didn't explain the thumb tecnique when he was doing it. I've been curious as to what that was. My only question for you is how do you apply that to the steak? Like do you use a fork to feel it or your hand? I would imagine you used a fork, since your probably checking when its still on the grill?

2017-08-31 19:08:33

I feel it with my finger, just poke it real quick. If the grill is really hot then maybe take it off first and only touch the cold side. Or you could just practice with a fork or spoon poking your hand, so you get used to the sensation through the implement.

2017-09-03 19:34:09

Wow I forgot about this topic, though I have been able to slay the spammage so people can come out from behind the sofa big_smile.

@Dsw, that is interesting, I have never heard of that, though I do regularly poke meat, both steak and chicken with a fork to see if it's done. That being said for things like burgers on the George time is always good, I know for example that your average thickness of burger will take 7 minutes on the George exactly, while a slice or two of bacon will take 5, so usually I work on that basis.

@Phil, What Tjt says about customs is correct. In England if you asked your food to be cutup in  a restaurant you would come off as rather helpless, since pre-cutting everything is only done for young children over here, socially your expected to cut with a knife and fork as you go along.
since I have always been taught to eat that way, it does not seem slow to me, and the process of stab, hack, munch is a fairly rapid one when you get  it down :d.