2017-06-11 06:01:27

Hello guys!
I'm doing computer sciences, and I have a question:
How did you work with the graphics? Do you recommend a Braille display for this, or is it not possible to represent the images in it?

2017-06-11 06:28:12

What kinds of graphics do you mean? Braille displays are mostly good only for text. In theory, they can be used for more complicated things, or to show more formatting information, but in practice, that doesn't happen much, especially given the space limitations.
IMO, there are ways to make most visual elements accessible, though not necessarily practically ATM.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-06-11 06:36:22

My own paint tool [BrushTone] has braille display support, though by neccessity the exact level of detail is somewhat abstracted and you can only view one horizontal row at a time based on the cursors position. It also includes a few other components like [Peter Meijers] image to sound rendering for getting a general view of a particular region, and tones for the RGBA values of individual pixels. I've come across a few other tools like [TactileView] that seems to focus a bit more on the braille aspect, [SVGDraw01], and [BlindPaint].

Generally you can approach graphics in a mathematical way, starting with the window resolution and geometrically placing objects based on their dimensions within the bounds of the window. For example a window thats 640x480 with 32x32 tiles can fit 300 tiles, 20 per horizontal row with 15 rows.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-06-11 18:41:28

Geometric graphs in discrete mathematics, for example

2017-06-11 23:16:36

Hmm. I know you can calculate graphs with TactileView, there are a variety of tutorials like [this] on youtube for it, but i'm not sure if it can handle Geomatric Graphs specifically. The best case scenario would probably be processing the Geometric Graph and outputting it through their TactiPad so you can feel it physically on the sheet, or printing it out through a braille printer, although all of that equipment is rather expensive.

Another possible option would be to 3D print it as a tactile surface, though there is currently no accessible 3D CAD/design tools and prints can be time intensive depending. If multi-row braille displays were available on the market it would be a different matter, but all of them are either in the prototype stage or vapourware at this point.

2017-06-12 05:45:15

I suppose I've been so isolated from this sort of thing that I never thought to look up CAD instead of "design" or "modeling". Looking for "open source CAD" enough results that I have to imagine that at least one of them can be rendered reasonably accessible.
I don't know how any of these open source programs would fair if intended to output in an accessible manner, but I could see some of them being somewhat adaptable for designing. Open Stack has a scripting-based input method, and Free CAD has an Open Stack module. I'm interested in BRL CAD simply due to nomitive determinism. tongue

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-06-12 05:57:00

Well [OpenSCAD] which has a braille plugin and [TinkerCAD] for online editing were recommended in an article for accessible 3D printing, though [this] same article also went on to say that there is no CAD software accessible to the blind.

2017-06-18 01:19:35

What kind of geometric graphs? Do you mean 3D? When I took Discrete Math courses, I just used low-tech solutions because I didn't feel like dealing with electronic solutions that may or may not work. Check out the Draftsman from APH. They're also working on a higher-tech solution known as the Graphiti. I trust you're able to perform search on aph.org to find them.
Hope this helps.