2016-08-15 08:50:25

Hello.
Please tell me which tool is selected for game development? C ++ or BGT?
My goal is to create a game with an open world. Games like GTA, Mafia, Call of duty.
Is it possible to create such games in BGT?

2016-08-15 11:37:17 (edited by momo7807 2016-08-15 11:40:48)

Hi You can use both languages, however if you are going to use c++ and if you don't have any programing experience, be prepared to memorize all of the operators, strange symbols, functions etc. Also in C++, you should take care of memory sizes, pointers, and other things that can cause headaches. Anyway, you can use both, but bgt is lot easier than C++, but C++ gives more control than bgt. Hope this helps.

2016-08-15 12:15:56

I used to think about C # / Python. But then I learned that the automatic memory for the open-world game will stop.
BGT will be able to cope with a huge map, and work at the same time in 2000 objects?

2016-08-15 18:43:24

keep these things in mind.
bgt makes things really easy to get off the ground and going, but you'll be limited to what bgt offers. which includes, but is not limited to: bgt only makes audio games, bgt commonly perpetuates bad coding structure and practices, and you'll get little to no support from mainstream sources if you have bgt issues.
where C++ you can code anything under the sun you can think up, you have many modules/libraries people have coded to assist you, if you have issues an answer is probably just a google away, and you should have many of the issues associated with bgt games if you do everything right such as super lag in online games and other issues.
it is worth noting that C++ may be a steeper learning curve when starting out because as post 2 said there is lots of things to keep track of such as memory management and pointers and the like. but it will be better in the long run if you end up learning how to master those things.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2016-08-15 19:03:44

I think the first question to ask here is, how much programming experience do you already have to start with?

As for Python, it handles memory management and free's up memory using a process called "Garbage Collection". If written properly it will never "run out" of memory, though that depends on the system your working with and how you write the code. Contrary to what some people may think, open world games are not loaded into memory all at once because this would require a vast amount of memory and processing power that target systems usually don't have. Typically such games load only the players immediate area into memory, removing and loading nearby sectors as they move so the world actually loads around them, things like characters or game persistent variables are then handled abstractly in the background. This is partially why games have "draw distances", which sets how much of the world to load around them.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-08-16 10:04:42

hello
the answer is, yes you can write games like GTA or call of duty or other things in bgt, but in C++, you must deal with pointers and things which make's your life harder, but if you know how to use it, you will end up with a grate performance
i'm currently using bgt for developing my game, because it is easier than C++ and it has everything already in it, and also i'm using the DLLS with it
but, it is up to you, for these kind of games, you must write many many lines of code
another advantage that C++ has is, it has a very very big user base, so, if you search on google, you will get many many answers at least in stack overflow

2016-08-16 10:52:14

Jonikster, visualstudio is correct that the short answer is yes, you can use BGT to make those types of games.

If you were going to type out a paper for school, you might ask everyone if you should use notepad, wordpad, or microsoft word.  Really it doesn't matter which typing program you use because the paper all depends on what you have in your head that you will be typing.  In the end the paper that you turn in will not be different because you typed it with a different program.  On something like notepad you can just immediately start typing because it is less complicated of a program.  With MS word you may need to set up your page header, formatting, font size, and a few other things in order to make it look like how you want in the end.  So it really depends on how much extra "stuff" you care about doing before you type your paper.  If you want to spend the extra time to set up MS word, then in the end you can do a few extra things with how your paper will appear.  If you use notepad you can start typing right away and get done sooner, because you didn't have to play around with all those extra options.

It isn't the best comparison, but choosing between BGT and C++ could be thought of in a similar way.  If you use BGT you can probably start making small games sooner, because it is meant to do many things for you.  You could think of this like notepad where you can get moving much quicker, but miss out on some features that you may or may not even care about.  With C++ you are probably going to spent much longer just learning the basics, so you won't be producing any games anytime real soon.  If you do take the time to learn it though, you will be able to do some things that were not built into BGT.  As stated above, BGT is meant only for audio games but C++ can make anything.

Now I will add a bit of advice that is only my personal opinion.  I often hear people say that people should learn C++ instead of BGT because C++ code is something they can use later if they have a job as a programmer.  Basically the idea is that they don't want you to have to learn BGT and then learn something else later.  I would personally not worry about needing to learn something extra, in fact, the best programmers I have ever known knew a lot of different languages/approaches.  Each new one you learn helps you think a little differently about coding strategies.
I mean no one ever says "Don't play Monopoly because the controls are different than FPS games you might play later."  Learn the controls for Monopoly now and then learn the controls for the next game when you come to it.  It's a normal part of life, and it seems strange to me that so many people try to avoid that when it comes to programming languages.  Okay, that's the end of my little opinion on the matter.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-08-19 16:42:20

in my idea, eatch programmer must be able to learn more programming languages, because they might need them in the fewture
bgt is hire level, but it does not mean it can't make your performance better, everything depend's on how you code the software or game, maybe a C++ app can have a very very bad performance!, but in C++, because of existance of pointers, you have a lot more to do