2016-02-10 17:09:12

Hi guys. I went to the tobacconist and got a nice pipe, which I enjoy. The trouble is, the person neglected to show me how to operate the lighter, and I don't think that the one I have now is quite safe, as it is rather small and my hand eats it up. So, what are your favorite kinds of lighters?

2016-02-11 01:57:05

do you want emphysema

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2016-02-11 02:18:55

I had this dual flame butane torch lighter, meant for lighting cigars evenly, but the second flame wouldn't work. The way it worked is, its this small metallic thing with a curved bottom. The top was this little gate thing and it also curved up to where it met the rest of the affair. All you would have to do is press the switch, button whatever down and the little gate / guard thing would swing out, giving access to the barrels, and it would light. The trigger / switch / button thingy was a ridged thing that sort of curved to meat the contour of your finger. On the bottom were two holes. The bigger one was where you would refill the butane. The stuff comes in cans, but instead of an aerosol top button pressy thing like lysol or something, its top was nubbed. You just put the nub of the top into the hole at the bottom of the lighter, and pressed down. The valve in the can would open up and let the stuff flow into the tank on the lighter. The second hole was for a screw driver, a tiny one, to adjust and air / fuel mixture. It actually got to be quite dangerous which is why I drained it and tossed it. Admittedly, it could have been my fault for messing around with that adjustment when it started to act up and not want to light, even with plenty of butane in it.

Yeah, I remember one time the gas came on without me even using it. I threw it away at that point since it could be dangerous like that. And the thing got to the point where it was unreliable.

P.S. I suck at describing things.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-02-11 02:31:39

I confess I have something of an antipathy towards smoking generally, both on in terms of it's affects and health (remember I sing very seriously and don't want to damage my voice or lungs), and because I really! dislike the smell, especially of cigarettes. I have however used a friend's lighter to light candles when we were having a bbq and did a few experiments that way.

The thing I found works best for candles at least are long cooks matches, sinse you have a lot of burn time, they're easy to light, the flame is audible as well as visible and it's fairly easy to run your candle (or I suppose your pipe or whatever), along the shaft to light them.

Not sure if this helps but there you go.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-11 20:24:56

If you have a grill that uses propane, and the damnable electric igniter goes out on it, as they inevitably do, one thing you can do is use one of those long matches, so you turn the bottle on, and you turn one of the burners on low and you go down below the grill and there will be a hole there, this is where you can touch the flame to, and the burner will go. Find this before so you don't have the gas on for too long before hand, but it will work. It won't blow up on you, since the fire will go up and not go down through the hole on you.

Candle lighters will do the same. These, for those who don't know, are somewhat long things with a barrel on the end. Some have trigger guards, some now, also some will have a safety device that you need to press or push up on before you can use the trigger. This is a childproof thing. Anyway, you do that then pull the trigger, you can then let go of that safety thing.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-02-14 21:03:41

One thing Iron Cross forgot to mention about lighting gas grills. Always open the cover and leave it that way until the grill is lighted. That will prevent the gas from building up to dangerously explosive levels.

2016-02-14 22:52:49

right

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-02-15 17:35:07

Oh, I almost forgot, regarding smoking, I am so thankful I managed to quit seven and a half years ago, and so far, I've had no cravings, desires, or thoughts of ever picking up that habit again.

2016-02-15 22:00:36

Most blind smokers use BIC lighters. I don't know if they work well with pipes; I'be never smoked.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-02-15 22:12:16

They might, I don't know if you have to light pipes so carefully as you do with cigars, if you light a cigar unevenly, it could go out, or just burn weird. That's why they make those cigar cutters, which are these little devices with two finger holes opposite each other, if you have the thing separated, there is a hole in the middle, but as you bring it together, a metal edged piece slides in, that's how it cuts the end off, its just like a blade, similar to that of a utility knife, but not cut at a 45 degree angle. The idea is you chop off the end, its important to get a clean cut, then you take care to light it evenly then its a good smoke. You can light a cigar with a bic lighter, but its better with something butane, or with dual flames like that torch lighter that I had.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-02-18 08:14:53

About 30 years ago I tried smoking a pipe for a while. If my memory is correct, it helps a lot to light the pipe evenly across the whole bowl, so a flame about twice as big as the flame you'd need to light a cigarette helps.

2016-02-18 15:26:13

Head back to the smoke shop, he should be able to sell you a decent butane lighter. You can light a pipe with a standard Bick, but its painful on the thumb and you really have to practice aiming the flame to get into and around the pipe bowl. A butane will give you a larger and more audible flame to work with, so aiming practice is again necessary but it becomes a tad easier especially in windy environments. When it comes to the pipe, its also necessary to pack it properly so it'll burn uniformly across the whole bowl. Google this topic, you'll learn a thing or two. HTH

2016-02-18 20:10:09

Bics are butane lighters, if you buy the bigger ones, they have a wheel that allows you to adjust the flame size. The Bic can easily provide a proper flame for lighting a pipe.

2016-02-19 01:29:04

Ah, you're talking about the ones that are more rectangular in shape, I've found those to be a pain in the arss generally. When I was a smoker I always gravitated to the more ovoid shaped Bicks that did not come with a flame adjustment nob under where the flame comes out. The other advantage to the ovoid ones is that with a key, you could easily de-safety them thus creating a lot less stress on your lighting thumb where that other variety, which to be honest I don't think is even made by Bick, you were stuck with the safety. Also, even with a larger flame, those adjustable benzine lighters never work well in the wind.

2016-02-19 03:47:42

Rectagular Bics must be new. In all of the 30 years that I smoked, I've never run across a rectangular Bic, they were all ovals. And yes, the small ones didn't have a flame size adjustment, but the big ones, also known as the original Bic, did have the flame size adjustment.

2016-03-07 14:56:44

I finally figured out how to operate the Bic. The person at the store didn't explain that the flame comes out of the top rather than the bottom, so a burnt thumb and half a scorched bowl proved a valuable lesson.

2016-03-09 12:45:08

When I was Smoking for a short time, I first used a small lighter with a Kind of pipe at the end where the flame came out. Nice for lighting cigarettes or things further away from you, because you could adjust the flame. You pressed a button to activate the flame.
Then I bought an adjustable storm lighter which didn't work. You could push the lighter to open and let out the gas, but there was no flame.
I left it alone when I showed the lighter to a clooeague. I wasn't sure wether this Thing would go off when I absolutely don't expect it. I was supposed to Show him the huge ammount of smelling gas coming out, so I carefully opened the lighter and a very unexpected flame burst came out of it. I nearly burned my Hand and my colleagues face felt very warm, although he was sitting a few meters away from me.
Since then I preferred a BIC lighter, because the firestone method was more reliable to me.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2016-05-30 06:29:24

Figment wrote:

One thing Iron Cross forgot to mention about lighting gas grills. Always open the cover and leave it that way until the grill is lighted. That will prevent the gas from building up to dangerously explosive levels.

I totally agree with your point.

2016-05-30 15:39:35

@Ironcross, I know this is late but my apologies, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know that safety tip, it was more directed at anyone just starting out using gas grills.

2016-05-31 05:51:24

I have what is called a flameless USB Travel lighter. has anyone ever heard of those? The USB pare comes out of the bottom so you can... you got it... charge it. It is very very simular to a zippo lighter. I got it online for about 12 bucks. It has a little coil that heats up when you open it. You have to put your cigar, or cigarette directly on the coil to light it. so it works quite wel for a blind person. Oh, aso, it is wind resistant. which helps when you smoke outside.

2016-05-31 15:03:58

I've heard of those but never had one, and since I quit smoking over seven years ago, I probably never will.

2016-05-31 20:03:08

I have to confess that I've never heard of USB flameless lighters, the concept sounds interesting, I had the luck to try a flameless lighter a few times in a car though. I prefer to use a BIC lighter to light my cigarettes, they're very good quality and they last for months. and when you are out of gass you can just replace it, they are very cheap. lighting a cigarette is tricky because you have to carefully adjust the position of the cigarette, what I do is I keep the lighter in one hand and with the other I keep the cigarette with the point that must be lit directly above but not touching the place where the fire will get out and light it, the tip must not pass the hole above the lighter or your cigarette might get lit wrong which is a bad idea to do. and also I keep my fingers a few centimetres from the tip so I don't burn them.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2016-05-31 23:35:44

I would think that after a while, muscle memory would put the lighter in the right place to properly light the cigarette.

2016-06-05 22:24:22

@figment np man, I  guess I never thought much about that, I mean, if you're gonna use a grill,  then first take off the cover and get it away from the grill.

So whilst talking to some  others, one said that he didn't want to use a gas grill due  to safety concerns, and I can  say that as long as you take precautions, and follow  the  right steps, you can use the gas grill fine.

Step 1 Move the grill out of its storage place and onto the deck / balcony or  whatever  surface you're going to use it on. And clear away all things that  wouldn't be safe to have   around the  grill, like flammable substances or things. Like, if you have a rug drying on the rail, take it away.
Step 2, and this is  first step and last when operating a gas grill. Turn the bottle all the  way  on. This  means find  the valve on the bottle under  the  grill and turn it counter clockwise  all the way. Making sure its  actually connected  to the grill, and get someone  to show you how to connect it.
Step 3 open the lid  all the way and turn one of the inside burners on. inside meaning that  it should be not an attached  burner on the  side of  the grill, but actually inside the grill, under  the lid.  Turn the burner to the correct position for lighting, indicated by the label on the  grill and by the instruction manual.
Step 4 operate the igniter, this can be either  the push  button type,  where each time you press the button, it sparks the grill and eventually will light it, or it can be the  electrical type, where you hold down the buttonn. You'll  hear  a  series  of clicks with this  latter type, this means each click is a spark. When the grill lights, stop using  the   igniter.
Step 5 turn on the other burners you wish  to use, most times these burners will light due to the adjacent flames and  do not require additional use of the igniter.
Step 6 Do your cooking, adjusting the burners  as needed by whatever you're going  to grill.
Step 7  when done, turn off all  the burners, and very important, turn off the bottle. Turning the  valve clockwise until it cannot  go  any further. Then wait for things to cool down so you can  close the lid  and put the  cover back on, then you  can move the  grill into its storage  position.

Gas  grills usually have some sort of undercarriage that  stores the  bottle. When you have  the bottle  off and are  not grilling, it is not necessary to disconnect the bottle. Most people I know don't do  this because the valve stops the gas from going into the grill and causing dangerous gas buildup. As I said, Do not turn the gas  all the way up to light,  this can cause flare ups and the flames will jump very high out of the grill. Turn  the  burner instead to the correct position for lighting.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-06-11 08:34:33

hi guys for looking a gasgrill click this link
natural gas grill